Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭DJ98

Stupid question. Do sheep races have to be fixed to the ground if they’ve a pen at each end? Sick of catching store lambs on my own to dose and inject and mark twice.

What type of race have you got memorystick?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Stupid question. Do sheep races have to be fixed to the ground if they’ve a pen at each end? Sick of catching store lambs on my own to dose and inject and mark twice.

If the race is pinned to the big pens and the big pens don't move thats all you want.
    Two ewes trying to get in together will move it if it's not secured

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Ay good idea Wrangler was doing a bitta reading up on training there obviously sit and stay is the main ones you teach before anything else and when u throw toys or a ball use the commands as till which direction you throw it come by for left away for right and let the dog get used till them least i can do all this for now without putting her off or getting hurt. Have her with me everyday she'll run up till the sheep and run back till me not showing no real interest in them as yet just curiosity I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭memorystick

DJ98 wrote: »
    What type of race have you got memorystick?

Pallets and tinkers gates and get them tight in a corner but it’s a pain in the hole.

https://www.donedeal.ie/sheep-for-sale/stockmaster-r90-red-line-sheep-race/22265880

Was thinking of getting something like this. Do I need to bolt these to the ground? They’d be perfect for me with a big pen at each end. Only store lambs. Thanks

Cracked screen. See below

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭memorystick

• Advertisement

Lambman wrote: »
    Ay good idea Wrangler was doing a bitta reading up on training there obviously sit and stay is the main ones you teach before anything else and when u throw toys or a ball use the commands as till which direction you throw it come by for left away for right and let the dog get used till them least i can do all this for now without putting her off or getting hurt. Have her with me everyday she'll run up till the sheep and run back till me not showing no real interest in them as yet just curiosity I'd say.

Never had a sheepdog that'd chase a ball, a few hens is good crack for a pup that's keen

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Lambman wrote: »

Have a lovely wee bitch pup here at the same stage here. Wouldnt put to much pressure on her with work till least 10 months.

Have her sittin and lyin and a good recall. But cant get the stay command progress yet!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Is it 2 weeks or 4 weeks pre-lambing people give the booster vaccine?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Is it 2 weeks or 4 weeks pre-lambing people give the booster vaccine?

4 -6 weeks

wrangler wrote: »
    4 -6 weeks

Thanks - trying to get organised here and my mind went blank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What address do you send the pink slip to for Farm to Farm movement
    Is it the one on the envelope (Celbridge Kildare)?

There was TRu Test clock stolen off a scales in wexford if any one is offered one

Check with local Dept office. I send mine in there but might be different for different counties. Or different depending on who you talk to! So, better to check

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tileman

To your local dvo . Just google the address that covers your county. Only a few of gem now.

How much meal would rams want to keep them ticking over for the winter?

We give them nothing here as long as they have a pick of grass. They get a fistful of cubes for a few days when removed from the ewes, but that's to keep them content and close to the shed as much as build up their condition.

We gave them half a kilo/day each last year and they were fine, There was five on an acre and grass seemed to be growing all winter.
    I'm going to do the same again this year, they might need a bit of straw for roughage as I don't think grass'll be growing as good this year.
    I'd be watching condition all along but they can afford to lose a bit if they;re in good condition now, they pick up condition very quick once grass starts to grow in april.
    If I had any doubts Id increase to a kilo for a while,I use a lamb finisher meal or an intensive lamb, something without magnesium or calcium

We give them nothing here as long as they have a pick of grass. They get a fistful of cubes for a few days when removed from the ewes, but that's to keep them content and close to the shed as much as build up their condition.

What sort of stocking rate/acre would that be at.

What sort of stocking rate/acre would that be at.

Roughly a ram to the acre between now and March

Roughly a ram to the acre between now and March

They don't need much.
    We should have a lot less rams but cant stop OH from buying them, There's a few ould ones from the original flock here too, we've four now, two will be finishing next year

• Advertisement

We gave them half a kilo/day each last year and they were fine, There was five on an acre and grass seemed to be growing all winter.
    I'm going to do the same again this year, they might need a bit of straw for roughage as I don't think grass'll be growing as good this year.
    I'd be watching condition all along but they can afford to lose a bit if they;re in good condition now, they pick up condition very quick once grass starts to grow in april.
    If I had any doubts Id increase to a kilo for a while,I use a lamb finisher meal or an intensive lamb, something without magnesium or calcium

Same as that here. Be in a 2 acre field tho out of the way.

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Same as that here. Be in a 2 acre field tho out of the way.

Rams here are housed uo until the start of lambing, shifted out then to make room for ewes and lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Hi all,

I bought a few feed barriers off leam Agri in Fermanagh but they are made by o donnell in tip.

My issue is that there is €300+ of vat to claim back but I can’t claim it because it was paid in the North and the uk vat number won’t work with revenue.

Does anyone know how I could get around this or is it a lost cause !

TIA

roosky wrote: »
    Hi all,

I bought a few feed barriers off leam Agri in Fermanagh but they are made by o donnell in tip.

My issue is that there is €300+ of vat to claim back but I can’t claim it because it was paid in the North and the uk vat number won’t work with revenue.

Does anyone know how I could get around this or is it a lost cause !

TIA

I'd say it's a lost cause to be honest.

Ard_MC wrote: »
    I'd say it's a lost cause to be honest.

You should be able to get vat back, if you were registered for vat you can get it back from any where in the EU Iknow a oerson that gets vat back on diabled and he's not registered...... your accountant will know any way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

You should be able to get vat back, if you were registered for vat you can get it back from any where in the EU Iknow a oerson that gets vat back on diabled and he's not registered...... your accountant will know any way

Unregistered farmer unfortunately.....might be a dear lesson !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Anybody scanning yet? Fella that keeps a few sheep for his young boys and gets lend of my ram b4 I need him scanned today 16 doubles 2 singles 2 empty. Never asked him but pretty sure he's early enough scanning so them 2 could be in lamb. Was a good scanning for him all hoggets and 2nd lambers Suffolk x

roosky wrote: »
    Unregistered farmer unfortunately.....might be a dear lesson !

There it is discussed on another forum. your supplier should've been more helpful

http://www.forum4farming.com/forum/index.php?threads/reclaiming-vat-in-northern-ireland.17788/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, how long do ye keep the Rams tight for? 2 days enough? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭orm0nd

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads, how long do ye keep the Rams tight for? 2 days enough? Thanks

usually a day here

Advertisement