Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

5-6weeks old and eating half a pound meal/day for three days

The white dose and Ivermectin gets gloopy after a while but the yellow and zolvix would probably be all right

The white dose and Ivermectin gets gloopy after a while but the yellow and zolvix would probably be all right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Another ewe with texel throat, have lambs going on Monday so might be able to get her away.

Fairly cheesed off with texel x sheep just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

What products are folks using in a walk through footbath? I normally use zinc sulphate but not in a position time wise to use this week.

• Advertisement

formalin is good for a walk through but if used too aften makes the hoof hard.

There's different strengths of formalin so you'd have to ask the seller the recommended dilution

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I thought once they were crossed they were safe enough?
    I used a blue texel ram on my Suffolk cross ewes the last 2 years, no problem with any lambs. Was debating keeping some for breeding, but reading here looks like could be a bad idea?

I assume blue texel are affected by texel throat the same as white ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭somofagun

Have a ewe with mastitis, 2 lambs are still with her but are getting meal. Her udder is starting to detached and is smelling bad. Would I better to cull now and just let the lambs run ( are about 2 months old now) or leave her for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I'd cull straight away if it was me..I doubt the lambs are getting anything from her if she is that bad. The other option is treat her with antibiotics but Will obviously have to wait.out the withdrawal period then..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

I found an unopened 5L Clikzin in the garage. Expiry 11/21

Is it any good to me ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I'd chance it anyway..keep an eye on them afterwards and you will know if it was ineffective.

I can't see how it would harm them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭joe35

I've a ewe with maggots. Normally I'd clip them out of her and then put some dip on them. I've no dip left over from last year and I plan on getting someone in to dip them this year with a mobile dipper.

Question is, if I clip maggots out of her and treat with click, would that work???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Tileman

no clik is preventative and not a cure

Post edited by Tileman on

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Country lad

some jeyes fluid will do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭DJ98

How much meal per head per day would lambs want to be getting?

What age are they.

Have you a creep feeder with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭DJ98

Mid March lambs and creep feeder going out today. Will start them off small but what should they be built up to?

If you're using a creep feeder you may keep meal in it and they'll look after themselves.

If you let it empty for any length of time they'll eat too much when they get it.

Lambs 30 - 35 kgs will eat a kilo /day

They'll be slow to start so don't put too much in the feeder to keep it fresh for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

First bit of fly strike here today. A hogget just swishing the tail. Clipped back and a big lump of maggots just about to break skin. Lucky to catch it as they're at the homeplace and I don't see them as often as I'd like (father checked every day but just to see none have 4 feet up 🤣)

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭roosky

having big trouble here with scald in ewes and lambs, footbathing every two weeks, I’m getting a great response from the footbath for the first 10 days post treatment then a large % start limping again …. Any tips to reduce it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Footbath, seperate out the bad cases for a week and do twice and change all to a new clean field. Creep feeding and congregation in areas will not help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭joe35

Lime around areas where they congregate slows the spread of it. Round licks or drinkers

thanks ya I haven’t put in the creep feeder until I get a handle on the lameness

Was hoping to avoid seperating lame ones because it’s so hard to find the mother/sibling of the lame one now that numbers are starting to fade but I’ll have to try !

would you ask your vet about blanket treatment with a long acting antibiotic.

We injected the ewes with Footvax twice in desperation last October/november , Nothing was working,

We've only one ewe and no lambs lame at the moment, so if this is down to footvax we should have been doing it years ago.

Anyone else finding the same using footvax

I won’t do a blanket antibiotic treatment anyway, I’m completely against that because so many farms are getting antimicrobial resistance when they really need the antibiotic to work so I’ll avoid that route at all costs.

I’ll double down on the footbathing and hopefully I get ahead of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Sand problem here. Always footbathed, every few weeks and no problem. This year despite footbathing, every two weeks ewes still kept getting lame. Used antibiotic and eventually got on top of it after footbathing , weekly.

r every few weeks

I'd agree with you regarding the irresponsible use of antibiotics and worm doses , but I did say to consult your vet,

I've only once blanket injected and it was for abortion and it cured the lameness for the whole housing season as well.

We never got ahead of the lameness last year and it had a huge impact on lamb thrive

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Jimbo789

I generally use Alamycin LA 300mg/ml on the individual lame cases but this year had a few ewes that had to follow up with a second or third injection before they were fully better. I sometimes notice that around lambing time the single injection doesn’t always work, I don’t know if this is due to increased stress on the ewe or increased weight.

Does anyone use Draxxin or any other antibiotic that they find more effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Sami23

I've a lamb that fostering didn't work out so giving him a bottle 4 times a day getting 1.6 to 1.8ltrs in total.

He's getting Red Mills creep also but not eating that much of it for some reason so struggling to build it up as was hoping to wean him off milk when the current bag of frisky is gone. Not much more I can do I suppose. Only concern is I don't creep feed the lambs so when he goes back with the flock it will be only grass he will be getting so hoping he will do ok then.

• Advertisement

I don't know why he's not eating half a pound meal per day unless you're feeding him hay and he's stuffing himself with it.

Also regarding weaning, he won't thrive on grass alone until he's 10 weeks old at least so you may try to keep him eating meal, Lambs are mostly weaned off ewe when they're 12 weeks old plus

Advertisement