Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I know there are few here who've bought the Sinn wall clock and are awaiting delivery, I look forward to seeing them :)

From every single interaction I've had with those lovely lads in Frankfurt, they really do impress.

Like many here I have their catalogue and love it.
    I also have a U2 that I've done some terrible things to (all soon to be reversed)
    From trying skeleton hands, meh.
    To having to soldier on with a white datewheel as mine was corroded due to a serious lack of giving a shít by the previous owner and being unable to source a replacement.

I'd sent the lads in Sinn an email last November asking to buy, heard nothing back.
    This morning they emailed me to apologise for missing my email and are sending me the datewheel gratis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Enjoying watching through Knight Rider again, fun spotting these watches, another example of two different interests interlinked :)

Season 1 Episode 15 Give Me Liberty... or Give Me Death

Seiko 6105-8110/9 “Captain Willard” worn by the character Ed Shaw played by Alan Fudge, also a stopwatch in the same shot :cool:

Wjcww0m.jpg

bbyjtpu.jpg

Same episode, took a bit of digging to identify, believe it to be a Wittnauer Electronic Digital LED won by the character Hashi Al Qatar played by Adam Ageli

9u9ZPDm.jpg

kohWJQs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

My friends something most terrible has happened, ive begun to get annoyed having a watch on my hand over the last week

Quick, fetch Fr. Wibbs from the rectory :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you're at stage five that could be the reason.

5456272971_0911a874ec.jpg

Or wear it on your wrist like normal people. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

You know what I mean :p

Funnily enough I'm a hairy heure stage 4 permanently doesn't help with jubilee bracelets ouch

I'm hoping to be odd for week and order my Bambino eventually. They often drop to €94 delivered from Amazon Italy if anyone is interested, a good price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

It looks like my two elder boys having picked up the watchbug. They both have part time jobs and decided to splurge a couple of hundred on a first watch. Both have decided to go mechanical automatic. I pointed them to have a root through my watchbox to pick a style that they like, and then of course the interweb.Watches that can be modded seem to appeal to them.

Anyway, the eldest at 21 has committed first and gone for a seiko srpd53, the pepsi dialled Seiko 5. Arrives tomorrow.

Boy no 2,who is 18, initially favoured a seiko snzf17 seiko sea urchin in black so he could change to a green bezel like a kermit. He dives so I advised him to get something with 200M wr, like the Orient Mako series. He's chasing a seiko Samurai now. He really went into detail on the hands and hour markers that he likes.

I couldn't convince either to spring for the $275 eta 2824 glycine combat sub from the bargain thread, or the merits of any of the microbrands out there. I guess you need a seiko to start with and develop an appreciation from there.
    Same goes for quartz or solar, not in consideration, mechanical only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

njburke wrote: »
    It looks like my two elder boys having picked up the watchbug. They both have part time jobs and decided to splurge a couple of hundred on a first watch. Both have decided to go mechanical automatic. I pointed them to have a root through my watchbox to pick a style that they like, and then of course the interweb.Watches that can be modded seem to appeal to them.

Anyway, the eldest at 21 has committed first and gone for a seiko srpd53, the pepsi dialled Seiko 5. Arrives tomorrow.

Boy no 2,who is 18, initially favoured a seiko snzf17 seiko sea urchin in black so he could change to a green bezel like a kermit. He dives so I advised him to get something with 200M wr, like the Orient Mako series. He's chasing a seiko Samurai now. He really went into detail on the hands and hour markers that he likes.

I couldn't convince either to spring for the $275 eta 2824 glycine combat sub from the bargain thread, or the merits of any of the microbrands out there. I guess you need a seiko to start with and develop an appreciation from there.
    Same goes for quartz or solar, not in consideration, mechanical only.

Could go for a base skx007 and mod it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Could go for a base skx007 and mod it?

Agreed, the classics are always a good place to start.

Fitz II wrote: »
    Agreed, the classics are always a good place to start.

He looked at the skx007, but the handwind and hack of the 4r35 appeals.

I lent him my Tissel sub a couple of weeks ago, he came back to me days later to tell me the battery was dead or he broke it. That was his introduction to mechanicals.

I lent him my Tissel sub a couple of weeks ago, he came back to me days later to tell me the battery was dead or he broke it. That was his introduction to mechanicals.

I put a nh36 regulated movement in my 007 hacks and is pretty accurate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

My friends something most terrible has happened, ive begun to get annoyed having a watch on my hand over the last week

Quick, fetch Fr. Wibbs from the rectory :pac:

Because…you wished you could have two watches on both hands?

I actually do that :P - but one is a "wearer" and one is a product tester just to see how things perform over the long term. Easier to pull off when working from home too :D

I had my Skx781 monster upgraded to 4r35 and sapphire, it's my only modded watch. He's bemoaning the price of the skx007 and fact that they used to be cheaper.

If they need to the second accuracy hacking allows maybe Seiko movements are not the way to go :D

Handwinding??? Do the Seiko shuffle

If they need to the second accuracy hacking allows maybe Seiko movements are not the way to go :D

Handwinding??? Do the Seiko shuffle

Well it's hard to get COSC accuracy on a minimum wage partime job, unless you go quartz, and quartz is out. With one watch, the rate will accumulate as it will be worn everyday. He'll get the hang of it. cheapest 007 seems to be creation watches at $290.

Well it's hard to get COSC accuracy on a minimum wage partime job, unless you go quartz, and quartz is out. With one watch, the rate will accumulate as it will be worn everyday. He'll get the hang of it. cheapest 007 seems to be creation watches at $290.

I think Dave has one on adverts if you are around theee parts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

After an extended period away from horological activities my interest has been piqued by the Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro 41mm White dial.
    Finding EU dealer selling one at a price that feels right is a pain...but I do love the chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I had one in black. It's a superb watch for the money. Have you tried one on though? It's big and it wears big. Try get one second hand, they depreciate a good bit in the first year.

unkel wrote: »
    I had one in black. It's a superb watch for the money. Have you tried one on though? It's big and it wears big. Try get one second hand, they depreciate a good bit in the first year.

There are two sizes available, 41mm and 45mm. Can you remember which one you tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I see my local dealer has them, just not with a white face.

https://om.rivolishop.com/product/Watches/Mens-Fashion-Watches/Mens-Fashion-Watches-New/Mens-Jazzmaster/H32705581

Roughly €1050.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I don't get the universal love for the SKX. What's so great about it? Is it just a case that it was the only cheap semi decent automatic around when they came out? Let's call a spade a spade, the movement is robust but the accuracy is crap (My experience with NH35s). The bezel is rubbish (I have experience of this as I modded one onto my vostok), hardlex is a scratch magnet and just feels and looks cheap. On paper, it's a bit of a ****ter but does it just all come together nicely on the watch and work?

• Advertisement

redlead wrote: »
    I don't get the universal love for the SKX. What's so great about it? Is it just a case that it was the only cheap semi decent automatic around when they came out? Let's call a spade a spade, the movement is robust but the accuracy is crap (My experience with NH35s). The bezel is rubbish (I have experience of this as I modded one onto my vostok), hardlex is a scratch magnet and just feels and looks cheap. On paper, it's a bit of a ****ter but does it just all come together nicely on the watch and work?

Its become a cult classic. I totally agree with your critique of the watch. Not very accurate, not very well built, not great finishing or materials, crap bracelet or rubber strap....but its honest. It has no pretentions. I got my first one for around 120 euro new, and at that level its a no brainer. I know they are expensive now, but that because people are nostalgic for them and they are discontinued.

I think the reason its the one to have comes down to the fact its not pretending to be accurate (why would an entry level automatic watch do that....if thats your priority get a quartz), its not pretending to be luxury, its not pretending to be a Rolex, its not pretending to be anything except itself. Its a well designed, wearable dive style watch, not too big, not to small, not too thick. Cheap parts, accurate enough for normal people and cheap enough that when it stops in 20 years you chuck it out and start again.

The new ones with hideous movements with display cases, and irrelevant fancy features and powerrangers and street fighters on the dial are a getting away from this unpretentious roots and will never find the same love.

By my definition the SKX is certainly not a sh1tter. Its fit for purpose, built for purpose and has a classic origional design. Its the only seiko I keep in my collection and I think its the perfect starting point for anyone starting on this hobby, and one of the few places you can start where you wont regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There are two sizes available, 41mm and 45mm. Can you remember which one you tried?

My one was the 45mm alright :D

Didn't know there was a smaller one. Was perfect size for me, but I'm fairly big with 7.5" wrists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

By my definition the SKX is certainly not a sh1tter. Its fit for purpose, built for purpose and has a classic origional design. Its the only seiko I keep in my collection and I think its the perfect starting point for anyone starting on this hobby, and one of the few places you can start where you wont regret it.

But is it 'the perfect starting point' in 2021 with the inflated price and outdated specs? I think a Vostok Amphibia or an Orient Bambino would be a better starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Or perhaps - something Chinese - a nice Seagull ST2130 powered watch fills the SKX role very well... Alternatively, I imagine if someone got a 1963 for around 150 euro and then shifted to Swiss or Japanese at 300-600 they might be disappointed in seeing what else they are getting besides the much better brand recognition (not saying that a 1963 is perfect, but that for 150 it is a lot of watch that you don't start seeing again from Swiss/Japanese alternatives until much further up the price point).

An amphibia might scare them off mechanicals/automatics for life if they assume all mechanical watches are as "loose" as that Vostok :D

But is it 'the perfect starting point' in 2021 with the inflated price and outdated specs? I think a Vostok Amphibia or an Orient Bambino would be a better starting point.

I have had Orients and Vostocks and they are unworthy to touch the helm of the Seiko SKX's garment. The seiko offers a good package, its not trying to tick all the feature boxes and it has the very important component of desirability and respectability. Desirability is an important aspect, that you have to have for a watch to enjoy it.

Lets be real here, this is a watch collecting forum. 300 euro for a automatic watch that will work unserved for 20 years and hold 80% of its value is not a lot of money. 3 tanks of petrol in your car, 2 nights on the lash, a weekend away in a hotel. Whats expensive is settling for the inferior watch. I have been there buying all around me and developing a box of watches that I convinced myself were good buys. The only one that actually was was my SKX. Orients and Vostocks are dead ends.

Outdated specs? Automatic watches are outdated, not point trying to polish that turd. Its just a matter of how much outdatedness you accept. Telling the time is a function of a watch not the function of a watch. A watch is jewellery.

Vostocks are pure muck sorry.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Or perhaps - something Chinese - a nice Seagull ST2130 powered watch fills the SKX role very well... Alternatively, I imagine if someone got a 1963 for around 150 euro and then shifted to Swiss or Japanese at 300-600 they might be disappointed in seeing what else they are getting besides the much better brand recognition (not saying that a 1963 is perfect, but that for 150 it is a lot of watch that you don't start seeing again from Swiss/Japanese alternatives until much further up the price point).

An amphibia might scare them off mechanicals/automatics for life if they assume all mechanical watches are as "loose" as that Vostok :D

The 1963 will be my next purchase I think, slightly bewildered by the numerous variations & places to purchase though... Definitely a very cool looking watch

I have had Orients and Vostocks and they are unworthy to touch the helm of the Seiko SKX's garment. The seiko offers a good package, its not trying to tick all the feature boxes and it has the very important component of desirability and respectability. Desirability is an important aspect, that you have to have for a watch to enjoy it.

Lets be real here, this is a watch collecting forum. 300 euro for a automatic watch that will work unserved for 20 years and hold 80% of its value is not a lot of money. 3 tanks of petrol in your car, 2 nights on the lash, a weekend away in a hotel. Whats expensive is settling for the inferior watch. I have been there buying all around me and developing a box of watches that I convinced myself were good buys. The only one that actually was was my SKX. Orients and Vostocks are dead ends.

Outdated specs? Automatic watches are outdated, not point trying to polish that turd. Its just a matter of how much outdatedness you accept. Telling the time is a function of a watch not the function of a watch. A watch is jewellery.

Vostocks are pure muck sorry.

I picked up a orient kamasu at Xmas for my son for 185 euro delivered Amazon Germany. Nice watch for the money. Accuracy isn’t a big deal at this price point. Isnt orient a seiko sub brand?

I see my local dealer has them, just not with a white face.

https://om.rivolishop.com/product/Watches/Mens-Fashion-Watches/Mens-Fashion-Watches-New/Mens-Jazzmaster/H32705581

Roughly €1050.

Its the jazzmaster maestro I am after, its a chrono!

h32766513.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

h32766513.png

I'll pop in next time I'm in the mall. They have a store next door to our "Tesco"

• Advertisement

Jomashop have them around 1000 euro so after duty about 1400. Just a little bit more (50%) and you would have a very similar used zenith el primero, certainly a speedmaster reduced.

Hammilton is not a bad brand and they have some genuine history, but for that sort of dosh I would tend towards a classic.

Advertisement