Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours Election 2020 poll

Options

Comments

Edgware wrote: »
    "within the pail" ? They might kick the bucket allright
    Hoping to get a boost because students will go home from their excessively rented accommodation to vote and "country folk" will not vote due to travelling to Dublin is really grasping at straws. Incidentally a lot of these "country folk" are from North of the Border and wont have a vote.

Whoosh

• Registered Users Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I love the way this poll will be way off, of what will actually happen on the 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Fianna Fail all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Leo is coming across as FGs weakest link as far as I can see. He comes across very poorly often very arrogant and he never stops droning on about the past. After 9 years in power the FG leader should be able to focus on their record rather than his non stop below the belt digs at the opposition.

He is a LOT to do with FGs falling popularity. They have done a good job with the economy but leo is not liked. If they have a bad election I'd say he'll step aside and let Simon C take over. Can't see leo playing second fiddle the MM.

Leo is coming across as FGs weakest link as far as I can see. He comes across very poorly often very arrogant and he never stops droning on about the past. After 9 years in power the FG leader should be able to focus on their record rather than his non stop below the belt digs at the opposition.

He is a LOT to do with FGs falling popularity. They have done a good job with the economy but leo is not liked. If they have a bad election I'd say he'll step aside and let Simon C take over. Can't see leo playing second fiddle the MM.

surely a big job in brussels is calling as he has been so cringe in kissing their backside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Enda got lucky with the economy. He didn't have any new ideas. They were all IMF/FF economic policies.

The hard working people of Ireland and US multinationals got us back on track.
    Enda tried to scupper the recovery with the biggest quango of all time - Irish Water (set up in a cloud of cronyism and corruption).

Enda promised new politics and and end to the trolley crisis and abolition/reform of the Seanad. He also let Maurice McCabe hang in the wind for years while successive justice ministers and corrupt Garda commissioners tried to silence him.

Enda proved to the international markets that a solid pair of hands would be at the wheel from 2011 on, Greece chose a communist government and made a bad situation worse, our situation was touch and go for about a year as to whether a second bailout would be required, a sensible government restored faith in the markets

Enda wasn't and isn't an especially talented individual but he was by any measure a successful taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The poll on here is totally opposite to what the media polls are reporting.

FG in a clear lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

NIMAN wrote: »
    The poll on here is totally opposite to what the media polls are reporting.

FG in a clear lead.

Plenty of snobs on boards though,so I wouldn't read too much into that .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mad_maxx wrote:
    Enda proved to the international markets that a solid pair of hands would be at the wheel from 2011 on, Greece chose a communist government and made a bad situation worse, our situation was touch and go for about a year as to whether a second bailout would be required, a sensible government restored faith in the markets

Greece tried to show that pretending that European financial institutions werent bankrupt, and continually extending bailouts, and by implementing austerity measures, simply would not work, time has shown, they were right

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Greece tried to show that pretending that European financial institutions werent bankrupt, and continually extending bailouts, and by implementing austerity measures, simply would not work, time has shown, they were right

Yes, Greece chose a wise path

Not!

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Yes, Greece chose a wise path

Not!

completely agree, accepting the bailout terms has brought stability to their economy, has stabilised the eu as a whole, and everything is good, particularly amongst eu financial institutions, the future of the eu looks good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

So what has your boy Varadkar done differently?

Kenny put himself in front of the people twice and was returned, although it was only by the skin of his teeth last time round.

This is Varadkars first time fighting for re election as Taoiseach and he has done nothing to warrant a return to the bosses chair.

Although the alternative is worse, the idea of MM running the show is enough to make me sick.

My boy Varadkar?

Enda never put himself in front of anything. He let others take the bullets. He could barely answer a question in the Dail and ran away from the press.
    It was very frustrating especially since there was no credible opposition with FF licking their wounds. Enda had a massive opportunity in 2011
    to really reform this country but he blew it. Enda took the safe approach (do nothing and hope for the best) and still managed to lose 16 seats in 2016.
    He cleverly let Labour take the heat for Irish Water when it was Trickle Hogan that did alll the damage. Hogan got rewarded for the Irish Water disaster with a new job in Europe!

Just like Enda, Leo has been lucky with the economy continuing to recovery. Leo gets no credit for that either.
    Leo has also tried his best to waste taxpayer money (e.g. Childrens hospital, Broadband scheme).
    But I do give credit to Leo for being more articulate and available since he became Taoiseach in 2017. He repealed the 8th which Enda just
    avoided like the plague. The one thing I really respect Leo for is calling Maurice McCabe a distinguished member of the Gardai. I think that
    was a turning point for that poor man who got a lot of abuse from this state. Enda met him on the street (https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/elections/kenny-shakes-hands-with-whistleblower-garda-mccabe-30287155.html).

Having said all that, Leo's overall tenure as Taoiseach has been very poor. His handling of the Maria Bailey debacle was truly awful.
    I have voted FG for 20 years but I will not vote for them again. FF are still a crowd of gangsters but somehow FG are making them look good.
    I will be voting SDs or Independents on Feb 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 huddledDuke12

If Renua are still around, they have my number 1!

If Renua are still around, they have my number 1!

still around but insignificant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Haven't voted yet because I havent decided yet, but it will be one of the Greens, Labour or the Social Democrats.

The selection of the date was to block young voters.
    There was a push to register a lot of young voters over the last year. However they will only be added to the register on the 15th of February. So they picked a date earlier than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

There was a push to register a lot of young voters over the last year. However they will only be added to the register on the 15th of February. So they picked a date earlier than that.

Where are you getting this from? The register gets updated on a regular basis. The fact that it's on a Saturday suggest they want to help students and young people vote.

They can go on the supplementary register

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Where are you getting this from? The register gets updated on a regular basis. The fact that it's on a Saturday suggest they want to help students and young people vote.

I heard February 15th as earliest too.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html#l82302

https://www.thejournal.ie/general-election-2020-draft-register-problem-4964913-Jan2020/

The register comes into force on 15 February.

Yes they can go on the supplementary register, but some of them won't and fewer of them will vote.

I don't see a Saturday election being of any particular benefit to young people or students.

• Advertisement

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html#l82302

https://www.thejournal.ie/general-election-2020-draft-register-problem-4964913-Jan2020/

The register comes into force on 15 February.

Yes they can go on the supplementary register, but some of them won't and fewer of them will vote.

How does this affect young people in particular though?
    I don't see a Saturday election being of any particular benefit to young people or students.

Most students who study away from their home town are not registered where they study and so have to face losing out on a day of college in order to travel home to vote. It has been a common complaint in every election I've ever been able to vote in.

How does this affect young people in particular though?

Most students who study away from their home town are not registered where they study and so have to face losing out on a day of college in order to travel home to vote. It has been a common complaint in every election I've ever been able to vote in.
    Obviously a large portion of people who are newly registered to vote will be people who have only recently become old enough.

Also like I mentioned, there was a push to get a lot of them registered last year, and now lots of them won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

FG, I see no need to be chopping and changing all the time. Before anyone starts on about the problems the country faces, There is no such thing as perfection. The more we all bad together and do out best the better, kicking cans and protesting solves no problems.

Dan.

FG, I see no need to be chopping and changing all the time. Before anyone starts on about the problems the country faces, There is no such thing as perfection. The more we all bad together and do out best the better, kicking cans and protesting solves no problems.
    Women's suffrage, MLK, US withdrawal from Vietnam, British withdrawal from India, fall of the Berlin Wall, overthrow of Communist governments in all European Warsaw Pact nations (all bloodless revolutions except Romania), legalisation of abortion, legalisation of gay marriage...

Obviously a large portion of people who are newly registered to vote will be people who have only recently become old enough.

Also like I mentioned, there was a push to get a lot of them registered last year, and now lots of them won't be.

As another poster pointed out they can still vote by registering on the supplementary register.

As another poster pointed out they can still vote by registering on the supplementary register.
    Like I already said "Yes they can go on the supplementary register, but some of them won't and fewer of them will vote."

Enough repeating myself; read my posts if you want to respond to them.

Like I already said "Yes they can go on the supplementary register, but some of them won't and fewer of them will vote."

Enough repeating myself; read my posts if you want to respond to them.

I'll do as I please, thanks all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,601 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The election should be moved to August to “accommodate” all the people who won’t be old enough, or who were too lazy to update their details, for this one.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

FG, along with Woman who is a card-carrying, fanatical SS-Standartenführer. :D

• Advertisement

FG handling if Brexit will see them wiped out at the polls

Advertisement