Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Stark wrote: »
    Any link to the announcement? Is it as IvoryTower said, only 4 people allowed train together at a time?

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/coronavirus-covid-19-update/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

what i posted was the summary they gave on facebook of main points

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Just wondering if anyone heard anything about DCM. I thought there was to be a decision yesterday.
    I haven't seen anything yet. But I could have missed it
    (considering it just dawned on me today is Friday not Thursday ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Ceepo wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone heard anything about DCM. I thought there was to be a decision yesterday.
    I haven't seen anything yet. But I could have missed it
    (considering it just dawned on me today is Friday not Thursday ;))

Nothing yet. I'll eat my runners if it goes ahead.
    Can't imagine going from just getting kids back to school to 25k people in corrals.

Guill wrote: »
    Nothing yet. I'll eat my runners if it goes ahead.
    Can't imagine going from just getting kids back to school to 25k people in corrals.

I don't see it going ahead either. Tbh.
    Just that it was reported on Wednesday that an announcement would be made yesterday.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/marathon-efforts-can-distance-runners-keep-safely-apart-1.4251855?mode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭cullenswood

They had up on twitter that a board meeting was taking place this week and an announcement early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I think they should have pacers who are infected with cover-19. I'll start 2 meters ahead of the sub 3 hour guys and have extra incentive not to let them pass me going up heartbreak hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Refunds today for National championship entries...5k and 5 mile, 10k and 10 mile. If the plug is being pulled on those there won't be anything else approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/athletics/dublin-marathon-expected-to-be-cancelled-39209024.html

Dublin Marathon expected to be cancelled
    Last year's Dublin Marathon
    Last year's Dublin Marathon
    Sean McGoldrick

May 15 2020 12:35 PM

The 2020 Dublin Marathon is expected to be cancelled today.

The Board of Directors met last night to discuss the future of the race which was scheduled for Sunday, October 25. It would have been the 41st running of the event which has been sold out for months.

A decision on the future of the event could not be delayed any longer as the merchandise for this year's race needs to be ordered in the next couple of weeks.

But given the current rules on social distancing which are likely to remain in place for the foreseeable future, running an event which is likely to have over 20,000 participants and a quarter of a million spectators, is not practical.

Medical experts have suggested that the risk of participants in a marathon passing on the virus to fellow runners during the race itself is very low. However, it would still be regarded as unsafe due to the congregation of the runners at the start at the start of the race.

The last big city marathon to take place prior to the worldwide Covid 19 shutdown as the Tokyo marathon in which only the elite runners were allowed participate.

All the other major spring marathons such as Boston and London were postponed until the autumn.

Major question marks remain over whether they will now go ahead as the Berlin marathon which was due to take place in September has already been cancelled.

The Dublin marathon, which was the brainchild of Louis Hogan - then a radio producer with RTE - and the late Noel Carroll was first held in 1980 on the October Bank Holiday Monday.

After an initial surge in interest the event almost folded during the 1990s when participation levels dropped to below 3,000.

However, under the leadership of current race director Jim Aughney the event was revived and now attracts over 20,000 entries annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Ok that's pretty much a clean sweep of everything I'd entered for the whole year. Wonder if there's any chance of Run the Line going ahead in Nov? Much smaller event although pretty crowded at the start for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I was thinking when road racing returns. I'd imagine it will AAI races that return first so could it be that races will only open to registered club members only before moving on to opening up for the general public? We might see cross country races before road races

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

It's a hard one to call.

I'd imagine the first races back would be swamped with entries, limiting numbers is an option, maybe even limiting entries to the particular county would help but I expect numbers in Offaly here would be a lot less than numbers in Dublin/Cork.
    managing any amount of people before the start is the difficulty.

Using large open area for people to gather and calling on them to line up 1 minute before the start could work, wither that or staggered starts for smaller events?

Maybe people waiting the 'open corral' and when they are called join the 2m distant queue. With chip numbering it may work but would add a long time to the race making multiple events difficult.

MY BAD wrote: »
    We might see cross country races before road races

Starting to think it’s most likely scenario and could be a good opportunity to promote this style of racing

- no changing facilities needed
    - can restrict to local parks
    - small field sizes
    - can set up start pens to social distance like Nationals do for teams
    - can use shoots to stagger finishes (off chutes beyond finish line as they already do to try ensure not making placing mistakes When recording finishing position)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Also self-supported races that do away with water stations.

KSU wrote: »
    Starting to think it’s most likely scenario and could be a good opportunity to promote this style of racing

- no changing facilities needed
    - can restrict to local parks
    - small field sizes
    - can set up start pens to social distance like Nationals do for teams
    - can use shoots to stagger finishes (off chutes beyond finish line as they already do to try ensure not making placing mistakes When recording finishing position)

Back to old school xc.
    Changing in the car, warm up in the muck, take off jacket and put it on spikes at the ditch. Run race, over to water trough to wash the muck off, change back into warm clothes at the ditch. Car heater of full blast for 30 mins to try warm up again..
    Brilliant :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ah lads, we can't go from one cross country season to another with nothing in between can we?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

adrian522 wrote: »
    Ah lads, we can't go from one cross country season to another with nothing in between can we?

We will always have Bohermeen. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

EYXnWRHWoAEj8WI?format=jpg&name=medium

EYXnWRHWoAEj8WI?format=jpg&name=medium

Unfortunately it was inevitable.

• Advertisement

Live Elite Road Running tonight at 7pm

https://www.nrk.no/sport/friidrett-1.11725440

Be interesting to see the format as they are talking of a F1 style grid start

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

KSU wrote: »
    Live Elite Road Running tonight at 7pm

https://www.nrk.no/sport/friidrett-1.11725440

Be interesting to see the format as they are talking of a F1 style grid start

Jakob looked ridiculously comfortable running 13:29, not much social distancing among the spectators!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭OutTheGap

Interesting idea by popupraces: https://www.popupraces.ie/2020/05/a-return-to-racing-june-9th-2020/

They are having a 5k race for 32 invited athletes. Staggered starts in groups of 4 with the fastest going off first. Athletes turn up to the start 2 minutes before their start time.

If the event is a success, they could hold similar events later.

While we'd all love to be running "proper" races, this is probably the best we're going to get in the short/medium term. Fair play to the people at popup races for showing initiative and organising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Good read thanks.
    Pro Luke O Neill was on the radio this morning say almost the exact same thing, word for word.

A few thing spring to mind from reading it in the context of sport.
    If what is said in the article about covid being airborne and with a higher risk among more forceful breathing. Its hard to see how sports like rugby and soccer can go ahead. When you have people in close proximity and breathing heavy. Add in the fact that there's always raised voices and players shouting. I know that the fact it's a game played outside will have a mitigation effect on it spreading.

Not sure where that leaves athletics.
    My own opinion is that some smaller track meets might be allowed go ahead in August or September.
    Possibly also some road races as well, and hopefully cross country races.

As an idea, some County championships races.
    This will confine the entries, as they will be only open to members of a club within that county.
    This will reduce the amount of travel people might have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ceepo wrote: »
    Good read thanks.
    Pro Luke O Neill was on the radio this morning say almost the exact same thing, word for word.

A few thing spring to mind from reading it in the context of sport.
    If what is said in the article about covid being airborne and with a higher risk among more forceful breathing. Its hard to see how sports like rugby and soccer can go ahead. When you have people in close proximity and breathing heavy. Add in the fact that there's always raised voices and players shouting. I know that the fact it's a game played outside will have a mitigation effect on it spreading.

Not sure where that leaves athletics.
    My own opinion is that some smaller track meets might be allowed go ahead in August or September.
    Possibly also some road races as well, and hopefully cross country races.

As an idea, some County championships races.
    This will confine the entries, as they will be only open to members of a club within that county.
    This will reduce the amount of travel people might have to do.

Even if the clubs have races on their tracks for their own members, it be something

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Postponed 2020 Boston Marathon rescheduled for September is now cancelled.

Clonmel AC Boston scientific half marathon is also cancelled.

I did hear that Charvelle half was still going ahead but I'm not 100% on that information

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Seems like a positive for outdoor non-contact sports:

'Researchers in China studying the spread of the coronavirus outside Hubei province—ground zero for the pandemic—identified 318 clusters of three or more cases between 4 January and 11 February, only one of which originated outdoors. A study in Japan found that the risk of infection indoors is almost 19 times higher than outdoors. (Japan, which was hit early but has kept the epidemic under control, has built its COVID-19 strategy explicitly around avoiding clusters, advising citizens to avoid closed spaces and crowded conditions.)'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Limerick cancelled

Advertisement