Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Markcheese wrote: »
    I've seen paths done with tar and chip on a well compacted surface ,they're visually a lot less jarring than tarmac (in a rural setting ) ,would be fine for buggies ,wheelchairs and bikes , mightnt suit very skinny tyres though ,
    Kind of a halfway house , cheaper than tarmac ,more stable than compacted quarry dust....and feels more "rural" too ðŸ˜

Yes tar and chip is adequate, that's why I talked about bound v unbound surfaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Folks, anyone know if the path between Navan and Slane along the river suitable for bikes? 28 wheels touring bike

Folks, anyone know if the path between Navan and Slane along the river suitable for bikes? 28 wheels touring bike

I should say I think it doesn't go all the way to Slane but there is a path

Stops at Stackallen bridge I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/top-10-family-cycles-in-ireland-where-you-dont-have-to-worry-about-traffic-39237687.html

Good article for covering a lot of the existing greenways, a little poorly researched saying that the Great Western is the oldest, forgetting the Great Southern and the Royal Canal (Although given its length I suppose it doesn't fit their 'family day out' vibe...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Can't remember where I saw details online last week, but...

last year there was a grant of €92,000, for Longwood to Ribbontail walk to Royal Canal Greenway, and construction of greenway to Longwood.

This was apparently completed last week here
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/pdxNeP52roKVfxm98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

There is a barge in Athlone drilling for a ground survey for the new bridge over the Shannon for the green way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/top-10-family-cycles-in-ireland-where-you-dont-have-to-worry-about-traffic-39237687.html

Good article for covering a lot of the existing greenways, a little poorly researched saying that the Great Western is the oldest, forgetting the Great Southern and the Royal Canal (Although given its length I suppose it doesn't fit their 'family day out' vibe...)

The Blackrock (Cork) walkway is probably the oldest purpose built one. There since the 70s or 80s long before they became sexy and called greenways.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Some new information about the proposed 72km Sligo Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway greenway.

https://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/local-news/548188/push-for-funding-to-secure-completion-of-slncr-greenway-project-is-vital-for-region.html

The Great Southern Trail was/is the first "greenway".
    Work was started on it in 1988 by local volunteers.

According to Wikipedia the Blackrock walkway wasn't worked on until "the late 1990s"

Cork county council created a public footpath from Hop Island to the outskirts of Passage in 1970, the scheme was extended by a government grant in 1984 for construction on an amenity walk from the Marina to Douglas estuary viaduct.

Wikipedia is not the fount of all knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Cork county council created a public footpath from Hop Island to the outskirts of Passage in 1970, the scheme was extended by a government grant in 1984 for construction on an amenity walk from the Marina to Douglas estuary viaduct.

Wikipedia is not the fount of all knowledge.

Yes, it's a footpath, not a purpose built greenway as you claimed.

The Great Southern Trail was/is the first purpose built greenway in Ireland.

Yes, it's a footpath, not a purpose built greenway as you claimed.

The Great Southern Trail was/is the first purpose built greenway in Ireland.

Neither were even called that back then. The term greenway didn't even exist. Footpath, trail, walkway whatever.

Neither were even called that back then. The term greenway didn't even exist. Footpath, trail, walkway whatever.

The Great Southern trail was created by volunteers for the greater good.
    Their work has inspired all of the subsequent greenways.

I think it's important those people get the recognition they deserve.

Baldoyle to Portmarnock greenway opened

Only 1.8km but every little helps

https://www.irishbuildingmagazine.ie/2020/06/12/e2-5m-baldoyle-to-portmarnock-greenway-opened/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Baldoyle to Portmarnock greenway opened

Only 1.8km but every little helps

https://www.irishbuildingmagazine.ie/2020/06/12/e2-5m-baldoyle-to-portmarnock-greenway-opened/

This literally cost 2m to build. The development was a ****show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this literally cost as much as five or six - or maybe even eight - houses to build. it's a scandal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭antimatterx

this literally cost as much as five or six - or maybe even eight - houses to build. it's a scandal.

And they ruined the racecourse. It felt like you were in the country, now it's so busy. I hate fingal County council.

The new Co opted councilors are useless.

That bit of greenway is a godsend. That stretch of road is one of the scariest I had to cycle on a regular basis, constant close overtakes at high speed.

I no longer live in the area and am very resentful it wasn't completed before I moved!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭serfboard

This literally cost 2m to build.
    Whenever I hear a figure like that, for what seems like a small amount of road or Greenway, I wonder what could have led to it.

Often, of course, there's a lot more going on then just "shlappin' a bit o' concrete" down.

In this project, you can see that there's a fair amount of pipe-laying happening too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

As someone posted in the Waterford forum, work is starting on the Kilmeaden link on the Waterford Greenway

https://twitter.com/Briankenny9/status/1272469397416955904

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

How is that a scandal?
    And they ruined the racecourse. It felt like you were in the country, now it's so busy. I hate fingal County council.

The new Co opted councilors are useless.

Very cranky altogether. I'm sure the occasional cyclist going along it isn't making it feel "so busy".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Work has restarted on the Old Railway trail in Athlone, final mile or so the Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It seems like there are enough cheese towns connected to, or with the potential to connect to, greenways that they could make a branded cheese cycling tour :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

MJohnston wrote: »
    It seems like there are enough cheese towns connected to, or with the potential to connect to, greenways that they could make a branded cheese cycling tour :pac:

Mogeely coming soon ... ( Has 2 cheese factories),

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MJohnston wrote: »

If there's any distilleries around there, then we could have an Irish Greenway version of the Bordeaux marathon, 26 miles, 23 glasses of wine, loads of cheese.

CatInABox wrote: »
    If there's any distilleries around there, then we could have an Irish Greenway version of the Bordeaux marathon, 26 miles, 23 glasses of wine, loads of cheese.

Not to mind that cycling drunk is actually illegal here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not to mind that cycling drunk is actually illegal here.

You can walk/run on greenways too, and legally while drunk. Although, 23 glasses of whiskey is probably a bit too much, even if it's spaced over 6/7 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

James May and Oz Clarke cycle Ireland, I can't wait! :D

Include a few micro breweries .... Start at either cobh or crosshaven heading for youghal .. ( cork cc have a plan for cork city to carrigtohil ) might have to wait a bit for carrigtohil to midleton ,
    There's no shortage of small breweries in cork city , distillery in midleton ,think there's a brewery in youghal , matched with carrigaline cheese . Hegartys cheese (6 miles from city but hey ).. ardsallagh in carrigtohil ,balinrostig (near midleton ) , mogeely (cheese factory is on the line ) , might have to include a few fermoy cheeses for youghal but it'd be a grand day trip ... Probably wouldn't set any speed records though ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

It's only about 60 km ,from crosshaven to youghal ,
    If they ever get round to connecting youghal to dungarvan ,it could be a proper cycle and a proper piss up ... The Carnage arriving in Waterford after a drink every 10 or 15 miles...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I see there is mention in the new programme for government for a walking route between Malin Head in Donegal and Kinsale in Cork. I presume this will use the existing greenway routes, the Western Way route and some of the new greenway routes to be developed.

I would think a lot of the quiet country roads would be used for the rest of it. It is not a bad idea.

This would probably be more targeted at individual walkers/groups rather than families.
    The potential for a walking route around the entire country looks possible.

• Advertisement

I would think a lot of the quiet country roads would be used for the rest of it. It is not a bad idea.

While those roads may have lower traffic levels they are lethal to walk or cycle on with the way many locals drive on them

While those roads may have lower traffic levels they are lethal to walk or cycle on with the way many locals drive on them

Ya fair point. Though I don't think there is an alternative to the country roads in some areas where there is no train line present. Doubtful that they will acquire land as it is expensive.

On another note the cost of the Cahersiveen greenway has raised worries over the long term costs of future greenways. There was an article in one of the papers that stated paying farmers to acquire the land (that was originally in the hands of the CIE) plus engineering challenges has increased the cost significantly.

Saying that this greenway is meant to be the blueprint in terms of trail surface, junctions, crossings etc so it will probably need little extra to be done to it once it has opened.

There are still works ongoing on the Mayo Greenway and road crossings to be dealt with.

Ya fair point. Though I don't think there is an alternative to the country roads in some areas where there is no train line present. Doubtful that they will acquire land as it is expensive.

On another note the cost of the Cahersiveen greenway has raised worries over the long term costs of future greenways. There was an article in one of the papers that stated paying farmers to acquire the land (that was originally in the hands of the CIE) plus engineering challenges has increased the cost significantly.

Saying that this greenway is meant to be the blueprint in terms of trail surface, junctions, crossings etc so it will probably need little extra to be done to it once it has opened.

There are still works ongoing on the Mayo Greenway and road crossings to be dealt with.

The Barnagh tunnel extension on the Great Southern Greenway cost almost 1 million for a 1km dead-end.

Approx 20 million for a brand new 32km greenway is still great value, and it will never be cheaper than now to build...

The Barnagh tunnel extension on the Great Southern Greenway cost almost 1 million for a 1km dead-end.

Approx 20 million for a brand new 32km greenway is still great value, and it will never be cheaper than now to build...

Council defends ineptitude. 4.7m now over 20 million. Bargain.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/council-defends-escalating-costs-proposed-south-kerry-greenway/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

New 128km Irish greenway through three counties just given green light
    A significant new greenway through the west of the Republic has been given the green light after being included in a major new economic plan to develop the north west region.

The 128km Athenry to Sligo Greenway, which is also known as the ‘Western Rail Trail’, takes in counties Galway, Mayo and Sligo.
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-greenway-through-three-counties-gets-green-light/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

New 128km Irish greenway through three counties just given green light
    A significant new greenway through the west of the Republic has been given the green light after being included in a major new economic plan to develop the north west region.

The 128km Athenry to Sligo Greenway, which is also known as the ‘Western Rail Trail’, takes in counties Galway, Mayo and Sligo.
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-greenway-through-three-counties-gets-green-light/

Not quite. If you actually read the document there are specific policy objectives in support of the railway;

See RPO 6.13 of the strategy;

(A) “It shall be an objective to deliver the Athenry-Tuam-Claremorris-Sligo rail to an appropriate level of service and to a standard capable of facilitating passenger and freight transport”
    (B) “It shall be an objective to progress through pre-appraisal and early planning the extension of the railway from Athenry-Tuam-Claremorris-Sligo”

And RPO 6.16:

“Investigate the feasibility of extending the rail network to the North West City Region (Letterkenny/Derry/Strabane) from Sligo and Dublin”

So in fact greenways cannot be located on any part of the Western Rail Corridor, despite the misleading claims made by Ciaran Cannon yesterday. That doesn’t mean the so-called Quiet Man Greenway can’t happen, it has to be on an alternative route, well away from the operational railway...

I can't see any railways being extended unless outside money comes in for them from Europe.
    The greenways are being backed by Europe as some of them form part of the Eurovelo routes plus they would benefit from rural development grants.

Interesting that a greenway route around the north west coast of Mayo is on a EuroVelo route and so is likely to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

I can't see any railways being extended unless outside money comes in for them from Europe.
    The greenways are being backed by Europe as some of them form part of the Eurovelo routes plus they would benefit from rural development grants.

Interesting that a greenway route around the north west coast of Mayo is on a EuroVelo route and so is likely to happen.

Of course Ciaran Cannon put a stop to a EuroVelo route from Athlone to Galway as he was more interested in protecting Land Owners than giving cyclists a decent route across the country.

Sligo eye wrote: »
    Of course Ciaran Cannon put a stop to a EuroVelo route from Athlone to Galway as he was more interested in protecting Land Owners than giving cyclists a decent route across the country.

You mean the Euro Velo route that has been constructed as far as Athlone, is being extended across the Shannon and which the remaining section to Galway is undergoing design at the moment with public consultations due to start in 2021?

That Euro velo route?

• Advertisement

Sligo eye wrote: »
    Not quite. If you actually read the document there are specific policy objectives in support of the railway;

See RPO 6.13 of the strategy;

(A) “It shall be an objective to deliver the Athenry-Tuam-Claremorris-Sligo rail to an appropriate level of service and to a standard capable of facilitating passenger and freight transport”
    (B) “It shall be an objective to progress through pre-appraisal and early planning the extension of the railway from Athenry-Tuam-Claremorris-Sligo”

And RPO 6.16:

“Investigate the feasibility of extending the rail network to the North West City Region (Letterkenny/Derry/Strabane) from Sligo and Dublin”

So in fact greenways cannot be located on any part of the Western Rail Corridor, despite the misleading claims made by Ciaran Cannon yesterday. That doesn’t mean the so-called Quiet Man Greenway can’t happen, it has to be on an alternative route, well away from the operational railway...

You left out a lot of important information but rather than make you look silly on 2 threads might I suggest we continue this on the WRT thread on the C&T forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: I think that is a YES.

The Western Rail Corridor is not part of this thread. Please confine rail discussion to the other thread.

Regards

Hopefully the Greens will push through the greenway here and have it made actual policy rather than the standoff we have had for many years. Over the next couple of years we will have delivered some high quality, long distance greenways (Dublin to Athlone/Longford, Dungarvan - Rosslare, Rathkeale - Listowel) and it would be great to add Athenry - Sligo to that. There are obviously other sections around the country which will hopefully all be tied together into a proper network which traverses the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

You mean the Euro Velo route that has been constructed as far as Athlone, is being extended across the Shannon and which the remaining section to Galway is undergoing design at the moment with public consultations due to start in 2021?

That Euro velo route?

Yes

The thing now is.... the route is not in stone. Will it go through Loughrea? Athenry? Craughwell? Oranmore??? I guess it'd be easier if it was on a former railway line, but this way, communities may have to really engage in the process and explore and network through the options... or rather, develop options to begin with

Greaney wrote: »
    Yes

The thing now is.... the route is not in stone. Will it go through Loughrea? Athenry? Craughwell? Oranmore??? I guess it'd be easier if it was on a former railway line, but this way, communities may have to really engage in the process and explore and network through the options... or rather, develop options to begin with

As opposed to doing what?

Greaney wrote: »
    Yes

There was a report that highlighted a route via Loughrea and a former canal branch there as a good route for Athlone - Galway. Not sure if was ever made an official route. I'll look for the report later.

• Advertisement

As opposed to doing what?

As opposed to

1) Sitting back and waiting for the politicians & civil servants to draw lines on a map, and then knocking their decisions

2) Getting whipped up over the first route that is presented without examining it.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    There was a report that highlighted a route via Loughrea and a former canal branch there as a good route for Athlone - Galway. Not sure if was ever made an official route. I'll look for the report later.

That'd be great. Yes, I was aware of the route up until Loughrea, but I think there were two choices after that, one to Craughwell, I can't remember the other.

If I were from Loughrea, I would be livid with the local TD who set back the plan without facilitating the Public Participation more fully.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Caquas

Says as much about the makers of the video as it does about the car owner.

The clip lasts about four seconds and the car is in the centre of the shot for the duration, clearly blocking the greenway. Was this edited by a robot or was someone trying to make a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Talking to some friends yesterday apparently the kingscourt to navan greenway has started with a 2 km section complete in nobber county meath on the old rail line

• Advertisement
Advertisement