Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A race in the USA for 2021 was cancelled yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

101798756_10158307313090751_6734067206079905792_o.png?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=2d5d41&_nc_ohc=NEAAZ5dNESAAX8xL4B2&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=baaaf61bf2dcf41dd899d7822d1a00a8&oe=5EFEFF34

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

There'll be no dodgy team times in that one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    There'll be no dodgy team times in that one

Plenty of medals and tee shirts sold though. #theeconomystupid

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Dingle marathon rescheduled to next year. https://www.facebook.com/dinglemarathon
    No refund mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

A race in the USA for 2021 was cancelled yesterday
    FFS :( They're jumping the gun a bit! Do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,957 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I guess if it's something they have to start planning for now, then it's probably not worth the hassle for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

FFS :( They're jumping the gun a bit! Do you have a link?

Who knows - the organiser could have gone bankrupt.

Wonder how will the ease in lockdown affect races for Aug/Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Not all doom and gloom....

Dublin Athletics Graded Track and Field Programme 2020
    Owing to the ongoing Pandemic Lockdown we have cancelled Meetings 3,4 and 5. This brings us to the end of June. We are hopeful that the lockdown will be sufficiently eased and allow meeting to take place during July and August. We will publish further as the situation develops. We very much regret being compelled to take these actions. We wish all athletes good health and plenty of training.

https://www.dublinathletics.com/

I think Athletics Ireland have said there's no national competition until August at the earliest (probably September for seniors + masters) but Dublin Athletics seem keen to get at least 1 or 2 graded meetings in before the end of the summer.

If there are no setbacks between now and the end of the month (and that's a big 'if'), I guess there's a chance Meetings 6 (Irishtown - July 8th), 7 (Morton - July 22nd) and 8 (Tallaght - August 5th) could take place. Which would give you a chance at an 800m, 1500m, mile and 2 x 3000m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Email from Paris Marathon :

"After a long few months in lockdown, we sincerely hope that all is well with you and those close to you and that you’ve been able to begin readjusting to normality. With a bit of luck, you will have been able to do some sort of physical activity each week during the lockdown. We don’t know about you but we can’t wait for everything to go back to normal so we can put our fruits of our training to the test in a timed course.

As you know, the COVID-19 public health crisis has profoundly impacted sport, on an amateur and professional level. A.S.O. hasn’t been able to organise a public event since the beginning of March. Within this context, on the 7th May, the French Council of Ministers voted for a resolution detailing how we can respond to questions concerning the cancellation of our events. It means that up until the 15th September 2020, we are able to offer you a voucher for a similar event that will be valid for 18 months instead of an immediate refund.

This means that following the cancellation of the Schneider Electric Marathon de Paris on the initial date of 5th April, you will benefit from a voucher with a value equivalent to what you spent on the bib and additional options. You can use this voucher to sign up for more A.S.O. events over a period of 18 months, after which, any unspent funds on the voucher will be refunded to you.

We are currently working very hard to put these vouchers in place for the large number of riders/runners who had been preparing for our events over the last few months. In mid-July, you’ll receive an email specifying the value of your voucher and the practical information on how to claim etc. We regret any inconvenience caused by this exceptional situation and we thank you for your understanding."

About as clear as mud... but I think it is still not yet cancelled for Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

6run28 wrote: »
    Email from Paris Marathon :

"After a long few months in lockdown, we sincerely hope that all is well with you and those close to you and that you’ve been able to begin readjusting to normality. With a bit of luck, you will have been able to do some sort of physical activity each week during the lockdown. We don’t know about you but we can’t wait for everything to go back to normal so we can put our fruits of our training to the test in a timed course.

As you know, the COVID-19 public health crisis has profoundly impacted sport, on an amateur and professional level. A.S.O. hasn’t been able to organise a public event since the beginning of March. Within this context, on the 7th May, the French Council of Ministers voted for a resolution detailing how we can respond to questions concerning the cancellation of our events. It means that up until the 15th September 2020, we are able to offer you a voucher for a similar event that will be valid for 18 months instead of an immediate refund.

This means that following the cancellation of the Schneider Electric Marathon de Paris on the initial date of 5th April, you will benefit from a voucher with a value equivalent to what you spent on the bib and additional options. You can use this voucher to sign up for more A.S.O. events over a period of 18 months, after which, any unspent funds on the voucher will be refunded to you.

We are currently working very hard to put these vouchers in place for the large number of riders/runners who had been preparing for our events over the last few months. In mid-July, you’ll receive an email specifying the value of your voucher and the practical information on how to claim etc. We regret any inconvenience caused by this exceptional situation and we thank you for your understanding."

About as clear as mud... but I think it is still not yet cancelled for Oct

So....If you cannot run in any of the ASO events can you claim the full value of the voucher after 18 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Sacksian wrote: »
    Not all doom and gloom....

Dublin Athletics Graded Track and Field Programme 2020

https://www.dublinathletics.com/

I think Athletics Ireland have said there's no national competition until August at the earliest (probably September for seniors + masters) but Dublin Athletics seem keen to get at least 1 or 2 graded meetings in before the end of the summer.

If there are no setbacks between now and the end of the month (and that's a big 'if'), I guess there's a chance Meetings 6 (Irishtown - July 8th), 7 (Morton - July 22nd) and 8 (Tallaght - August 5th) could take place. Which would give you a chance at an 800m, 1500m, mile and 2 x 3000m.

Zero joined up thinking. AAI are planning their season for August with Nationals in September, yet Dublin Athletics are still ploughing on with the original schedule, and will have all meets done before AAI fixtures even start, rather than push back their dates and hold more meets as a result.

Anyone doing the Dublin triathlon?

Will that go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Saw that the lough ness marathon in scotland is still going ahead in October. Looks like a nice event, might consider it for next year.

Entries still open too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Ceepo wrote: »
    Clonmel AC Boston scientific half marathon is also cancelled.

I did hear that Charvelle half was still going ahead but I'm not 100% on that information

Heard from a friend at the weekend that Charleville was indeed going ahead mid-Sept but with a 2 hour cut-off. I'm entered anyway so fingers crossed. Hopefully after the last few months that time will still be possible :o

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

opus wrote: »
    Heard from a friend at the weekend that Charleville was indeed going ahead mid-Sept but with a 2 hour cut-off. I'm entered anyway so fingers crossed. Hopefully after the last few months that time will still be possible :o

20 waves with 50 in each way and social distance be kept from what I read. Should be fun at the pointy end of the field. Runner x getting headstart of y.

Can't have pacers either be my guess as they act like flies around .... for people hitting their times

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    20 waves with 50 in each way and social distance be kept from what I read. Should be fun at the pointy end of the field. Runner x getting headstart of y.

Can't have pacers either be my guess as they act like flies around .... for people hitting their times

A pacing group will just form itself, so might as well have pacers.
    Remember my first year doing Dublin, there were no pacers yet there was a massive group running together for sub 4.

Charleville roads quiet narrow after 11k to 15k, so social distancing be gone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

The rescheduled Connemara marathon in September has been cancelled. Gutted. They’re offering a virtual option combined with discount on entering for 2021.
    Despite the disappointment, it’s hard to argue with the whole thing being shelved. As they said, maybe by September, it could be that it could have gone ahead, but financially, it’d be too late to kick the can down the road.
    I wonder will any marathon be viable this autumn.

The rescheduled Connemara marathon in September has been cancelled. Gutted. They’re offering a virtual option combined with discount on entering for 2021.
    Despite the disappointment, it’s hard to argue with the whole thing being shelved. As they said, maybe by September, it could be that it could have gone ahead, but financially, it’d be too late to kick the can down the road.
    I wonder will any marathon be viable this autumn.

It all depends on who is brave enough to jump first once the green light is given.
    Plus you have an acceptance across the country that mass participation events such as ploughing/music festivals/concerts/shows are bottom of the list in terms of priorities, until this changes or everything else has opened up without any breakouts then there won't be any lobbying for these events to happen.

Imagine if Jim Aughney held off and got the ok in Sept for Dublin, then the marathon goes ahead successfully but a week later there is a small cluster that leads to a breakout....
    The running community would be thrown under the bus and it would take a long time to recover from public outcry.

My thinking is December for running events, if the All Ireland in Hurling/Football gets run off with spectators present and there is no jump in cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

My thinking is December for running events,

I agree for the mass participation events.

The model being used by Pop Up Raes and Charleville model is a good one that could enable 'racing' to occur in limited numbers.

Right now, we can 'train' in groups of 15 - so you could in theory allow waves of 15 people every 30-60secs.
    I expect this 15 number to increase - which may allow Charleville to go ahead with 1000 people.

The model being used by Pop Up Raes and Charleville model is a good one that could enable 'racing' to occur in limited numbers.

Right now, we can 'train' in groups of 15 - so you could in theory allow waves of 15 people every 30-60secs.
    I expect this 15 number to increase - which may allow Charleville to go ahead with 1000 people.

I'd love to see it.
    I'd be happy to take part in wave start events where possible, suppose it will give a lot of local races some wiggle room as there are many with under 200 participants.
    No matter how long a wave start event takes once chips are used everyone still gets a time.

Had our first track session last night. About 10 of us turned up. It was a great feeling to be back on the track

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Right now, we can 'train' in groups of 15 - so you could in theory allow waves of 15 people every 30-60secs. I expect this 15 number to increase - which may allow Charleville to go ahead with 1000 people.

I'm not so sure about Charleville going ahead if the rumours are true.....

Dont say that...........At least let me live in hope for 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

What have you heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Dont say that...........At least let me live in hope for 24 hours

I'm not healys favourite person right now.
    sideswipe wrote:
    What have you heard?

Heard its been cancelled. Take with a pinch of salt until confirmed although source is pretty reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭event

Assuming those waves run the same steady pace

Imagine above with 3 waves.

10 from first wave slow down and wave 2 catches them. Thats a group of 25. Then 10 from Wave 3 catches up. Suddenly you have a group of 35 running close enough

Extreme example but what organizers will be thinking of

event wrote: »
    Assuming those waves run the same steady pace

Imagine above with 3 waves.

10 from first wave slow down and wave 2 catches them. Thats a group of 25. Then 10 from Wave 3 catches up. Suddenly you have a group of 35 running close enough

Extreme example but what organizers will be thinking of

Its set off with the fastest guys 1st in waves with 1 min intervals - but I see what you mean.
    There's a test event tonight with 8 waves of 4 - I believe the test event is being filmed for social media.

Other events planned in Mondello, based on the results of the test event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah I'd be hoping it'd work. We might actually get people in proper waves too

Advertisement