Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭kk.man

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hi All,

When injecting under the skin, where is the best / easiest location to enter. I tries along the neck behind the air but found it fairly difficult. Maybe i am not doing it right.

I do them in the neck. A fat bit between the shoulder and the ear, about half way. Mine would be in a sheep race when I am doing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Hi All,

When injecting under the skin, where is the best / easiest location to enter. I tries along the neck behind the air but found it fairly difficult. Maybe i am not doing it right.

Clear away the wool out of your way, pinch the skin between 2 fingers and pull it up away from the body and inject below your finger?

Hi All,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have a 3 bay round roof shed here that Im wanting to use for lambing this year, what would be the best way of lighting this type of shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Sami23

DJ98 wrote: »
    Have a 3 bay round roof shed here that Im wanting to use for lambing this year, what would be the best way of lighting this type of shed?

LED tubes. They replaced the old flouresant type

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Attach floodlights to the uprights?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Surprise lamb today , ram didn’t go out until Oct 14th , grand little ewe lamb ..4 month old ram lamb must have tipped the hogget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Scanned yesterday 134 ewes 4 empty 32 singles 92 doubles 6 trips. Very happy with that. I noticed a large number off the single ewes were tipped on 2nd or 3rd raddle with no singles in the first raddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Sami23

Have 3 young Ewes that scanned empty (one a hoggot I bought last year).
    What do people usually do with empties - keep and give another chance next year or cull straight away ?
    If it were old Ewes obviously culling would be the decision straight away

Sami23 wrote: »
    What do people usually do with empties - keep and give another chance next year or cull straight away ?

Had 5 empties here this year and put them back with the ram last week and as of today 4 out of the 5 are raddled, will be late lambs but better than nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Had 5 empties here this year and put them back with the ram last week and as of today 4 out of the 5 are raddled, will be late lambs but better than nothing

My father used to do the same, and it would drive me mad. Nothing I hated more than having 8 or 9 lambs left over while all the rest of the lambs were sold. He used to finish them at grass and they'd pass as early lamb for easter. Looking back on it, they probably left more money than our usual march lamb:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Sami23 wrote: »
    I think I read on here years ago that someone used to give them another chance and majority went in lamb the next year. But speaking for myself, they are culled. They go good enough money that would go along way to paying for a ewe lamb or hogget the following year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Looking at doing sheep census online...

Does anyone know under what link in agfood do you find the census?

Looking at doing sheep census online...

Does anyone know under what link in agfood do you find the census?

Animal events or something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭memorystick

Need to buy silage feeder for hoggets. What’s the JFC bell type like?

Buy 8ft feeding barriers only job no silage wasted and more sheep can eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭memorystick

Not really suitable as they are not in full time. Getting meal in shed but coming in and out.

Had a ewe that was housed yesterday abort her lamb this morning, single, was stress free housing and loads of room, anyone any ideas of the cause and what precautions should be taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Had a ewe that was housed yesterday abort her lamb this morning, single, was stress free housing and loads of room, anyone any ideas of the cause and what precautions should be taken?

Take her away from the others as she probably is still discharging and get rid of afterbirth and foetus, I'd usually send the afterbirth and foetus for Post Mortem.
    It'll probably be only a one off but still nice to know if there's anything cynical there,.
    Are they near lambing, I doubt it has anything to do with the housing, it takes more stress than that to abort them

I mean buy 4 a them So u have a 8x8x8x8 square with bale in the middle I'll put up photo in photo thread. They can be used for anything fit the hurdles and all so easy till make a pen outta them aswell.

• Advertisement

Round bar feeder

wrangler wrote: »

Take her away from the others as she probably is still discharging and get rid of afterbirth and foetus, I'd usually send the afterbirth and foetus for Post Mortem.
    It'll probably be only a one off but still nice to know if there's anything cynical there,.
    Are they near lambing, I doubt it has anything to do with the housing, it takes more stress than that to abort them

Lambing mid March, also there's no sign 9f discharge out of any of the ewes in the pen, struggling to identify which of them it belongs too

Lambing mid March, also there's no sign 9f discharge out of any of the ewes in the pen, struggling to identify which of them it belongs too

Probably no point in isolating her now, bedding is well infected at this stage if it's infectious,

Probably no point in isolating her now, bedding is well infected at this stage if it's infectious,

What would be the best thing to do now, she's in with 10 other ewes, all that's housed yet

What would be the best thing to do now, she's in with 10 other ewes, all that's housed yet

Keep that ten together and don't mix with other ewes until you see what's going to happen, as in whether it's a one off or not.
    if they were still out in the field you mightn't even have noticed her, wildlife would have had the foetus gone

Try to keep them and their bedding separate from the other ewes till after they lamb if you can. If not then clean out the bedding and give a good coat of lime over the floor and penning if you can't powerhose and disinfect them.

The main job now is to mind the rest of the flock. I've sometimes seen ewes abort outside, my vet reckons some of those lambs might not be viable lambs and not to worry too much unless a few more do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭orm0nd

first casualty of '20 , ewe threw premature lamb and then proceeded to put out her intestines, vet was in the yard treating a cow and done the needful

and yes she was a texel X

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

orm0nd wrote: »
    first casualty of '20 , ewe threw premature lamb and then proceeded to put out her intestines, vet was in the yard treating a cow and done the needful

and yes she was a texel X

Sorry to hear that.....are texels more prone to that?

Sorry to hear that.....are texels more prone to that?

It'd be always texel x that'd do it here, when we had 500 lambing here there'd be one nearly every year. so not a huge amount, sickening when you come on them alive and in pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭orm0nd

It'd be always texel x that'd do it here, when we had 500 lambing here there'd be one nearly every year. so not a huge amount, sickening when you come on them alive and in pain

We'd have a higher % than that. Only copped about the texels when you mentioned it some time back.

Lorry man was telling me it runs in blood lines as well.

Advertisement