Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Its still not as good as private tracker torrent downloading . Its hard to beat "free" .

Service for which i pay a ridiculously low fee for all the streaming i want and being legal > Illegal downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

adox wrote: »
    Have you monitored your picture quality constantly though? I'm on. 8Mb connection, getting approx 6.5Mb real download speed. I'm streaming though PS3 and have seen absolutely no difference in quality when using the US Netlix site. Isn't the whole point of their DNS just to trick particular sites intiially and then you are most likely streaming from your own ISP anyway?

Also the quality varies on the streams according to speed fluctuations on your line so it go from low sd to xtra high HD in a matter of minutes. I've found that nearly all my streams start at a low quality and within a couple of minutes work their way up to HD status. They can fluctuate down again occasionally, but it's rare, they are usually quiet constant once they reach HD quality.

All I know is that I watched a full Star Trek episode wirelessly, I hit select every know and again throughout and it never changed from "LOW:SD" and looking poor, I stuck in the cable and changed the settings to wired and the second episode looks much better at least High:SD sometimes XtraHigh, I read else where that internet on PS3 isnt as good wirelessly as wired and it seems to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Using my PS3 to connect to the US netflix and I'm only getting medium, despite being on 30Mb connection. Anyone able to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

All I know is that I watched a full Star Trek episode wirelessly, I hit select every know and again throughout and it never changed from "LOW:SD" and looking poor, I stuck in the cable and changed the settings to wired and the second episode looks much better at least High:SD sometimes XtraHigh, I read else where that internet on PS3 isnt as good wirelessly as wired and it seems to be the case.

That's strange as mines wireless too and working fine on a much lower speed line. Even my router is an old G one.

Have you monitored your picture quality constantly though? I'm on. 8Mb connection, getting approx 6.5Mb real download speed. I'm streaming though PS3 and have seen absolutely no difference in quality when using the US Netlix site. Isn't the whole point of their DNS just to trick particular sites intiially and then you are most likely streaming from your own ISP anyway?

Also the quality varies on the streams according to speed fluctuations on your line so it go from low sd to xtra high HD in a matter of minutes. I've found that nearly all my streams start at a low quality and within a couple of minutes work their way up to HD status. They can fluctuate down again occasionally, but it's rare, they are usually quiet constant once they reach HD quality.

From: http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-improve-netflix-streaming.html

"Only use a wired connection. Using a wireless connection can create minor latency or decrease connection speeds. Ensure that your device is connected to the Internet via a wired network connection when viewing Netflix, this can greatly improve Netflix streaming."

• Advertisement

That's strange as mines wireless too and working fine on a much lower speed line. Even my router is an old G one.

Whatever works for you is fine, for me I seen a big improvement so will stick to wired.

Using my PS3 to connect to the US netflix and I'm only getting medium, despite being on 30Mb connection. Anyone able to help?

Make sure its a wired connection as in my previous posts.

Whatever works for you is fine, for me I seen a big improvement so will stick to wired.

Yeah for sure. I wasn't trying to boast or anything of the sort, just trying to show that it can work fine wirelessly for some with a modest connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Is it streaming only?

Can you save what you watch so as to view on a TV that has no Internet connection options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Is it streaming only?

Can you save what you watch?

It's streaming only. You can't save anything.

• Advertisement

Make sure its a wired connection as in my previous posts.

It is wired still going no higher than med/SD dropping to low sometimes

Yeah for sure. I wasn't trying to boast or anything of the sort, just trying to show that it can work fine wirelessly for some with a modest connection.

Didn't read it as you boasting, I don't know why the discrepancies but am happy for the moment, after a week I probably will subscribe to Unblock.

It is wired still going no higher than med/SD dropping to low sometimes

I don't know why that would be, maybe its your modem/router? Go to test connection on PS3 and it will tell your connection speed, mine ws 9.8 to 10 two times I tried it, enough for v good quality.

I don't know why that would be, maybe its your modem/router? Go to test connection on PS3 and it will tell your connection speed, mine ws 9.8 to 10 two times I tried it, enough for v good quality.

Meant to be getting 30, my laptop gets 22 wireless and my PS3 is getting just 10 while wired

Meant to be getting 30, my laptop gets 22 wireless and my PS3 is getting just 10 while wired

Yeah unblock does slow it down a good bit, my mac is 20 download without it and my PS3 is 10 with it, but for me its acceptable.

Yeah unblock does slow it down a good bit, my mac is 20 download without it and my PS3 is 10 with it, but for me its acceptable.

Yeah I don't really mind the speed drop, it's the fact that the videos are completely unwatchable. I mean I'd settle for High/SD but I should easily be getting HD on this conection

Yeah I don't really mind the speed drop, it's the fact that the videos are completely unwatchable. I mean I'd settle for High/SD but I should easily be getting HD on this conection

Your getting 10Mb download speed? Should be more than enough to stream their HD content.

Your getting 10Mb download speed? Should be more than enough to stream their HD content.

Yup it definitely should be but apparently not :P

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

I have seen a few posts on the the lack of bookmarking or favorite list to watch later.This is a workaround that works for me.Click on any title(s) you want to watch in the future.The movie will load which takes just 4 seconds for me.Now press "back to browsing"and do the same thing for every title you want to watch later.Next go to "Your account & Help" >recent activity >See all.
    You now have a page of your Instant Watching Activity where you should see all the titles you just selected ready to play.

As has been said many times already there are loads of movies hidden on Netflix that don't show up when browsing under Genres or other headings, I just found the fantasic Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence on it even though it isn't mentioned anywhere.

Edit: Just found it has Red Dwarf, every episode and all Father Ted's and Blackadder's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Wow. That unblockUS DNS workaround for the PS3 works flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I used the Unlock DNS address on my iPad and it works great to access US Netflix. Only problem is that the stream quality is terrible. I've tried three different films now and none of them turned to HD.

I'm on 25 MB UPC connection and Speedtest.net tells me I'm getting 17MB right now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm on 25 MB UPC connection and Speedtest.net tells me I'm getting 17MB right now.

Ring them up and complain. Tell them ahead of time that you've been on the site and it's unacceptable - UPC generally don't give you what you paid for unless you complain! Tell them u just paid for netflix and it stutters like crap etc.

WOOT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Have to say, Its not bad. Lot more movies too choose from when you join. I wasn't going to bother going on the original library I found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I've setup the US Netflix on my ATV

Is that easy to do? First of all how do you set up a US Netflix account (does your Irish credit card address not give you away?) or does your Irish account login work? If I set up a VPN and have a US Itunes account can I do it easy enough or do I need to jailbreak the ATV?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

I used the Unlock DNS address on my iPad and it works great to access US Netflix. Only problem is that the stream quality is terrible. I've tried three different films now and none of them turned to HD.

Are you getting 17 over wifi or hard wired?

EItherway, 17 is more than enough to handle the streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

dodzy wrote: »
    Are you getting 17 over wifi or hard wired?

EItherway, 17 is more than enough to handle the streams.

It is 17 over wi-fi. I tested it on the speedtest.net app on the iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

So I'm a week into my trial and if I join now I will see more content immediately?
    How much of an increase in areas such as classic movies or foreign movies do you see?
    Charlie19 wrote: »
    Have to say, Its not bad. Lot more movies too choose from when you join. I wasn't going to bother going on the original library I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Ring them up and complain. Tell them ahead of time that you've been on the site and it's unacceptable - UPC generally don't give you what you paid for unless you complain! Tell them u just paid for netflix and it stutters like crap etc.WOOT
    It is 17 over wi-fi. I tested it on the speedtest.net app on the iPad.
    Well no point in getting onto UPC complaining, unless you have carried out the test on a pc/laptop over a direct connection to router.

That sad, I've streamed to ipad ( speedtest results averaging similar speeds to yourself, and no issues experienced )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

bullpost wrote: »
    So I'm a week into my trial and if I join now I will see more content immediately?
    How much of an increase in areas such as classic movies or foreign movies do you see?

If you are in the trial that will be the total catalog as it stands at the moment.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement