Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

compsys wrote: »
    Of course. I'm not saying Dublin's weather is better overall than those cities. It's not imo.

But we're talking about water restrictions and access to water. In which case 700mm of rainfall is the same amount no matter where or how it falls really.

Irish people seem to think that because our 700mm/800mm is spread out over so many days that it's more than the 700mm or so that falls elsewhere in sunnier climates. It's not.

The point still stands that in terms of water falling from the sky that we can capture for drinking etc, we get far less than a lot of other cities. In Dublin at least.

But Dublin's water supply comes from Wicklow, where total rainfall is multiples of that which falls on Co. Dublin itself. The annual Wicklow total should be enough to supply Dublin's needs but it's not because more than half of it gets lost through leaks. But in Dublin itself, an annual total of around 700 mm it means that every square metre of roofing gets 700 litres of rain falling onto it. A typical semi-detached roof could therefore yield tens of thousands of litres of collectable rain water per year, which would go some way to preserving the main reservoir stocks in spells like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I also find it strange, and I mentioned this in the drought thread, that so much water gets flushed out into our oceans. There's a stream that runs by my house, a small stream but it goes a very long distance and ends up out at sea.

Could this not be diverted into a resovoir if needed with the flick of a switch and put through the cleaning process? There's been no rain for a while and it's still flowing strongly. Similar scenes right across the country and seems like quite a waste. Is it just that it is too much money? If that's the case then they would need to start putting money aside for such projects as this is most likely the future

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like most areas will see showers today and tomorrow, some of them look quite heavy, a few mm of rain is possible in some areas if they manage to get a few heavy showers throughout the day while other areas will get very little if they avoid the showers. Looks very showery over much of Europe over the next 2 to 3 days.

The low pressure and cool conditions that we are experiencing is now quite widespread across Europe stretching down to northern Spain and most of the continent as far as Poland, plenty of cool and unsettled weather. The warmth is now confined to Greece and southern Spain.

temp_eur2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Bucketing down in Dublin 5 now

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like most areas will see showers today and tomorrow, some of them look quite heavy, a few mm of rain is possible in some areas if they manage to get a few heavy showers throughout the day while other areas will get very little if they avoid the showers. Looks very showery over much of Europe over the next 2 to 3 days.

The low pressure and cool conditions that we are experiencing is now quite widespread across Europe stretching down to northern Spain and most of the continent as far as Poland, plenty of cool and unsettled weather. The warmth is now confined to Greece and southern Spain.

temp_eur2.png

Any chance of thundery showers in this upcoming warmth spell and does it look to b a prolonged spell like 2018

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    Any chance of thundery showers in this upcoming warmth spell and does it look to b a prolonged spell like 2018

Not much chance of thundery showers for us over the next week but there is a chance we could turn thundery in about a week to 10 days time, that depends if we get warmth + instability from the continent. Over the course of next week we will watch how this warm spell develops and we will have a better idea of how long we get warmer weather and if things become more unstable with thunderstorms throwing into the mix. Lots of model watching over the next week. Right now it is far too early to tell how the weather will perform from mid week with any great confidence. It does appear once we get this weekend out of the way we are going to have a mostly dry week next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Very blustery in the heavy rain at the moment. We had escaped the showers up till now.

Very blustery in the heavy rain at the moment. We had escaped the showers up till now.

we've had a few showers here in Meath already but as soon as they start they are already over. A few damp patches on the ground every now and then but they dry out very quickly. Looks to be a fairly beefy shower heading my way now, this will effect the north Kildare area over the next hour and maybe south-western parts of Dublin.

Showers look a bit more widespread than I expected today so that is probably good news for some who want there gardens watered.

edit: that big shower has mostly passed to my south already, had about 50 seconds of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Gonzo wrote: »
    we've had a few showers here in Meath already but as soon as they start they are already over. A few damp patches on the ground every now and then but they dry out very quickly. Looks to be a fairly beefy shower heading my way now, this will effect the north Kildare area over the next hour and maybe south-western parts of Dublin.

Showers look a bit more widespread than I expected today so that is probably good news for some who want there gardens watered.

edit: that big shower has mostly passed to my south already, had about 50 seconds of rain.

Got about 10 minutes from it here in north Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Looking at the radar today is the first 'April showers' day we've had all year so far. Some heavy showers here in Donegal, horrible day but probably needed to top up water levels

• Advertisement

Looking at the radar today is the first 'April showers' day we've had all year so far. Some heavy showers here in Donegal, horrible day but probably needed to top up water levels

Yes. At least its not endless days of misery. If the summer went on like this, where by we had a few days of rain to top up water levels, then back to fine weather, few could complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Mostly Sunny and dry with a cool fresh breeze in West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Only the one decent rain shower in Dublin 5 today but it didn’t last long.
    Got about 10 minutes from it here in north Kildare

was very sunny here for the past hour and it started to feel quite warm out of the wind, big shower has moved in from my north and we even had a fairly loud rumble of thunder and flash of lightning with it, wasn't expecting that. A fairly heavy burst of rain now but it doesn't look like it will last that long, it may be enough to start putting green back into the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭appledrop

Extremely blustery here now. All new leaves from trees + shrubs are flying everywhere. Its dark + raining aswell. It's like an autumn evening rather than summer. Lights are on now.12 degrees.

Dry all day in Cork City, just missing the showers! Breezy though, have moved a few plants into more sheltered areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Weather Advisory for Ireland

Unseasonably windy Friday night and for a time on Saturday. Given the time of year, there is potential for some low level impacts from wind.

Valid: 21:00 Friday 05/06/2020 to 14:00 Saturday 06/06/2020

Issued: 12:00 Friday 05/06/2020

still fairly showery across the country except for the south-west which is missing out on most of the showers as they are closer to high pressure. Temperatures have really lowered now and several stations are reporting afternoon values of just 8 and 9C with most other stations struggling to hit 10 to 12C. Tomorrow may actually be slightly cooler than today so I would expect several stations to remain in single digits tomorrow. A real feeling of June 2019. Thankfully the temperatures will begin to rise again from Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

We had a couple of showers in D5 today but they were so brief. No real impact on the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Although it has been a very sunny and very dry for the last couple of months, it also seems, anecdotally at least, that it has been breezier, windier than normal also. Even during the finest weather during April and May (and so far this month) there was always that hair tossing breeze.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Although it has been a very sunny and very dry for the last couple of months, it also seems, anecdotally at least, that it has been breezier, windier than normal also. Even during the finest weather during April and May (and so far this month) there was always that hair tossing breeze.

At least you have hair to toss;) Some people don't. But seriously you are right it has been windy a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yuk, manky out now, this is the kind of weather you could have in June or July or in December or January, just horrible Irish weather.
    I hope we get some more summer weather soon.

Yuk, manky out now, this is the kind of weather you could have in June or July or in December or January, just horrible Irish weather.
    I hope we get some more summer weather soon.

I was on a walk around lunchtime and it felt pleasantly warm away from the wind in nice spells of sunshine, then we had a thundery shower. Went outside for another walk there and the sun is shining and the cold combined with the wind would cut you in two. As you say it could easily be December. I can live with it once we start seeing an improvement from Sunday and hopefully the GFS model is correct with next week's return to mostly dry and warm weather.

talking about next week's improvement, we may have to wait a while longer for a definite improvement. The UKMO, GEM and now the ECM are all on board for low pressure to move from Iceland over Ireland on Wednesday and on into Thursday, leaving just the GFS to get on board. All of a sudden next week's return to warm and settled conditions is starting to look alot more flipsy. At this point I think any forecasts more than 2 to 3 days ahead are difficult to work out as forecasting is proving very complicated with the pattern we have right now.

Beautiful full moon low in the south east now for those with clear skies

Today max

Mount Dillon 16.6 degrees
    Moore park 16.5
    Sherkin 16.5
    Shannon 16.4

A few showers this evening in Cork city, mostly sun showers. Lovely bright, full moon out this evening.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A few showers this evening in Cork city, mostly sun showers. Lovely bright, full moon out this evening.

Was just looking at the moon from my window. It's gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It is rough this morning in north Donegal.

Sustained strong winds, and has been since about 8pm last night.

In fact I'd say it's rougher than a few of the yellow warnings we have been issued with.

• Advertisement

Dry all day in Cork City, just missing the showers! Breezy though, have moved a few plants into more sheltered areas.

We didn't do too well. One decent shower at 8.30pm but still just about enough to keep the dust down. Could really do with some decent showers today for the garden and to help my newly laid lawn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement