Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

Occono wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised there's any at all. Anyway, everything's probably going to be mostly limited to the BBC Worldwide iPlayer, (Which is only for iPhones apparently?) ITV's player (No idea if this streams to here or not, never wanted to use it. Netflix tried to get content from them but iTV overvalues their stuff apparently...) and 4OD (Which has always been available to Ireland, for free with ads.) Still, I'm just happy to have an easy way to watch a couple of BBC shows it has, though having newer stuff would be nice.

It'd be nice to see some Irish shows on there, just to give them some prestige. :P

BBC and ITV players don't work over here... Just thank God for the decent selection of shows on 4OD... great back catalogue! Sometimes the humour is just better than the American shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

ihsb wrote: »
    BBC and ITV players don't work over here... Just thank God for the decent selection of shows on 4OD... great back catalogue! Sometimes the humour is just better than the American shows.

BBC does offer an iPlayer you can use here, but it's 6.99 a month and exclusive to iPads: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14322604 It sounds like it's more about old content anyway, which Netflix has some of and might get more of. So not worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Skinfull wrote: »
    Alright moneybags! fiver sounds reasonable for outdated content, with so far choppy audio sync and lack of search control. I was just saying I could justify it, but I'm not sure if I could justify 7€ for it. Like the price of a pint, fiver is a lot and I'll pay it, but charge me seven and I'll stop buying. :rolleyes:

This is the problem with online media - no matter how low the price is (and 6.99 is very, very cheap), there'll always be people who'll want it cheaper. I haven't noticed any significant audio issues, and the HD streaming is far superior to DVD quality.

Sure, the Irish selection needs a bit of work, but Netflix is the first real gamechanger when it comes to streaming media over these parts. For the price of a pint and a half, or two SD iTunes rentals, the price is more than reasonable. Given the amount of costs - bandwidth and operating costs alongside expensive rights (this isn't a charity) - I can't see how it could be any cheaper than it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

This is the problem with online media - no matter how low the price is (and 6.99 is very, very cheap), there'll always be people who'll want it cheaper. I haven't noticed any significant audio issues, and the HD streaming is far superior to DVD quality.

Sure, the Irish selection needs a bit of work, but Netflix is the first real gamechanger when it comes to streaming media over these parts. For the price of a pint and a half, or two SD iTunes rentals, the price is more than reasonable. Given the amount of costs - bandwidth and operating costs alongside expensive rights (this isn't a charity) - I can't see how it could be any cheaper than it is.

+1

It's 20c a day, people need to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,776 ✭✭✭✭Basq

EnterNow wrote: »
    +1

This says it all to be honest..

large_1327205732.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

So where is this 20c a day coming from? I went, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday without earning 20c for the six days. I earned €87 for Friday which will be invoiced today and paid in three months time.

gbee wrote: »
    So where is this 20c a day coming from? I went, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday without earning 20c for the six days. I earned €87 for Friday which will be invoiced today and paid in three months time.

If you can't afford it, don't blame Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

It strikes me that the people overly complaining bout the price of Netflix are those who are used to/want only free Torrents off the net, no commercial service will ever be able to compete with that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

2 rentals of even older titles on DVD would cost you 7 too, so your basically saying its not worth the cost of 2 rentals a month for hundreds of tv shows/films? As regards sync issues it just happened to me on two half hour tv shows one evening but has been ok apart from that.

I havent rented a DVD in years! Because the price was too much and there were better alternatives!
    It strikes me that the people overly complaining bout the price of Netflix are those who are used to/want only free Torrents off the net, no commercial service will ever be able to compete with that.

Exaclty. I'm used to a better choice of content for free. But I'm willing to pay for this service, for high quality, hassle free streaming, which this, as of yet, is not. It needs tweeking. If it addresses some of the points that many people have raised here, like audio sync, updating content, search flexibility, then I'll willingly pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So what should the price be then? Obvously i dont know the ins and outs of your finances but from what you've written, I doubt even if the price was €3-4 a month, you would be able to justify Netflix. Apart from it being free, I don't know what you're looking for

I'd like to buy a lot of things and get premium subscriptions etc but I can't afford to so I do without. I'm not going to blame the providers though.

I havent rented a DVD in years! Because the price was too much and there were better alternatives!

Exaclty. I'm used to a better choice of content for free. But I'm willing to pay for this service, for high quality, hassle free streaming, which this, as of yet, is not. It needs tweeking. If it addresses some of the points that many people have raised here, like audio sync, updating content, search flexibility, then I'll willingly pay.

Bizarre, like me saying I could buy a 42" plasma but its cheaper to rob it from a shop!

So what should the price be then? Obvously i dont know the ins and outs of your finances but from what you've written, I doubt even if the price was €3-4 a month, you would be able to justify Netflix. Apart from it being free, I don't know what you're looking for

I'd like to buy a lot of things and get premium subscriptions etc but I can't afford to so I do without. I'm not going to blame the providers though.

Lots of (especially younger) people have this sense of entitlement that everything should/could be free so "I'm not paying for it", how is there going to be a quality tv/film industry in the future if everyone follows that stupid example? In case you people don't know it costs millions to make and distribute the films/tv that you people expect for nothing so get real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I tried Netflix last night and while it's a start the range of movies on offer is pretty dire!

The UK tv shows are handy, especially the content that is otherwise only available on bbc iplayer.

I'm not as wowed as I thought I would be. It needs more content and it needs better quality streaming. The resolution is poor compared to streaming content from Sky Player for example.

I'd have expected to be able to watch at least Irish/Euro SDTV standard broadcasts but, it's much more YouTube like and heavily compressed.

It's a definite start though but still needs work! Quite handy on the iPad too!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,776 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Solair wrote: »
    I'd have expected to be able to watch at least Irish/Euro SDTV standard broadcasts but, it's much more YouTube like and heavily compressed.
    What's your video quality set at on the website?

netflix_2.png.scaled1000.png
    netflix_settings.jpg

I've found the majority of stuff to be higher than DVD quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Bizarre, like me saying I could buy a 42" plasma but its cheaper to rob it from a shop!

Yeah... thats exactly the same. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah a lot of the content is HD quality and even get DD 5.1 on some of the movies as basq mentioned above check the settings on your account!

Yeah a lot of the content is HD quality and even get DD 5.1 on some of the movies as basq mentioned above check the settings on your account!

On 25mb upc Hd is way better than sd dvd quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

you
    On 25mb upc Hd is way better than sd dvd quality.

I'm on 30MB broadband max, but saying that I'm on to upc as during peak times that drops to 10MB, but still on my Western Digital Live box I still get HD picture where available and the 5.1 DD sound routed through my Amp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Well, no. It's not. The shop will no longer have the 42" plasma to sell if you steal it. Not trying to get into the rights and wrongs (mainly wrongs I accept) of torrenting copyrighted material but get your metaphors in proper order :o

• Advertisement

Well, no. It's not. The shop will no longer have the 42" plasma to sell if you steal it. Not trying to get into the rights and wrongs (mainly wrongs I accept) of torrenting copyrighted material but get your metaphors in proper order :o

I'm not getting into the morality of it either but it pisses me off that people expect to get legitimate services for virtually nothing just because they can download it illegally for nothing, thats not a economically sustainable model for any company, I mean your man is complaining about 20 cents a day where do you draw the line at these type of people?.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Netflix is by far the best streaming qulity I have come across, bar iTunes HD rentals. Better than BBC iplayer, RTE player, 4OD and SkyPlayer.

Whatever about peoples gripes in regard to content or layout, there simply isnt anything near wrong with their streaming quality.

I mean your man is complaining about 20 cents a day where do you draw the line at these type of people?.

Label them as being related to

victormeldrew.jpg

adox wrote: »
    Netflix is by far the best streaming qulity I have come across, bar iTunes HD rentals. Better than BBC iplayer, RTE player, 4OD and SkyPlayer.

Whatever about peoples gripes in regard to content or layout, there simply isnt anything near wrong with their streaming quality.

I'll second that, Sky Player hasn't a patch on the quality for me anyway. Well worth the €7, & the library will expand. People need to cool the jets.

Solair wrote: »
    I tried Netflix last night and while it's a start the range of movies on offer is pretty dire!

The UK tv shows are handy, especially the content that is otherwise only available on bbc iplayer.

I'm not as wowed as I thought I would be. It needs more content and it needs better quality streaming. The resolution is poor compared to streaming content from Sky Player for example.

It's a definite start though but still needs work! Quite handy on the iPad too!

What? The first thing I noticed is how much better the quality is then Sky Go/Player. Sky Go has washed out colours, everything looks robbed of vibrancy and is fairly low res, I hate it. Netflix is much better, I don't know how you could be getting a better picture from Sky Go...though I haven't tried the iPad app. The Netflix Android app doesn't work on my phone so I can't try that either (Well, it "works", but the audio syncs out because the phone can't handle the codec. They need to make a low quality one for Androids.)

You'd probably gasp at my DVD collection.....I couldn't really rent so I bought them all the time. Maybe I can use it as a fort....

Streaming has been no hassle for me, and I'm on a terrible underperforming Eircom connection at home, (Should be about 1MB, never goes above 500KB), what exactly is your problem? Is it buffering all the time? I've seen it do that at some times of the day but not very often. I haven't had any audio sync problems, can you give examples?

For the moment, you can check when new content comes in on the Facebook/Twitter pages, I imagine a better way might come in time, but it's not perfect. Don't know about search, the categories work well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MoMo1987

Hi all,

Can anyone explain to me in plain english how to unblock the US version of Netflicks on a standard windows laptop (technologically disabled :)).

I've signed up for the Irish version but the selection isn't that great just want to see if its worth while keeping up the subscription if the US version is any better

Thanks
    Mo

MoMo1987 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can anyone explain to me in plain english how to unblock the US version of Netflicks on a standard windows laptop (technologically disabled :)).

I've signed up for the Irish version but the selection isn't that great just want to see if its worth while keeping up the subscription if the US version is any better

Thanks
    Mo

I'm no help with that, except I suppose try TunnelBear?

But I can give recommendations....are you looking more for Films or TV? The better films it has are a little obscure (but that makes it better to me...)

I'm not saying there isn't a whole ton of stuff on the US one, but I see a lot of people complaining about the catalogue that I suspect just don't really recognize what's good, and don't want to bother finding out :/ You need to put in a little effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

MoMo1987 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks
    Mo

http://playmo.tv/?ref=omag

Try this. Been using it for over a week now on my ipad and works perfectly. still in Beta and they don't expect to start charging for another couple of months.

Works on PS3 Apple TV and Windows PC's as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Tweaky wrote: »
    http://playmo.tv/?ref=omag

Try this. Been using it for over a week now on my ipad and works perfectly. still in Beta and they don't expect to start charging for another couple of months.

Works on PS3 Apple TV and Windows PC's as well

Looks very good, will try it on my iPad later. am I right in saying its beta testing and so free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Looks very good, will try it on my iPad later. am I right in saying its beta testing and so free?

Yeah that's correct and according to their twitter account they don't expect to start charging for another couple of months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement