Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift spins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Has anyone noticed that every Zwift group ride seems to involve the ride leader complaining constantly that half the group is well ahead of the advertised pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Bambaata wrote: »
    Still feeling it :o

Yep, me too
    bX0KUd0_d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Has anyone noticed that every Zwift group ride seems to involve the ride leader complaining constantly that half the group is well ahead of the advertised pace?

The fence was handy for that. Seems to be gone for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I did the Cycling Ireland Zwift league race this morning. Pure slaughter. Entered the B cat which was roughly A3 looking at the names I recognised on screen and definitely above my grade. Managed to hang with the front bunch for about 3/4 of a lap then drifted badly back for a few minutes before giving it another good lash for the last 15km or so. Well done everyone who took part.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3226918577

I nearly sat up a couple of times as the pace was unrelenting, I saw you were in the same group which help me fight on longer than I would have. Think we finished in the same group at the end.

I hadn't coped you had to join the CIZL team as well so not sure if my result will count for that race.

Crocked wrote: »
    I nearly sat up a couple of times as the pace was unrelenting, I saw you were in the same group which help me fight on longer than I would have. Think we finished in the same group at the end.

I hadn't coped you had to join the CIZL team as well so not sure if my result will count for that race.

Are they regular zwift races that anyone can join that CI are piggybacking on?(I’m not CI)
    If so anyone got a schedule

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Are they regular zwift races that anyone can join that CI are piggybacking on?(I’m not CI)
    If so anyone got a schedule

Download the Zwift companion app, filter for racs in your cat, there are loads every single day.

If you were in the same group as me I think we're outside the points tbh :D
    There's a bit of uncertainty about the need to join CIZL, I think it's mainly to make it easier to filter the results but at the end of the day C.I. have the list of names so they'll be cross checking the full results to get their own list

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Is there a way to limit the riders you can see on zwift? I took a spin in there this morning, first time since this whole corona pandemic reared it's head and sweet baby jebus it was like dodgems just bouncing along off other avatars. On the other hand it was easy to pick up groups but also easily lost as you wade through a mire of bodies.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Download the Zwift companion app, filter for racs in your cat, there are loads every single day.

Ah I know that- been using Zwift a few years- my question is related to the CI races- are they exclusive or can anyone join?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Is there a way to limit the riders you can see on zwift? I took a spin in there this morning, first time since this whole corona pandemic reared it's head and sweet baby jebus it was like dodgems just bouncing along off other avatars. On the other hand it was easy to pick up groups but also easily lost as you wade through a mire of bodies.

Zwift had its highest number of concurrent users ever, 20,000, and rising!

Just under 24,000 now...

Zwift need to unlock more worlds, having just two isn't enough...

• Advertisement

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Ah I know that- been using Zwift a few years- my question is related to the CI races- are they exclusive or can anyone join?
    So far they are open races, and CI are using zwift power to pull and filter data. So yes, anyone can race, you will just be excluded from the official CI results which are another layer.

CramCycle wrote: »
    So far they are open races, and CI are using zwift power to pull and filter data. So yes, anyone can race, you will just be excluded from the official CI results which are another layer.

Perfect i might try one so- I used do a bit of racing on Zwift and it was crazy stuff altogether. I’m trying not to stress the body too much though at the moment though with this virus knocking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Daroxtar wrote: »
    If you were in the same group as me I think we're outside the points tbh :D
    There's a bit of uncertainty about the need to join CIZL, I think it's mainly to make it easier to filter the results but at the end of the day C.I. have the list of names so they'll be cross checking the full results to get their own list

I hoped they'd run the points right down the field, seeing as it'd be easy to do, so that those of us not at the pointy end would have targets to chase/beat throughout the series.

To be honest I didn't pay much attention to how it all worked as won't be near the front. It's more the bit of novelty having some club mates etc in the race rather than the usual mess that is Zwift racing.

I hoped they'd run the points right down the field, seeing as it'd be easy to do, so that those of us not at the pointy end would have targets to chase/beat throughout the series.

To be honest I didn't pay much attention to how it all worked as won't be near the front. It's more the bit of novelty having some club mates etc in the race rather than the usual mess that is Zwift racing.

Ya, definitely. My clubmate was in the same group as us all the way, plenty of banter on the WhatsApp beforehand. He jumped at the end and beat me by 2 seconds. The gauntlet is well and truly thrown down for next week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Did the C race and enjoyed it, looks like lots of lads and lassies will be bumped to B for their efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Did my first Zwift Race yesterday and got a proper kicking. :D

I was warned about the pace at the start but that was insane! Got there early and ended up leading it out which was a terrible idea. Lads putting out some serious power for a C Race. Got dropped by 3 groups within 5k - just couldn't get in a draft. After that it was just me and small group for the rest of the race.

Good fun and a great workout. Once I'm recovered I'll try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I find you need to be at about 5.5-7w/kg to hang in at the start. I see plenty of guys going full sprint >9w/kg) but they don't seem to get away from me keeping it somewhat under control. Also worth getting a slight jump on guys over short climbs, I generally start my effort just before the climb so you get a slight head start before people go crazy! I think the key is to go hard but only just hard enough to keep you in there. Plenty go too hard too often and cant last the distance

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Same as that, had first race last week.

Generally how long does the madness last at the start before it settles down?

Will try again this week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

It typically settles down after the race finishes... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

niallo32 wrote: »
    Same as that, had first race last week.

Generally how long does the madness last at the start before it settles down?

Will try again this week

For C
    4.5w/kg for the first minute,
    then 4 for minute 2 to 3,
    then 3.5 between minute 3 and 5
    You will be in the first group then just hold on!

I normally get spat out around 10mins in and grab the next group coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

For C
    4.5w/kg for the first minute,
    then 4 for minute 2 to 3,
    then 3.5 between minute 3 and 5
    You will be in the first group then just hold on!

I normally get spat out around 10mins in and grab the next group coming.

Cheers, good to have a ball park anyway!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I had a false start with road grand tours the other day, but got it going today, did Ventoux(while half way) and down.

Worked well, would be better if I had a bigger screen.

Also did a bit of the Amstel Gold course on Big Ring VR. One moment when a fly landed on th camera and a truck cane close that actually made me do a double take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Finished 5th in a crit race last night. Was in the hunt until my trainer came off the protective floor mats and I had to stop for 20 seconds.

Obviously the power is not probably accurate but is the speed?
    It was the hardest indoor training I’d ever done and it was going like the clappers from the start so the effort was very very real.

https://strava.app.link/me3Uogvak5

I am using an unsupported turbo with cadence and speed sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Finished 5th in a crit race last night. Was in the hunt until my trainer came off the protective floor mats and I had to stop for 20 seconds.

It was the hardest indoor training I’d ever done and it was going like the clappers from the start so the effort was very very real.

Sigh of relief on behalf of all the people who told you that you should be racing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It's hard to be accurate at all without some for of power meter, even the smart trainers have been known to be off when compared to actual power meters. When you see these guys whizzing along like they're on motorbikes they're usually using a similar set up. Stopping for 20s in a crit would normally be game over I'd assume.

My limted experience has been that is is a sufferfest, the power seems to be what I expected for the pain I was in but the speeds Zwift were calculating were far faster than what I would have experienced on Irish Roads. The only time I had similar was over in France on good roads, maybe thats the issue, maybe alot of Irish Amateurs are Pro Conti level but our s1tty roads make us think we are slow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

What weight are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What's the story with using a semi smart turbo on zwift? I have an elite muin ii. I haven't really been ar$ed about Zwift at all, but I am slightly curious. But, as far as I understand it, on the likes of my turbo I can transmit power data via the turbo or preferably through my garmin pedals, but the turbo can't take any cues from the zwift software in terms of changing resistance based on terrain elevation or drafting etc. I also can't transmit any speed data cos there is no spinning rear wheel to put the speed sensor on and the front wheel is stationary.

So - how does that actually translate then for me compared to everyone else? Does it just flatten the course for me and negate any downhill /uphill advantage?

Would I be better off on a set of rollers where I could be transmitting both Garmin speed and power?

daragh_ wrote: »
    Sigh of relief on behalf of all the people who told you that you should be racing

I am now Daragh. Just in a safer environment 😀

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It's hard to be accurate at all without some for of power meter, even the smart trainers have been known to be off when compared to actual power meters. When you see these guys whizzing along like they're on motorbikes they're usually using a similar set up. Stopping for 20s in a crit would normally be game over I'd assume.

Yeah it was game over and I ended up being behind the winner by more than that so I’d like to know what set up they had. The effort was definitely real. I mean flat out for nearly 40 minutes.

Advertisement