Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift spins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Going to try it this week myself, I won't get the full benefit of the game but I'll have a lash at a race or two with non smart direct drive turbo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

dahat wrote: »
    Going to try it this week myself, I won't get the full benefit of the game but I'll have a lash at a race or two with non smart direct drive turbo.

You've a Turbo Muin II like myself I believe? IT work well enough I find, other than mine finally developed the infamous knocking sound. PLenty using it with less capable machines,

Weepsie wrote: »
    You've a Turbo Muin II like myself I believe? IT work well enough I find, other than mine finally developed the infamous knocking sound. PLenty using it with less capable machines,

Yep, same turbo just not the sensor for smart paring.
    Does the game tell you when a hill is coming for us non smart lads?

It will be a vomit fest if nothing else anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It does give you a course profile but without the smart functionality I'd say zwift wouldn't be to appealing at all.

Yep, same turbo just not the sensor for smart paring.
    Does the game tell you when a hill is coming for us non smart lads?

It will be a vomit fest if nothing else anyway.

Yeah, profile. Top right hand of the screen shows the profile in windows along with a little map.

Your avatar will slow down and the instinct to change gears and push on takes over so it's a work out if nothing else.

It's the inability to freewheel that is lacking so you're pedalling as hard up and down so to speak often enough

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »

It's the inability to freewheel that is lacking so you're pedalling as hard up and down so to speak often enough

It's only races I was going to try it for & if freewheel is gone then 40mins plus balls out with no recovery doesn't appeal at all!!!

Did your experience to date give you an urge to upgrade the trainer? Or is it means to an end for you?

Bit of both. You can just spin in the downhill sections though I think and it'll kind of give you a speed. I tend to limit it to an hour - 90mins so I'm happy enough going a bit nuts on it. Only doing the FTP test did I include some recovery really, or when I finished my race.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

It's only races I was going to try it for & if freewheel is gone then 40mins plus balls out with no recovery doesn't appeal at all!!!

Did your experience to date give you an urge to upgrade the trainer? Or is it means to an end for you?

Smart or dumb trainer, there's pretty much no freewheeling in a zwift race. It's like one very long over-under.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Smart or dumb trainer, there's pretty much no freewheeling in a zwift race. It's like one very long over-under.

With very little under!!

Registered etc etc, see how one races works out Saturday morning.
    Entered the B race but under sold myself, no way I'm doing A race with a dumb trainer.

• Advertisement

If you have an accurate power meter, and your honest about weight I don't think it matters.
    It's 45mins of nonstop generally.

I've been honest on weight anyway and power meter is fine.

Roll on Saturday, see what the fun is & how much this will cost me in a new trainer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Looking at Saturday's route, there will be no let up. Start between 95% and 105% of your max, and steadily increasing for 30 minutes unless you drop out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

CramCycle wrote: »
    Looking at Saturday's route, there will be no let up. Start between 95% and 105% of your max, and steadily increasing for 30 minutes unless you drop out :pac:

Where are the routes posted?

Any prize for Flamme Rouge? Guess it's ride the race at threshold & above for as long as possible.
    Solid warm up beforehand, 2 caffeine gels then bang bang bang as that madcap Lee Turner says on his Insta.

Where are the routes posted?
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/events/zwift-eracing
    Any prize for Flamme Rouge? Guess it's ride the race at threshold & above for as long as possible.
    Solid warm up beforehand, 2 caffeine gels then bang bang bang as that madcap Lee Turner says on his Insta.
    Great thing about this online malarky, I have a strong cup of coffee beside me I can drink right up until go time. Regrettably my experience is that I can barely drink water I am so over the limit, eating wouldn't be happening.

One cup? Christ going on previous races I'll need 200mg of caffeine to be that lit up.

In a way I hope I don't like it as I've no chance of getting a mid level smart trainer for months.

One cup? Christ going on previous races I'll need 200mg of caffeine to be that lit up.

In a way I hope I don't like it as I've no chance of getting a mid level smart trainer for months.

I had money saved up over months for the Ras, as soon as I realised it wasn't happening I released the funds for a smart trainer. If nothing else, the CX season is going to be epic or awful depending on your view of the world.

I had money saved up over months for the Ras, as soon as I realised it wasn't happening I released the funds for a smart trainer. If nothing else, the CX season is going to be epic or awful depending on your view of the world.

CX does nothing for me so I'll leave mad folk at that.

Had you planned the RAS? Ambitious & fair play so another year to prep for you.

A purchase of Assomo pedals will be sacrificed once I talk to LBS tomorrow, I'll order the Tacx Flux S as they are dealers. At least I'll be prepped for the next virus 😂😂.

Very ambitious, with a more realistic idea that I would be kindly told no and provide support. I kind of lost the drive I had last year very quick this year and Zwift races via my club league are turning out to be the drive I need to actually put in an effort but it certainly won't make me fitter or healthier. Our organiser is a pessimist and has it arranged for 20 online races for us, he isn't expecting any normality before October, and even then, it will be phased in. Online racing is odd and I am starting to think needs alot more off the bike work to stay in good condition as you simply don't get the full movement that you do in a regular race/commute/spin.

• Advertisement

I've accepted no road racing for 2020 now & see Zwift as nessecary so ordered a smart trainer this morning from LBS. However when I actually get one is another thing.

Solo road spins or with one club mate in combination with Zwift racing will see me through when the lockdown is lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've accepted no road racing for 2020 now & see Zwift as nessecary so ordered a smart trainer this morning from LBS. However when I actually get one is another thing.

Solo road spins or with one club mate in combination with Zwift racing will see me through when the lockdown is lifted.

Did you get the Flux s? If so prepare yourself as they can be hit or miss on build quality, I had to return a couple of them.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Did you get the Flux s? If so prepare yourself as they can be hit or miss on build quality, I had to return a couple of them.

I tend to buy higher quality stuff through LBS for ease of mind for ease of returns etc. The newer model seems to be of better build according to DCR so hopefully he can source one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Zwift stuff has been fun so far. A handful of races done - one Club League, one CI race and some random selections.

I've a cheap wheel-on Turbo. It's fine for Trainer Road but it's really not up to scratch for Zwift. First few races I did my power was way off (not that I have much to begin with) and I was getting dropped all the time.

After much messing about it seems to be a little more realistic. Still bugs to iron out with the ANT and Bluetooth signals. Dropped out of the CI race on Saturday as I was spinning out in the big ring and not moving! If I was buying again I would save up longer and get a direct drive trainer.

Like Cramcycle above I'm not convinced that Zwift is a full replacement for Road Racing. I'm still holding out (I can dream) for some Vets racing this year - so I'm going to focus on a Trainer Road Block with a bit of Zwift racing for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

daragh_ wrote: »
    ...I'm not convinced that Zwift is a full replacement for Road Racing....

yeah can understand that alright - but...personally I think the fact CI do not have
    - specific CI races (a national body should have enough clout to ask for this), and also
    - the races they do Piggy-Back on are ´all cats out together' rather than like MANY other races where A's are away 1min before the B's ...and so on. There are even hare-n-hound races which are brilliant too!

Haven't done a huge amount of races, but I immediately ignore ANY race, regardless of distance or profile, once I see they all start together. It's just chaos, not fun, not good, and not how it should be, D Riders starting along with A's... the difference is unreal...seriously it is unreal....night-and-day differences immediately. Group gets strung out and torn apart VERY quickly.
    You enter a D race with their own start time and it's a whole other world. Not at all easy, but the difference is stark.

So to summise...I think it CAN be nearly as good as real racing (given the circumstances we have now)...BUT just that this CI format is not a great intro, and so you might think 'oh, this is how it's done in zwift, and I'm not mad keen on that'. Try some other races, with staggered start times. You just might love them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

andy69 wrote: »
    Try some other races, with staggered start times. You just might love them!!

I've done a couple of D Races that started like that and once all the Weight Cheaters vanished up the road at 60kph then the dynamics were more like a real race. I've even had a few Podiums in D (according to Zwiftpower anyway which has moved me to C).

But I would still swap my Turbo for a few laps of Green Sheds in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I dont think zwift will ever be a replacement for real road racing, there is just so much more to real racing than power to weight. I do think it is a good alternative to racing to get some race like intensities, and I find for me, that I dig deeper in a zwift race than in a regular training session on the turbo.

I tried Rouvy today, and did Ventoux. Now again, it's completely just you grinding away or spinning or whatever, but something about it just tricks you to keep pushing and finish it. Tortured myself for nearly 2 hours to finish it. I imagine the real thing is much harder, but that was tough.

Also, my fan arrived this morning. It's not a big one or anything, but enough power in it and enough cooling to make me feel like I Wasn't going to die from heat exhaustion after an hour. In fact, i'd say it'll help me get a 100 km virtual ride this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Would like some fan suggestions actually if anyone has one they find a particular bargain?

• Advertisement

I got a honeywell ht900e from Amazon. I'm loathe to use them. It's very, very small, but positioned right, it just hit the torso and head area so I was grand up until the last 10 minutes when I started hammering it a bit.

Was only about 30 quid,

There's an 18inch floor fan available form delivery from Power City that I didn't see til after as well that would probably do the trick.

Advertisement