Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

So Extra.ie are claiming that it's Janet Devlin who is the Irish representative.

Article link: https://extra.ie/2019/03/05/entertainment/entertainment-news/is-janet-devlin-in-eurovision

However, Padraig Muldoon, a prominent contributor to wiwibloggs seems to be suggesting that the latest news that's doing the round (I think he is referring to the Extra.ie article) is fake news.

Well who knows, and we don't have long to wait now anyway. I'd love it to be Janet though, she has a beautiful voice and presence and with a great song, she would be perfect.
    She seems to have already ruled herself out though but with all the plot twists and endless theories surrounding the Irish entry this year, best bet is just to wait it out until Friday for any definite news.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hmm, that Extra article seems seems very sure. I mean they're not suggesting it may be her, they're stating it as a fact, so they'll look pretty stupid if it's not her. I'd be delighted if it actually was though, with the right song she could be great.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Cyprus

A lot of people saying it's basically Fuego 2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

Cyprus

A lot of people saying it's basically Fuego 2.0.

Does RyanAir fly to Cyprus? I really need to visit some time. :P

giphy.gif

It's Fuego 2.0 Service Pack 1 but not bad. She could get revenge for Eleni.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

According to Goss.ie it is NOT Janet Devlin

I don't know WTF is going on. It better be someone good and different from what RTÉ normally sends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

LordBasil wrote: »
    According to Goss.ie it is NOT Janet Devlin

I don't know WTF is going on. It better be someone good and different from what RTÉ normally sends.
    Una Healy.....looks more and more like it to me.

I am still hoping for LYRA, but doubt RTE would have the foresight to go for someone like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Would be great to hear the song for the first time and legitimately think we've sent something really good. Hasn't been that way in years, a couple of songs grew on me but you still knew they hadn't a chance of doing anything.

I'll be really disappointed if it's another 4/10 generic pop song like that Nicky Byrne one.

gmisk wrote: »
    Una Healy.....looks more and more like it to me.

I am still hoping for LYRA, but doubt RTE would have the foresight to go for someone like that.

Yeah it could be a big name Una is most likely. I just can't wait til Friday so all this speculation can end, at least until next year..

correction wrote: »
    Would be great to hear the song for the first time and legitimately think we've sent something really good. Hasn't been that way in years, a couple of songs grew on me but you still knew they hadn't a chance of doing anything.

I'll be really disappointed if it's another 4/10 generic pop song like that Nicky Byrne one.
    If its Una Healy...tbh thats what we are likely to get...with a country edge....unlike Nicky Byrne she can at least sing.

San Marino

Switzerland

Both Great Bops. 2019 the year of the Underdogs.

• Advertisement

Swiss one is blocked for me....

The San Marino one...er that could actually make the final!

Swiss one is blocked for me....

The San Marino one...er that could actually make the final!

That Swiss video seems to have been taken down. The official video will be released at 4 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

I don’t get why counties don’t try music genres that were invented or popularized in that country. a lot of the stuff especially the ballads sounds awfully alike, Ireland for example is well know for folk music and there are some celtic folk metal bands from Ireland that are huge in Eastern Europe (primordial and Cruachan specifically) i honestly imagine they’d be a great shout, they have the novelty factor Lordi did and have some genuine popularity in regions Ireland don’t actually pick up many points from.

I don’t get why counties don’t try music genres that were invented or popularized in that country. a lot of the stuff especially the ballads sounds awfully alike, Ireland for example is well know for folk music and there are some celtic folk metal bands from Ireland that are huge in Eastern Europe (primordial and Cruachan specifically) i honestly imagine they’d be a great shout, they have the novelty factor Lordi did and have some genuine popularity in regions Ireland don’t actually pick up many points from.
    Thats a nice idea, but the last time Ireland kind of went with something like that (Dervish) it was a bloody disaster.

Also I am not sure they actually let you play instruments live on stage? I could be wrong....

Thats a nice idea, but the last time Ireland kind of went with something like that (Dervish) it was a bloody disaster.

Also I am not sure they actually let you play instruments live on stage? I could be wrong....

You're right, live instruments are no longer allowed because it can take too long to set them up and Eurovision is now so tightly scheduled they can't take any risks. Any instrument playing on stage is just for show. I do miss the Orchestra.

You're right, live instruments are no longer allowed because it can take too long to set them up and Eurovision is now so tightly scheduled they can't take any risks. Any instrument playing on stage is just for show. I do miss the Orchestra.
    Its a pity isnt it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Lithuania is my Douze points currently - and they always do well from Ireland

Official Video of Switzerland

Official Video of Switzerland

That is catchy as hell.....bit of a shawn mendes vibe, er and a dose of Fuego too....that could do well!

That is catchy as hell.....bit of a shawn mendes vibe, er and a dose of Fuego too....that could do well!

He's already Top 10 in the odds and climbing.

I wonder what the reaction to Ireland will be tomorrow. Janet Devlin has confirmed on Youtube that she is NOT doing it.

• Advertisement

I seem to like songs with storm in the title! Estonia my Dix points

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Let's start the next rumour.... Nadine Coyle?

Forgot to post Greece on the thread.

I think this is quite decent, should be interesting to see how it's staged.

San Marino isn't horrible, but I'd imagine it's staying in the semi-final.

Switzerland is generic as hell but is currently one of the only lively song in semi 2. I think this is a song that could be staged brilliantly. Switzerland are a country that are long overdue a good result, last got top ten in 2005 and top five in 1993 :eek: Sebalter deserved better than 13th in 2014 but the juries screwed him over.

The Netherlands

Now this is more like it! Definitely sounds like top five material in the final. Current 2nd favourite to win!

Belarus

Generic europop ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    She's only 16 though, so fair play to her.

Entries coming hard and fast now with Austria, Poland, Macedonia, Azerbaijan and of course Ireland set to reveal later today.

Latest rumour for Ireland is that it's Sarah McTernan, seems some stuff was posted about her and then deleted.

https://twitter.com/evanmcauliffe/status/1103800577522388992

She also posted this on her Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/But8JQUFjSq/

So it's looking like it could be her. Not long till we find out I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Yeah it's confirmed. I can't remember her at all

https://eurovision.tv/story/sarah-mcternan-22-ireland-2019

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Yeah it's confirmed. I can't remember her at all

https://eurovision.tv/story/sarah-mcternan-22-ireland-2019
    Genuinely no idea who this is..
    She tried for San Marino last year...and didn't make live shows...
    Third in the voice of ireland in 2015 doesn't exactly scream winner...any sign of a song?!?
    All I can see is 9am on Ryan tubridy

• Registered Users Posts: 72,264 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Sarah McTernan’s song ‘22’ about to be played on Will Leahy’s show on RTE Gold.

So this is the song..
    https://youtu.be/RLF2CfiSAFU

Maybe it's a grower....to me that is pretty awful, like a bad Taylor Swift b side.

In contrast to the Netherlands song it just sounds so dated....that one sounds like a winner to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,264 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Welsh Megaman’s Judge It On One Listen Pop-tastic Verdict...

Neat little funky bass intro borrowed from The Animals ‘We Gotta Get Outta This Place’!

Guitar bit borrowed from Duran Duran’s ‘Ordinary World’!

Bouncy!

Frothy!

You can eat your ice-cream to it!

6 out of 10.

Advertisement