Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,296 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

LordBasil wrote: »
    That article is recycled from last May.

Anyway, I'd add the following to the list of potential entrants;

Jake Carter
    The Strypes
    Talos
    LYRA
    Walking on Cars
    Hozier (unlikely I know)

It's interesting we've heard nothing yet. What could it mean....
    Not a hope those last 2 would consider it.

LYRA would be an excellent call imo

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

gmisk wrote: »
    Not a hope those last 2 would consider it.

I know, but they are more likely than Niall Horan (as suggested in the article)

Yeah LYRA would be great. It would be good to see a female act do well for Ireland. The last time an Irish woman finished high at Eurovision was Eimear Quinn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

gmisk wrote: »

Posted on YouTube 4 days ago. MAYBE??? *fingers crossed*

louis-walsh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 72,264 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

That article is recycled from last May.

Anyway, I'd add the following to the list of potential entrants;

Jake Carter
    The Strypes
    Talos
    LYRA
    Walking on Cars
    Hozier (unlikely I know)

It's interesting we've heard nothing yet. What could it mean....

No room for Richie Kavanagh on that list? :D

Yeah LYRA would be great. It would be good to see a female act do well for Ireland.

She's Ériu personified! LYRA would represent us very well.

20180123-163410-740971.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

While we are talking about Irish artists and awaiting news of the Irish selection, here are some of my favourite tunes from the last 12 months from lesser known Irish artists....

Tim Chadwick - Weakness

Ryan McMullan - Bowie on The Radio

Saint Sister - Causing Trouble

Hudson Taylor - Run With Me

Tim Chadwick - Tell Me That

Flynn - My Gold

Saarloos - Changes

Brave Giant - Someone's Someone

Catherine McGrath - Wild

Jamie Harrison - Spent So Long

More to follow............

Dan man wrote: »
    While we are talking about Irish artists and awaiting news of the Irish selection, here are some of my favourite tunes from the last 12 months from lesser known Irish artists....

Thanks so much for sharing! We're a little island with big talent. :D

Amik wrote: »
    Posted on YouTube 4 days ago. MAYBE??? *fingers crossed*

louis-walsh.gif
    Well that is excellent, something along those lines could do well!

Could this be our man???

hWnu6qz.jpg

• Advertisement

Amik wrote: »
    Could this be our man???

hWnu6qz.jpg
    On twitter it looks like a gig in whelans...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

If Una Healy is still RTE’s #1 target then I can see her doing a country/pop song like some of these which would be different and work well imo

LC2016 wrote: »
    If Una Healy is still RTE’s #1 target then I can see her doing a country/pop song like some of these which would be different and work well imo

Another talented, lovely Irish lady I'd be proud to represent us in Tel Aviv! She'd bring some great energy to the stage and all her songs are catchy!

Poland are going the folk route this year with Tulia.

Poland may have trouble getting out of their semi this year.

Here's one of the group's popular covers:

Something like this by Kerryman Rea Garvey would go down a storm at Eurovision:

Rea Garvey - Beautiful Life

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Finally got around to listening to Montenegro and Italy. I thought all the individual vocals for Montenegro were terrible, but as a group they didn't sound bad. Either way though, it's going nowhere. Italy is fine, it's not doing a lot for me, but it seems to be very popular so idk.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

All of these were selected so far this weekend

Estonia

Another Stig Rasta song. Probably my favourite so far, but I think it's a bit too bland to trouble the top 5. On first impressions I think it's a top 10 contender though.

Slovenia

I kept waiting for it to go somewhere but it never did. Maybe if they make the most of the ethereal staging then it may surprise, but I doubt it.

Croatia

Great vocal performance, but that's about it I think. He also needs to lose the angel wings, Azerbaijan did it already back in 2008!

Latvia

A very different, interesting entry. I think juries may go for it.

Romania will select tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Some performances you may be interested in

Romania

Well this is pretty fúcking terrible. Think Romania could be headed for their second consecutive NQ.

I actually enjoy Romania honestly, I think they'll qualify and get a mid-table result in the final, nothing spectacular, mind.

• Advertisement

Romania

Well this is pretty fúcking terrible. Think Romania could be headed for their second consecutive NQ.

It reminds me of Latvia last year (Funny Girl), she is even wearing a red dress and that did not qualify.

dogcat wrote: »
    I actually enjoy Romania honestly, I think they'll qualify and get a mid-table result in the final, nothing spectacular, mind.

I agree. Stage performance needs a bit of polishing but the song is good.

Germany

This is... not very good.

Meanwhile, Ukraine, Hungary, Lithuania and Denmark will all select their entries later today. Ireland are the only country who haven't uttered a single word about what they're doing this year. I'd like to think it's because we're about to unveil something amazing. We can dream :pac:

Rumours on Twitter that it is Janet Devlin for Ireland. She would be a great choice.

This is... not very good.

Might be the first time a song and artist's name match. Looks awkward.

The blond's pants steal the show though!

Meanwhile, Ukraine, Hungary, Lithuania and Denmark will all select their entries later today. Ireland are the only country who haven't uttered a single word about what they're doing this year. I'd like to think it's because we're about to unveil something amazing. We can dream :pac:

Or maybe it's because they're struggling to find someone? Whoever puts themselves up to go to Tel Aviv is gonna face some backlash from those who support boycotting the event, and the call for boycotting will be louder in Ireland than most other countries. Some artists who otherwise may have been up for representing us may not want to do so in Israel. (Personally I'm not in favour of a boycott but I understand those who do support it and I don' think the idea is entirely without merit).

I've decided not to listen to any of the songs this year until the semi-finals, decided this year I want to be surprised and judge everything on first impressions from the live performance.

So the Ukrainian national final was er... interesting. Makes Linda Martin and her "gobsh*te" outburst seem pretty tame!

Ukraine's winner, a very good performance that I think can get them another top five, or even perhaps a win come May.

A robbed song in the German selection Friday night

dogcat wrote: »

Ukraine's winner, a very good performance that I think can get them another top five, or even perhaps a win come May.

A robbed song in the German selection Friday night
    The Ukraine song is quite decent....but the vocals are kind of brutal imo

• Advertisement

Hungary

I actually really like this on first listen. Singing in his native language probably won't help it, but that's what I thought about Salvador back in 2017.

Lithuania

A nice song, will probably qualify for the final without troubling the big guns.

Ukraine

Um, wow :D There's a lot going on here isn't there. The presentation needs a complete overhaul, the outfits are terrible! I'm not sure the juries will go for something so sexualised, but either way this is the first song picked so far that sounds like a potential winner. Wouldn't be surprised if we had a Ukraine Vs Russia situation again.

Denmark

A nice, plodding song, it lacks a good chorus. Can see it making the final, beyond that I'm not sure of it's chances.

Advertisement