Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

Huge fan of her work, saw here live a couple of times now and she's brilliant.

Saw the fliers for the expo at Dublin Comic Con at the weekend and wasn't sure about it as an event but know that she's performing and that's there's a significant Arcade and Retro section has me sold.

Sorry about the random quote, just seen this. Those fliers were for Games Expo Ireland which has its own large retro section aswell as Nintendo actually supporting with a presence. Sorry just wanted to clarify as they were not playerxpo fliyers at DCC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

sligeach wrote: »
    Wii Shop channel ending in 2019

Nintendo have just announced that the Wii Shop channel service will be ending on January 31st, 2019. You're able to add funds to the channel until March 27th, 2018. You'll no longer be able to buy games through the Wii or the Wii U after this date, however.

http://nintendoeverything.com/wii-shop-channel-ending-in-2019/

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2017/0929.html

Bit late to the party, but it might be worth picking Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth as the Wii shop is still the only place to get it. Sure, Konami might eventually get around to porting it elsewhere, but that'd assume they're interested in anything other than pachinko machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DADDYBEAR10

hi
    I don't know if im in the right place ,
    just looking for a bit of advice,
    if I bought Nintendo 2dsxl in America with games would irish bought games work on this ?

tia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

hi
    I don't know if im in the right place ,
    just looking for a bit of advice,
    if I bought Nintendo 2dsxl in America with games would irish bought games work on this ?

tia

I'm afraid not, the 2DS (and 3DS) is region-locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I need to get the Breakout Color TV game!
    I have everything else, bar the iQue, Satellaview and the 64DD.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Prepping my stuff for a convention at the weekend, I realise I have the makings of a Goldeneye tournament!
    I've found six N64 controllers so I'm hoping only 2 are duds, then it should be all systems go!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Where's the convention cidey?

I don't want to shill, though I'm a non paid contributor to this one.
    So Google PlayersXpo to see the details.
    I'm producing a retro display

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wasn't there something about Nintendo supporting or having an attendance at that expo for the first time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I don't want to shill, though I'm a non paid contributor to this one.
    So Google PlayersXpo to see the details.
    I'm producing a retro display

Best of luck with it! Are you having 8 player double dash.
    I'd love to go but it's a bit pricey and I'm tapped out for the rest of the year. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wasn't there something about Nintendo supporting or having an attendance at that expo for the first time?

Well its the first year its being put on so...maybe. Would be kinda cool if they did, give us potato-folks a chance to play some Ninty stuff ahead of release without traveling to Gamescom/EGX.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

After googling, any articles I find just say about trying existing games. Unless they have a few surprises. But what unreleased games are shown at expos. Until now it was Mario.

On that note, what's the next big game after Xenoblade?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

CastorTroy wrote: »

there are two gaming expos on soon player expo this weekend and games expo (run by the same guys as DCC)

nintendo are supporting games expo as far as i can make out

It's released games only, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Make unreleased retro games your new thing... ;)

And I'm not talking retro-style, like Shovel Knight and the likes.

I've spent the past five hours trying to set up 31 monitors and an array of retro consoles, not all mine though!
    Exhausted!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I've spent the past five hours trying to set up 31 monitors and an array of retro consoles, not all mine though!
    Exhausted!

Fingers crossed there's a good turn out so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

You are right, Nintendo are officially supporting the Games Expo one, they Nintendo have it on their twitter and fb sponsored posts
    dunworth1 wrote: »
    there are two gaming expos on soon player expo this weekend and games expo (run by the same guys as DCC)

nintendo are supporting games expo as far as i can make out

• Registered Users Posts: 15 buzzinb

kwalsh000 wrote: »
    You are right, Nintendo are officially supporting the Games Expo one, they Nintendo have it on their twitter and fb sponsored posts

Nintendo are at the PlayersXpo event also. Dedicated zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

buzzinb wrote: »
    Nintendo are at the PlayersXpo event also. Dedicated zone.

officially?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MickF1

Nintendo area featuring Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart & Zelda. Come and checkout the switch lounge on level 1.
    dunworth1 wrote: »
    officially?

Finally figured how to use my GC controllers with the Switch via the adapter.
    I went into the "search for controllers", then backed out to the main menu when it just popped into life!

Then played a little bit of Super Mario Odyssey this morning with the Gamecube controller, feels odd to be sure!
    I wonder if the analogue shoulder buttons report accurately to the hardware?
    Could be interesting for future controller developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo's financial results.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/171030e.pdf
    https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html
    https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

Sorry, meant to post this earlier but it completely slipped my mind. Some interesting stuff in there. They've sold 7.6 million Switch's and plan to ship 16.7 million by the end of the first fiscal year(March 2018).

Software numbers

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    4.70 million pcs.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    4.42 million pcs.

Splatoon 2
    3.61 million pcs.

1-2-Switch
    1.37 million pcs.

ARMS
    1.35 million pcs.

Nintendo have made crazy predictions before. Even when Wii U was having heart attacks they kept having optimistic figures only to later continually revise them. Yes the Switch is doing well but I don't think it'll reach that target and I don't think it'll surpass lifetime 3DS sales. And it's fairly bad that a product is missing such basic features for 20-25% of its life.

Nintendo have made crazy predictions before. Even when Wii U was having heart attacks they kept having optimistic figures only to later continually revise them. Yes the Switch is doing well but I don't think it'll reach that target and I don't think it'll surpass lifetime 3DS sales. And it's fairly bad that a product is missing such basic features for 20-25% of its life.

Negative.... again.

Why would 3DS sales now be the metric the Switch must be measured against?
    A bit arbitrary I think.

And, your opinion is ill informed, the Switch is on a great sales trajectory there is no reason to assume this is going to deteriorate, especially coming into it's first holiday season.

And, that final point on the features being missing, perhaps as a Nintendo only owner you are ignorant of the fact that pretty much every modern console since the mid 00's has had an evolving feature list, with things added and removed over time, and the Switch has been no different.

Stop portraying this normal part of a modern console as "bad", it's at best simply mistaken, at worst it's another example of negative reporting with no evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

We're 2-3 generations in to the Mainstreaming of Online Services. There should be no room any more for tentative steps and What Ifs. Standards have been set by those previous generations. Certain features, if they are to be introduced at all, are part of that standard. They should be available at or close to launch. The fact that they can be patched in through software updates distributed via a vast network - instead of, say, having to mail out/sell a disc or peripheral, or have people return their system for a firmware flash, so it's cheap and convenient, has made manufacturers lazy and blasé.

Look, I can understand the argument that, after the WiiU, Nintendo want to have a tight focus on the mission statement for the Switch, and releasing a bunch of ancillary services dilutes that, but those services should still have been ready to go from Day 1 just waiting for a button press once we're sure that the brand and the message are understood by the public.

But they aren't.

Netflix may be ready to go *now*, but there's no sign of a browser (possibly for security reasons), there are no signs of other media services, no uplay or origin intergrations, their own Shopfront is bare bones, the GUI nearly 8 months in is getting very messy now that own more than 4 games and demos. They should have been ready for this, anticipating these needs and problems and staying one step ahead instead of dropping arch comments in interviews that never amount to anything, like a Bond villain with no henchman who hasn't paid his electric bill.

Regarding 3DS numbers - there's no suggestion that there's a replacement for the 3DS in the offing. We all know the Switch is that replacement, we're just waiting till the numbers are good enough that Ninty can make it official. And as such, I think it's ok for Ninty to hope for 3DS numbers and for punters to use those numbers as the bar. However, they should also take into account the amount of double and triple dipping that went on in the 3DS space with the hardware revisions, limited edition casings and the need for multiple consoles for family play that the Switch is unlikely to be able to replicate at it's current price point and with it's expanded functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Negative.... again.

Why would 3DS sales now be the metric the Switch must be measured against?
    A bit arbitrary I think.

And, your opinion is ill informed, the Switch is on a great sales trajectory there is no reason to assume this is going to deteriorate, especially coming into it's first holiday season.

And, that final point on the features being missing, perhaps as a Nintendo only owner you are ignorant of the fact that pretty much every modern console since the mid 00's has had an evolving feature list, with things added and removed over time, and the Switch has been no different.

Stop portraying this normal part of a modern console as "bad", it's at best simply mistaken, at worst it's another example of negative reporting with no evidence.

Not negative, realistic. The Switch is a handheld. The 3DS is the handheld that came out before the Switch, so it's a very suitable comparison. Did the Wii or Wii U lack a browser for a year? Or Virtual Console? I could be wrong but I think Nintendo have blown their load for the first year. Can you name all the big games coming next year? Wolfenstein 2, Kirby, Yoshi. Are they system sellers? Pokemon will be if it releases next year. Metroid Prime 4 won't be out next year and Metroid as much as I love it has never been a system seller. I hope they have big games unannounced. Pikmin 4(again, not a system seller) is somewhere, another game robbed of a Wii U release. SMO too, started life on Wii U.

I see your point Banjo.
    Now put it away before you get arrested.

The thing about online services is that it isn't just a matter of turning it on.
    It's a process that needs to be built properly or it's a source of misery.
    Remember the PS3?
    It seemed to have a serviceable online service, right up to the point that you tried to download something, were forced to download something or compared it to the 360.

You're right, these are older consoles, modern expectations demand a modern service, and a modern service now on a current console, but the Switch is new and taking a new approach compared to Nintendo consoles before, perhaps we should be patient with them?
    Why should we be borderline petulant because the UI wasn't fixed to some ill-defined standard yesterday?

Netflix and Plex would be great to see on the Switch, but I've got at least a dozen devices in my home, portable and otherwise, that can already access these services.
    Surely it's not regrettable to see a games console released with a focus on games, instead of being yet another streaming device/multimedia hub?
    That is the only standard a games console needs to achieve, at least at it's foundations, as a platform for great games.
    If a networking standard can make these games even better, then sure, lets see investment, but otherwise perhaps it's an extra.

But I think it's on the way, the only people "inconvenienced" are those of us who bought one in Year One, and will ultimately represent a significant minority of that body of people to eventually own a Switch, and early adopters have always suffered under the yoke of being early to the party. #firstworldproblems.

I think the use of the 3DS as a metric for Switch success is the persistent misrepresentation of the Switch as a non-Nintendo mainstream console and as a Nintendo handheld instead, as a further stick to beat the demon of disappointment that is Nintendo for them.
    Of course, the Switch IS a mainstream Nintendo console, regardless of it's hybrid nature, but then some mouthpieces wish to persist in this narrative, believing their opinion to possess some entitlement of being a FACT, when it really is just subjective opinion, formed more due to the performance of the WiiU in the marketplace and some sort of ridiculous rage about it.

Not negative, realistic. The Switch is a handheld. The 3DS is the handheld that came out before the Switch, so it's a very suitable comparison. Did the Wii or Wii U lack a browser for a year? Or Virtual Console? I could be wrong but I think Nintendo have blown their load for the first year. Can you name all the big games coming next year? Wolfenstein 2, Kirby, Yoshi. Are they system sellers? Pokemon will be if it releases next year. Metroid Prime 4 won't be out next year and Metroid as much as I love it has never been a system seller. I hope they have big games unannounced. Pikmin 4(again, not a system seller) is somewhere, another game robbed of a Wii U release. SMO too, started life on Wii U.

You're talking rot Sligeach.

And it's just the same old negativity repeated again and again.

You don't own one.
    I no longer care.

I have no interest in correcting everything you say, enough to say it's more seated in your misplaced rage over the WiiU.

Get over it or just keep playing Super Mario World, whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The Switch is a handheld. The 3DS is the handheld that came out before the Switch, so it's a very suitable comparison. Did the Wii or Wii U lack a browser for a year? ... SMO too, started life on Wii U.

Seriously? There's a difference between bringing balanced commentary, and simply posting negative diatribe for the sake of it. I'm glad you're back posting with us, but seriously, give this nonsense a break. The switch is a hybrid console. Your refusal to acknowledge it as being a home console that's also portable is simply belligerence at this stage. You have some good points to make, and you've made them well in other posts. Repeating the same points again and again ad infinitum dilutes your points, and it comes across as talking down to people. Soapboxing in this manner is grating though, and people can only stand so much of that.

Have you anything to back up the SMO comment?

Advertisement