Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Is that easy to do? First of all how do you set up a US Netflix account (does your Irish credit card address not give you away?) or does your Irish account login work? If I set up a VPN and have a US Itunes account can I do it easy enough or do I need to jailbreak the ATV?

There is only one account for netflix which you can use anywhere they have a service in the world.They told me this when i rang them.I checked this out myself with hotspot shield on my mac which gives me a US ip address and it logged me in as usual except it gave me all the spiel about me traveling and how the catalogue varies from country to country etc. Once i dismissed this popup i was good to go with all my settings etc intact as before.The American library is vast and i only recognized one or two titles from the Irish site .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

huggs2 wrote: »
    Is that easy to do? First of all how do you set up a US Netflix account (does your Irish credit card address not give you away?) or does your Irish account login work? If I set up a VPN and have a US Itunes account can I do it easy enough or do I need to jailbreak the ATV?

There is only one account for netflix which you can use anywhere they have a service in the world.They told me this when i rang them.I checked this out myself with hotspot shield on my mac which gives me a US ip address and it logged me in as usual except it gave me all the spiel about me traveling and how the catalogue varies from country to country etc. Once i dismissed this popup i was good to go with all my settings etc intact as before.The American library is vast and i only recognized one or two titles from the Irish site .

Thanks. Were you using apple tv though? That's where I'm confused. I'm a complete novice and after googling a bit some sites say that as well as a VPN you need a special router as the apple tv doesn't support VPN client or something. So I'm just wondering do I need to add something or do something with my apple tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Have to say I've been enjoying Netflix so far. I will probably keep it for a few months as there is loads of stuff on it that I havent seen. (24, Breaking Bad etc)

So would rather use that than download them.

If it wasn't for Netflix I propably would never have watched The IT Crowd. I think it's hilarious and am just after starting Season 3.

I also watched a documentary called King Of Kong. About the Donkey Kong high score world record. Something that I would NEVER have watched if it weren't for a recommendation from a friend that seen it on Netflix.

I'm enjoying it, and hopefully the library gets updated regular enough.

Thanks. Were you using apple tv though? That's where I'm confused. I'm a complete novice and after googling a bit some sites say that as well as a VPN you need a special router as the apple tv doesn't support VPN client or something. So I'm just wondering do I need to add something or do something with my apple tv?
    I don't have Apple tv but have you tried unplugging Apple tv for a few seconds and plug back in again? After that you could do a search on boards for apple tv & netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 murfbrowne

hi there, is it possible to get netflix onto an ordinary old telly with no hdmi or no gaming console attached. Thanking you in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

you're looking for an RF Modulator:

CRF907.jpg

If you don't have component inputs for your netflix box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Thanks to this thread I'm not enjoying US Netflix on my 360, which makes the "Is Netflix worth it?" question a real no-brainer.I'm just wondering if anyone else has found that using Unblock-US has slowed down general internet use, I can't say I've noticed any lag so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Thanks to this thread I'm not enjoying US Netflix on my 360, which makes the "Is Netflix worth it?" question a real no-brainer.I'm just wondering if anyone else has found that using Unblock-US has slowed down general internet use, I can't say I've noticed any lag so far?

I don't have it on my Mac just my PS3, the net is half the speed on ps3 now compared to my computer, (10 as opposed to 20mb) but 10 is enough for really good quality. I heard that different net providers might put a limit on overseas server connections speed. I'm on UPC, what about yourself?

Btw I presume you meant "now enjoying" as opposed to "not enjoying"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I don't have it on my Mac just my PS3, the net is half the speed on ps3 now compared to my computer, (10 as opposed to 20mb) but 10 is enough for really good quality. I heard that different net providers might put a limit on overseas server connections speed. I'm on UPC, what about yourself?

Btw I presume you meant "now enjoying" as opposed to "not enjoying"!

Gah,yes,that would be "now enjoying". I'm on UPC 25MB as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I have a funny feeling that if you put the Unblock US DNS on your router it's going to try and router all web traffic will try first to go to the Unblock US DNS which will kick back normal traffic but I reckon this will hit normal local traffic speed. This is why I'm only put it on my Western Digital Live box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Benny_Cake wrote: »

Where are the instructions for changing the dns settings on the 360? I couldn't find them. I did it successfully on my PS3 but a friend of mine was asking how to do it on the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

PWEI wrote: »
    Where are the instructions for changing the dns settings on the 360? I couldn't find them. I did it successfully on my PS3 but a friend of mine was asking how to do it on the xbox.

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291532

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Excellent site for finding what's new (and hidden) on Netflix US, the search with the years slider is especially good.

http://instantwatcher.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mrs Apple

Hi,

Wonder if someone can help me? What are the step by step instructions for setting up block-us on iPad?

Not sure which DNS to use. Have followed dns set up on their website for iPhone and not working.

Driving me mad!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

i finally got it going on my ps3 last night and i am enjoying it so far. ok the selection is not great so far and ive seen most of the better stuff, but there is still a lot to be watched. i dont know if anyone has noticed this, but the selection when im browsing through the ps3 seems to be smaller than when i browse through the laptop? this cant be right can it?

anyway, i like it so far- ill emerge myself in breaking bad this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

To be honest, although definitely better than ours, the US version isn't brilliant either regarding new releases. But it's only €6 a month so we shouldn't complain

Was looking forward to Boss being on Netflix, not going to happen now by the looks of it, but apparently it frees up 300 million to spend on other stuff.

http://techthingdaily.com/2011/09/02/starz-content-leaving-netflix-in-february/

Was looking forward to Boss being on Netflix, not going to happen now by the looks of it, but apparently it frees up 300 million to spend on other stuff.

http://techthingdaily.com/2011/09/02/starz-content-leaving-netflix-in-february/

As I said on the other thread there's a better than good chance that it'll be appearing for the month that's left on their contract. Be ridicolous for them not to make the most of the content while it lasts.

The Starz contract ending could be a good thing as there's an awful lot of money freed up to spend elsewhere, hopefully well see them acquiring some more TV series aswell as a few more recent released titles.

As I said on the other thread there's a better than good chance that it'll be appearing for the month that's left on their contract. Be ridicolous for them not to make the most of the content while it lasts.

The Starz contract ending could be a good thing as there's an awful lot of money freed up to spend elsewhere, hopefully well see them acquiring some more TV series aswell as a few more recent released titles.

I read elsewhere that there will be no new content until contract ends

"Starz will no longer offer original programming for Netflix subscribers. This was a recent shift in philosophy they made even before they were on the outs with Netflix, so even if a deal with Starz and Netflix gets made to renew their current deal there will be no ‘Boss’ in their library."

• Advertisement

I read elsewhere that there will be no new content until contract ends

"Starz will no longer offer original programming for Netflix subscribers. This was a recent shift in philosophy they made even before they were on the outs with Netflix, so even if a deal with Starz and Netflix gets made to renew their current deal there will be no ‘Boss’ in their library."

It's been on the upcoming on Netflix list for awhile. Granted its not always accurate but it would be nice to see it appear, I know I'd happily rewatch it again especially as it would be offered in HD. As I type I'm halfway through the last episode and it's exceptional television. Intelligent, adult drama with superb performances and some truly inspired moments.

It's been on the upcoming on Netflix list for awhile. Granted its not always accurate but it would be nice to see it appear, I know I'd happily rewatch it again especially as it would be offered in HD. As I type I'm halfway through the last episode and it's exceptional television. Intelligent, adult drama with superb performances and some truly inspired moments.

Fair enough, will check for it in the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Mrs Apple wrote: »
    Hi,

Wonder if someone can help me? What are the step by step instructions for setting up block-us on iPad?

Not sure which DNS to use. Have followed dns set up on their website for iPhone and not working.

Driving me mad!

Thanks!

The following worked for me:

1. Enter the new DNS setting on your iPad in the 'Settings' panel. Enter 208.122.23.22 followed by 208.122.23.23
    2. Turn the wifi off and then back on.
    3. I gave my e-mail address to the Unblock-US site to avail of the weeks trail.
    4. Delete the Netflix app from your iPad. Make sure to redownload the Netflix app from a US iTunes account. I found that it would not work if it was downloaded from the Irish store.
    4. Turn on Netflix app. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Has anyone tried netflix on a boxeebox? I just tried it now and it keeps buffering and taking ages to do so. Anyone got any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I'm enjoying the free trial. Currently I've only used Netflix on my laptop, iPad and iPhone. I've got the Apple TV and 360 too but not updated them so not sure what the experience is like.

But there's enough content there and forthcoming to warrant €6 per month, all you can eat viewing. I'll stick with it after my trial expires I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Watched three films on it yesterday using the US Netflix which I might not have seen otherwise. Have to say I am impressed with the content and the quality. Would recommend it and will be renewing at end of trial. The films I watched were:

Tucker and Dale vs Evil - Great little comedy sending up American slasher films. If you like Shaun of the dead you should enjoy it.

The Troll Hunter - A Norwegian film in the found footage style of Cannibal Holocaust/Blair Witch about a man hunting trolls in the Norwegian countryside. Brilliant film.

Cave of forgotten dreams - Documentary about cave paintings in France. Its directed by Werner Herzog so I don't need to say any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

Anybody having problems switching to full screen when watching something on Netflix, using a laptop and it just changes to a blank screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

As has been said many times already there are loads of movies hidden on Netflix that don't show up when browsing under Genres or other headings, I just found the fantasic Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence on it even though it isn't mentioned anywhere.

Edit: Just found it has Red Dwarf, every episode and all Father Ted's and Blackadder's!

I'd be interested to hear how you found the Father Ted episodes (if found of the Irish Netflix)

Bumble32 wrote: »
    Anybody having problems switching to full screen when watching something on Netflix, using a laptop and it just changes to a blank screen.
    what laptop-windows or mac?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I'd be interested to hear how you found the Father Ted episodes (if found of the Irish Netflix)
    Fr Ted is on the American Netflix not the Irish/Uk one strangely enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement