Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corona Virus and events

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Connemarathon new entries for April no longer being accepted. Only a matter of time unfortunately. Can't see how anyone thinks it will be going ahead in just over three months from now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Looking at this projections post in the vaccine thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115896922&postcount=4191 , I reckon there should be no issues with events in the second half of the year. First half could easily be a write off with the new variants spreading like wildfire though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Connemarathon new entries for April no longer being accepted. Only a matter of time unfortunately. Can't see how anyone thinks it will be going ahead in just over three months from now.

it was cancelled a few weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ultrapercy wrote: »
    it was cancelled a few weeks ago

I posted in this thread on the 2nd January asking for opinions on whether it would go ahead, at that time its Facebook page was very explicit that the event was still on. If it was cancelled weeks ago they should be more clear about it, and even now new entries are only suspended, it still hasn't been announced as cancelled.

Unsurprisingly I had decided not to continue training for it anyway, just too much uncertainty, even before people pointed out the issue with getting to the start line.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Stark wrote: »
    Looking at this projections post in the vaccine thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115896922&postcount=4191 , I reckon there should be no issues with events in the second half of the year. First half could easily be a write off with the new variants spreading like wildfire though.

I would expect Q4 at best...maybe some very small 5k/10k events in Q3. Outdoor track and field will probably be able to proceed virtually as normal.
    I'd be surprised if DCM went ahead with 20k participants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,065 ✭✭✭✭event

Especially considering they will probably have to make the call about it in June

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

event wrote: »
    Especially considering they will probably have to make the call about it in June

For the big autumn events having to make the call in June makes things tricky for them. I'm currently confident that small events with a few hundred participants which can move relatively quickly with getting things setup would be OK in June time.

But the multiple thousands size events need those few hundred people events to have passed off without incident and wait a few weeks before they can make the call.

Of course if sports stadiums are full again by June then things are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FinnC

I would expect Q4 at best...maybe some very small 5k/10k events in Q3. Outdoor track and field will probably be able to proceed virtually as normal.
    I'd be surprised if DCM went ahead with 20k participants.

Be interesting to see how they decide who does and doesn’t get in if they reduce the field. I doubt many cancelled last year, I’m sure most just held onto their entry.
    I agree btw, I’d be shocked if DCM goes ahead with 20k+ people. Unless they postpone it until Jan/Feb 2022 or something. Those extra couple of months could make all the difference.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm more confident that London would go ahead than Dublin, but that is purely based on London can afford the money needed to gamble on delaying a cancellation for longer on the chance that it is actually OK to go ahead in October. They also have more space available at the start and finish to be able to do minor tweaks needed to allow for better social distancing which whatever happens will still be needed. Even if we are all vaccinated by then people are not instantly going to revert to standing so close together in the queues for the portaloos or to collect their medals and more space will be needed just for that. Just people standing an extra few 10's of centimetres apart in the queues and not the current 2m distancing and the length of the queue would double.

Dublin would struggle I think with their limited space, even with covid gone by October, as people will still be keeping apart...even if they do still climb all over each other in the start pens for the last 10 minutes before the gun goes off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Surely if the vaccination program is on target and progressing by mid May or early June when DCM need to make a call they will go ahead any plan for it to go ahead?
    I can't see how the general population will accept not being able to attend concerts/events/sporting arena when they have done what was asked and taken the vaccine?

This talk of people continuing to wear masks post herd immunity vaccine rollout doesn't sit well, it should be shot down now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

This talk of people continuing to wear masks post herd immunity vaccine rollout doesn't sit well, it should be shot down now.

If it gives those people peace of mind let them at it. Nobody is causing anyone else any harm by wearing a mask.

Regardless of if the entire world is vaccinated tomorrow, I am hoping that I can wear a mask in public this summer to cut down on issues with pollen without it looking wierd. Next year I'll have to be back to hoping the other drugs work, but it was one of the few good things last year not suffering so much with the hay-fever.

It will take time for mask wearing and social distancing to disappear, but it will. We may find a new distance that people are comfortable with standing next to each other, but there were differences between different countries before this as to what was considered appropriate personal space socially. Might not be too much of a change for us, but can think of some other European countries where they may not be standing as close as they used to for a while.

Will take time for us all to find a new level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Surely if the vaccination program is on target and progressing by mid May or early June when DCM need to make a call they will go ahead any plan for it to go ahead?
    I can't see how the general population will accept not being able to attend concerts/events/sporting arena when they have done what was asked and taken the vaccine?

It won't be DCM's call if they will go ahead.
    I expect they have developed several scenarios based on event size and expected vaccine rollout/immunity, but the ultimate decision will be the relevant authorities to approve that and I expect they have other priorities top of mind currently.
    I'm sure each scenario also has a decision by XX date milestone that if it crosses there would not be enough time to plan a quality event, which in reality will require additional work this year if it's to include stricter controls around the movement of people, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

OOnegative wrote: »
    If it gives those people peace of mind let them at it. Nobody is causing anyone else any harm by wearing a mask.

Wearing a mask is like people wearing a hat indoors.

Doesn't see the norm, but if it makes them happy causing no harm to anyone, then let it be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭The Davestator

DCM could do staggered starts from 6 am to 12 noon maybe?

Lots of logistics and would reduce the feel a bit, but if a wave went off every hour, and Merrion park and Stephen's green were opened to cater for people waiting, it might work.

6 am elites and Wheelchairs
    7 am sub 3
    8 am sub 3.30
    9 am sub 4
    10 am sub 5
    11 am sub 6
    12 noon everyone else with the course closing at 7 pm

Faster off first so no issues with overtaking

• Advertisement

Lots of logistics and would reduce the feel a bit, but if a wave went off every hour, and Merrion park and Stephen's green were opened to cater for people waiting, it might work.

7 am sub 3
    8 am sub 3.30
    9 am sub 4
    10 am sub 5
    11 am sub 6

Closing the roads for 13 hours? No chance.

Closing the roads for 13 hours? No chance.

Intermittent rolling road closures then!

You've also got the elites finishing before even the 3:30 people start with that schedule so would need tweaking a fair bit as the finish is essentially in the same place as the start.

Even pessimistic estimates suggest everyone who wants a vaccine will have it by late October. Really don't see the point in those measures if everyone is vaccinated (and screw the anti-vaxxers, let them get covid if they want to). Back to the good old days of inhaling toxic sweat from each other's armpits in the start boxes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Wearing a mask is like people wearing a hat indoors.

Doesn't see the norm, but if it makes them happy causing no harm to anyone, then let it be

Not so. My son was travelling with me in my work van for 45 minutes the day before I tested positive. He never got corvid.

I had the same opinion as you that day but have since revised it.

• Advertisement

There will come a day when they have to give the country back to the people and let them live.
    Within reason this should be when anyone that wants and needs the vaccine is given it and not a day later.

The failure of the Govt and HSE to give people back their freedoms in a prompt fashion would be remembered, the Gardai know people are tired now, they are showing their sense of the mood of the people by their restraint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

There will come a day when they have to give the country back to the people and let them live.
    Within reason this should be when anyone that wants and needs the vaccine is given it and not a day later.

The failure of the Govt and HSE to give people back their freedoms in a prompt fashion would be remembered, the Gardai know people are tired now, they are showing their sense of the mood of the people by their restraint.

:rolleyes:

Murph_D wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

So you are happy to be subservient to Dr Tony for as long as he says so?
    Health minister not very forthcoming with timelines for herd immunity, no rush says you?

So you are happy to be subservient to Dr Tony for as long as he says so?
    Health minister not very forthcoming with timelines for herd immunity, no rush says you?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I’ve said it before:

It’s hard to overestimate the optimism of the amateur epidemiologist.

I’ve said it before:

Speak for yourself, some us have good health and long lives ahead of us, I suppose older folks like yourself like to be lead for fear of the unknown.

I prefer to see the world through the eyes of my young kids, life is for living, the sooner the better.
    You are on the way down the far side, careful now you don't catch a cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

7 am sub 3
    8 am sub 3.30
    9 am sub 4
    10 am sub 5
    11 am sub 6

Jaysus, the organisers will have earned their post event socially distanced pints!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Speak for yourself, some us have good health and long lives ahead of us, I suppose older folks like yourself like to be lead for fear of the unknown.

I prefer to see the world through the eyes of my young kids, life is for living, the sooner the better.

Oh will you stop embarrassing yourself. Two months ago you were banging on about unnecessary lock downs yet a slight easing of lockdowns over Christmas has led to many who think like you costing hundreds their lives and driving the health service to the brink. All brought about by people wanting to live life at a time when its cretinous to do so.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Oh will you stop embarrassing yourself. Two months ago you were banging on about unnecessary lock downs yet a slight easing of lockdowns over Christmas has led to many who think like you costing hundreds their lives and driving the health service to the brink. All brought about by people wanting to live life at a time when its cretinous to do so.

People die everyday, most from preventable causes, the world turns.
    Any idea what happened to the winter flu numbers in Ireland this past few months?

You do realise as many died from flu last winter as will die from Covid this winter? Does that mean we should lockdown every winter from now on?

ger664 wrote: »
    Not so. My son was travelling with me in my work van for 45 minutes the day before I tested positive. He never got corvid.

Have heard of some families where all but one of the household get it, or couples still sharing a bed and the other doesn't get it (literally testing negative), some people obvsiously have a natural immunity to it.

• Advertisement

People die everyday, most from preventable causes, the world turns.
    Any idea what happened to the winter flu numbers in Ireland this past few months?

You do realise as many died from flu last winter as will die from Covid this winter? Does that mean we should lockdown every winter from now on?

Yes, the flu numbers reduced hugely thanks to it being significantly less transmissible than Covid and to the social distancing, sanitising, mask wearing among other measures.

Your second question is ignorant of so many facts that I wouldn't waste my breath trying to explain simple facts or comparisons to you.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Yes, the flu numbers reduced hugely thanks to it being significantly less transmissible than Covid and to the social distancing, sanitising, mask wearing among other measures.

Your second question is ignorant of so many facts that I wouldn't waste my breath trying to explain simple facts or comparisons to you.

And increased uptake of the flu vaccine + people having the ****ing cop on to stay at home when they're feeling sick and possibly not getting tested. I had what I'm 99.9% sure was flu last February, I wasn't 'tested' for it so wouldn't be in the numbers for 2020.

Anyway, this crap is off topic really so lets get back to discussing the probability of events going ahead.

Anyway, this crap is off topic really so lets get back to discussing the probability of events going ahead.

Yeah sorry. I couldn't let the personal nature of the reply to Murph_D go without comment....

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dubhurler4

I wonder will Cork Marathon go ahead at the start of June?

Dubhurler4 wrote: »

I would say highly unlikely to definitely not....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Dont think we will have large scale races in Ireland until the GAA is back to near full capacity at games.

My entry for Madrid 2020 was deffered until Spring 2022 last August and I expect the same for other countries.

I would like to think Valencia or San Sebastian go ahead in November this year but the numbers and international travelers may be limited or not allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I’ve said it before:

now dat is good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

I'm hoping to enter it and I'm thinking it won't be on.

I've a race rescheduled from last year to March and I'm waiting for them to decide whether to reschedule again or just refund people their money - can't see it going ahead atall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,065 ✭✭✭✭event

7 am sub 3
    8 am sub 3.30
    9 am sub 4
    10 am sub 5
    11 am sub 6

Id say the problem is moreso all the spectators on the streets

Have you had COVID?

I have. I am a healthy 39 year old, running for last 10 years. Have done about 9 marathons, 12 half marathons, have done charity cycling events of 200k, have done duathlons in the mountains, in May I did the 4/4/48 challenge (4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours). I still play football and would be considered pretty healthy and fit.

Ever since COVID I struggle to run 3 miles and I am tired by about 20:00 each day.

So dont be putting up rubbish like "its a cold". Its far from it.

• Advertisement

Just saw on Facebook that an guy in his 40s in Waterford Orienteering Club has died from it :(

ger664 wrote: »

Oh i never said mask weren't effective. Just saying if people feel the need to wear them next year, that is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Even pessimistic estimates suggest everyone who wants a vaccine will have it by late October. Really don't see the point in those measures if everyone is vaccinated (and screw the anti-vaxxers, let them get covid if they want to). Back to the good old days of inhaling toxic sweat from each other's armpits in the start boxes :pac:

I wouldn't be to sure about that time line of October tbh.
    At the moment 35,000 doses of vaccine was administered last week. If they up to 50,000 per week x 52 weeks = 2,6 million doses, Now if all of these were the Pfizer vaccine then you would need to divide x 2 which would give you 1,3 million people vaccinated in 12 months, so just over 25% of the population, and certainly a long way from 70 or 80% they say is need. As of now it's not known if the vaccine prevents transmission, so even people who have got the vaccine still need to wear a mask and social distance.

We'll move significantly more quickly than 50,000 a week once we enter Q2. 250,000 a week is very likely, quite possibly more. Now that's dependent on the likes of Astrazenaca getting approved of course, but things are looking promising there.

Donnelly's saying end of September to have 80% of people vaccinated and that's based on cautious guesses of what vaccines will be approved afaik.

Ceepo wrote: »
    I wouldn't be to sure about that time line of October tbh.
    At the moment 35,000 doses of vaccine was administered last week. If they up to 50,000 per week x 52 weeks = 2,6 million doses, Now if all of these were the Pfizer vaccine then you would need to divide x 2 which would give you 1,3 million people vaccinated in 12 months, so just over 25% of the population, and certainly a long way from 70 or 80% they say is need. As of now it's not known if the vaccine prevents transmission, so even people who have got the vaccine still need to wear a mask and social distance.

I won't be wearing a mask forever to ensure anti-vaxxers don't get it! If everyone who wants the vaccine gets it, its back to normal for us

And it looks likely that the vaccine will reduce transmission rates according to Pfizer yesterday.

You only need to vaccinate 25% of the population though in order to reduce the incidence of sever cases by 85-90%. Whilst the virus will still be in circulation at that point, the numbers getting badly ill will be relatively negligible and the hospitals can then cope with the numbers.

Then more focus can be put on treatment rather than worry about health systems collapsing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Unlikely I'd say, guess my entry from last year will just roll over again. Haven't quite given up on DCM just yet though.
    Just saw on Facebook that an guy in his 40s in Waterford Orienteering Club has died from it :(

Sorry to hear that, RIP. It's easy to forget sometimes when we've been bombarded with CV-19 stats every single day for getting close to a year now that there's a real person with family, friends etc behind every single one of those deaths reported :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

We'll move significantly more quickly than 50,000 a week once we enter Q2. 250,000 a week is very likely, quite possibly more. Now that's dependent on the likes of Astrazenaca getting approved of course, but things are looking promising there.

Donnelly's saying end of September to have 80% of people vaccinated and that's based on cautious guesses of what vaccines will be approved afaik.

It will be interesting to see if they can manage to get up to 250.,000 logistically.

Ceepo wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if they can manage to get up to 250.,000 logistically.

If they go with the Oxford one, they should manage it. Same way they managed the flu vaccine for the kids and OAP over a two month period.

Let's hope and be positive here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

As of Jan 23rd Connemara is cancelled.
    With 12 weeks to go to the 18th April there is too much uncertainty and too many restrictions that would have to be lifted for us to plan for the event to safely take place and for participants to fully commit to training plans, so we are disappointed to announce that the Connemarathon can not take place in 2021 due to the ongoing Covid situation worldwide.

All entries will be automatically transferred to 24th April 2022. However, there will also be a virtual option for those of you who want to continue with your training and focus on a target for this April (register by 15th March). You will also be able to transfer your entry to 2023 or 2024.

Just entered myself a marathon for what under normal circumstances would have been London Marathon weekend in April. It's a repeat of the last minute cobbled together event that one of the local race organisers setup on last years October virtual London Marathon day, so 10 second delay between starters, fastest goes first, 5 mile laps... but a certified course so would count for GFA if needed.

Not confident that I'd definitely be able to get the GFA time in a potential real London in October, so this is the first of my backup attempts at claiming a time for a 2022 entry

• Advertisement
Advertisement