Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good idea, sligeach. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Generally speaking I quite like Nintendo....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Generally speaking I quite like Nintendo....

You're a known slattern who'll plug his controller into any lump of silicone with a few chips to its name. It means nothing!

I wonder if, after the first couple of weeks they'll be able to keep up with cleaning the blood of so many failed backflipping entrances off the pictures in Peach's palace...

If you like the look of Mario Maker but not the cost of the game or it's respective consoles, consider driving up to Sainsbo's for their classic Mario Bros magnet set. It's Mario Maker on your fridge/dishwasher/oven!

Expensive year ahead for Switch and 3DS owners. I'm going to need to remortgage.

ON0k6SJ.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yup. Definitely.

Mario Rabbids
    Sonic Mania
    Pokken
    Fire Emblem
    Mario Odyssey
    Skyrim
    Rocket League

Probably close to 300 there. Plus others like Steamworld and Oceanhorn. Dammit Nintendo!

• Advertisement

Boiling it back to the essentials, I think I could live with Splatoon and Mario Odyssey.

I loved Hyrule Warriors, but I barely scratched the surface of the content - adventure mode is a life-swallowing commitment. And it dropped in price pretty quickly. I'm going to hold off on FE Warriors. I've never played Skyrim, but I felt there was a massive drop in quality and scope between Morrowind and Oblivion, so I can probably live without it. I don't know what Rocket League is, and I'm probably better off not finding out so I can save the cash.

But then there's Ever Oasis and Metroid on 3DS.... ah feck. Time to bust open the kids' college fund again.

They can do apprenticeships and learn a trade. They'll be fine. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I find myself cooling on new releases for my various formats right now.
    I've just got to make some headway on the myriad I actually already own, before I dive back into the shops once again.
    BotW is still to be finished.
    Still mountains to be done there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Ah just pick them up. They'll look great on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,277 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

NINTENDO LOCALIZERS NOW WORK WITH JAPANESE DEVS TO CENSOR GAMES FOR WESTERN CULTURE

http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/06/nintendo-localizers-now-work-with-japanese-devs-to-censor-games-for-western-culture/33309/

• Advertisement

For those that are looking for the NES Classic Mini experience but missed the party, Hyperkin have a product for you, doesn't look bad either, particularly if you have the carts gathering dust,
    It can use either HDMI or Composite, the latter will let you use your Zapper gun.
    Link to the RetroN HD

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

sligeach wrote: »

I don't get why this is newsworthy, unless you really like your huge chested underage girls in revealing clothing, or to try for crotch shots in games...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Banjo wrote: »
    Boiling it back to the essentials, I think I could live with Splatoon and Mario Odyssey.

I loved Hyrule Warriors, but I barely scratched the surface of the content - adventure mode is a life-swallowing commitment. And it dropped in price pretty quickly. I'm going to hold off on FE Warriors. I've never played Skyrim, but I felt there was a massive drop in quality and scope between Morrowind and Oblivion, so I can probably live without it. I don't know what Rocket League is, and I'm probably better off not finding out so I can save the cash.

But then there's Ever Oasis and Metroid on 3DS.... ah feck. Time to bust open the kids' college fund again.

Rocket League will probably be the cheapest. It's only about 20 across most platforms, and was digital only across PSN, PC, and Xbox Live for a long while, so I can't see it being much more than that on the Switch.

Well, are you saying you don't like huge chested under-age girls in revealing clothing?
    Get out, and leave your Federation of Aging Gamers card at the door!

There is part of me that's upset by this and I don't know why. Am I really pissed off that the Japanese have all seen Tharja's buttcheeks and I haven't? Even though she's a cartoon and I could just draw them myself on a napkin and it would be just as "real"? Or is it that we're so pre-programmed by the left-leaning media to reach for a pitchfork when we see the word "Censor" that we don't stop and think about the context?

So I won't be able to **** my DD sister with my robot mickey in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I think the world will keep turning. But there will always be a part of me that will wonder what if, and lament the inbred banjo-playing cybernephson that will never be....

It's wrong to say this isn't newsworthy though. They're changing games at source. You might agree with some of those changes, but you might not agree with others and now you'll never know what they are. And while you might argue that never knowing makes this anti-news, it's not something I feel we should just accept, because we don't know at this stage how far-reaching and homogenizing the effect of pushing US mores onto Japanese games could be.

On the bright side, this could mean that the violence gets amped up to 12 in keeping with American ideals :D Silver linings...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The only examples of said censorship that I've seen to date have been pretty much exactly that.
    Where they either increase the age of a character, and/or make their costume less revealing.

If that's all that's being decried as foul censorship, then long may it continue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Such a non-article and non-issue. This has been going on for decades without anyone getting their knickers in a twist. The only thing in the article actually worth mentioning is that these changes can happen earlier in development so the changes aren't as obvious eg. proper lip syncing, costumes etc.

Of course, if people want to get bent out of shape over seeing less of animated underage girls than the Japanese audience, go right ahead.

Star Lord wrote: »
    The only examples of said censorship that I've seen to date have been pretty much exactly that.
    Where they either increase the age of a character, and/or make their costume less revealing.

If that's all that's being decried as foul censorship, then long may it continue.
    Rhyme wrote: »
    Such a non-article and non-issue. This has been going on for decades without anyone getting their knickers in a twist. The only thing in the article actually worth mentioning is that these changes can happen earlier in development so the changes aren't as obvious eg. proper lip syncing, costumes etc.

Of course, if people want to get bent out of shape over seeing less of animated underage girls than the Japanese audience, go right ahead.

Exactly these posts.
    Cultural differences between the different markets result in adjusted products for those markets.
    Normal in pretty much every thing that's sold internationally, they are targeted with features unique to the target or with certain things highlighted more.
    No conspiracy.

A good example is the MGS2 and 3 we got in the EU, an improved edition compared to what the home, Japanese market got.
    And, where appropriate, they have removed the sexualisation of children, which is right.
    Modern consoles are now region free, or it's an easy task to import a console that will play the original, so if you really need to have such features in your games, you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Not exactly stop the presses news but I saw on Twitter that Jose Otero is leaving NVC & IGN as he got a job with Nintendo.

Wow, he'll be a loss to NVC. Good at keeping that podcast on the rails.

Good luck to him though. He was always a massive Nintendo fan so it's probably his dream job.

Audrey, then Jose - who's next? :)

I noticed he was missing in the last couple of episodes of NVC and thought it was strange especially in the buildup to and at E3. He's usually the one constant. Now we know why. Nice career progression for Jose. I think he started at 1UP, then to IGN and now Nintendo.

Speaking of NVC, I was listening back to their predictions for E3 and they were wrong on nearly everything. You should have a listen if you missed it. I listen to the Podcasts but they should have a Youtube video as well.

Nintendo E3 2017 Predictions - Nintendo Voice Chat Ep. 359

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYR0M5JPMWQ

And if you watch it, you'll understand why I thought Nintendo didn't have a great E3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Mr E wrote: »
    Wow, he'll be a loss to NVC. Good at keeping that podcast on the rails.

Good luck to him though. He was always a massive Nintendo fan so it's probably his dream job.

Audrey, then Jose - who's next? :)

Rich as well. At least we get Audrey on treehouse. Always remember the first treehouse where she played Yoshi and beat the dog.

Yeah, was reading a tweet from Peer where he said they didn't have him doing anything for e3 for that reason as it would seem unfair

I just listen to the latest NVC. The end of it was hard to listen to - Jose was definitely choked up. It was his last day and they gave him a great sendoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mr E wrote: »
    I just listen to the latest NVC. The end of it was hard to listen to - Jose was definitely choked up. It was his last day and they gave him a great sendoff.

Ya it seemed fairly emotional for him alright. The dream for a games media presenter really. It will be interesting to see what role he takes up with Nintendo, used rightly he'd be a big asset.

Anyone seriously get the feeling Nintendo will absolutely dominate Xmas sales this year? They have been absolutely killing it in the last 12 months IMO. Success of the switch launch in mid March, pretty much saving E3 2017 in general & now the SNES Classic Mini.
    I wonder how much this will impact Microsoft & Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭dunworth1

yes i would agree they could dominate alright but stock issues could hamper them a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

M!Ck^ wrote:
    They have been absolutely killing it in the last 12 months IMO.

Since the switch was launched yeah but before then...bar Pokemon it was grim tbh.
    Their mid gen revision (WiiU to Switch) has been a success. They have the next 18 months or more laid out at least with Mario, Splatoon, Metroid & Pokemon.

Surely a September/October release is a bit early for Christmas? Don't these things start to hit around November normally so they can hit their peak demand in the first week of December when Santy letters are being written and the Toy Show is looming? Unless.... from a strategy point of view, they release the SNES mini in September, fulfill around 30% of demand, the 2nd hand / scalping market goes crazy by the end of October and stews for a month, then 1st of December they announce the entire NES and SNES back catalog available on SNESflix and flood retail with Switch stock. BOOOM! Christmas gets head-shotted.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Since the switch was launched yeah but before then...bar Pokemon it was grim tbh.
    Their mid gen revision (WiiU to Switch) has been a success. They have the next 18 months or more laid out at least with Mario, Splatoon, Metroid & Pokemon.

I don't think the release of brand new hardware can be referred to as a mid gen revision.
    It's nothing like the shift from launch to slim model that we've seen up to now, and nothing like the Sony or MS launch of updated formats, the Switch is a whole new console not an update of the WiiU.
    Nevertheless, the system has been a success, hopefully it will continue to be so, and the games you mention can only propel it higher, assuming they can keep stock rolling into stores.

I couldn't disagree more. The Switch absolutely is a mid generation revision. It's a Wii U made portable, it plays Wii U level games. The Switch games could play on Wii U but Nintendo need to shift hardware in order to sell games.

Now you could say that had the Wii U been successful, then the Switch wouldn't exist. 4 years(it wasn't really 4 years) was not how long people or Nintendo envisaged the Wii U living back in 2012.

But I'm thinking in an alternate reality had the Wii U succeeded, the Switch could have existed, it may in fact have been one of Nintendo's plan. But it wouldn't have been called the Switch, it would have been something like Wii U Portable. A mid generation revamp to get even more people buying the Wii U and attract the handheld gamers into the fray as well as having a 720p screen on the go. It would play all the Wii U games and have all the Wii U's functions. It would of course use cartridges but they'd be no different than the disc games. The hybrid idea was talked about before Wii U came out. They may even have released a 720p gamepad as well.

But the Wii/U brand is toxic so it was decided to start with a clean slate, plus there was enough confusion going from Wii to Wii U. And because it started anew it could do things a bit different than Wii U like bumping up the graphics slightly in docked mode, funny that the Switch performs at Wii U level in handheld mode. Abandon the dual screen idea for one. Come up with the Joy-Con idea instead of the handheld being one solid piece. You can see the Switch is an evolved Wii U minus the toxicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's not a revision at all. It's a different concept and a different machine. The word 'revision' doesn't even lend itself anything close between what the Wii U and the Switch is, Sony and Microsoft have had what you would call revisions. You can argue about the power being similar of course, although the Switch is more powerful from all tear downs performed. Whatever about if the Wii U succeeded or not, the only fact we have is that it didn't, and the Switch came after. The word 'revision' can be used by those that want to make it seem like there isn't much difference between the Wii U and Switch for criticial benefit, and those specifically looking at power, because almost everything else is different about the Switch hardware wise. Going from game discs to cartridges for example isn't some overnight decision that companies would make, it suited the very different structure of the new console.

Advertisement