Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

Bon Soir Dublin!

We gave douze points to Allez Leur Dire (doing surprisingly well!)

kealy.jpg

And France has selected: Bilal Hassani!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Finally got round to listening to the other two selected entries.

Spain came across a bit of a mess to me, it's all very busy on stage and the song isn't very good. I think they'll be bottom five again.

My first impression of the French song is how weak his vocal is! Very flat in places. The song itself is ok, but easily the worst song they've sent in recent years. I imagine he'll get a lot help with the vocals in Tel Aviv, but apart from that I can't see how this would trouble the top ten. A 15-20 placing for France this year I think.

Malta picked their singer last night, but when should we hear the song? And what about Israel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Finally got round to listening to the other two selected entries.

Spain came across a bit of a mess to me, it's all very busy on stage and the song isn't very good. I think they'll be bottom five again.

My first impression of the French song is how weak his vocal is! Very flat in places. The song itself is ok, but easily the worst song they've sent in recent years. I imagine he'll get a lot help with the vocals in Tel Aviv, but apart from that I can't see how this would trouble the top ten. A 15-20 placing for France this year I think.

Malta picked their singer last night, but when should we hear the song? And what about Israel?

France is gender fluid- expect a big televote

France should have used 100% international jury votes as those results were the most accurate. His performance was mega over-hyped and only made to seem better thanks to a large group of screaming fans in the audience. I'm not a fan of such artists with mediocre work but are glorified by psychofans, but that seems to be the standard in these times of social media.

Seemone won my heart yesterday and I was also impressed by my original pick Chimene Badi. Respect to Aysat too, really enjoyed her energy.

bilal-hassani-roi-eurovision-2019.jpg

• Advertisement

After their Junior Eurovision success, Poland has decided to select internally this year.

Among the artists who have confirmed submissions is Clödie. Her entry caught my ear:

Irish connection: She has a very popular rendition of Zombie...

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I listened to the UK songs and I think they're all very poor. Their worst selection for a few years.

I listened to the UK songs and I think they're all very poor. Their worst selection for a few years.

CicXPKAWgAApJsV.jpg

Czech Republic is announcing their representative now live on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ESCCzechRepublic/videos/1948825665229976/

Interesting selection approach: They've asked almost all of the Finalists from Lisbon to vote as an international jury. Our Ryan picked "Friend of a Friend".

aeZt6Vn.jpg

The Czechs are sending Lake Malawi - Friend of a Friend.

8aWfXd6.jpg

Not a bad choice! I can already imagine a fun stage performance for this.

• Advertisement

Oh I don't like that Czech song at all :o Can't see it getting anywhere near last year's result.

Oh I don't like that Czech song at all :o Can't see it getting anywhere near last year's result.

I thought it was one guy but they're actually a Trio. Look like fun guys that will get some attention in Tel Aviv.

Allocation Draw live now on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/fstf5D0uXnY

Hello You!

ZVWOoK3.png

We'll perform in 1st half of the Second Semi Final!

eDT4WeG.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

I though Suri was very good last year- came 3rd last! So why bother! No one likes the UK anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

Awful draw for Ireland! Too many likely qualifiers and Lithuania will get the UK 12 points. We don't usually qualify from Semi 2. The last time we did was in 2011 with Jedward (Lipstick) and they sang last. We had late draws last year in both SF & Final and even in 2017 when Brendan Murray was in the 1st half of SF2 he was given the latest slot possible so if we send another ballad we'll probably be thrown on in Slot 2 like poor Molly Sterling in 2015.

lbc2019 wrote: »
    I though Suri was very good last year- came 3rd last! So why bother! No one likes the UK anymore

Suri had a nice song, but at the end of the day it was prety bland and forgettable. Maybe 3rd last was harsh, but it was a mid table song at the very most.
    LordBasil wrote: »
    Awful draw for Ireland! Too many likely qualifiers and Lithuania will get the UK 12 points. We don't usually qualify from Semi 2. The last time we did was in 2011 with Jedward (Lipstick) and they sang last. We had late draws last year in both SF & Final and even in 2017 when Brendan Murray was in the 1st half of SF2 he was given the latest slot possible so if we send another ballad we'll probably be thrown on in Slot 2 like poor Molly Sterling in 2015.

Well then, we can get the 10 :) I don't think the draw is that bad, Sweden and Russia are (probably) the only two certain qualifiers. Although it is heavy in former Soviet Union countries, and there's three Scandinavian countries there too. At the end of the day, if our song is good enough it'll qualify.

At the end of the day, if our song is good enough it'll qualify.

Exactly! It should be the most enjoyable semi to watch. I always enjoy what Lithuania and Latvia send.

Austria is sending Pænda with the song Limits.

Song not released yet but her other works combine electronic music, future bass, dubstep, hip-hop and even trap music.

A-6320220-1519244266-5997.jpeg.jpg

Love the hair!

Ohhhh! Big one here: Finland are taking the club dance music route this year with their pick Darude!!
    Darude will release three songs that will compete in the national selection of the UMK, to be released worldwide on the 8th, 15th and 22nd February. The one track that will finally represent Finland in May, will be decided by a combination of public vote and international jury points via a live TV broadcast on the 2nd of March.

I'm sure everyone has turned up this song of his while stuck in traffic:

Seems interesting, although I fear it's going to sound very dated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Definitely interesting choice by Finland. Hopefully it doesn't end up like the time Germany had Cascada and she came, I think 5th or 6th from the bottom. It just didn't work.

Pang wrote: »
    Definitely interesting choice by Finland. Hopefully it doesn't end up like the time Germany had Cascada and she came, I think 5th or 6th from the bottom. It just didn't work.

Forgot about that! Cascada at least sang. What will Darude do? A snake dance like Poland's Gromee last year?

tumblr_p8j3c1BtJb1rs6duko1_500.gif

Well then, we can get the 10 :) I don't think the draw is that bad, Sweden and Russia are (probably) the only two certain qualifiers. Although it is heavy in former Soviet Union countries, and there's three Scandinavian countries there too. At the end of the day, if our song is good enough it'll qualify.[/QUOTE]

Ah yeah, of course it will be down to Ireland's song, staging and performer but we are going to be up against it;

Russia, Azerbaijan & Romania all lost their 100% qualification records last year so will go all out to qualify again. (Armenia are also usual qualifiers and shouldn't be overlooked)

Austria has had a strong record the last 5 years.

The Nordic Block (Sweden, Norway, Denmark) are nearly always strong contenders.

Lithuania will receive high marks from Televote in UK, Norway, Latvia and here.

Malta and The Netherlands are sending promising artists.....

Speaking of Ireland's entry we haven't heard any confirmed news yet so I'm intrigued to see who RTE pick. Even if we don't hear the song until March the Artist's history could be very telling about our chances. Whenever we send established Artists we always qualify (Brian Kennedy, Niamh Kavanagh 2010, Jedward and Ryan O'Shaughnessy). I know the likes of Kasey Smith, Nicky Byrne and Brendan Murray had been in pop groups previously but they weren't established soloists.

Last year's winner Netta just released a new song titled "Bassa Sabada".

Fantastic song AND video. She's a deserving winner that brought something fresh and new to the Eurovision stage.

NToAuCi.png

Organizers close to signing Madonna to perform at the Grand Final.

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5447859,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 72,251 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

'Royaume Uni' select their entry live this Friday night!

Ah, what's the point? :D

Friday 7.30pm BBC2
    Eurovision: You Decide

Live from MediaCityUK in Salford, Eurovision uberfan Mel Giedroyc and 2015 winner Mans Zelmerlow introduce the contenders hoping to represent the UK in Tel Aviv, Israel at the event's 64th staging. In an exciting format change, each of the three competing songs will be performed in two different ways, by two different acts. A celebrity panel and viewers at home will make the decision on which song ultimately represents the UK. The show also features special performances and various surprises.

Festival della Canzone Italiana di Sanremo (the contest that Italy traditionally uses to pick their representative AND Eurovision itself is based on) started last night. Fantastic line-up again this year.

This song by Nek caught my ear:

Here is the classifcation after the first night. The artists are divided into 3 groups: blue (top), yellow (middle), red (bottom).

https://twitter.com/SanremoRai/status/1092940912693526533

Oh Italy, stop that! :P

https://twitter.com/RaiPlay/status/1093072304429563904

All but confirmed that Sergey Lazarev will be competing for Russia. If his song/staging is strong and he can score better with the juries than he did in 2016 it looks like we could be heading to Moscow in 2020.

https://wiwibloggs.com/2019/02/05/sergey-lazarev-eurovision-speculation-reaches-fever-pitch-following-tv-listings-gaffe/232634/

If that's true it's going to take something truly spectacular to stop him.

LordBasil wrote: »
    If that's true it's going to take something truly spectacular to stop him.

2016 was a great Eurovision! Szpak, Amir, Poli, Dami Im and, of course, Sergey with that voice and staging!

Here he during December 2018. Still has it!

Moscow 2020 is a strong possibility *checks hotels online*

• Advertisement

Happy Chinese New Year to all the Boardsies here!

This popped up on my YouTube feed yesterday. Looks like a Chinese TV talent show like The Voice. It's Bulgaria's 2017 entry Kristian Kostov.

Bulgaria deserves a win!

Advertisement