Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2019

Options
  • 31-12-2018 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Too early? Or not early enough?! National Final season is already in progress with more to come in the weeks ahead so may as well start the thread.

Will be hosted in Tel Aviv as opposed to Israel's contentiously favoured Jerusalem.

No debuting or returning countries this year although Bulgaria have unfortunately withdrawn.

Here's to a great year!

Eurovision 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The first to be picked is, as usual, Albania. I'm pretty certain we haven't heard the winner already :)

Albania

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There was a story in the Irish Mail two weeks ago that RTE want Una Healy to represent them, but it's hard to tell how much substance there is to the claim or if she has even submitted a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

Spain picked MIKI's "La Venda" to represent them in Tel Aviv.

Very catchy song with good vibes and energy that should place much higher than Amaia & Alfred last year.

After the robot disaster last year, San Marino made an internal selection for 2019: their 2016 artist Serhat!

Decent duet with 2005 winner Helena Paparizou released in September last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It'll be a boycott from me this year, back at it next year, as long as Israel don't win it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

vicwatson wrote: »
    It'll be a boycott from me this year, back at it next year, as long as Israel don't win it again.

Same goes for myself and a lot of friends I know, who usually wouldn't miss it, (several of them have even traveled to the last few Eurovision contests to see it live).

Protestors jumped on stage after Netta's performance at France's national final this weekend:

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Strazdas wrote: »
    There was a story in the Irish Mail two weeks ago that RTE want Una Healy to represent them, but it's hard to tell how much substance there is to the claim or if she has even submitted a song.

Una and Uncle Declan country duet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

As much as I supported Cyprus last year, and gutted she didn’t win, Netta was a credible winner and if I wasn’t going to Japan for RWC I would have considered a trip to Tel Aviv!

lbc2019 wrote: »
    As much as I supported Cyprus last year, and gutted she didn’t win, Netta was a credible winner and if I wasn’t going to Japan for RWC I would have considered a trip to Tel Aviv!

+1 Netta was a deserving winner. I'd be in Tel Aviv too if I didn't have other commitments.

Were there similar boycotts in 1999?

Cyprus, oh the memories... :P

0f423b0528b5a40920d0fe56926cfbbe.gif

• Advertisement

Amik wrote: »
    lbc2019 wrote: »

+1 Netta was a deserving winner. I'd be in Tel Aviv too if I didn't have other commitments.

Were there similar boycotts in 1999?

Cyprus, oh the memories... :P

0f423b0528b5a40920d0fe56926cfbbe.gif

They both were awesome live

Look at me, I'm a beautiful creature
    I don't care about your "modern time preachers"
    Welcome boys, too much noise, I will teach ya
    (Pam pam pa hoo, turram pam pa hoo)
    Hey, I think you forgot how to play
    My teddy bear's running away
    The Barbie got something to say, hey, hey, hey
    Hey! My "Simon says" leave me alone
    I'm taking my Pikachu home
    You're stupid just like your smartphone
    Wonder Woman don't you ever forget
    You're divine and he's about to regret
    He's a bucka-mhm-buckbuckbuck-mhm boy
    Bucka-mhm-buckbuckbuck
    I'm not your bucka-mhm-buck-mhm-buck-mhm
    I'm not your toy (Not your toy)
    You stupid boy (Stupid boy)
    I'll take you down now, make you watch
    We're dancing with my dolls on the motha-bucka beat
    Not your toy (Cululoo, cululoo)
    (Cululoo, cululoo)
    A-a-a-Ani lo buba
    Don't you go and play with me boy!
    A-a-a-Ani lo buba
    Don't you go and play, shake!
    (Cululoo, cululoo) Wedding bells ringing
    (Cululoo, cululoo) Money men bling-bling
    I don’t care about your stefa, baby
    (Pam pam pa hoo, turram pam pa hoo)
    Wonder Woman don't you ever forget
    You're divine and he's about to regret
    He's a bucka-mhm-buckbuckbuck-mhm boy
    Bucka-mhm-buckbuckbuck
    I'm not your bucka-mhm-buck-mhm-buck-mhm
    I'll take you down now, make you watch
    We're dancing with my dolls on the motha-bucka beat
    I'll t-t-t-take you now
    W-w-w-with me now, boy
    You stupid boy
    I'll take you down now, make you watch me
    Dancing with my dolls on the motha-bucka beat
    (I'm not your toy) Look at me, I'm a beautiful creature
    (You stupid boy) I don't care about your "modern time preacher"
    (I'm not your toy) Not your toy, not your toy, not your toy, toy
    I'm not your toy, not your toy, not your toy, toy

Duncan Laurence is confirmed to represent the Netherlands in Tel Aviv. Song not yet known but he does give off a bit of a Maroon 5 vibe.

Some big Dutch names were rumoured, even Armin Van Buuren.

Two former Dutch representatives on The Voice jury in that clip: Trijntje Oosterhuis (2015) and, one of my personal favourites, Ilse DeLange (The Common Linnets, 2014).

I'd love to learn Dutch, fun sounding language.

tumblr_nojzj6qoHZ1te9qdeo3_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Looking forward to it this year. Viewing numbers will make interesting reading.
    Protestors jumped on stage after Netta's performance at France's national final this weekend

France were at the semi final stage last weekend. Watched a bit of it. Nothing overly exciting from the musical perspective.

Berserker wrote: »
    France were at the semi final stage last weekend. Watched a bit of it. Nothing overly exciting from the musical perspective.

Very underwhelming hopefuls among the Final 8 compared to Madame Monsieur last year:

The most buzz surrounds Bilal Hassani. My favourite is Chemene Badi. Emmanuel Moire sounds strong too but I don't like the song.

2019 won't be France's year...

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

I think that Seemone can get a very reputable result for France.

dogcat wrote: »
    I think that Seemone can get a very reputable result for France.

+1 It is a nice chanson and Seemone lovely but too light a song to follow France's last three excellent entries: Amir, Alma, and Madame Monsieur.

That said, they DID place 8th in 2009 with a similar style chanson: Patricia Kaas "Et s'il fallait le faire". Can't forget about the Salvador-effect either...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is what the UK are doing
    What with Bexit I'm thinking there's something in the water over there.
    3 Songs. Each covered by 2 contestants.

Unusually, the six contestants share three songs - each putting their own spin on one of the potential entries.
    The public will choose who goes through to the final in a live TV show, Eurovision: You Decide, on Friday, 8 February.
    The first song listed is a cliche-ridden love ballad
    Two Versions.
    Holly Tandy, X Factor ... struggled in the live shows ... has a nice hat.
    Hartlepool busker Michael Rice

This is what the UK are doing
    What with Bexit I'm thinking there's something in the water over there.
    3 Songs. Each covered by 2 contestants.

All three of the song titles have Brexit undertones:
    • Bigger Than Us
    • Freaks
    • Sweet Lies
    :P

I like that selection approach. I think Lithuanian in the past had 20+ singers do the same song over and over. The UK approach adds some variety at least.

Holly Tandy's performance sounds great but you're right about X-Factor, she really seemed to struggle in the clips I YouTube'd. Nice hat though! :P

Kerrie-Anne is my pick basing on these BBC clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/EurovisionCent/status/1087459042031796228

I think Blanche should have won with City Lights. Hopefully this song will be as good if not better.

• Advertisement

Love love National Selection season. We can always count on unique entries in Estonia...

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/EurovisionCent/status/1087459042031796228

I think Blanche should have won with City Lights. Hopefully this song will be as good if not better.

Belgium always seems to pick very young representatives.

I loved Blanche and her song but still remember how terrified she looked. Was it purely stage fright? It made the song sound a bit monotone live but her authenticity probably got her lots of votes.

Is it true we saw the last of FYR Macedonia at Eurovision last year, to be replaced by North Macedonia this year?

My absolute favourite song last year. Oh what could have been if they didn't mess up the live stage performance. Still hard to watch almost year later. Why Eye Cue, WHY? :(

Marija won the Barbara Dex Award with that outfit at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

Can't wait for Eurovision this year.

Like both songs selected so far. Intrigued by some of the announced artists and can't wait for their songs.

Regarding Eurovision being in Israel. Politics should be kept out of the contest so people should just enjoy it. Did people threathen boycotts when it was held in Putin's Russia or Azerbaijan?

Regarding Ireland, I'm quite nervous about our entry this year after we had a respectable finish last year. So far in the 21st Century anytime we got a decent result, the next year was a disaster;

11th 2003, 23rd 2004
    10th 2006, Last 2007
    Jedward got 8th & 19th places in 2011 & 12 and then in 2013 we came last and then suffered 4 consecutive Non-Qualifications

Hopefully this year breaks that cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭squarecircles

i wonder has marty and grainne booked their hotel accomadtion in israel yet.

reminds me,must buy a bottle of baileys... to smash at the wall.

Is it true we saw the last of FYR Macedonia at Eurovision last year, to be replaced by North Macedonia this year?

Coincidentally Macedonia named their internal selection today: Tamara Todevska

https://eurovision.tv/story/tamara-todevska-fyr-macedonia-2019

Song not announced yet but here's one from 4 months ago. I get a good vibe from her!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

True, the Greeks have ratified it, Eurovision is serious business , just ask the Portuguese about their revolution.

www.ekathimerini.com/237016/article/ekathimerini/news/greek-parliament-ratifies-north-macedonia-accord
    Greece on Friday ratified a landmark accord that changes the name of the neighbouring Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), ending a decades-old dispute with its neighbour and opening the way for the ex-Yugoslav republic to join the European Union and NATO.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Agreed. I don't want Ireland involved this year.

I wonder if South Africa were in the Eurovision in the 80s - not the most outlandish analogy given the countries involved now - would people have been fine with it being held in the Apartheid state?

Partying while Palestinians are denied basic human rights is obscene imo. Not buying the 'leave politics out of it' defence either as it becomes entirely political when you give the seal of approval, unwittingly or otherwise, to a state like Israel's actions.

I think 80 odd years from now people will treat acts that appear in this year's contest with a similar view as those of us today would treat the pictures of, say, the English football team making the Nazi salute when playing a game in Germany in the thirties.

Let's have RTE ignore Ireland's Eurovision tradition and engage in a much older Irish tradition instead - the boycott.

Let's have RTE ignore Ireland's Eurovision tradition and engage in a much older Irish tradition instead - the boycott.
    Nah, let's have a protest song.

But not overtly political as that's against the rules, just enough so that they have to keep quiet or it's a case of "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

• Advertisement

Malta, France, and Israel picking their representatives this windy night!

Live feed of France's Final on Eurovision France's Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/EurovisionFrance/videos/1121974757982506/

Advertisement