Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

Ukraine

Um, wow :D There's a lot going on here isn't there. The presentation needs a complete overhaul, the outfits are terrible! I'm not sure the juries will go for something so sexualised, but either way this is the first song picked so far that sounds like a potential winner. Wouldn't be surprised if we had a Ukraine Vs Russia situation again.

Maruv WON'T be putting on her leggy show and teasing us in Tel Aviv. Reason: She recently performed shows in Russia and has more scheduled.

https://eurovoix.com/2019/02/25/ukraine-maruv-will-not-go-to-eurovision/

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Amik wrote: »
    Maruv WON'T be putting on her leggy show and teasing us in Tel Aviv. Reason: She recently performed shows in Russia and has more scheduled.

https://eurovoix.com/2019/02/25/ukraine-maruv-will-not-go-to-eurovision/

giphy.gif

I saw that earlier. Ridiculous. Ukraine should be disqualified for their behaviour during the national final. Really hope something can be worked out but it's not looking good. Really wanted to see Siren Song being performed in a big arena :(

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

The reasoning isn't because of the concerts. Maruv was offered a contract after she won the Ukrainian selection which outlined stuff that she needed to accomplish. One of the things was the Russian concerts, which she cancelled, so that wasn't the issue. However, the contract also said that she would be fined 2 million Ukrainian hryvnia (€65000) (every time) if she talked to the press without the broadcaster's approval, if she changed the staging or improvised on stage without the approval. As well as that, she had to pay for the entire show in Kiev herself, including accommodation, etc.

She wrote on her Instagram that she wasn't going to be used as a puppet and that's why she withdrew.

https://escxtra.com/2019/02/25/ukraine-maruv-shares-details-of-the-contract-given-by-the-broadcaster-uapbc/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Ridiculous list of demands from the Ukrainians.

I have had a listen to most of the songs now and I think Italy is my favourite so far. Very catchy.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I know Maruv has stated she'll only represent Ukraine, but can you imagine if Rté made a move for her and she agreed. Imagine her performing the Siren Song routine on the Late Late in the weeks leading up to Tel Aviv :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm fully behind Maruv for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

You'd wonder why that broad tactic hasn't been used before. Hold off on unveiling the song until the deadline day giving you plenty of time to approach the most popular artists that didn't win their NF.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Whitters22 wrote: »
    You'd wonder why that broad tactic hasn't been used before. Hold off on unveiling the song until the deadline day giving you plenty of time to approach the most popular artists that didn't win their NF.
    I vote we go with someone from Melodifestivalen!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

Whitters22 wrote: »

If someone could not win their own national final, why would they be a good choice for Eurovision?

MARUV would be amazing for Ireland as she won her NF but I'm sure RTE have picked our artist and song already and are waiting to announce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

vicwatson wrote: »
    It'll be a boycott from me this year, back at it next year, as long as Israel don't win it again.

Hope you won't be using any Israeli technology in your viewing for next years competition ;)

• Advertisement

When the draw was initially made I thought it was very bad for Ireland but as both Romania and Lithuania have, IMO, made bad choices at the NFs I think our chances of qualification are much better.

Romania's song is dire and Lithuania's song is like a better version of Nicky Byrne's Sunlight, other than Lithuanian Diaspora in Ireland, UK, Norway and neighbouring Latvia, I think it will struggle.

I wonder what the delay is with RTE announcing our Artist & Song is.

Ukraine is officially out of Eurovision 2019!

Nr0Zfjj.jpg

Yep, they tried asking both the 2nd and 3rd placed contestants from their national final and both, amongst others, refused. They knew nobody would step up after how they treated Maruv so here we are. Personally I think the EBU should ban them for a couple of years, but if Azerbaijan could still participate after rigging the vote then I wouldn't hold my breath.

Belgium released their song last night "Wake Up"

Good quality song that's perfect for radio. Verses are very good, but chorus lacks a bit of umff. With the right staging this could sneak into the Top 10.

Rumours on Twitter that Ireland's Artist is Female and will be revealed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I saw Janet Delvin mentioned here earlier. Would surprise me if it was not her now. Have no problem with her as a singer, just pray for a decent song.

correction wrote: »
    I saw Janet Delvin mentioned here earlier. Would surprise me if it was not her now. Have no problem with her as a singer, just pray for a decent song.

Her record company/management said she isn't doing it but they could be bluffing?

Possible female artists;

Janet Devlin
    Una Healy
    Samantha Mumba
    Nadine Coyle
    LYRA
    Leah McFall
    Roisin Murphy
    Roisin O
    Sinead Quinn
    Someone else....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,251 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

correction wrote: »

It's definitely not Janet, she and her management have already denied it.

A 'well known female singer' seems a plausible rumour though.

LordBasil wrote: »
    Her record company/management said she isn't doing it but they could be bluffing?

Possible female artists;

Janet Devlin
    Una Healy
    Samantha Mumba
    Nadine Coyle
    LYRA
    Leah McFall
    Roisin Murphy
    Roisin O
    Sinead Quinn
    Someone else....

Definitely can't see it being Róisín O, considering both her mother Mary and aunt Frances support boycotting it! :pac: Can't imagine Róisín Murphy ever agreeing to do it either.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Molly Sterling get another go, still think she was very unlucky in 2015 and deserved to make the final.

Fingers crossed for LYRA!

• Advertisement

Molly Sterling has a haunting new single out, if any of you haven't heard it, you should give it a listen!

Definitely can't see it being Róisín O, considering both her mother Mary and aunt Frances support boycotting it! :pac: Can't imagine Róisín Murphy ever agreeing to do it either.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Molly Sterling get another go, still think she was very unlucky in 2015 and deserved to make the final.

I didn't know Roisin O was a member of the Black Family.

Samantha Mumba has confirmed it is not her.

Its gonna be Una Healy isnt it?

I don't care who the person is as long as the song is good. It would be nice to be pleasantly surprised and if RTÉ came up with something that sounds like it could genuinely make the top 5, but I'm not holding my breath.

We've another week to wait, song and performer will be revealed Friday March 8th.

From the article:
    This is the culmination of a process which saw over 440 songs submitted to the national broadcaster RTÉ. These were whittled down to a shortlist of almost 70, which was presented to a number of different panels in early January. The selected performer(s) and/or the song may not have been among these numbers. When opening the submission window in the autumn, the TV network reserved the absolute right to approach established acts and songwriters and to select a song and/or a performer(s) at its sole discretion from outside the process.

Now what are the odds we'll still end up with someone in some way connected to Louis Walsh or RTÉ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭johnire

It seems really late to leave it until then. Has it ever been left this close to the actual contest before announcing the artist?
    We've another week to wait, song and performer will be revealed Friday March 8th.

From the article:

No what are the odds we'll still end up with someone in some way connected to Louis Walsh or RTÉ? :pac:

johnire wrote: »
    It seems really late to leave it until then. Has it ever been left this close to the actual contest before announcing the artist?

This is the longest we have had to wait for the artist name but the songs of the past 2 years were released on the Friday before the deadline.

Maybe no connection but that's International Women's Day, so maybe it's a lady? LYRA or Una, please!

Amik wrote: »
    Maybe no connection but that's International Women's Day, so maybe it's a lady? LYRA or Una, please!

As long as either has a killer song they'd be great choices. Maybe we will reveal our 8th Winner on the 8th!!!

Imagine if we won this year we would host the 65th ESC next year, incidentally Ireland debuted in 1965. Next Year will also be 50th Anniversary of our first win!!!

• Advertisement

LordBasil wrote: »
    As long as either has a killer song they'd be great choices. Maybe we will reveal our 8th Winner on the 8th!!!

Imagine if we won this year we would host the 65th ESC next year, incidentally Ireland debuted in 1965. Next Year will also be 50th Anniversary of our first win!!!

giphy.gif

Advertisement