Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift spins

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Ah something wrong there... my 10 year old can hold 100watts for half an hour!

100 percent. my character is crawling along and im flat to the mat. Very disheartening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

100 percent. my character is crawling along and im flat to the mat. Very disheartening.

Could it be a calibration issue with whatever power meter you are reading?

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

CramCycle wrote: »
    Could it be a calibration issue with whatever power meter you are reading?

its reading the trainer for cadence power and control.

i do have vector 3's on my other bike though.............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

its reading the trainer for cadence power and control.

i do have vector 3's on my other bike though.............

I take it it’s a new trainer??
    Try pairing it with just your phone for now to try eliminate stuff... knock off anything else Bluetooth in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've the work phone running zwift, casting to the TV, and then the companion app on my personal phone. This morning I did Innsbruck for my first sim mode ride, after indexing my turbo bike (had only used it in erg mode up to now, so just had it indexed on one gear!). Between that and the companion app I'm beginning to "get" zwift a bit more now.

Signed up for a month anyway - I like the structure of TrainerRoad, but a week or two just riding on zwift will do for a bit of change as no events in prospect to actually train for. Although I did a TrainerRoad workout controlling the turbo, whilst broadcasting to zwift, before I did the indexing yesterday morning. Less convinced by the added value of that so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've a work phone en route & hoping it will allow me install Zwift though the work laptop won't. If it does I'll connect to a TV somehow and see if my non smart dd turbo can zwift enough to do a session here n there.

dahat wrote: »
    I've a work phone en route & hoping it will allow me install Zwift though the work laptop won't. If it does I'll connect to a TV somehow and see if my non smart dd turbo can zwift enough to do a session here n there.

Took me ages to figure out getting back Microsoft Store on the work laptop so I could install stuff. My partners work laptop is alot more strict, any attempt to plug in a USB or install non work software and it locks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I just didn't want to risk the work laptop at this time - it's the first thing my support ask/ blame if something goes wrong!

I'm mirroring the my phone screen via chromecast fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'm going to try to do an hour tonight after the kids are in bed so should have a better sense of it then. Have already had to move it to the garage though as once up to speed the noise on the raised timber floor in the sitting room is a bit too much...

Just following up on this, I've mine running via my laptop using ANT+. I did the Yorkshire course Friday and Innsbruck last night, for some reason my HR strap wouldn't work on Friday but I got that working last night.

So far I'm finding it really good, much more enjoyable than I'd expected. The one thing that confuses me a bit relates to turns on the course that you seem to be able to select - as in last night I went back up the big climb in Innsbruck instead of just finishing the lap as I'd assumed would automatically happen...I'm assuming familiarity will iron out those kinks though.

I do need to get the laptop closer though and possibly set up the companion app on my phone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

Nice zwift setup here, though you'd want it for 250km...

https://www.strava.com/activities/3207759584

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

nilhg wrote: »
    Nice zwift setup here, though you'd want it for 250km...

https://www.strava.com/activities/3207759584

He rode close to my FTP for 7 hours. I'm going to eat some cake now.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Cycling ireland have set up a race league - i see a few people on there that i recognise.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/downloads/cycling%20ireland%20zwift%20league%20final.pdf
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-eracing-series-zwift-workouts/

I've signed up for the craic, May as well get dropped in my kitchen as out on the road.

I done my first zwift race last night, it is certainly different than road racing, more like CX mixed with Track racing. I like the going from the gun mentality but I had issues with set up and eventually just used my phone. I was on the line for most of it when the sweat caused my hands to slip and tun my screen off, by the time I unlocked the phone there was a gap of 200m so I willingly packed it in.

yeah - zwift racing is balls out for the duration of the race - and surprisingly competitive. Trying to 'make the calculashun' to the guys ahead and behind you, figuring out who is in your group, trying to catch the guy in front of you. I thought it would be hard to find the motivation to dig in etc, but once you pin those virtual numbers on.....

This was an interesting article on it. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/11-things-know-race-zwift-407278

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If anyone is interested in Road Grand Tours , I've a Sally Gap, Wicklow Gap and Military Road route set up for it. Can Schedule cycles and such on it and have set up a group ride for it tomorrow morning at 9, though can change it

http://app.rgtcycling.com/event?code=408m7a

Link has to be opened on a phone or tablet

I did the Cycling Ireland Zwift league race this morning. Pure slaughter. Entered the B cat which was roughly A3 looking at the names I recognised on screen and definitely above my grade. Managed to hang with the front bunch for about 3/4 of a lap then drifted badly back for a few minutes before giving it another good lash for the last 15km or so. Well done everyone who took part.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3226918577

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I've been using this app for the past few months. https://cms.bikethe.world/
    Loads of fantastic HD videos of great routes and climbs from around the world. Real video as opposed to the RGT or Zwift set-up.
    And it's free, still in beta :)

I gave this a bash this morning and I have to say I'm impressed, such a nice change from the cartoon world of zwift but certainly miss the interaction of chasing other riders etc. I did el tiede for a bit and it was good, power changes were good also. It's missing a gradient map so you never really know what's ahead but I'd use it again. I'm still on the fence whether I'd pay for it or not but more so because everything seems to be a small monthly fee these days and it's getting like death by 1000 cuts.

FYI if you don't follow Anthony Walsh you should for the banter he's good wholesome craic. :)

Cheers OP

Mistimed the sprint as I remembered the distance wrong. I currently can't walk right. I was roughly 310 but need a bigger screen for the next time as it's hard to keep track of what's going on. https://strava.app.link/qk4P8tfYd5

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I gave this a bash this morning and I have to say I'm impressed, such a nice change from the cartoon world of zwift but certainly miss the interaction of chasing other riders etc. I did el tiede for a bit and it was good, power changes were good also. It's missing a gradient map so you never really know what's ahead but I'd use it again. I'm still on the fence whether I'd pay for it or not but more so because everything seems to be a small monthly fee these days and it's getting like death by 1000 cuts.

FYI if you don't follow Anthony Walsh you should for the banter he's good wholesome craic. :)

Cheers OP

OIxscozlZTX9-4PI0J-oyRjShwo5rduHZTCcVXn_T18UM03J1pMVImC5N2mLXuvHrbX7DIe1jQa1gO6ax0JiLzhCMFIbh_hTWdRxBglvwVLWfnRTPfHe3-W3K59COthUWgUAcNOop_JHNwSkHTJyWrP3zdAEw55-IM6kWMoGkKVquhmFd8pnq8DjWVVe0Cej8mr6C9ToM7svc3M3pXC-0A2K2petpR0MYrzZu9Wj2pHUvuGIPCoYC8fDhElAlq3TCP6_3dcbAvpcXzr9mxKf0d8X1nteJIiCQlqcEzv7moG4N0RkpEuKbBegHVagCePGLUvRVuNfxZStkiygww4M-o0I78NQaGPQ_-SdPzNxmVSKr3uIyAZ5BjGFBVjnFsbnXYgE-zE3NQyg0z3OLZBEvS2OW75fu4XmHiUeYd4ilOZpVAbm4NIWi93q1CY13KnRVkbtKUtdbXPKDlSuwLR2E-P-6tMih9dO4G2vHN4qzRIu9siTTC2gYKK67NgajJDWY0Al_2rCoANFehhtJ2UYwdflA53HDb6iUZLUYtQg9dFHPgK_iJoi98tcg94kxhcl5va0kPX00gz9Uprr8DvtzevUXxGCIiikKxDWXEG0Hc_159ZcdImhWowKgIc2-vYwpizLCfLK78yuSVb7ArPHpsVjHSJqb29L730t1Q39ln7a2KNh9E_gKcqUDFTXaFHhudM6ORrVl3ZYItQjNrOA89LjDn-SlGiF9iDUnxgzbNZ9GR0BhNEb-sBU=w1366-h648-no

Try Gamonitero, some of the the most stunning scenery you'll ever see especially the last 5km (hell of a tough climb too!!)

Wonder when the CI official results will be going up, using Zwift power I am 7th in C but I know by the names, a load of people have messed up the CIZL team joining and I am really 20th. I can walk slowly up a stairs again. Hooray

• Advertisement

Wonder when the CI official results will be going up, using Zwift power I am 7th in C but I know by the names, a load of people have messed up the CIZL team joining and I am really 20th. I can walk slowly up a stairs again. Hooray

Tough, you'll have lost out on points with tjst downgrade!!!!

Mistimed the sprint as I remembered the distance wrong. I currently can't walk right. I was roughly 310 but need a bigger screen for the next time as it's hard to keep track of what's going on. https://strava.app.link/qk4P8tfYd5

i sat on your wheel for a while, i thought you were waiting for me, then you buggered off up the road!! :)

There's still a bit of sorting out to do. I'm a long way back overall but might be a bit higher once the non CIZL riders are removed. Did you have to register AND join the CIZL team for the results to count?

Daroxtar wrote: »
    There's still a bit of sorting out to do. I'm a long way back overall but might be a bit higher once the non CIZL riders are removed. Did you have to register AND join the CIZL team for the results to count?

I think you are meant to do both, if you registered and they notice, who knows. At the organisers discretion.

lennymc wrote: »
    i sat on your wheel for a while, i thought you were waiting for me, then you buggered off up the road!! :)

My laptop decided it didn't want to pick up any devices so I had to switch to my phone. So it was nothing personal, I made two digs I can recall where a group of 10 or so broke off the front of the larger group we were in and I hadn't noticed so when I got near the front I dug in to bridge over. I found it hard to concntrate on the phone screen so there was no tactics from me bar hold a steady power and then dig in if i dropped back to much. It is some workout and nothing like road racing, trying to get out of the saddle is so weird. It will be seated efforts from now on.

my legs are still sore but I can walk up the stairs now.

I think you are meant to do both, if you registered and they notice, who knows. At the organisers discretion.

I did both. When I looked at the results earlier they weren't filtered but it's amended now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Hard old race! Finished 22nd in the A, was in for the sprint but had no sprint in me! Might be top 10 irish as I count 15 ahead that dont seem to be Irish

https://strava.app.link/V99KXpGye5

Bambaata wrote: »
    Hard old race! Finished 22nd in the A, was in for the sprint but had bo sprint in me! Might be top 10 irish as I count 15 ahead that dont seemkto be Irish

42 mins plus at threshold hr & above, bet ya felt that for the day.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Hard old race! Finished 22nd in the A, was in for the sprint but had bo sprint in me! Might be top 10 irish as I count 15 ahead that dont seemkto be Irish

Savage stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

dahat wrote: »
    42 mins plus at threshold hr & above, bet ya felt that for the day.
    Still feeling it :o

Advertisement