Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Newly laid lawn here too, not sure how yesterday's hailstones will play into its growth!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Newly laid lawn here too, not sure how yesterday's hailstones will play into its growth!

Another new lawn being seeded out the front today. Was tempted to put it off until September/October but I won't have the time then. Praying for rain!!

Very blustery on East coast, v cool too. Those winds 2 weeks ago did some damage to new leaf growth, I’m hoping no further damage with these temperatures. Hail yesterday , fire lit last night !

Does anyone know what happened to Graces7 from her offshore Mayo island ? I miss her posts .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Dismal day in Cork, the wind is properly cold. Today could pass for November.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah this is the worst day in months in Dublin. Bloody cold in my house but I refuse to turn heat on so a blanket on the couch will have to do!
    Tomorrow looks half decent anyway so hopefully this is the worst day for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Had 2mm of rain last night. I thought there was going to be 10mm. But there has only been 10mm in past 3 "wet" days. Grass still yellow.

Dublin is in serious trouble this month from lack of rain. As is much of the east and even parts of the West. The South isnt as bad yet but will be by July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

My god it’s cold

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Has this years summer been and gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Dirty morning wet and windy, only 9 degrees out.
    Positive thing I've just seen the sallow hatchlings in a row on the clothes line good brood this year ,I would not fancy learning to fly today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭giveitholly

My god it’s cold

Feels like pure winter,will be lighting the stove this evening unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I can picture the posters on here who complained about the heat last week sitting inside looking out their windows today with a smug look on their faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

HighLine wrote: »
    I can picture the posters on here who complained about the heat last week sitting inside looking out their windows today with a smug look on their faces.

Lockdown ending and we’re back to normal service. I so enjoyed the week we had from Wednesday 27th May it was glorious but today is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cold 9 degrees at knock at 11am. Miserable Saturday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today is cold however it is still not half as bad as some of the bad days from the first half of June 2019, those days felt colder than this and it was far, far wetter. Today is a piece of cake compared to last June as only yesterday, which wasn't half bad and today are the cold days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Although it has been a very sunny and very dry for the last couple of months, it also seems, anecdotally at least, that it has been breezier, windier than normal also. Even during the finest weather during April and May (and so far this month) there was always that hair tossing breeze.

I have to agree 100% with you. Even not considering the atrocity that was February, this has felt like the windiest year (so far) in a while. I thought 2015 was ridiculous enough at the time.

I am curious too about the actual stats for previous January to May/June periods in comparison but February might skew them somewhat given its extremity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cold, strong wind in cork city this morning! Grey skies, dull. Could easily be a day in the middle of November

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

latest GFS is rolling out now and its going for a serious change and joining the GEM with an unsettled outlook, particularly for Ireland bringing the Atlantic back into play. It hasn't finished updating yet but if it verifies we can put the summer clothes away for a while. It has that low sinking from Iceland over Ireland on Wednesday and then evolves into a very unsettled pattern after that with lots and lots of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I wonder are we now going to end up with blocking in the wrong place, which means we will be stuck under slow moving systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    latest GFS is rolling out now and its going for a serious change and joining the GEM with an unsettled outlook, particularly for Ireland bringing the Atlantic back into play. It hasn't finished updating yet but if it verifies we can put the summer clothes away for a while. It has that low sinking from Iceland over Ireland on Wednesday and then evolves into a very unsettled pattern after that with lots and lots of rain.

GFS in FI is giving me 2019 nightmares all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cold and **** out there. I'm ignoring the prediction charts as they keep changing their minds. It's not going to be really settled thats clear but I'll wait to see how unsettled it really is.

• Advertisement

I wonder are we now going to end up with blocking in the wrong place, which means we will be stuck under slow moving systems.

I had a bad feeling yesterday when I saw the GEM and ECM bringing that low down from Iceland on Wednesday that the warm and settled scene was in trouble. GFS is still updating and unfortunately it's a stinker especially for Ireland.

I really hope the GFS is just having a temporary hiccup but I don't think it is as all other models are on the unsettled side too but the GFS is really going to town on making Ireland a wet place over the next 2 weeks. I'm sure the farmers will be delighted with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

I had a bad feeling yesterday when I saw the GEM and ECM bringing that low down from Iceland on Wednesday that the warm and settled scene was in trouble. GFS is still updating and unfortunately it's a stinker especially for Ireland.

I really hope the GFS is just having a temporary hiccup but I don't think it is as all other models are on the unsettled side too but the GFS is really going to town on making Ireland a wet place over the next 2 weeks. I'm sure the farmers will be delighted with this.

For a week
    Then it will be “the land is saturated “

Every year. Be careful what ye wish for .
    It’s bloody summer and people were wishing the good weather away on the first of June .

km79 wrote: »
    For a week
    Then it will be “the land is saturated “

Every year. Be careful what ye wish for .
    It’s bloody summer and people were wishing the good weather away on the first of June .

Once the GFS has completed it's run and I take a look at all the members we will get a better idea. Currently it is showing a low pressure that just continues to spiral and pivot over Ireland for over a week, if this happened the 2nd and 3rd week of June would be a complete write off. Of course the model could switch back to a dryer and warmer scene by this evening. Over the past 4 days the models have been changing like crazy and not all agreeing each other, we have a very complicated pattern at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just when i was starting to think M.T. Craniums June outlook would be wide of the mark, more fool me. It is starting to look like a repeat June 2019, unfortunately:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

NIMAN wrote: »
    Has this years summer been and gone?

Could well be but I think we can all agree twas a great one. So many night out in the garden having a bbq. Fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Just messing with vector maps in Excel and produced this map of temperatures at 11 am. Very uniform across the country.

515461.png

So June looks to be a write off, hopefully we get something in July, given August is a disaster every year there's not much time left. It's such a short window we get during our "summer". It's amazing how much this crap weather now affects my life compared to the bliss last weekend. I need to get a job where I can work from home in Spain, endless sun and no farmers moaning about rain as they know how to manage water there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That little shortwave that cuts down over Ireland and the UK around +96hrs really could send us down a bad patch!

The GFS 6z has a low spinning in perpetuity to the west of Ireland throwing up rain band after rain band!

Let's hope for a quick flip back otherwise it could be a long June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Crikey relax people, had pretty much zero rain since March! Even this week here in D5 there has been feck all rain.

We were bound to get a week or two of bad weather. It’s 11 degrees and lashing rain in London today according to a friend, apparently been a miserable week over there. We were bound to get a blip. Summer is 6 days old, cool the jets

• Advertisement

Crikey relax people, had pretty much zero rain since March! Even this week here in D5 there has been feck all rain.

We were bound to get a week or two of bad weather. It’s 11 degrees and lashing rain in London today according to a friend, apparently been a miserable week over there. We were bound to get a blip. Summer is 6 days old, cool the jets

It's not just the rain, it's the greyness and wind too! London may be miserable but they are guaranteed more summer weather, we ain't. So allow us to moan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement