Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

8 waves of 4, easy

40 waves of 25? That sounds tricky to organise

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

The Covid numbers are pretty good right now in Ireland.
    Out of 1000 people what is the chance of having someone infected at the moment?
    At the moment 10 cases are detected everyday, let's say that's only 1/3 of the real infection, that's 30 cases, infectious for 14 days, that's 420 people walking around in Ireland at the moment who are infectious out of 5 millions. That's an incidence of 0.084 per 1000 people.

So if a race has 10 000 runners one of them is probably infectious. That's at the moment.

The same calculation can be done if the numbers of cases decrease further, mitigation must also be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

echancrure wrote: »
    So if a race has 10 000 runners one of them is probably infectious. That's at the moment.

The same calculation can be done if the numbers of cases decrease further, mitigation must also be implemented.

Or doing the same calculation for a 200 runner race, right now you could reasonably expect to run 50 races before being at a race that even has a single infected person, let alone actually catching anything off them. A risk that comes down each week.

That's before you consider that at something like a local parkrun, probably half the people are the same people week after week, so you'd be exposed to less individuals (Discourage tourist running for a few months. Open all the parkruns, to avoid travel! Run local!). Or that a significant fraction of those actual active cases are very unlikely to be out running and certainly not racing (old folks home redidents/too sick to consider running/aware of being infected or exposed/otherwise).

All round, I'm not worried about the virus risk at the moment and just waiting for the general opinion and advice to catch up. (While still avoiding crowds and mass gatherings, unnecessary trips, dripping sweat onto passers by, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Friend asked me if entries were still available for Charleville just now & when I checked, this is on the web site.
    Registration
    Due to unforseeable circumstances we are temporarily pausing registration. We will be in touch soon with updates until matters are clarified in relation to our event.

Hopefully it will go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Oh ye of little faith.

AAI fixtures to be announced in the coming days. There will be a track season, albeit with only a limited number of fixtures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Oh ye of little faith.

AAI fixtures to be announced in the coming days. There will be a track season, albeit with only a limited number of fixtures.

Any indication of how they’re going to run events>400m?

Down South wrote: »
    Any indication of how they’re going to run events>400m?

As normal I assume. Risk is so minimal. Social distancing will prob be more relevant for officials, control of numbers in indoor warm up area, spectator numbers, but I'm just guessing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

As normal I assume. Risk is so minimal. Social distancing will prob be more relevant for officials, control of numbers in indoor warm up area, spectator numbers, but I'm just guessing here.

If it's good enough for schools...

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

Oh ye of little faith.

Are these going to be open events or AI member events?

pc11 wrote: »
    Are these going to be open events or AI member events?

Track meets are always AAI only events generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Anyone have an idea of when IMRA events will start running again?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea of when IMRA events will start running again?

Committee still trying to work out the social distancing aspect afaik. With social distancing in place, they could restart in phase 3 (July). Orienteering events are starting again in July for example. I can't see Wednesday evening events happening this year though. Just too difficult to manage a start line of 200+ people on routes that are generally full of bottleneck sections and presumably way more walkers than in previous years also. It'll probably be only the open mountain events that typically attract fewer people that will go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

Anybody know what's happening with Charleville?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

Just saw this from Munster Athetics:

Following a Munster Council meeting on Monday night, the Munster Council have unanimously taken the decision NOT to hold any Munster T&F Championships this season due to the current situation with Covid-19. At the very core of our decision was the health, safety and welfare of all our athletes, officials, coaches, parents and supporters. There will be a meeting on Friday night (19th) with all County Boards to update them on our decision and answer any questions. Each County can have two representatives at the meeting and notification has gone out to all County Secretaries.

The Leinster Board are due to meet tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Snodge

Oiriallach wrote: »

Following a Munster Council meeting on Monday night, the Munster Council have unanimously taken the decision NOT to hold any Munster T&F Championships this season due to the current situation with Covid-19. At the very core of our decision was the health, safety and welfare of all our athletes, officials, coaches, parents and supporters. There will be a meeting on Friday night (19th) with all County Boards to update them on our decision and answer any questions. Each County can have two representatives at the meeting and notification has gone out to all County Secretaries.

A little surprising considering it is still hoped nationals will go ahead in Aug or September. What are others opinions? Will other provenices follow suit I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

They might be thinking they don't want to butcher their xc season for a half assed track season.

Oiriallach wrote: »

Jaysus, that's fierce cautious. Maybe lack of tracks is the issue. Both tracks in Cork plus UL are closed as they are university tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Jaysus, that's fierce cautious. Maybe lack of tracks is the issue. Both tracks in Cork plus UL are closed as they are university tracks.

There still are the options of Templemore, Waterford RSC and Castleisland.

Ceepo wrote: »
    There still are the options of Templemore, Waterford RSC and Castleisland.

Yep, the more I think about it, it comes across to me that they just aren't arsed reorganising everything. They'll never admit that of course, so impossible for me to be proven right. But how can National competitions be safe, yet Munster events are not safe?!

I hope this doesn't influence the decision of other bodies.

• Advertisement

Yep, the more I think about it, it comes across to me that they just aren't arsed reorganising everything. They'll never admit that of course, so impossible for me to be proven right. But how can National competitions be safe, yet Munster events are not safe?!

I hope this doesn't influence the decision of other bodies.
    I actually had a conversation about this earlier.

I think they should have waited for AAI to make a public call on whether they will stage nationals or not. Then make a call. They will not look great now if Nationals get the go ahead.

I actually had a conversation about this earlier.

I think they should have waited for AAI to make a public call on whether they will stage nationals or not. Then make a call. They will not look great now if Nationals get the go ahead.

National competitions will be happening I hear. Just haven't been announced publicly yet.

National competitions will be happening I hear. Just haven't been announced publicly yet.

I'm pretty sure you have your contacts and if your contacts say they're going ahead, then it makes the munster decision even stranger.

Surely one would imagine that they would be talking to their NGB and taking lead on an decision.

I'm pretty sure you have your contacts and if your contacts say they're going ahead, then it makes the munster decision even stranger.

Surely one would imagine that they would be talking to their NGB and taking lead on an decision.

Irish athletics is a very fractured sport. The various bodies don't seem to communicate well with each other.

Irish athletics is a very fractured sport. The various bodies don't seem to communicate well with each other.

Unfortunately this has always been the case

Wottle wrote: »
    I think that's fierce harsh on a group of volunteers and doubt very much "just aren't arsed" is the reason.

It might be harsh, but it might well be true. Maybe they see it as more trouble than it is worth.

How can it be unsafe for Munster to operate but perfectly safe for Leinsters and Nationals to operate?

Ironically, they'll cause other events to be less safe now as all Munster based athletes flock elsewhere in search of any competition before Nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Wottle

Just removed my comment before your reply as I don't know enough about it to comment. Just took offence to your "not arsed" comment. I've volunteered in athletics for only 10 years and the grief you get. All the volunteers I've come across have had decent and honest intentions and you do them a disservice.

Just removed my comment before your reply as I don't know enough about it to comment. Just took offence to your "not arsed" comment. I've volunteered in athletics for only 10 years and the grief you get. All the volunteers I've come across have had decent and honest intentions and you do them a disservice.

Not the best use of words to highlight my point I admit.

For the record, I'm not having a go at the volunteers. I can understand why they might not be bothered (if that's the case) reorganising everything with half their tracks out of action. But saying its down to public safety is nonsense when there will be meets elsewhere in Ireland and when there is already talk about public events of up to 5000 people in Ireland from September.

Personally I think its easier for bodies to just scrap events than try find an alternative. Dublin Athletics a prime example. Just cancelling meets and sticking to original schedule rather than trying to redraft the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Wottle

Not the best use of words to highlight my point I admit.

👍

I wonder could it be the age bracket that perhaps the volunteers and coaches fall into? I'm sure there's a number of other factors at play and hopefully they'll provide more info.

• Advertisement

ðŸ‘

I wonder could it be the age bracket that perhaps the volunteers and coaches fall into? I'm sure there's a number of other factors at play and hopefully they'll provide more info.

It was the case then masters competition would be scrapped which I believe is not happening.

Advertisement