Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

kk.man wrote: »
    I did baking soda in a plastic drench gun before for ones that were completely off their food but I can't remember the mix. It worked well though.

You would give 1kg a day to heavy pregnant big ewes weighing twice the weight of fat lambs.

I have fed 1kg to lambs before, split over 2 feeds like Ard_Mc...
    I found it worked well, put on good weight on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

I’ve had lambs consume 1.5 to 2kg per day in Adlib system without any stomach upsets but they sure as hell need to be thriving when they are on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

razor8 wrote: »
    I’ve had lambs consume 1.5 to 2kg per day in Adlib system without any stomach upsets but they sure as hell need to be thriving when they are on it

Gets very expensive very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Dickie10

this comes with a health warning. if theres a high barley content in feed. if you let adlib feeders empty, when you fill them again and lambs gorge then this can kill them. if there tipping away eating all the time then its grand so u have to keep the feeder full

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Sundays rain was the last straw. Housed all the ewes here yesterday. Vaccinated and fluke dose as well. 11.30pm finish and they're happy out this morning. I'm fuking banjaxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Dickie10 wrote: »
    this comes with a health warning. if theres a high barley content in feed. if you let adlib feeders empty, when you fill them again and lambs gorge then this can kill them. if there tipping away eating all the time then its grand so u have to keep the feeder full

I know farmers that let the feeders empty regular, can't understand it,I let a feeder empty once and a lamb got killed in the rush

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Housed all the ewes at the weekend. Fluke dosed and footbath. Will worm when they are scanned in about two weeks. Maybe a shot of cobalt as well. They are in great condition. On very bare land the last few weeks. Would have easily been fine for another week. They are in now and walloping silage into them self's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭DJ98

Would there be money to be made from buying ewes inlamb and then selling them 9ff with lambs at foot around a month old?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

DJ98 wrote: »
    Would there be money to be made from buying ewes inlamb and then selling them 9ff with lambs at foot around a month old?

There might be. However you chance bringing in all sorts to the lambing shed and or your own flock. You could be lucky.

kk.man wrote: »
    There might be. However you chance bringing in all sorts to the lambing shed and or your own flock. You could be lucky.

I was planning on buying ewes lambmg in January and have them gone before my own start, would this reduce e the risk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

I was planning on buying ewes lambmg in January and have them gone before my own start, would this reduce e the risk?

Problem with early lambers would be less customers. Less grass and more meal for the fella buying them.

Have a hogget here that's stumbling to walk. It's like her two legs are buckling under her ,down near the hooves. Any ideas ?

Anyone any experience with the 9 bar sheep gates from buffalo Steel. Would the quality be as good as the Gibney version, would there be a major price difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Tileman

Anyone any experience with the 9 bar sheep gates from buffalo Steel. Would the quality be as good as the Gibney version, would there be a major price difference?

I only bought the half mesh gates and they were very good quality. All their stuff seems to be well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

No experience of buffalo steel but I think the quality of gibney stuff has gone downhill in the last couple of years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Would anyone know if anybody in Ireland is producing working German Shepherds?

My dogs here are getting old now and I would like to have a working dog as well as a guard dog around the house when I'm not around.

You really have to see gates in the flesh. Not too many left making their own anymore. Alot are the same gates imported from abroad. To be honest, once you find a really well made hurdle, the difference between it and some of the poorer made gates on the market will be very obvious. I like a heavy, well made gate, that doesn't skimp on the steel. But make up your own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Have bought hurdles, hay racks, gates and find them good stuff and lads are very easy to deal with and good delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

If people had the choice when buying brand new gates from likes of Buffalo would they go for pin to slip down to join gates type of gate or go for the fixed points on ends that interlink gates?

Lot of gates here going on 20 years old,are long pin you slip down type....were great gates,bottom part had mesh on them to block lambs.

Time to invest in around 15 new ones so want to buy well.
    If these gates are not going to be permanently fixed in a yard can they still qualify for TAMS grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheDoc77

If people had the choice when buying brand new gates from likes of Buffalo would they go for pin to slip down to join gates type of gate or go for the fixed points on ends that interlink gates?

Lot of gates here going on 20 years old,are long pin you slip down type....were great gates,bottom part had mesh on them to block lambs.

Time to invest in around 15 new ones so want to buy well.
    If these gates are not going to be permanently fixed in a yard can they still qualify for TAMS grant?

I would 100% choose the drop pin ones, far and away a better gate for lambing pens etc. Can’t help with the TAMS question !!

• Advertisement

TheDoc77 wrote: »
    I would 100% choose the drop pin ones, far and away a better gate for lambing pens etc. Can’t help with the TAMS question !!
    Thanks....suppose I could buy a combination of both if needs be....have moved to nearly all outside lambing here so and have proper lambing pens in shed so don’t ever really need to make up pens as such.

Have cattle crushes in yards on farm and at mo I tie up present old sheep gates to inside of crushes whenever dosing sheep iykwim,
    Main handling yard was designed for cattle so a bit big when working with bunches of less than 40 sheep so that’s why I am wondering to avail of TAMs grant do gates have to be fitted ‘permanently’?
    Or could you have them fitted into newly concreted in wall fixings to make work pens smaller iykwim .....and take them down for use elsewhere occasionally if needs be?

Thanks for any replies....

Ps-my setup wouldn’t really suit putting in a sheep race etc for TAMs as have cattle as well and like the fluidity of being able to work at sheep one day and cattle the next if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Thanks....suppose I could buy a combination of both if needs be....have moved to nearly all outside lambing here so and have proper lambing pens in shed so don’t ever really need to make up pens as such.

Have cattle crushes in yards on farm and at mo I tie up present old sheep gates to inside of crushes whenever dosing sheep iykwim,
    Main handling yard was designed for cattle so a bit big when working with bunches of less than 40 sheep so that’s why I am wondering to avail of TAMs grant do gates have to be fitted ‘permanently’?
    Or could you have them fitted into newly concreted in wall fixings to make work pens smaller iykwim .....and take them down for use elsewhere occasionally if needs be?

Thanks for any replies....

Ps-my setup wouldn’t really suit putting in a sheep race etc for TAMs as have cattle as well and like the fluidity of being able to work at sheep one day and cattle the next if needs be.
    You seem to place a lot of value on tams grant. I wonder how much these grants are worth at the end of the day?. If you buy without grant you can reclaim the full amount through your tax. If you get grant you can only claim the remaining portion

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

What are people’s ideal paddock sizes for grazing sheep ? Ino depends on flock size etc . Have good few fields here all around the 15 acre mark and don’t know what to do with them .

Young95 wrote: »
    What are people’s ideal paddock sizes for grazing sheep ? Ino depends on flock size etc . Have good few fields here all around the 15 acre mark and don’t know what to do with them .

This is something I've been thinking about here. I'm saying around 2ha/5ac. We have around the 90 mark lambing and they will be split into 2 main lots with a 3rd lot of trips/pets.
    Like you said it depends on flock size, but also how easy it is to split the fields. We have a 7ac and a 9ac that I would just split along the drain that runs through them. The 9 would be roughly in half but the 7 would be more like 2ac/5ac. That suits us as the 2ac part would be middle of the farm so it has access to other fields off it. Its no harm if the sheep spend less time in it.
    We also have a 17ac field. Totally underutilised! The sheep only really graze 50% properly so that would be divided 3ways.
    The only thing I'm not 100% on is how long 5ac would last say 40 ewes and there 70 odd lambs. Don't want to be moving them every other day. Would hope to get a week out of it and not return to it for 3 weeks. Someone with better knowledge might know?

MeTheMan wrote: »
    This is something I've been thinking about here. I'm saying around 2ha/5ac. We have around the 90 mark lambing and they will be split into 2 main lots with a 3rd lot of trips/pets.
    Like you said it depends on flock size, but also how easy it is to split the fields. We have a 7ac and a 9ac that I would just split along the drain that runs through them. The 9 would be roughly in half but the 7 would be more like 2ac/5ac. That suits us as the 2ac part would be middle of the farm so it has access to other fields off it. Its no harm if the sheep spend less time in it.
    We also have a 17ac field. Totally underutilised! The sheep only really graze 50% properly so that would be divided 3ways.
    The only thing I'm not 100% on is how long 5ac would last say 40 ewes and there 70 odd lambs. Don't want to be moving them every other day. Would hope to get a week out of it and not return to it for 3 weeks. Someone with better knowledge might know?

About an acre for every twenty to thirty ewes along with their lambs in a bunch seemed to work here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Not too many left making their own anymore. Alot are the same gates imported from abroad.
    There is a good reason for that and believe it or not you farmers are to blame.

wrangler wrote: »
    About an acre for every twenty to thirty ewes along with their lambs in a bunch seemed to work here

One acre kept them a week? Or a day.

MeTheMan wrote: »
    One acre kept them a week? Or a day.

3 - 5 days depending on the time of year, also on fertility and amount of nitrogen.
    In May you'd have good grass 14 days after taking the ewes off........ totally depends on management, The Ideal is to only give them enough for 3 or 4 days as grass starts to grow after that and they're grazing off the new shoots in preference to the 2 week old grass

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

2 acres here, works grand,
    In the 2 and a half acre sections which seem a touch big we'll subdivide them this year, be about 60 or 70 ewes and their lambs in a bunch
    The quicker they move the better imo

• Advertisement

MIKEKC wrote: »
    You seem to place a lot of value on tams grant. I wonder how much these grants are worth at the end of the day?. If you buy without grant you can reclaim the full amount through your tax. If you get grant you can only claim the remaining portion

Tbh I haven’t properly researched the whole TAMS grant at all,just have an inkling that qualifying equipment needs to be ‘permanent’....so wondering how my idea of buying gates you could fix into place when working in yard and then occasionally during year unlock them and use them elsewhere on farm....eg helping to load stock from a field etc would tally with grant specifications?

Would really appreciate people’s thoughts on which type of gates to buy,thoughts on my idea of tightening up sheep in yard using fixed gates to sidewall etc.

Advertisement