Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift spins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

fat bloke wrote: »
    I've done a few of the RGT courses. Did the Paterberg laps tonight and was looking at their all time leader board. 300w's ish gets you up the Paterberg ramp in something under 2 mins say. The top time is a shade over 1 second...

:D I don't know how you would even cheat that. If you put your body weight down as 1gram and did a 1000w standing start single pedal revolution - would that do it?! :D

Let me know how you get ion with that 1000w standing start!

I've tried doing sprint workouts on the Wahoo Kickr to find that I literally stop dead when the 1000w+ rep kicks in in erg mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Am I better off going for an ANT sensor (to use with my Garmin HRM) or a new bluetooth HRM?

Using Tacx Flux on Windows 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭jamesd

Am I better off going for an ANT sensor (to use with my Garmin HRM) or a new bluetooth HRM?

Using Tacx Flux on Windows 10.

Id go with the ANT.

I see it's a flat one this Saturday for the CI race! It's going to be hard for any small groups to get away. It'll be important to get established in that early selection which I fear will mean an even harder opening 5mins to anything we've seen so far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bambaata wrote: »
    I see it's a flat one this Saturday for the CI race! It's going to be hard for any small groups to get away. It'll be important to get established in that early selection which I fear will mean an even harder opening 5mins to anything we've seen so far.

Arrive early and hold 500W for the first few minutes, easy (for some) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

CramCycle wrote: »
    Zwiftpower seems to sort most of that out if you sign up

I've done this and it's bumped me up to b category.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

https://zwift.com/events/view/471803 - hare and hound (handicap) race tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Jasus...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Was much happier this week, improved to 2.4w/kg today comapred to 2.0w/kg last week. Not a lot compared to the numbers everyone else is putting out but great for me :)

Also the route today was around where I do my running when I'm over in London, so that was pretty cool

Woop more points today and beat Thomas de Gendt at the line :D Easier today but for that last lap! Managed to catch the break, knew it was going to go as we hit last lap and was ready for it. 3 races in and points in all :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/3282979017/overview

• Advertisement

Every bit of that was awful. I am thinking they might be better if they put the As, Bs, Cs and Ds in seperate races. Surely would make it easier to manage results wise as well. I went from 1100 to 300 back to 800 back to 800 in the fist few minutes, it was mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Looking for a bit of help with Zwift. I’ve just got a new speed/cadence Bluetooth sensor and I’ve paired them with Zwift using just a set of tacx rollers. I have the 25km free trial but when I start on the bike my avatar doesn’t move. Anyone have any idea what’s wrong? I’m using an iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I've mixed thoughts with the separate starts. The winners of the B and C categories obviously benefitted from being pulled along with faster groups but if you're good enough to jump into the front bunch for long enough to get away and then stay away, you deserve your win.
    I nearly quit after the first lap and again several times afterwards, just about held off a cramp in the last 2 laps. Think I was 44th in the end. Pure hardship but I keep telling myself it'll do me good in the long run.

Looking for a bit of help with Zwift. I’ve just got a new speed/cadence Bluetooth sensor and I’ve paired them with Zwift using just a set of tacx rollers. I have the 25km free trial but when I start on the bike my avatar doesn’t move. Anyone have any idea what’s wrong? I’m using an iPad.
    If they are pairing and registering movement (spin a bit while it is pairing, you should see a number on the pairing screen), have you picked a trainer on the next screen? Only two issues I could think off. happens with my HRM, it pairs but Zwift/laptop doesn't recieve data on occasion.
    Daroxtar wrote: »
    I've mixed thoughts with the separate starts. The winners of the B and C categories obviously benefitted from being pulled along with faster groups but if you're good enough to jump into the front bunch for long enough to get away and then stay away, you deserve your win.
    I nearly quit after the first lap and again several times afterwards, just about held off a cramp in the last 2 laps. Think I was 44th in the end. Pure hardship but I keep telling myself it'll do me good in the long run.
    They definetly deserve it and I don't think that mass start or seperate will make a difference to my position. Just might make it a little less chaotic on screen. It is funny the mental fortitude it breeds, if I was as far back in a road race as I was in Zwift I would have peeled off after the second lap. As for holding onto the front, I'll actually arrive early next week and warm up properly. I thought you could only be there 15 minutes before so was surprised to arrive with 15minutes to go and have a few hundred already there. It was nice to have the race over before the other half got out of bed.

If they are pairing and registering movement (spin a bit while it is pairing, you should see a number on the pairing screen), have you picked a trainer on the next screen? Only two issues I could think off. happens with my HRM, it pairs but Zwift/laptop doesn't recieve data on occasion.

They definetly deserve it and I don't think that mass start or seperate will make a difference to my position. Just might make it a little less chaotic on screen. It is funny the mental fortitude it breeds, if I was as far back in a road race as I was in Zwift I would have peeled off after the second lap. As for holding onto the front, I'll actually arrive early next week and warm up properly. I thought you could only be there 15 minutes before so was surprised to arrive with 15minutes to go and have a few hundred already there. It was nice to have the race over before the other half got out of bed.

Yeah they pair and show readings on pair page. I picked unsupported rollers. When I actually start though there’s nothing happening.

Yeah they pair and show readings on pair page. I picked unsupported rollers. When I actually start though there’s nothing happening.

Are there any supported rollers and try them?

I'm just wondering now, does this kind of hell for leather exercise become too much, should I maybe focus on structured training?
    I haven't done any long spins yet but I've been on the bike almost every day for the last 2 weeks. A couple of Zwift races, full pelt for between 30-50 minutes, same amount of climbing spins with long intervals at or near threshold and 2 quick blasts out the road and around the block for half an hour.
    Before the lockdown I was genuinely in flying form out on the road. I'm still feeling in good shape. I've definitely not lost any power but I'm worried the endurance might drop off or will the short, high intensity stuff see me through the next few weeks? I really don't fancy 3 hours fluting around on Zwift

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I suppose this morning was technically my second event, after last Saturdays Haute Route, but this was my first with my new apple TV set up. A massive difference over trying to cast from my phone anyway. First Strava Gran Fondo badge of the year, as up to lockdown I was gravelling!

https://www.strava.com/activities/3283402467

35 km just milling about. Desperately need to order a fan.

I get through 2 bottles of water in an hour on the turbo when I hat would often do me 4 in the real world, though maybe not on a day like today.

Gunning for a zwift gran Fondo I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

anybody doing the Nico Roche CI spin in the morning? Seems to be again just jumping on the back of an already organised event (bit annoying the governing UCI body can't somehow have their own events), but apart from wearing a green jersey I'm not sure how the logistics of it will work. CI say that Nico will lead the ride, so I assume he'll have the beacon.
    Also then registering specifically with CI wouldn't be enough I guess...you'd have to register on Zwift for that spin (the 'TEAM G7 & +1S Sunday Party' which warns it's gonna be tough and looks to be an 'A' event, although classified as E?) otherwise you'd not get the notification to join then?

/start rant...
    Anyways....kind of losing faith in the 'ride with the Pro's' events as they're all advertised as 2.2 to 2.5 wkg but so far (with Trek and EF ones i've done) one Pro fecks off at 4 or 5wkg pulling loads of riders with him/her, and the other one(s) never really drop below about 3wkg and so for the likes of myself I don't really get to 'ride with the pro' for more than a few minutes before exploding. Faster/fitter people get that chance but not people in my range, even though if they stuck to the advertised pace I would.
    /end little rant

• Advertisement

Nice mention of the CI Zwift league on RTÉ news this evening. Good to see something positive about cyclists during the lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Every bit of that was awful. I am thinking they might be better if they put the As, Bs, Cs and Ds in seperate races. Surely would make it easier to manage results wise as well. I went from 1100 to 300 back to 800 back to 800 in the fist few minutes, it was mental.

If you're yo-yoing like that it might be that you're not drafting at all. Even though your avatar is sitting in the wheel you might be pushing too hard to sit in the wheel but not hard enough to move up.

On a flat course you should be able to to .7 - 1 w/kg less than the rider at the front of the group.

You'll know when you're in the draft as your rider will go from riding on the hoods to in the drops. It's worth trying it out in a couple of races to get the hang of it. God knows you'll need all the "recovery" you can get in those races.

If you're yo-yoing like that it might be that you're not drafting at all. Even though your avatar is sitting in the wheel you might be pushing too hard to sit in the wheel but not hard enough to move up.

On a flat course you should be able to to .7 - 1 w/kg less than the rider at the front of the group.

You'll know when you're in the draft as your rider will go from riding on the hoods to in the drops. It's worth trying it out in a couple of races to get the hang of it. God knows you'll need all the "recovery" you can get in those races.

I wasn't trying to draft, I was trying ot move up. The juping around was occuring even though I wasn't moving backwards at all. I suspect it was more an issue of 1200 people on the start line and blending in the first 100m. it settled down as soon as we lined out. This said I am learnign all the tricks of the trade from more regular users, there is alot of things you need to pay attention too in regards your avatar. I have found it easier to use the avatar as a guide in quieter races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Did my first zwift 100km yesterday and it was actually my longest turbo session by at least 50 km. I was shattered after it and took me a few hours to feel right but I was fairly happy with the effort as my fitness and endurance are pretty crap this year with only 632 km done before this. https://strava.app.link/rakp4sF4D5

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I had issues like yours when I had connected the trainer to multiple devices and/or had multiple programs running (ie zwift and trainer road)

keane2097 wrote: »
    I had issues like yours when I had connected the trainer to multiple devices and/or had multiple programs running (ie zwift and trainer road)

It actually started working for me yesterday. Didn’t do anything different it just worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Zwift does occasionally have random issues with turbo trainers. The other day mine decided not to automatically adjust the resistance or do the real-road-feel thing, unplugging everything and switching it back on made no difference. The next day was back to normal again.

It wasn't the first time it happened so I wasn't as worried that it was broken as I was previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

brianomc wrote: »
    Zwift does occasionally have random issues with turbo trainers. The other day mine decided not to automatically adjust the resistance or do the real-road-feel thing, unplugging everything and switching it back on made no difference. The next day was back to normal again.

It wasn't the first time it happened so I wasn't as worried that it was broken as I was previously.

I had been experiencing that when outside of an event. So just spinning around NYC or wherever, and going uphill felt the same as flat or downhill (but my avitar slowed down climbing). In events Zwift took control straight away though. I found out then that when my tacx app - which I use for calibration - was connected this happened. If I closed the app or disconnected it, then immediately Zwift took over and I could 'feel' the inclines. So now after calibration I disconnect the app and I've never had the issue since

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Maybe that was it, I had the tacx app open a few days previously to update the firmware. Something for me to keep in mind in the future alright.

• Advertisement

I was only on the free trial of Zwift. Ended with 10 mins of an FTP test to go. Think it was goig to let me finish me the phone rang too.

May yet subscribe as I do like it, but going to try Rouvy for a while too.

Advertisement