Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Surely as the Limerick/Tralee Railway was built by the Waterford & Limerick Railway Company the Great Southern Trail is something of a misnomer?

Tbf it probably was under combined GSWR/GSR ownership longer than the WLR. Besides you'd only confuse the proles calling it Waterford and Limerick Trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Tbf it probably was under combined GSWR/GSR ownership longer than the WLR. Besides you'd only confuse the proles calling it Waterford and Limerick Trail.

They can call it what they like, I won't be going near it as I travelled over it by by train several times in the 1980s and...

?width=480&version=4720382

• Registered Users Posts: 28,412 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What exactly is the Wild Atlantic Way apart from a meaningless Bord Failte marketing name for something that already existed i.e. a patchwork of roads in the West of Ireland? I'm happy to be educated in the matter. :)

Interesting story in Shane Ross's book about how the Failte Ireland 'Hidden Heartlands' programme was just a programme for government promise to the independents, particularly Boxer Moran to bring business into Athlone and environs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

What exactly is the Wild Atlantic Way apart from a meaningless Bord Failte marketing name for something that already existed i.e. a patchwork of roads in the West of Ireland? I'm happy to be educated in the matter. :)

Apparently they were inspired by iconic 'drives' such as Route 66 and The Pacific Highway, so they wanted to give it a name to get tourists to take the time, outside of Dublin, and go West for a longer spell. I honestly think it's genius marketing.

We're not on any of the top 10 lists.... never the less, I think this is the idea...

https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/articles/americas-7-most-famous-drives/

https://bigseventravel.com/50-most-scenic-drives-in-the-world/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Greaney wrote: »
    I honestly think it's genius marketing.

It is good marketing.
    I was totally unconvinced by it, but the number of Irish people I've met who have spoken of "doing bits of the Wild Atlantic Way" has really surprised me.

From that I must infer that the marketing wasn't aimed at me!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Some of the roads along that route are wild, never mind the Atlantic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/limerick-greenway-set-launch-summer-2021

Personally I think it is pretty stupid having two separate names for what should be considered one high quality, long distance greenway. Smacks of parochialism to me. If they develop another greenway in Limerick, what will they call that?

Bord Fáilte should slap some sense into them if they want marketing support.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Squedward

Anyone have any updates as to the progress being made on this route? Only news sources I can find are from 2018 and just announce funding.

Just a couple of weeks to go to get ones submission in on the Athlone to Galway Greenway. Deadline March 1st

They have a virtual consultation room on their site here

I feel sorry for the people of Loughrea, it was supposed to go through their area, guaranteed... and Craughwell...
    But a certain politician just couldn't stop creating non existent controversy in the media to up their profile. It's now become a 'competition' between five routes and the 'red route' along the Shannon have got amazing 'game'. I'd be furious if I was from Loughrea. I had been talking to the project leader about the CPO's during the public consultations last year and he said they had a 60% buy in from the farmers at the time which was exceptionally high according to him. It set the whole project back 5 years.

• Advertisement

Just a couple of weeks to go to get ones submission in on the Athlone to Galway Greenway. Deadline March 1st

They have a virtual consultation room on their site here

I feel sorry for the people of Loughrea, it was supposed to go through their area, guaranteed... and Craughwell...
    But a certain politician just couldn't stop creating non existent controversy in the media to up their profile. It's now become a 'competition' between five routes and the 'red route' along the Shannon have got amazing 'game'. I'd be furious if I was from Loughrea. I had been talking to the project leader about the CPO's during the public consultations last year and he said they had a 60% buy in from the farmers at the time which was exceptionally high according to him. It set the whole project back 5 years.

Your obsession with that TD...its amusing

The last time around the project was lead by a few numptys who tried to bully a load of farmers and got the IFA's back up and led to the problems also seen in Kerry.

This time around is a more holistic approach which is clearly working a lot better given the levels of engagement from communities all over East Galway.

Anyway, you'll note he is promoting route 4, the very one that is routed through Loughrea, not to mention Clonfert, Eyrecourt, Meelick, Tiernascragh, Portumna, Woodford, the Sliabh Aughty Mountains, Kylebrack, Carrabane, Kiltullagh, Esker and Athenry.

Funny how you left that out

Your obsession with that TD...its amusingt

In fairness, I've seen them sabotage a few projects & create conflict in my community.

In fairness, I've seen them sabotage a few projects & create conflict in my community.

Strange, I live in the same community and have seen the opposite

Perspectives and priorities

Anyway, we're derailing this thread, feel free to start a thread on the politics forum and I'll meet you there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 windows 7 home premium

Those who think putting a greenway on the Waterford/Rosslare strand rail line is a good idea, please read South east on track's business case. southeastontrack.com

Cannot post links due to new account, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Those who think putting a greenway on the Waterford/Rosslare strand rail line is a good idea, please read South east on track's business case. southeastontrack.com

Cannot post links due to new account, sorry.

https://southeastontrack.com/business-case

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Squedward wrote: »
    Anyone have any updates as to the progress being made on this route? Only news sources I can find are from 2018 and just announce funding.

There is a few km length completed around the Castle, I think the rest is progressing through planning at various stages, don't have much more detail for you.

Also
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/nta-allocates-e240m-to-councils-for-walking-and-cycling-infrastructure/

240 Million earmarked for walking and cycling projects in Major Cities, the GDA, Cork County and University/Hospital campuses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

What are the key arguments in this "business case"?

From taking a quick look at it, it suggests three alternatives to the proposed greenway routing.
    One that's already been ruled out as being too expensive.
    A second option that would be as expensive as the first.
    And the third, the "Macmine option" of just drawing a line on a map and saying build it there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Saw there's a caravan now up on the Royal Canal greenway. Loads of bags of rubbish outside it too. Didn't know taxpayers' money was being spent on them for people to start living along them.

Where?

Just east of Clonburris.

• Advertisement

Thanks
    (Grand Canal rather than Royal canal :))

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What are the key arguments in this "business case"?

From taking a quick look at it, it suggests three alternatives to the proposed greenway routing.
    One that's already been ruled out as being too expensive.
    A second option that would be as expensive as the first.
    And the third, the "Macmine option" of just drawing a line on a map and saying build it there instead.
    Maybe read it??? XD

The @macmine option' is on the former rail line, from New Ross to below Enniscorthy.
    Glow in the dark greemway for New Ross - Waterford?
    I honestly think this seems overkill, I doubt there would be enough using it at night to justify the cost of a glow-in-the-dark pathway.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Maybe read it??? XD

The @macmine option' is on the former rail line, from New Ross to below Enniscorthy.

I honestly think this seems overkill, I doubt there would be enough using it at night to justify the cost of a glow-in-the-dark pathway.

Its a novel idea, they say 'part' of the greenway, the sections on approach to Waterford and Wexford would likely get more use at night than the country section. I do think environmentally considerate lighting is a must along greenways, especially in urban sections, if you want to sell them as more than a tourist attraction you need to encourage people cycling home in the dark from work etc.

Thanks
    (Grand Canal rather than Royal canal :))

Apologies, Cloncurry. :o

Its a novel idea, they say 'part' of the greenway, the sections on approach to Waterford and Wexford would likely get more use at night than the country section. I do think environmentally considerate lighting is a must along greenways, especially in urban sections, if you want to sell them as more than a tourist attraction you need to encourage people cycling home in the dark from work etc.
    You mean New Ross right? Wexford isn't getting a greenway any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

the sections on approach to Waterford ... would likely get more use at night than the country section ... in urban sections, if you want to sell them as more than a tourist attraction you need to encourage people cycling home in the dark from work etc.
    Agree with you here.

Just as we don't light country roads, I don't see a need to light country Greenways. Nearing towns and cities does merit it alright.

However, if it's a financial choice between lighting existing Greenways or building new ones, I'd rather the money was put in to building new ones.

It's already a mini road why not electric flood lighting?
    There's enough light pollution without the countryside getting a weird glowing pathway as well.
    They installed lights on the surface of the Crosshaven trail, think they lasted a week or two before they got destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's already a mini road why not electric flood lighting?
    There's enough light pollution without the countryside getting a weird glowing pathway as well.
    They installed lights on the surface of the Crosshaven trail, think they lasted a week or two before they got destroyed.

I agree that light pollution should be minimised, but this phosphor stuff absolutely wouldn't contribute to that. It would travel like a metre at most, I would say.

You wouldn't use it to illuminate things, it'd merely provide a kind of silhouette for any people, animals, or objects on the track, and an easy way to know where the track is going.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    I agree that light pollution should be minimised, but this phosphor stuff absolutely wouldn't contribute to that. It would travel like a metre at most, I would say.

You wouldn't use it to illuminate things, it'd merely provide a kind of silhouette for any people, animals, or objects on the track, and an easy way to know where the track is going.

An easy way is put lights on your bike or yourself! Why do we need to sanitise and suburbify countryside?

Advertisement