Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

pasta-solo wrote: »
    HD rumble is not the only selling point of the Switch. And who on earth would want a realistic looking Zelda game?

I mean like Twilight Princess. And I said innovation, not selling point. There's a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

sligeach wrote: »
    Nintendo introduced HD Rumble as their innovation for their second attempt at this generation. I'm sure most people are salivating at the thought of its use in Super Mario Odyssey and the next Zelda Switch game. :|

And while I love BOTW's visuals, they went in large part with that style because a world of the scale with realistic graphics just wouldn't be possible on Nintendo hardware I believe.

The ability to play the same game on the go or on your television is the USP of the Switch, not HD Rumble. If that doesn't appeal to you, that's fine but it clearly has resonated with people a lot more than the Wii U concept ever did.

There's a reason why the previous generation of consoles lasted so long. We're at a stage now where the improvement in graphics is negligible in terms of what it really adds to a game. Mario Kart 8 is still going to look great in 20 years time for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I mean like Twilight Princess. And I said innovation, not selling point. There's a difference.

You said they introduced it as their innovation, implying that was all they were offering (in my opinion). The real innovation of this generation with Nintendo has been just making good, fun games that you can play anywhere, with friends or solo. What more could you need? Power? Xbox has that, and a very boring (again, my opinion) roster of games which just seems pointless to me. Xbox just can't compete against the PS4, or doesn't know how to anyway. (Xbox One X? zzzzz.....)

Its not in Nintendo's interest to compete in that field anymore, nor has it been for a long time. They've been making consoles for roughly 32 years - Wii came out 11 years ago. So for the last third of Nintendo's life, being the most powerful console has not been something they've cared about. It worked wonders with the Wii, not so great with the Wii U, and looks promising for the Switch. Same in the handheld market - PSP and Vita were more powerful than the DS and 3DS, but where are they now? Bargain bins.

So, while it would be nice if huge games like Red Dead Redemption 2 or whatever were coming to the Switch, truth is its never gonna happen and Nintendo don't care. They're not after that market anymore. They've carved out a nice niche in the gaming market, which is currently profitable and suits their business ethos or whatever. If it doesn't work out, they'll adapt or go under, but at the moment, they're golden!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you look at the interviews with the big in-house nintyheads, they keep talking about HD rumble the way the used to go on about the 2 screens on the WiiU. I.e. this is the gimic they're going to shoehorn into every game whether it's a good fit or not just because it's an option. If MK8 Deluxe had HD Rumble, I'm not a fan...

I don't see that as their big innovation, I don't think the Switch is particularly innovative, it's more of a refinement of some of the cooler things they got right in the last few gens, but it appears that they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I was minding kids over the weekend and as such was watching quite a bit of cartoon network I was very surprised at how many ads Nintendo have running
    for the 3ds and the new 2ds most of the time there were two 3ds ads running during the ad break. I did notice that there was absolutely zero mention of the switch which i was a bit disappointed by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

dunworth1 wrote: »
    I was minding kids over the weekend and as such was watching quite a bit of cartoon network I was very surprised at how many ads Nintendo have running
    for the 3ds and the new 2ds most of the time there were two 3ds ads running during the ad break. I did notice that there was absolutely zero mention of the switch which i was a bit disappointed by

They seem to be pushing it towards adults this time around, trying to shake the kiddie label.

Where are the these Switch ads? 4 months on and I am still waiting to see the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Where are the these Switch ads? 4 months on and I am still waiting to see the first one.

I barely watch tv lately and I've seen plenty of switch ads. I've seen as many, if not more, ads concerning the switch as the other consoles.

I've yet to see them either, but I don't watch much live TV now a days unless there's a match on

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I barely watch tv lately and I've seen plenty of switch ads. I've seen as many, if not more, ads concerning the switch as the other consoles.

Out of interest, what channels??

• Advertisement

I wonder is it actually worth it to have TV adds anymore. I don't remember seeing any for MS or PS4, bar the odd game.

Their target audience has an internet device nowadays.

I've seen loads for XB1 but more, infinitely more PS4 ads. It's crazy how much money they must spend on advertising.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Can't remember exactly but I would say sky Atlantic, watch and maybe channel 4.
    Maybe fx as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭geotrig

fox and syfy definitely have them(switch ads) maybe sky atlantic and watch as well and all in between some prominent shows ,think ive seen them on ch4 and some of the kids channels at times as well, the 3ds and 2ds do seem to feature a bit more on the kids channels though at the moment.

Im not sure when i've last seen or if ive seen an xbone ad, ps4 every now and again alright and i dont watch a whole lot of tv !!

@sliegeach I'm fairly sure your tv needs to be turned on to see the ads although you havent seen any ad and seem to know everything about it so the marketing must be working !!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I've seen a good few Switch ads over the past few months, mostly for Breath of the Wild and MarioKart. Trying to think of the specific channels now, it must have been either Sky News, Chart TV or similar music channels, or the Horror Channel, as they're the main ones I watch (along with BBC4 but that has no ads). :)

Adds are so 1997. When I see a console add, I think...

"Pah! I bet their selling point is an integrated multi-tap and a remaster of Porsche Challenge and Die Hard Trilogy."

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The only ads I see these days are on YouTube, on my phone between levels of freemium games, or that flippin' American Gods ad every time I open a stream on Twitch.

I'd like to think the increased tv presence is down to me filling out the TV option on all those Nintendo points surveys.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I normally only watch Fox late at night for Family Guy/American Dad etc and have seen plenty of ad's for the switch on their ad breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I saw switch ads on some of the kids channels as well like Kix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

As has been said plenty of times here there's been loads of ads on the UK channels. Already saw an Arms ad and a 1,2 Switch ad today.

Nintendo have also stepped up their advertising in the US. They spent the most out of any of the companies in June.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/07/08/nintendo-dominates-gaming-brands-in-junes-tv-advertising/

Today is the 2nd anniversary of Satoru Iwata's untimely passing.
    tumblr_osqehm34e21s2z1y6o3_r2_1280.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Such a sad day, and a measure of the contribution he made to all those men and women who worked for Nintendo and those who bought into Nintendo's vision.
    As much as Nintendo is a corporation that exists to make a profit, it also exists to make an experience the people want, and Iwata-san was an important part of that.

It doesn't seem like two years!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Inviere wrote: »
    VR support? Wut??

Arcade VR... Not switch!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I see that Mike Ashley (Sports Direct) has purchased a 25% stake in GAME. GAME seems to have a bad reputation in the UK the last few years, even though I miss them here in Ireland, but for any employees working there that's even worse news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

Star Lord wrote: »
    Arcade VR... Not switch!

Ah, cool. I wonder what the hardware is underneath

Advertisement