Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift spins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Good race again for me today, have points now in first two races in the A cat. Someone asked about w/kg for various periods, i've attached some data from my race today

In summary:
    First 1min - 6.25w/kg
    First 5min - 5.03w/kh
    First 10min - 4.75w/kg
    Overall - 4.6w/kg

The key is to get there early so you're not starting too far back. I was there about 10mins or so before race.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3252758995

Also i experienced first hand today how important a good fan is! Id been using an okish fan the past few months as wasnt bothered taking out the large fan i have. I felt far better today and see id a much lower HR average dispite better power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I have to say after the calamity of yesterdays race I'm looking forward to another race today and hopfully I dont fall off ... ha ha ...

Theres something about being in a race to push me to a different level. After my 7 day trial I'm defo signing up for month anyway.

I'm still not to sure what the levels ABCD I'm at.

I figure I'm at level D .... my average power watts for a hour cycle is around 237 watts .... I'm 44 years young and weigh about 13 stone...

Can someone in the know clarify this please.

That 237 average for an hour your max effort for an hour? If so then you are at about 2.9w/kg which in zwift guide sits in C cat:

https://zwift.com/news/12012-zwift-how-to-choose-your-cycling-race-category/
    These are the most common category boundaries:

A = 4.0 w/kg and above
    B = 3.2-3.9 w/kg
    C = 2.5-3.1 w/kg
    D = 2.4 w/kg and below

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

fat bloke wrote: »
    Another general Q about Zwift if I may. - What's it like on Broadband resources? Is it hungry?

Apparently 3Mbps DL speed is desired. That might be if you have the resolution set to high...mine is set to low to save bandwidth. Our rural broadband is not too good or reliable...
    Had to decide this afternoon before the Haute Route event whether to go with my broadband, or use 4G hotspot through my phone perched on the top of my shed window! I went with the phone as I was getting a lot of crap speeds with the broadband, in the region of 1.8 or 2mbps... Sometimes up at 4 or 5mb but with all the effort of riding that event I didn't want to be dropped out or lose it.
    If you've 3 or more and it's steady then would be fine I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

Did my first race today, enjoyed it, didnt realize just how balls out you have to go at the start and its basically hold on for dear life! Happy with it, 16th I think in the C cat. 3.1W/kg avg. The standard was high!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That was some crack today. Compared to last year I've over 5kg heavier, one of the heaviest there today and don't have the head or time for it at the moment so this was perfect, hop on the bike in the garage and go for it.
    I've one of the original beta testers of Zwift from June 2015 when only 15-20 of us were on the one course they had with 100's of ghost riders.
    Today was the first organised race I did and it was great for the spirit in these s9f99te times that we are in at the moment.

Got absolutely handed my ass but I expected that fully. Averaged 260 watts but because I'm over 100kg then my watts/kg isn't good enough to get a right placing in C grade.
    The start was chaos with riders, bikes without riders, swaying in and out, it was chaos.
    Its a pity they didn't separate the various grades to lessen the visual impact.

But all in all I feel great for getting and doing it. Will keep me buzzing for the rest of the dark week ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

yop wrote: »
    That was some crack today. Compared to last year I've over 5kg heavier, one of the heaviest there today and don't have the head or time for it at the moment so this was perfect, hop on the bike in the garage and go for it.
    I've one of the original beta testers of Zwift from June 2015 when only 15-20 of us were on the one course they had with 100's of ghost riders.
    Today was the first organised race I did and it was great for the spirit in these s9f99te times that we are in at the moment.

Got absolutely handed my ass but I expected that fully. Averaged 260 watts but because I'm over 100kg then my watts/kg isn't good enough to get a right placing in C grade.
    The start was chaos with riders, bikes without riders, swaying in and out, it was chaos.
    Its a pity they didn't separate the various grades to lessen the visual impact.

But all in all I feel great for getting and doing it. Will keep me buzzing for the rest of the dark week ahead.

Don’t understand why they don’t do separate races when there’s over 1300 starters, it’s not like they need to find an extra lead car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So, I may start another thread as I'm going through zwift alternatives as well as zwift.

Rgt cycling as been good, but never more than a few dozen people on it when I've used it. Handful of Irish on it, some UK, German , french, American and Canadian.

Think there are definitely busier times and there bots on it.

Did big ring vr today instead. I enjoyed it more than I expected.

OneLap (Chinese zwift) now requires a sub. The original didn't and was pretty good imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I've mentioned this one before but here you go again anyway
    Different to Zwift, this one is HD videos. Quite a lot of famous TDF/Giro/Vuelta climbs along with plenty of other less well known routes.
    Still free as its still in Beta. Devs very responsive in the feedback channels.
    https://cms.bikethe.world/

I tried it, picked up my power meter and trainer etc, but nothing happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Was looking forward to yesterday race as really enjoyed the 1st race, only D races but helps u push yourself. I was in d race 15min before it started and 2min I got kicked.
    Did this happen to anyone, and does anyone know if it happens again can you get into d race again

Did a race today. Team ZWC hill climb battle.

Think I just about shaded into the C category so went for that. Finished 13th in cat and 88th or 71st overall, not sure .

Definitely people entering themselves into the wrong categories though, because you know, winning is everything

First time using Zwift in 2 years. It's upped it's game in terms of the companion app. Well ahead of RGT etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

If anyone has alot of time on their hands, there'll be this coming up in June, open to all....

https://road.cc/content/news/virtual-race-across-america-take-place-272477?fbclid=IwAR2BHxigyHQckxOTN586SGlOoDtQThlzll3wg2GuJZTjiB-j8Wq7Wwqbl-8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Weepsie wrote: »
    Did a race today. Team ZWC hill climb battle.

Think I just about shaded into the C category so went for that. Finished 13th in cat and 88th or 71st overall, not sure .

Definitely people entering themselves into the wrong categories though, because you know, winning is everything

First time using Zwift in 2 years. It's upped it's game in terms of the companion app. Well ahead of RGT etc

yeah, i really dont understand that. I dont take the raicng too seriously, although I do find i dig deeper in the races....

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Most shorter zwift races start as a sprint and hold for dear life. However those, that are 70km+ tend to start a lot calmer. Wonder if CI will gradually pick harder or/and longer courses each week?

I agree, they should separate groups. Hard to race something when you never see the front. Opening gaps at the start are terminal...

I just hope they don't do the Alp or crazy long climbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

nordicb wrote: »
    Most shorter zwift races start as a sprint and hold for dear life. However those, that are 70km+ tend to start a lot calmer. Wonder if CI will gradually pick harder or/and longer courses each week?

I agree, they should separate groups. Hard to race something when you never see the front. Opening gaps at the start are terminal...

All the 100+km races I've done or at least attempted all start the same way. Even the Haute Route yesterday which was 70+km was a 600-700 watt start and then anywhere from 320-390 for the next 5 minutes before realising I had a 4 hour endurance ride on the cards. Really depends how many 20kg riders turn up.

Bambaata wrote: »
    I just hope they don't do the Alp or crazy long climbs!

I'd actually prefer if they did. I can hold higher watts for longer on the big climbs than the constant spurts and changes in the flatter routes.

I fear my weight will hamper me more than it does on the short sharp climbs that we've had so far. There'd be little to no drafting effect too and id also guess we'd see a lot more weight dopers than we've seen so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Might try a race later or tomorrow. I'm a slow overweight club rider. But if Cat D really is a max of 2.4 w/kg I reckon I can hold that for a few mins at least, or longer. Let's see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Have CI issued results for round 2 yet? I didn't see anything on FB.
    ZPower has me inside the top 50 C so I am hoping the filtered list removes the top 45 or so!!!

I fear my weight will hamper me more than it does on the short sharp climbs that we've had so far. There'd be little to no drafting effect too and id also guess we'd see a lot more weight dopers than we've seen so far!

Its a bit pathetic to see that kind of thing going on. Hopefully CI will take a quick glance at the weights on Zwift Power and if there's any questionable numbers they'll exclude the riders.
    On a more personal level, it's a bit depressing seeing my stats from 2 years ago and realising I had no problem dropping to 70kg but can't get there now for love nor money.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I'd actually prefer if they did. I can hold higher watts for longer on the big climbs than the constant spurts and changes in the flatter routes.

I did that on a race today. I think it helped someone like me. Not a racer by any stretch of the imagination but I can suffer a bit, so once I got chewed up having led briefly for about 20 metres, I had a battle among those in the 50-75 places

Might try a race later or tomorrow. I'm a slow overweight club rider. But if Cat D really is a max of 2.4 w/kg I reckon I can hold that for a few mins at least, or longer. Let's see

That's the idea, but the CAT D top 10 earlier had people who would be placing in the top 25 overall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weepsie wrote: »
    That's the idea, but the CAT D top 10 earlier had people who would be placing in the top 25 overall.

Zwiftpower seems to sort most of that out if you sign up

Well I ended up racing the Alp tonight with a small meetup group. Set a nice 60min power record for the race and a 42min on the Alp which is a lot faster than i thought I'd manage on it! I dont want to have to repeat it anytime soon though.

42 minutes!! Jaysus...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Well I ended up racing the Alp tonight with a small meetup group. Set a nice 60min power record for the race and a 42min on the Alp which is a lot faster than i thought I'd manage on it! I dont want to have to repeat it anytime soon though.

At 42mins on the alp I was seeing how much I could get for my trainer and was a long way from the top :D

Savage effort well done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've done a few of the RGT courses. Did the Paterberg laps tonight and was looking at their all time leader board. 300w's ish gets you up the Paterberg ramp in something under 2 mins say. The top time is a shade over 1 second...

:D I don't know how you would even cheat that. If you put your body weight down as 1gram and did a 1000w standing start single pedal revolution - would that do it?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    At 42mins on the alp I was seeing how much I could get for my trainer and was a long way from the top :D

Savage effort well done
    Did Haute Route on Saturday and was the same. Although as per JimmiesRustled's post, it was pretty much full on from the start. Can only imagine what a race is like.

An Uber Pretzel popped up as an event on Saturday. Kinda tempted...

Advertisement