Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'd say it's likely to be Una. She's in with RTE. They document her private life non stop.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

A source on Twitter claiming to be in the know is saying that it'll be a face familiar to UK tv audiences, implying some form of reality tv reject. Could well be made up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,296 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

LordBasil wrote: »
    As long as either has a killer song they'd be great choices. Maybe we will reveal our 8th Winner on the 8th!!!

Imagine if we won this year we would host the 65th ESC next year, incidentally Ireland debuted in 1965. Next Year will also be 50th Anniversary of our first win!!!
    Unfortunately I think its more likely sweden will finally catch up with us for most wins!
    There are a couple of very solid songs in Melodifestivalen this year, John Lundvik probably the stand out so dar.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Belgium

Not really sure what to make of this? It'll be interesting to see what they do with the staging.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

gmisk wrote: »
    Unfortunately I think its more likely sweden will finally catch up with us for most wins!
    There are a couple of very solid songs in Melodifestivalen this year, John Lundvik probably the stand out so dar.

To me nothing in MelFest feels like it could win this year. That Lundvik song is decent but inferior to Cesar Sampson, which only came 13th in the televote at ESC 2018. I think there is a growing backlash against Sweden being overmarked by the juries, the huge cheer last year in the arena when the hosts said 'With 21 points... Sweden' spoke volumes.

I think the winner will be between Russia, Italy and some internals that we've yet to hear.

• Advertisement

A source on Twitter claiming to be in the know is saying that it'll be a face familiar to UK tv audiences, implying some form of reality tv reject. Could well be made up though.

There's no way of knowing if that account is real or just someone spoofing. I'd take anything they say with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,296 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

To me nothing in MelFest feels like it could win this year. That Lundvik song is decent but inferior to Cesar Sampson, which only came 13th in the televote at ESC 2018. I think there is a growing backlash against Sweden being overmarked by the juries, the huge cheer last year in the arena when the hosts said 'With 21 points... Sweden' spoke volumes.

I think the winner will be between Russia, Italy and some internals that we've yet to hear.
    It was the only one that stuck in my head so you might be right. Usually there are some great songs not as many this year in melodifestivalen.
    Though I liked NANO again this year.
    I forgot about sweden getting booed.

I think hard to judge songs until you hear them live as well.
    The Netherlands song hasn't been released I don't think just the singer?

I thought the Norway was bonkers, it might do well if it's fun live

Another busy weekend. Finland, Moldova, Iceland, Norway and Portugal will all select their songs tonight, with Georgia and Serbia to come on Sunday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

https://twitter.com/leftybearcub/status/1101931271570292738?s=21

My current scorecard based on entries using My Eurovision Scoreboard app

I've decided not to listen to any of the songs this year until the semi-finals, decided this year I want to be surprised and judge everything on first impressions from the live performance.

Argh, I've just read about/seen pictures of the act that Iceland has chosen and am really struggling to resist the temptation to look it up on Youtube!!

• Advertisement

Finland

As generic as they come. Should qualify though.

Iceland

Manages the feat of being both the best and worst song picked so far. Their jury vote should be interesting :pac:

Moldova

Typical ballad, but I like it on first listen. Should get some jury love.

Norway

Comes across really... old fashioned to me? Like something Alcazar could've released as a follow up to Crying at the Discotheque.

Portugal

Well it's certainly different. I think I like the performance itself but not the song, unfortunately. Lisbon 2020 is off the cards.

Has anyone seen the rumours that it is Donna McCaul for Ireland. She's back in Ireland and according to her Facebook was at RTE filming something yesterday. I'll be hugely disappointed if after all the speculation it turns out to be her.

Has anyone seen the rumours that it is Donna McCaul for Ireland. She's back in Ireland and according to her Facebook was at RTE filming something yesterday. I'll be hugely disappointed if after all the speculation it turns out to be her.

In terms of the artist it would be a fairly underwhelming announcement on the face of it. But if the song is good enough then I guess it won't matter too much who sings it, as long as they can sing it well live? Really it's the song that's the most important thing; Donna McCaul with a decent song would still be preferable to Bono/Hozier/Imelda May etc. with a song that's total shíte!

I saw that tonight on another forum. Heaven help us all if it's true.

Surely even RTÉ wouldn't be that dumb though. I mean we took something of a step forward last year, and then to send her again?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Lisbon 2020 and Reykjavik 2020 are most certainly on the cards. Just art, pure art.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

Finland

As generic as they come. Should qualify though.

I had high hopes for Darude but I agree with you, too generic. Staging is cool though and will get Finland through to the final.

giphy.gif

She can sing and has a good band at the moment. I'd be disappointed though as someone like Una or LYRA would have better odds of winning.

Sample of some of Donna's recent covers...

dogcat wrote: »
    Lisbon 2020 and Reykjavik 2020 are most certainly on the cards. Just art, pure art.

Portugal's jaw mask thing looks familiar (Lady Gaga, Bad Romance):

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Iceland is angry,must have been that woeful summer they had.
    Their entry is intoxicatingly good.I hope the Harpa centre in Reykavik has the room.

It just makes me wonder,how a country with a population of just over 300,000 can churn
    out such interesting subversive,counter cultural stuff and put on a show like this.

While here in Ireland ,a country of well over 6 million people,very much more at the centre of
    Europe compared to Iceland,never seem to produce anything subversive or daring like this in
    Eurovision despite now being an uber liberal,progressive country,let alone ever produce a
    Eurovision song selection show with such high production values.
    How do RUV,a tiny state broadcaster with limited funds afford to put this show on yet RTE cant despite
    the millions they take in in ad revenue and tv license fees.
    Back in 1997 at the Eurovsion in Dublin,they again sent a very daring entry.
    One of my favourite Eurovision entries.
    I can only imagine the dreary,safe middle of the road dross we will be sending.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Icelandic entry is very strong and could well be in contention to win. I wouldn't bet against the juries liking it either. It's a real standout song and performance.

• Advertisement

dogcat wrote: »

Portugal maybe, but Iceland? Art?

I can't see juries going for it, it'll be far too divisive. It is catchy though, admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

I love Belgium this year. Really hits all the right notes in terms of my personal taste in music. I think it will be top 10 in ESC too, but I don't think it will be liked by enough people to challenge the top 5. Probably going to get my 12 though.

Iceland's entry is not to my taste but I can see it will do well, especially in the televotes. Portugal though, I don't like it at all and don't think it's a particularly strong entry.

Denmark's song is very nice.... stands out as something a bit different and refreshing. It will make the final and should finish on the left-hand side of the scoreboard.

Norway's song on the otherhand is very generic. It's not bad, but just something we have heard a million times befoe at ESC. It will qualify for the final, but it shouldn't challenge the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Iceland jolly tune ('Hate will prevail') is currently 4th fav to to win.

The anti-capitalist (Iceland btw told the bankers to _off) trio, could well be a popular choice.
    Read somewhere they may have a subtle anti-ISR on-stage protest of some sort, again more votes from the eu public.
    But minus points from the official jury if it's un-subtle.

Will certainly be adding them to an early season long mixed 4pl (1/4) e/w accumulator.

Is there a risk however that they mightn't even show up or just snub the final live performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I can't see juries going for it, it'll be far too divisive. It is catchy though, admittedly.

I can. I wouldn't assume anything about the juries, the hype and the buzz behind the song might be so big that even they can't resist it.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Oh in my opinion it absolutely is art, I'm living for the BDSM industrial vibes that this song has, furthered even more by the synthpop.

Next week's Dancing with the Stars is Eurovision Week. We might get a first live performance of our entry then.

Georgia

As unremarkable as a Eurovision entry gets. Staying in the semi-finals.

Serbia

Another bland ballad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Iceland is angry,must have been that woeful summer they had.
    Their entry is intoxicatingly good.I hope the Harpa centre in Reykavik has the room.

It just makes me wonder,how a country with a population of just over 300,000 can churn
    out such interesting subversive,counter cultural stuff and put on a show like this.

While here in Ireland ,a country of well over 6 million people,very much more at the centre of
    Europe compared to Iceland,never seem to produce anything subversive or daring like this in
    Eurovision despite now being an uber liberal,progressive country,let alone ever produce a
    Eurovision song selection show with such high production values.
    How do RUV,a tiny state broadcaster with limited funds afford to put this show on yet RTE cant despite
    the millions they take in in ad revenue and tv license fees.
    Back in 1997 at the Eurovsion in Dublin,they again sent a very daring entry.
    One of my favourite Eurovision entries.
    I can only imagine the dreary,safe middle of the road dross we will be sending.

Did you not get the memo?

Its not our fault or the bland songs that we send, its the block voting that we must blame. :mad:

Advertisement