Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

scanned here on Tuesday, 2.1 in the adults, 1.6 in the ewe lambs, none barren, so can't ask for better than that

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Store lambs after being ran by dogs. No casualties but they’re very unsettled. How long will it take them to quieten down. Getting meal every day.

Feck it. U get the dogs? They will be back if not.

Watch out for pneumonia after that especially if they are near ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭joe35

Had dogs after a batch of 40 ewes this time last year. Found 2 dead, 1 missing and put 1 down as she was in a bad way. Only 17 of them lambed the remaining 19 I put to the mountain to give them another chance. I'm hoping they'll be grand but I put a nic in their ear so I'll know them, if the don't come in lamb. Didn't get any compensation as dog was got a couple of weeks later in another field.

It's an awful sight to see sheep torn by dogs. I'm sick thinking about last year and how it might still effect this year if the don't come in lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭memorystick

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Feck it. U get the dogs? They will be back if not.

Watch out for pneumonia after that especially if they are near ready.

No I didn’t get the dogs. They followed me in for the meal ok but still a little jumpy after two days. There’s always problems of one form or another in farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

Going to start feeding a batch of lambs here at the weekend. There average weight Is around 42kgs. They haven’t got any meal yet just grass so what would lads recommend to start them on each per head and built up to ab lib as the grass is getting scarce now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭arctictree

Good scan here but lots of pets:

69 ewes

0 empty
    8 singles
    37 twins
    22 Trips
    2 with 4

Bought two mad kerry hill hogget rams in October. They seem to have done the job anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

No I didn’t get the dogs. They followed me in for the meal ok but still a little jumpy after two days. There’s always problems of one form or another in farming.

I don't know if it's possible in your situation but I found feeding them twice a day instead of once seemed to get them calm quicker? They were more used to me seeing me twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Anyone see the teagasc profit monitor report for 2018? Popped up on my Facebook. Top 1/3 of sheep farmers making a net profit excluding grants of €31 per ewe or €55 per ha. Depressing really

Anyone see the teagasc profit monitor report for 2018? Popped up on my Facebook. Top 1/3 of sheep farmers making a net profit excluding grants of €31 per ewe or €55 per ha. Depressing really

costs were hgh last year because of the drought, don't know where you got €55/ha most of the top third would be at 10 ewes/ha so €300/ha

wrangler wrote: »
    costs were hgh last year because of the drought, don't know where you got €55/ha most of the top third would be at 10 ewes/ha so €300/ha
    I got the €55 from this table but it makes sense what you say

• Advertisement

I got the €55 from this table but it makes sense what you say

They're basing on 6.6 ewes to the ha. costs per ewe would be very low at that stocking rate, you'd need very little fertiliser and out wintering would be be possible....... figures don't really make sense

They're basing on 6.6 ewes to the ha. costs per ewe would be very low at that stocking rate, you'd need very little fertiliser and out wintering would be be possible....... figures don't really make sense

Just thinking now that’s probably the average figure. The €31 a ewe was for the top 1/3 of farms. Even concentrating on the €31, it’s not very light reading. You’d be hoping for at least €50.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Young95 wrote: »
    Going to start feeding a batch of lambs here at the weekend. There average weight Is around 42kgs. They haven’t got any meal yet just grass so what would lads recommend to start them on each per head and built up to ab lib as the grass is getting scarce now .

Throw out 200g per head and see how they go. Might take a few days for them all to get used to it if they never saw it before. Once they get going on it, you can build up from there.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

That kind of stocking rate might be achievable on ‘good feeding land’ but down our way you have plenty of good operators at sheep and their stocking rate would be no more than 4 ewes per ha......

Like with a lot of things in farming,it’s not necessarily about having huge high stocking rate....it’s as much about having quality stock to sell off the farm when needed/planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone any idea what ewes scanned with twins 9r triplets are making?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

12 Ewes lambed here 3 weeks ago, that weren't supposed to be lambing until next March. These Ewes never got their 10 in 1 vaccine before lambing. Have the ewes or lambs or both to be done with it now? I remember someone telling me before that they should be done 3 weeks after lambing if not got before lambing, but I can't remember if it was the Ewes or lambs that Im supposed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

12 Ewes lambed here 3 weeks ago, that weren't supposed to be lambing until next March. These Ewes never got their 10 in 1 vaccine before lambing. Have the ewes or lambs or both to be done with it now? I remember someone telling me before that they should be done 3 weeks after lambing if not got before lambing, but I can't remember if it was the Ewes or lambs that Im supposed to do.

All of them need doing.

Ard_MC wrote: »
    All of them need doing.

Am I right in saying 3 weeks after lambing? How much of it do lambs need? Using covexin 10.

Am I right in saying 3 weeks after lambing? How much of it do lambs need? Using covexin 10.

Why Covexin 10, Pasteurella Pneumonia is a common cause of losses in sheep and Covexin doesn't cover it, Covexin covers 2 more clostridial diseases than Heptavac P plus but they're very rare.

Covexin dose is 1ml from 2 weeks of age.
    Heptavac p plus is 2ml from 3 weeks of age

Why Covexin 10, Pasteurella Pneumonia is a common cause of losses in sheep and Covexin doesn't cover it, Covexin covers 2 more clostridial diseases than Heptavac P plus but they're very rare.

Covexin dose is 1ml from 2 weeks of age.
    Heptavac p plus is 2ml from 3 weeks of age

Thanks for that. We always used Heptavac P plus up until last year. A lad told me that covexin 10 is a better job as it covers 10 clostridial diseases rather than 8. I always assumed that Covexin 10 covered Pasturella Pneumonia until now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks for that. We always used Heptavac P plus up until last year. A lad told me that covexin 10 is a better job as it covers 10 clostridial diseases rather than 8. I always assumed that Covexin 10 covered Pasturella Pneumonia until now.

Found out the hard way here that Tribovax10 doesn't cover pasturella either. Always use Heptavec P now and no losses since.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭memorystick

Throw out 200g per head and see how they go. Might take a few days for them all to get used to it if they never saw it before. Once they get going on it, you can build up from there.

How much meal should I feed my lambs? Would 25kgs be enough for 43? I’m giving them half a bag per day but don’t mind feeding more.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Had a purebred ewe lambert this evening nice big sturdy bag with nothing in it? Any ideas to help this

390kid wrote: »
    Had a purebred ewe lambert this evening nice big sturdy bag with nothing in it? Any ideas to help this

Oxytocin injection sometimes gets them milking,

Oxytocin injection sometimes gets them milking,

Thanks wrangler Il move meself in the morning to get it

Thanks wrangler Il move meself in the morning to get it

Probably too long lambed at that stage, it only works in maybe 30% of cases anyway.
    It's good idea to have a bottle anyway,
    If a ewe isn't opening properly to lamb, a ml into the muscle and leave for 30 mins does often open them

Probably too long lambed at that stage, it only works in maybe 30% of cases anyway.
    It's good idea to have a bottle anyway,
    If a ewe isn't opening properly to lamb, a ml into the muscle and leave for 30 mins does often open them

Would she let it down after a while ya think or is there anything I could do for her? Never had one do it before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Scanning lowland ewes here tomorrow will be gathering them all today and giving them mineral dose before being kept in over night and fluked dosed in the morning. Started feeding silage 2 weeks ago no problems so far. I had bother last year with pink eye but was easy sorted and I was wondering is there something I can give them till protect against it? Have done away with the round Feeders and have invested in 3x 8x8x8x8 square feeding barriers that I can put bales into leaves alot more room for ewes. Done away with feed buckets aswell and there not getting meal so shouldn't be much contamination.

Would she let it down after a while ya think or is there anything I could do for her? Never had one do it before

If they don't let it down within 12 hours it's usually hopeless after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi All,

When injecting under the skin, where is the best / easiest location to enter. I tries along the neck behind the air but found it fairly difficult. Maybe i am not doing it right.

Advertisement