Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

I presume because it has your ip address, after 7 (or 9 in reality I think, I started last sunday and it said under my account that payment is due next tues.) days of trial if you haven't paid it will discontinue your service. Anyway 3.85 a month for a reliable US dns is excellent value imo.

I thought it would be IP but I'm Dynamic IP person... Yay?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I thought it would be IP but I'm Dynamic IP person... Yay?

I don't know but its unlikely that they will continue providing their service for nothing ,I'm sure they have a way of discontinuing it to people after a certain time if they don't pay.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I presume because it has your ip address, after 7 (or 9 in reality I think, I started last sunday and it said under my account that payment is due next tues.) days of trial if you haven't paid it will discontinue your service. Anyway 3.85 a month for a reliable US dns is excellent value imo.

Does it allow us to stream from the likes of HBO's website and that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

My free trial was over on Wednesday and it continues to work fine even though I had recieved an email saying it was over. I couldn't use the Iplayer anymore because a screen came up from unblock-us asking me to verify my account. But there was no problem using Netflix USA.

My free trial was over on Wednesday and it continues to work fine even though I had recieved an email saying it was over. I couldn't use the Iplayer anymore because a screen came up from unblock-us asking me to verify my account. But there was no problem using Netflix USA.

Sweet, all I want it for is netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

Sweet, all I want it for is netflix.
    +1:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Unblock Us seems to use some sort of DNS trickery to fool the Netflix servers into thinking you are in the US. Very clever. There's a lot of advantages to this over a traditional VPN. It's faster and cheaper for a start. But it's kind of thing that Netflix could probably easily put an end to if they were so inclined. Which I suspect they aren't, but the content providers won't feel the same way. Anyone signing up should pick the pay-per-month option.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

But it's kind of thing that Netflix could probably easily put an end to if they were so inclined. Which I suspect they aren't, but the content providers won't feel the same way.
    It's being used by Canadian's to access the US catalogue for a long time..

.. yeah, Netflix wouldn't be too arsed I'd imagine. You're still paying their sub at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

I've signed up to Netflix, I have UPC 25mb I'm worried I'll go way over because I don't have a clue. Should I upgrade my usage or would this cover watching a few flicks a week on it does anyone know?

samina wrote: »
    I've signed up to Netflix, I have UPC 25mb I'm worried I'll go way over because I don't have a clue. Should I upgrade my usage or would this cover watching a few flicks a week on it does anyone know?
    What's your download cap?

If you're worried, you can lower the quality of movies (hence lower filesize).

EDIT: This your package? If so:
    500GB usage limit

You'll be grand - watch away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

samina wrote: »

The UPC 25mb BB package has a 500 Gig monthly cap afaik. At a rough guess , this would equate to around 400 movies (at the very highest quality) on netflix per month. You should have no issues with usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

Whoops I thought the 25 mb was the cap. Yes that's the package basq. Thanks for the help folks.

I'm impressed so far with the choice of movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

huggs2 wrote: »
    what laptop-windows or mac?

Using a Mac

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hmm it does seem like one can simply enter the DNS settings on PS3 rather than router based shenanigans. Imagine the same is true for 360. No harm in letting the trial period play out and see what happens! Certainly a nicer selection on the US, albeit still held back by the ****ty browsing.

Download cap is a bitch. Switching to UPC very shortly but stuck on measly 50gb eircom temporarily. And a season of Arrested Development has already eaten away at that considerably :/

Download cap is a bitch. Switching to UPC very shortly but stuck on measly 50gb eircom temporarily. And a season of Arrested Development has already eaten away at that considerably :/
    tumblr_lxocincWOY1qce99fo1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

My trial was over I think last Wednesday. BBC iplayer no longer works, either does ABC app on my iPad. However Netflix is still working on the US site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

adox wrote: »
    My trial was over I think last Wednesday. BBC iplayer no longer works, either does ABC app on my iPad. However Netflix is still working on the US site.

If you want them to start working again, just start the trial with a different email address. Probably doesn't even need to be a real address because they don't make you verify it.

Iplayer on PS3 is great.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you want them to start working again, just start the trial with a different email address. Probably doesn't even need to be a real address because they don't make you verify it.

Iplayer on PS3 is great.

do you even have to give an email address?

Iplayer on PS3 is great.

I tried to re sign on my iPad for a new trial, but it wouldn't work. Just kept telling me my trial was over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Working on my PS3 without any email address.

• Advertisement

Another PS3 question, is it Netflix or the PS3 itself that changing the stream quality depending on how your connection is managing? It's a great feature that keeps the stream constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Working on my PS3 without any email address.

Same as myself. I've convinced myself that the DNS setting change via PS3 settings has no time limit.

adox wrote: »
    Another PS3 question, is it Netflix or the PS3 itself that changing the stream quality depending on how your connection is managing? It's a great feature that keeps the stream constant.

its handy, but it seems impossible to stream in HD though unless you have super fast BB, just can't get it to.

Kicking myself i gave my email addy now, hopefully it can still work after the trial.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    its handy, but it seems impossible to stream in HD though unless you have super fast BB, just can't get it to.

Kicking myself i gave my email addy now, hopefully it can still work after the trial.

My connection is modest enough, get about 6Mb download speed and more often than not, the quality is eventually shows as high HD and sometimes Xtra High HD. Streaming wirelessly to PS3 with one of those old Netopia Eircom routers.

Getting pretty much constant HD on 7MB line. Seems a bit jumpier on the US one though - watched an episode of Portlandia last night and it took a while to settle. Stayed HD but seemed to be jumping from low-medium-high according to the corner display.

Getting pretty much constant HD on 7MB line. Seems a bit jumpier on the US one though - watched an episode of Portlandia last night and it took a while to settle. Stayed HD but seemed to be jumping from low-medium-high according to the corner display.

Only on 1mb at the moment so hopefully will get HD when I'm back to college on monday where I have 8mb. If I leave the movie to load up before watching would it stream HD you think?

It should help bring it up to speed, certainly, but I'm not sure if that's how Netflix works. It seems to me as if it determines the speed as it goes. I'm fairly confident - welcome to being proven wrong here - that if doesn't preload. So if you leave a film load for an hour, say, it doesn't download the whole thing. It will simply resume streaming when you push play.

Again, not sure about this, but left an SD film idle for around half an hour and it simply resumed sucking up bandwidth when I pressed start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It seems to me as if it determines the speed as it goes. I'm fairly confident -

That's what it looks like to me too.

If you've used the SKY PC movies and you jump around, you have instant access to any part of the movie.

If you jump around on Netflix, you're waiting for the 'small' buffer each and every time.

IMO, this corroborates you observations.

The most annoying thing is the lack of a to watch/want to watch list, I keep seeing stuff when I'm browsing then forgetting what it is. When they used to still send out dvds you could add streams to your queue, was well handy.

The search also stinks, stuff came up when I was rating, now when I search for it it won't come up. For example when I search The Wire it doesn't come up, Wire in the Blood is the first thing that comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The most annoying thing is the lack of a to watch/want to watch list, ---- The search also stinks,

Concur.

I saw ZULU [64] in a list but nothing came up searching ZULU. Eventually I found the three films on this subject.

So, one can apparently get a no response search for a film that may actually be in the menu. ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement