Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours Election 2020 poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Fine Gael for me. The only ones who even mention lowering taxes.
    As they did at the last election. That really worked out well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

bubblypop wrote: »
    No choice for the soc dems on the poll

Who wants them?

Ran Ellie Kisyombe in the local elections who arrived in Ireland on a student visa in 2011, claimed asylum in the UK and then returned to Ireland in 2014 to make a claim and was placed in direct provision.

Before any investigative journalist looked into her she was dodging questions and "couldn't recall" dates on radio shows

Did a lot of damage to the SD party

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Who wants them?

Ran Ellie Kisyombe in the local elections who arrived in Ireland on a student visa in 2011, claimed asylum in the UK and then returned to Ireland in 2014 to make a claim and was placed in direct provision.

Before any investigative journalist looked into her she was dodging questions and "couldn't recall" dates on radio shows

Their policies are the nearest to my ideals, no party fits exactly.
    & that's one thing you can find against them? It's not so bad......... Hardly the corruption, or criminal acts, or whatever other parties are guilty of!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Meh, the SD National Executive was more bothered then me over Ellie Kisyombe seeing as 3 of them resigned over it

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MichaelKnee

Edgware wrote: »
    As they did at the last election. That really worked out well

Like I said, no one else is even talking about lowering taxes. What should I do? Vote for SF and hope they U-turn and lower taxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

AMKC wrote: »
    Of course they do they are hoping people will be stupid enought to believe them and vote them in again. I would not believe a word out of any politicians mouth. They are all in it for themselves thars it.

I am voting for Labour because we need more party's than just Fine Gael and Fine Fail.

Irony level 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Irish Freedom Party are not running in my constituency so I'll be spoiling my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The Irish Freedom Party are not running in my constituency so I'll be spoiling my vote.

Great news tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Where are the Social Democrats?

Where are the Social Democrats?

I've said elsewhere, I'd probably vote for them, but they haven't a single candidate in the south-east.

They're the worst organised party in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I'm at a total loss as to who to vote for. IMO fine Gael are a Dublin centric party of the rich, with FF not too far behind them. Labour, SF I've no confidence in whatsoever. It's all so hopeless

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Fine Gael for me. The only ones who even mention lowering taxes.

USC...they always mention lowering taxes but then its just for elections, not reality.
    This is the party that has increased taxes on imported cars, because how dare Irish people buy cheaper imports and save money, FG decide to increase the taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

I think I'll make a crude drawing of an erect phallus on my ballot paper.
    A mark of the esteem I have for the options available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The most prevelant view seems to be that the Irish are very poor at governing themselves, and that there is little confidence that they can improve and do so competently.

A mark of the esteem I have for the options available.

Arghus wrote: »
    It's tough to decide. Everyone is different degrees of useless
    "None of the above".
    My take on it

FG are incompetent
    FF are crooks (still)
    SF will always be scum of the highest order
    Green Party make it up as they go along
    Labour are not Labour
    PBF, Aontu etc not living in the real world, but sure the do no harm and it's good for them to get out in the fresh air.
    Independents can promise whatever they like and hope their seat/principles can be bought by a minority party looking to form a government, which is fair enough.
    screamer wrote: »
    Where’s the none of the above option. I’m truly fed up of the same old faces bull**** that traded as choices in oireland. They can all take a running jump shower of self serving gob****es.
    I'm at a total loss as to who to vote for. IMO fine Gael are a Dublin centric party of the rich, with FF not too far behind them. Labour, SF I've no confidence in whatsoever. It's all so hopeless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

My take on it

FG are incompetent
    FF are crooks (still)
    SF will always be scum of the highest order
    Green Party make it up as they go along
    Labour are not Labour
    PBF, Aontu etc not living in the real world, but sure the do no harm and it's good for them to get out in the fresh air.
    Independents can promise whatever they like and hope their seat/principles can be bought by a minority party looking to form a government, which is fair enough.

That’s very funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Careful. I did that in the 2011 presidential election and the returning officer declared it as a valid vote for Sean Gallagher. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Who wants them?

The majority of normal people don't care enough, one way or the other (about immigration or the Social Democrats), for it to have damaged them. They're a strange, anonymous party that hasn't been able to penetrate the public consciousness in any meaningful way. If they don't gain an extra seat or two in this election, they might as well just give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

The most prevelant view seems to be that the Irish are very poor at governing themselves, and that there is little confidence that they can improve and do so competently.

If things were as you'd prefer them to be we'd have had the prospect of government by Boris Johnson's Conservatives or Jeremy Corbin's Labour in the most recent GE.
    Unimpressive (to put it mildly) as our politicians/parties are, they're vastly preferable to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I only registered to vote when abortion came up. Never had much interest or wasn't in the country etc. Sinn Fein is a no brainer at this point. I've read throguh all the poliicies and theirs align best with my own beliefs. I even did some online matching thing for the craic and it topped with SF followed by an Independent. Now, I have to say, I'd have been wary of the party of the best of times, but the turnaround they did on supporting the abortion repeal changwd my mind alot. I really believe the party is modernizing. And I think it's most likely to take actual action out of all of them. Anyone who's ever met Pearse Doherty would be hard pressed to say he doesn't follow through. That man is around since I was a young one and his conviction in his values and beliefs is honestly refreshing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Sinn Fein even though they have zero chance in my constituency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭pgj2015

id vote for Kim Jong un before id ever vote sinn fein, ill probably vote for an independant again.

If sinn fein were in government, the country would be bankrupt in a fortnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Honestly find it impossible to know who to vote for.

While I don't blame Fine Gael for the health crisis, their record on housing and bull****tery is dreadful. Can't stand Varadkar.

Fianna Fail took the country into catastrophy and now want the keys back.

Independents are pretty much useless.

Wouldn't vote for Sinn Fein if the alternative was the installation of Danny Healy Rae as dictator for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Here's your options:

1. Fine Gael = told odious lies while in opposition and have done sweet fa for the 'squeezed middle'. So vote FG if you're rich or if you make a living off welfare, but avoid if you're enither.

2. Fianna Fail = only people with blind/stupid loyalty or chronic amnesia will vote for these charlatans. They will never get my vote, end of.

3. Sinn Fein = Gerry was never in the IRA you know. SF are still quite clearly the political wing of a terrorist organisation, they're the least trust worthy of all Irish parties and that's saying something. There's a very pernicious way about them when they speak, avoid at all costs!

But feel free to vote for them if you're a professional welfare recipient of course, they'll gladly fill you're pockets with other people's money.

4. Labour = basically a slightly more left wing FG with an extra sprinkle of hypocrisy given their record in government before they were fcuked out. I wince when I hear them criticize FG.

5. The Green Party = they can píss right off, I'm never gonna eat a vegan 'burger'.

6. People Before Profit = I would never remotely consider the loony left, they're ridiculous.

7. Independents = some of them (but not majy) are possibly ok and at least they have autonomy, they're not subject to a party whip (one of the most hilariously undemocratic practices you'll ever see), but having said that it's a waste of a vote because fcuk all people like independents so they can do fcuk all. Best left alone.

8. The Healy Raes = great lads, might move to Kerry so I can vote for worthwhile politicians ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I find the whole Fianna Fail ruined the country line hilarious. Fine Gael would have done the exact same. And it was a global recession.

Likewise Fianna Fail would have repeated Fine Gael's failures, 2011-2019.

Probably the only difference being Fianna Fail wouldn't have commemorated the Black and Tans.

At the end of the day the middle classes know they'll get relative stability with FFG. Say Sinn Féin and the Greens, along with independents were in a position to form a government. That's a scary thought for the majority. It would be seriously interesting though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Here's your options:

1. Fine Gael = told odious lies while in opposition and have done sweet fa for the 'squeezed middle'. So vote FG if you're rich or if you make a living off welfare, but avoid if you're enither.

2. Fianna Fail = only people with blind/stupid loyalty or chronic amnesia will vote for these charlatans. They will never get my vote, end of.

3. Sinn Fein = Gerry was never in the IRA you know. SF are still quite clearly the political wing of a terrorist organisation, they're the least trust worthy of all Irish parties and that's saying something. There's a very pernicious way about them when they speak, avoid at all costs!

But feel free to vote for them if you're a professional welfare recipient of course, they'll gladly fill you're pockets with other people's money.

4. Labour = basically a slightly more left wing FG with an extra sprinkle of hypocrisy given their record in government before they were fcuked out. I wince when I hear them criticize FG.

5. The Green Party = they can píss right off, I'm never gonna eat a vegan 'burger'.

6. People Before Profit = I would never remotely consider the loony left, they're ridiculous.

7. Independents = some of them (but not majy) are possibly ok and at least they have autonomy, they're not subject to a party whip (one of the most hilariously undemocratic practices you'll ever see), but having said that it's a waste of a vote because fcuk all people like independents so they can do fcuk all. Best left alone.

8. The Healy Raes = great lads, might move to Kerry so I can vote for worthwhile politicians ;-)

Who should govern Ireland then ? All option on offer at the moment being rejected. What radical alternative would change the quality of public representative and improve on all that you reject above ?

Here's your options:

Who will you be voting for ;)

Ok the choices aren't great but it's all relative, we're not living under Joe Stalin or Robert Mugabe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

If only we had competent people like Corbyn, Johnson and Trump to vote for it would be a great country

Edgware wrote: »
    If only we had competent people like Corbyn, Johnson and Trump to vote for it would be a great country

We were really well governed at other times during our history. The 1845-1852 period is a personal highlight. Things are so much worse now..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Who should govern Ireland then ? All option on offer at the moment being rejected. What radical alternative would change the quality of public representative and improve on all that you reject above ?

Well I can't vote for any of them at the minute cause none of them remotely represent me. I think voting for the 'least worst' candidate is very irresponsible, it encourages politicians to continue telling lies (why change a winning formula).

I'd like an honest politician to vote for, someone who would abandon the election spin completely and get on with the job. Sadly I don't believe such a politician exists, certainly not in my area anyway.

Advertisement