Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

So the niece is turning 7 and she has an interest in Pokemon, been playing GO on her fathers phone. So was thinking about getting her introduced to the games proper and wondering where the best place to start was?. I'm not really up on the games but the little bit of research I've done I was thinking of a 2nd hand GBA SP with FireRed/LeafGreen as these are the original games right?. The backlit SP (101) seems to be a premium, is it worth the extra over the frontlit one (001)?. Or would you guys go a different route/console?. Any advice welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

If you are going that route, you could buy a nintendo ds lite which could play nintendo ds games as well as gameboy advance games giving her access to more of the pokemon series on the DS aswell. i asked a similar question about the 101 in A&R and they suggested the DS lite screeen is somewhere in between the 101 and 001.

If you are going that route, you could buy a nintendo ds lite which could play nintendo ds games as well as gameboy advance games giving her access to more of the pokemon series on the DS aswell. i asked a similar question about the 101 in A&R and they suggested the DS lite screeen is somewhere in between the 101 and 001.
    I didn't know the DS would play GBA games that is definitely a good option thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Joshua J wrote: »
    I didn't know the DS would play GBA games that is definitely a good option thanks.

Just make sure it's a DS lite, the original DS is fugly and the DSi drops the GBA slot.
    You should pick up a DS lite for less than €40,

https://ie.m.webuy.com/search?sPage=1&stext=DS lite&sortOn=sort_by_relevance&sPgSize=25

with a massive catalogue of GBA and DS games out there. Adverts is a great source of such games.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just make sure it's a DS lite, the original DS is fugly and the DSi drops the GBA slot.
    You should pick up a DS lite for less than €40,

https://ie.m.webuy.com/search?sPage=1&stext=DS%20lite&sortOn=sort_by_relevance&sPgSize=25

with a massive catalogue of GBA and DS games out there. Adverts is a great source of such games.

Nice one thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Only thing is... She's seven. You get away with that **** when they're 6 but now she's all grow'd up and knows everything. Don't dig yourself a hole that only a new 2ds and Ultra Sun can dig you out of!

Actually, with the price of the ds games, that might work out cheaper! Plus there's red/blue on eshop

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Slow news day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

That was the longest apprenticeship I've ever seen.

Only good for the shop run that lad.

He plumbs Peach instead now. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    He plumbs Peach instead now. :p

:eek:

While Daisy watches....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Somewhere someplace Bob Hoskins is kicking the ****e out of dead nintendo reps for not doing this 25 years ago.

Wii Shop channel ending in 2019

Nintendo have just announced that the Wii Shop channel service will be ending on January 31st, 2019. You're able to add funds to the channel until March 27th, 2018. You'll no longer be able to buy games through the Wii or the Wii U after this date, however.

http://nintendoeverything.com/wii-shop-channel-ending-in-2019/

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2017/0929.html

sligeach wrote: »
    Wii Shop channel ending in 2019

Nintendo have just announced that the Wii Shop channel service will be ending on January 31st, 2019. You're able to add funds to the channel until March 27th, 2018. You'll no longer be able to buy games through the Wii or the Wii U after this date, however.

http://nintendoeverything.com/wii-shop-channel-ending-in-2019/

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2017/0929.html

Kind of inevitable, and one of the curses of electronic shopping on consoles.
    I raised this a number of years ago, that all those purchases will be of little consequence once the servers come to a stop.
    You are then relying on the company in question to allow you to carry those purchases from format to format, as with Sony and MS in most cases, and so far not at all with Nintendo, one of my biggest gripes with the company.
    It chafes somewhat to download for free a title on the XB1 that I had bought for the 360, but I am expected to rebuy Shovel Knight a third time for the Switch, despite owning it, digitally, on both the 3DS and WiiU.

Kind of inevitable, and one of the curses of electronic shopping on consoles.
    I raised this a number of years ago, that all those purchases will be of little consequence once the servers come to a stop.
    You are then relying on the company in question to allow you to carry those purchases from format to format, as with Sony and MS in most cases, and so far not at all with Nintendo, one of my biggest gripes with the company.
    It chafes somewhat to download for free a title on the XB1 that I had bought for the 360, but I am expected to rebuy Shovel Knight a third time for the Switch, despite owning it, digitally, on both the 3DS and WiiU.

Tbf Sony and MS still have active stores for the 360 & PS3 and are essentially cross platform with PS4 / X1
    The 3DS store is essentially the same thing, I don't buy that excuse that's inevitable

Well, that's fine, but I've got games, carts, that are from the 70's.
    I can still play them, on original hardware but, should that hardware die, I buy another and off I go.
    With a digital storefront, and your console should snuff it in a couple of years, you might be hard pressed to download it again, assuming the title is no longer available.
    To give both Sony and MS their due, so far the PS3/360 stores are there, chugging away.
    Even games that are out of licence, the likes of Outrun 2, is available to those who bought it at the time, as I discovered to my glee recently.
    That said, for how long?
    In another 6 or 7 years it's possible that a lot of this content will be lost as the servers are closed, and then that'll be that, you'll only have it on the consoles it lives on for their lifespan, and given the internals of those consoles aren't the most reliable, I would expect to not yet be finished replacing my PS3 and 360 consoles, I have to hope that the digital storefronts remain available for some time to come, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Who's watching the Nintendo World Championships?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Me. I was planning on just watching bits and pieces but have now been watching from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Someone name me a better year than 2017 for a Nintendo fan

manual_man wrote: »
    Someone name me a better year than 2017 for a Nintendo fan

The mid 90s were pretty awesome....

• Advertisement

1998 Ocarina of Time nothing tops that first time stepping into Hyrule field, or seeing Darunia dance for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

1992, the year I got my gameboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

The mid 90s were pretty awesome....

One single year though. I can't think of one. This year BOTW, Mario Odyssey, MK8 Deluxe, Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids, Doom and Skyrim. And a tonne of great indies. All on the go. Add in a Super Nintendo frickin Mini, Samus Returns on 3DS. Great year

Remember back in 1896 when the switched the Napoleon on the Daitouryou deck from facing right to facing left and EVERYTHING changed. It was electrifying stuff, like a steroided quicken....oh I've said too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So with all those games out this year, what can we expect next year?

Banjo wrote: »
    Remember back in 1896 when the switched the Napoleon on the Daitouryou deck from facing right to facing left and EVERYTHING changed. It was electrifying stuff, like a steroided quicken....oh I've said too much.

Tiny french man was tiny

Great year alright, Angry Birds on the Analytical Engine was fantastic.

manual_man wrote: »
    One single year though. I can't think of one. This year BOTW, Mario Odyssey, MK8 Deluxe, Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids, Doom and Skyrim. And a tonne of great indies. All on the go. Add in a Super Nintendo frickin Mini, Samus Returns on 3DS. Great year

It's pretty great alright.
    But Sligeach still won't buy a Switch!

It's pretty great alright.
    But Sligeach still won't buy a Switch!

Sligeach *is* a Switch. He's been gone a while cause his owner returned him for a left joycon issue. Remember, when he gets back if the Zelda save is gone and he won't rise to amiibo-baiting or take a free juicy-fruit, smother him with a pillow and throw the nearest toilet through the window.

• Advertisement

You need to avoid amphetamine use before posting Banjo.
    Just a word of advice following 27 years working in mental health services.

Advertisement