Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've done a fair number of hands and dials with new lume B. Pretty easy if fiddly. They're nearly all water based acrylic as far as the medium is concerned. Just use acrylic varnish and Bob's your uncle, Fanny's your aunt. Maybe give it a day between coats if you're concerned. If you can source some original Seiko lume that's the best of all I've seen and by some margin. I've yet to see non radioactive lume that lasted longer and brighter than Seiko's mix from any manufacturer.

We'll see once I try the X1 superluminova :p (x1 being their top grade)

Does Seiko sell their lume to 3rd parties?

I think actually the X1 does beat out the Seiko monster lume - saw a youtube comparison video in this - will dig it up in a mo.

added the links here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqsvfJ6I-cQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQGwUqH-AQA

and a video on Super Luminova:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnu8r6ClZyE

I think for a lot of lume it is highly dependant on how many layers you choose to go with. With X1 he was saying that the light emitted would be doubled after 12 hours compared to standard superluminova. It's what would be used in the Equinox...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

On a different note and in the theme of the current Seiko craze sweeping the sub.

There is a pile of Seiko of all types being traded over on reddit's r/watchexchange

Skx007 just went for $220.

Here's how the experts relume btw:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyEB2yDBXbM (first of 3 videos - in the second video he gives the exact stuff used for reluming hands as a binding agent - lacquer Bergeon 5680.B.L

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Here's how the experts relume btw:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyEB2yDBXbM (first of 3 videos - in the second video he gives the exact stuff used for reluming hands as a binding agent - lacquer Bergeon 5680.B.L

I have a syringe of premixed superluminova green so binder isn't really a worry at the mo.
    Hands I can and have done, weirdly open style Merc hands and similar are far easier IMO.
    As they can be done from the back.

Sword style and other styles that need to be lumed from the front are tricky as feck.
    Getting the lume to flow evenly on those really depends on the type of hand.
    If there is a raised edge, it's far easier than with just a flat surface as the lume tends to done and rise slightly in the middle.

Indices, I have tried and failed :pac:

I started with a fine brush, terrible finish.
    Have settled on a combo of fluid applicator tips nicked from my Mrs work, and oiler application.

For fills the syringe too, for control an oiler.

Wibbs is really the go to man for lume jobs tho, I've done 1 watch and played around with a sacrificial dial and hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭scwazrh

banie01 wrote: »
    There is a pile of Seiko of all types being traded over on reddit's r/watchexchange

What’s generally the safest way to pay if you buy a watch through Reddit or watchuseek?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

The below watch is doing the round this week

Chap x sold to Fitz who sold to Thomaskutty who sold to the chap below! Who is now selling.

https://www.adverts.ie/20648715

scwazrh wrote: »
    What’s generally the safest way to pay if you buy a watch through Reddit or watchuseek?

For protection as a buyer, PayPal goods and services is probably the safest but will add @4.5% to the sale price versus friends and family.
    It does give you PayPay protection tho.

There is a fairly good feedback system over there and as always be it the seller.
    Check their post history, if they are using PayPal check their feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

893bet wrote: »
    The below watch is doing the round this week

Chap x sold to Fitz who sold to Thomaskutty who sold to the chap below! Who is now selling.

https://www.adverts.ie/20648715

That’s some amount of close contacts, must be riddled at this stage

What’s the price history on it anyone remember?

david wrote: »
    That’s some amount of close contacts, must be riddled at this stage

What’s the price history on it anyone remember?

Lol. All socially distance hand overs I am sure.

Asking price around 3200-3400. Assume selling price a couple of 100 below that I would assume. So no real change in price.

The joy of second hand watches especially modern ones of “big” brands is that if priced fairly they are a risk free purchase and easily moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Lol. All socially distance hand overs I am sure.

Asking price around 3200-3400. Assume selling price a couple of 100 below that I would assume. So no real change in price.

The joy of second hand watches especially modern ones of “big” brands is that if priced fairly they are a risk free purchase and easily moved on.

I blame the lockdown... I'd never have bought my seamaster 300m and speedmaster if I didn't have more time on my hands to be on here and other watch places.... Damn you covid 19 damn you to hell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I saw a watch a while ago and I'm smitten with it. The problem is that it's made in small batches and been put of stock for ages. There was a notification on the website saying it was available at 2pm yesterday.

I checked at 5 past 2 and its gone again :(

I'll try again at the end of the month.

https://www.timefactors.com/prs25exp.htm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Finally got round to fitting a new Hirsh strap to my Damasko watch;

516471.jpg

First I had to get the old deployant buckle off.

516472.jpg

NATOs are great, this one's off to the washing machine after 6 months on the farm......

516474.jpg

New one fits the deployant, I left the keepers on though, my old strap frayed a bit where the deployant hinge meets the leather. Hopefully the keepers will protect it.

516475.jpg

All finished.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Aren`t Damaskos great all the same!!! All types of abuse and they look none the worst for it!

I was in Regensburg a few years back and found out that they had their "factory" (some portacabins) about 15 mins outside the town. I called them and they where happyish to invite me over. I did not get to see much but they did remove the speck of dust on the lumious triangle at the 12 marker on my DA46 with no issue. I also got a Damasko pen for my trouble!! Good guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Gavin1 wrote: »
    Aren`t Damaskos great all the same!!! All types of abuse and they look none the worst for it!

I was in Regensburg a few years back and found out that they had their "factory" (some portacabins) about 15 mins outside the town. I called them and they where happyish to invite me over. I did not get to see much but they did remove the speck of dust on the lumious triangle at the 12 marker on my DA46 with no issue. I also got a Damasko pen for my trouble!! Good guys!

the damaskos (conrad and the missus) look to me to be the most germanic germans.

happyish made me lol

i had a DC66 at one stage, the diver looks nice, have been tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Cyrus wrote: »
    happyish made me lol

It was a "sure come on over, we would love to see you with 2 hours notice" type thing.

Also during the visit one of my colleagues, then asked for "your best price.." for one of the watches he was handling.
    Their English ran out at that stage! Surprised that we managed to keep the pens after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Today, I had a stab at regulating the SRP775 using Audacity. Although inside Seiko tolerance, it's slow enough to annoy me given my SKX007 is about 5 seconds slow per day.

This is the best guide I could find: https://www.watchspec.com/watch-regulation/

Before, deviation over 1 minute = +0.027s * 60 mins * 24 hrs = -38.88 seconds per day, 4.5 minutes per week

After, deviation over 1 minute = +0.003s * 60 mins * 24hrs = -4.32 seconds per day, 0.5 minutes per week

516520.png

Very happy with the results. When adjusting, I gave the lever the tiniest of nudges with a tweezers. Wasn't even sure it moved but seems to have done the trick.

Lads I tried on my 1st Rolex earlier today.

I'd love to be contrarian and say it's all a pile of bollox, you're paying for the marketing and we all need to cop on and stop spending stupid money on watches...

But I'd be lying!
    Tried on an 114060 and for a simple 3 hander, with no other USP(other than the brand IMO) Jesus it's just such a well crafted and put together lump of steel.
    The glidelock clasp and the bracelet are incredibly comfortable.

It makes my Sinn H-Link seem a bit crap in comparison and I'm suddenly very glad I sold it.

The inky black depth of the dial, they take the simple and execute it brilliantly.

Dunno if I'll actually ever own one, but I stuck my name on the list and if it comes up will enter into negotiations with my wallet.

Lol!

Where did you try one one?

I would expect a call soon rather than later, not an especially hard to get model.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,790 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Weir's? Had they one in stock? That's surprising as they only had undesirable models last week. You're in the queue right behind me for that sub :D

Lol!

Where did you try one one?

I would expect a call soon rather than later, not an especially hard to get model.

Sure theres only 1 place down our way that has a list ;)
    Have a friend working there and was in for a browse and a chat today.

Had a yachtmaster on just for a look too, can't see the attraction tbh.
    If there's going to be a call, it really needs to be a year from now and after a price drop :pac:

• Advertisement

Dunno if I'll actually ever own one, but I stuck my name on the list and if it comes up will enter into negotiations with my wallet.

Strange nickname to call the missus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

You know, there might be a regular on here considering selling their 14060M if you want to possibly have a discussion with your wallet a little sooner.

unkel wrote: »
    Weir's? Had they one in stock? That's surprising as they only had undesirable models last week. You're in the queue right behind me for that sub :D

The one I tried wasn't for sale, you can stay ahead of me in that queue as until bitcoin moons....
    The Mrs won't loosen the purse strings that far :P

I've already kinda convinced her that when me and the kid finally take a boys trip to London that I should look for a Tudor.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    You know, there might be a regular on here considering selling their 14060M if you want to possibly have a discussion with your wallet a little sooner.

Honestly reckon it's going to be a year until I can lay any serious cash down.
    Thanks for the tip tho.

The amount of enablers on this forum is to damn high :pac:

@TF, at this point of lockdown, it's probably the nicest thing I've called her in a month :P

Only joking, she is a diamond and I love her dearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Only joking, she is a diamond and I love her dearly.

Ah given that statement, she must be on boards so!

VW 1 wrote: »
    Ah given that statement, she must be on boards so!

She isn't..
    I think?!?
    but she does know username and has on occasion referred to Wibbs as my watch husband : pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

She isn't..
    I think?!?
    but she does know username and has on occasion referred to Wibbs as my watch husband : pac:

I have a funny, kind of related story on that. Years ago, my wife (gf of 12 months or so then) bought me tickets to go to a United game on the tickets forum here, for my birthday. I was a regular matchgoer and had mentioned I was thinking of going to that particular game. She told me we had some family thing to go to so it wouldn't work to go the game. I saw a brand new account get tickets for the same game, username had her initials and age at the time. I kinda knew it must be her. And when she gave them to me on th big day triumphantly telling me she'd got them on boards I didn't have the heart to tell her I knew :D ten years together now and married and I still haven't mentioned that story :D

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Had a yachtmaster on just for a look too, can't see the attraction tbh.

Yachtmaster 40mm or Yachtmaster II. The Yachtmaster 40mm Rolesium would be up the top of my list :cool:

@VW A story worth thanking twice for :) - that's super sweet.

On my first date with MsThirdfox I convinced her the lemony water we wash our hands in after eating chicken wings was Irish soup... I didn't have the heart to actually let her drink it though :D

Guess she liked my sense of humour!

• Advertisement

Thirdfox wrote: »
    On my first date with MsThirdfox I convinced her the lemony water we wash our hands in after eating chicken wings was Irish soup...

Jaysus TF! Snap!
    On my 1st dinner date with my 1st wife (and mother of son) back when we were only kids her 15 and me 16 ;)

We were out at a local Chinese restaurant, and we had a mixed starter and when the finger bowls were brought out she asked what kind of soup it was :pac:

Advertisement