Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Looking good for the weekend.. if it were December. :cool:

Might be a good idea for any gardeners to place pots with delicate flowers etc out of harms way this weekend, as that N/NW wind looks like it could be very blustery at times.

Definitely a weekend to be staying indoors, won't feel the least bit summery at all. Hopefully an improving situation from Monday.

Temperatures may struggle to reach double digits on Saturday. These could easily be mistaken for December temperatures.

75-580UK.GIF?03-12

It might be slightly milder on Sunday but still fairly chilly.

96-580UK.GIF?03-12

Weekend looks fairly wet too for Donegal and Northern Ireland, maybe 10 to 15mm. looks much lighter further south.

102-777UK.GIF?03-12

That wind on Saturday morning will make it feel bitter.
    69-289UK.GIF?03-12

Feeling more like 3 or 4C on Saturday between the cold temperatures and the fairly strong winds combined with showery rain.

69-290UK.GIF?03-12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Nothing too bad about the weather today in Limerick. A balmy 19 degrees and hot in sunshine. Breeze got heavey for a a while. 14 degrees here now

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A cool fresh 10c in Central Mayo currently but thankfully we had another evening sky that delivered the goods for a short but fairly spectacular finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Todays max

Shannon 19.1 degrees
    Sherkin 18.7
    Mount Dillon 18
    Roaches Point 17.9

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Found it quite nippy in the park this morning, doesn't feel like summer at all. I hope this isn't a repeat of last June!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Major cooldown now and rain too for North and West on most of the next 10 days.

Dont think we will need to worry about shortage of water by the end of June in the West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Nice to get a break from the heat as long as it comes back...26-27 degrees is nice to have if your at the beach...but our usual 22 degrees is better though if your are not...best to get a break from it now will be more enjoyable if it comes back...I think if you have that kind of weather all the time you dont appreciate it as much

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Cold dull morning in Kildare. Bring back the heat!

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Nice to get a break from the heat as long as it comes back...26-27 degrees is nice to have if your at the beach...but our usual 22 degrees is better though if your are not...best to get a break from it now will be more enjoyable if it comes back...I think if you have that kind of weather all the time you dont appreciate it as much

I’m a fan of heat and sun but I agree , unless you’re on holidays it’s quite hard.
    I turned down hiking on Monday as it was too hot ! These cooler temperatures are nice for a few days , I feel more energized , but 20-23 degrees with a breeze is nicest !

Not asking for much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

We only got to high of 14 yesterday + we will be lucky to even see that today.

The only positive about today is no rain so far.

I'm so glad I got to the beach for the few days.

Please bring back the heat!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Bring back the calm weather. I was really enjoying cycling without gusts and headwinds!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Theres been wind in Sligo even in the dry weather. Very windy some of the days.

Now lashing though but at least its dry here ( and most of the West) on Met Eireanns useless rainfall radar

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dull, damp and cold morning here in Meath, think i'll be spending till Monday indoors. At this stage i'd take 1 day of rain and a low pressure from the Atlantic just to clear all this muck away and be done with it, to get back to warm and settled conditions sooner rather than later. Today feels like one of the many days we had last June, however last June was far worse, as we had endless days of cold rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

We don’t take “breaks “ from the heat and sunny weather
    We get breaks from the months of rain
    And when we do people start wishing it away
    “Oh it’s TOO hot “

Hope ye enjoyed our summer :(

km79 wrote: »
    “Oh it’s TOO hot “

The next 4 days are going to be poor, but things look a bit better for next week. We will have -3C uppers over the country this weekend which is about 6C below normal.

Next week is looking mostly dry and certainly milder with a bit more in the way of sunshine. The west and north-west may have showers or drizzle at times and showers may be along the east coast next Wednesday or Thursday. Temperatures will start off low on Monday but by the end of week we will have +4 to +7 uppers back over the country which may get temperatures close to 20C at times. There is the possibility of another unsettled weekend next weekend but it shouldn't be as cold as this weekend. A bit of a mixed first half of June, however there will be some nice days over the next week, it is not all bad.

“Oh it’s TOO hot “

I don't agree but maybe that's because I live 4km from the beaches of the East coast. There is almost a microclimate here, a strip of blue sky that stays close to the coast even though I can see cloud a few KM further inland. It means a lot more sunshine. The amount of people who said last Summer was bad but it was lovely where I live and plenty of sun.

No matter what, I don't think Summer is over when there are a few cloudy, cool, wet days. When the sun comes out at all at this time of the year its warm. You just need a nice sheltered spot ,which I have in the garden away from Easterly coastal breezes! I think there will be lots of opportunity for sunshine between now - 4th June - and the middle of September - you just gotta take it when you get it!

Had to turn the lights on :(

But at least it’s not too hot
    In
    June

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I did! Made the most of it and have had numerous days in the garden since this lovely spell started back in March. The last couple of weeks of even warmer stuff were great too.

Hope you made the most of the last few months, even under lockdown!

MJohnston wrote: »
    I did! Made the most of it and have had numerous days in the garden since this lovely spell started back in March. The last couple of weeks of even warmer stuff were great too.

Hope you made the most of the last few months, even under lockdown!

We were absolutely blessed with the weather to be quite honest. Imagine if it had been like this the while time......or worse if it happened over the winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

I understand people looking for the nice settled weather back but it is of grave concern of farmers and horticulturist to have rain back for a while. There is a serious drought taking hold that has the potential to be worse than 2018. I know it doesn’t bother a lot of ye But imagine your yearly income been determined by the weather and waking up every morning to look across at crops failing or animals hungry due to want to a bit rain. It a serious situation out there and I would like to highlight that to ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    I understand people looking for the nice settled weather back but it is of grave concern of farmers and horticulturist to have rain back for a while. There is a serious drought taking hold that has the potential to be worse than 2018. I know it doesn’t bother a lot of ye But imagine your yearly income been determined by the weather and waking up every morning to look across at crops failing or animals hungry due to want to a bit rain. It a serious situation out there and I would like to highlight that to ye.

Too much rain is equally a problem for farming. There's a narrow sweet spot when it comes to this industry and it is a tough life, but just remember that it makes not one bit of difference what weather someone on an online forum wishes for, it's not going to change what weather we get in the end. The tourism industry will be looking for the opposite to you this year as many areas look for staycation business and don't want a washout. There are lots of competing heads trying to drink from the weather trough [/pun] but none has any influence on how much of a drink they will get.

I see Met Éireann are back to launching 4 weather balloons per day from Valentia instead of the previous 2 (12Z & 00Z) they reduced it to several years ago. I hope it continues.

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/valentia-tephigram

The real issue is not the lack of rain but the lack of planning. Between local authorities and the farmers themselves, they do nothing to conserve water in order to have it at the ready when they need it the most in times like this. Other countries do a fairly decent job of conserving water but we don't do any of it here. Every 2 to 3 years we get a fairly lengthy dry spell and we have this problem every time. We live in the wettest country in Europe and receive enough rain throughout the year to have a perfect supply of water all the year around, if it was conserved. Thankfully it doesn't rain continuously for 12 months of the year every year, but for the few dry months we do get a bit of planning, forward thinking and water conservation would go along way!

Gonzo wrote: »
    The real issue is not the lack of rain but the lack of planning. Between local authorities and the farmers themselves, they do nothing to conserve water in order to have it at the ready when they need it the most in times like this. Other countries do a fairly decent job of conserving water but we don't do any of it here. Every 2 to 3 years we get a fairly lengthy dry spell and we have this problem every time. We live in the wettest country in Europe and receive enough rain throughout the year to have a perfect supply of water all the year around, if it was conserved. Thankfully it doesn't rain continuously for 12 months of the year every year, but for the few dry months we do get a bit of planning, forward thinking and water conservation would go along way!

Yes, places in the Med, such as Sardinia, never have a shortage of water despite going from May-September or October without any appreciable rain. Every evening in the summer I drive by massive crop fields with huge spanning overhead irrigation systems on wheels lashing out water by the tonne. The total annual rainfall there is around 500-650 mm, mostly in winter, but they have something like 30 lakes on the island, only one of which is natural. Everything is conserved and not a drop goes to waste.

Obviously they're better geared for this as this is their climate, but farmers here could do better if it's such a bad problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

We live in the wettest country in Europe

I don't think is true. The UK and Norway are wetter. I would imagine Austria and Switzerland are wetter too. Probably a few others that are wetter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

highdef wrote: »
    I don't think is true. The UK and Norway are wetter. I would imagine Austria and Switzerland are wetter too. Probably a few others that are wetter.

In mm terms probably but I'm sure Ireland has more days with rain than those places

Yes, places in the Med, such as Sardinia, never have a shortage of water despite going from May-September or October without any appreciable rain. Every evening in the summer I drive by massive crop fields with huge spanning overhead irrigation systems on wheels lashing out water by the tonne. The total annual rainfall there is around 500-650 mm, mostly in winter, but they have something like 30 lakes on the island, only one of which is natural. Everything is conserved and not a drop goes to waste.

Obviously they're better geared for this as this is their climate, but farmers here could do better if it's such a bad problem.

If Ireland did that the goodie goods be shouting that farmers are polluting the waterways. Farmers can’t win in this country. I love the way people tell how others should do there job when in reality they haven’t a clue what there talking about. But everyday ye thank a farmer 3 times for putting food on your table. Sad reality s this country needs rain for the survival of it crops. Good weather is welcome but not for prolonged periods. It cost massive massive investment to conserve water at a local authority level and will the tax payer be willing to pay for it ?????? ....................No they won’t. So the next time your sitting out in your garden think about the countryside and wildlife suffering from lack of water. A balance weather is what needed but it either too wet r too dry.

Exactly. Where my parents live in Spain it very rarely rains, but they conserve all of it. My Dad says he's never heard of a drought down there.
    With the climate changing farmers should be investing in ways to conserve water, given that beef and dairy are up there with the most water intensive foods there are and that's all we really produce here.

If Ireland did that the goodie goods be shouting that farmers are polluting the waterways. Farmers can’t win in this country. I love the way people tell how others should do there job when in reality they haven’t a clue what there talking about. But everyday ye thank a farmer 3 times for putting food on your table. Sad reality s this country needs rain for the survival of it crops. Good weather is welcome but not for prolonged periods. It cost massive massive investment to conserve water at a local authority level and will the tax payer be willing to pay for it ?????? ....................No they won’t. So the next time your sitting out in your garden think about the countryside and wildlife suffering from lack of water. A balance weather is what needed but it either too wet r too dry.

You're already polluting the waterways. And wildlife in Ireland mostly suffers from farmers not lack of water. Agriculture is the biggest polluter of waterways in Ireland, oh and not all of us eat beef so you're not putting food on my table.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/farming-pollution-sees-water-quality-in-ireland-deteriorate-1.3715715

• Advertisement

You're already polluting the waterways. And wildlife in Ireland mostly suffers from farmers not lack of water. Agriculture is the biggest polluter of waterways in Ireland, oh and not all of us beef so you're not putting food on my table.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/farming-pollution-sees-water-quality-in-ireland-deteriorate-1.3715715

Wrong you are. What about all the raw sewage been let out of into the Irish Sea by the local authorities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement