Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Sunday's Gospel

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Eighteenth Sunday In Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 112

When Jesus heard of the death of John the Baptist,
    he withdrew in a boat to a deserted place by himself.
    The crowds heard of this and followed him on foot from their towns.
    When he disembarked and saw the vast crowd,
    his heart was moved with pity for them, and he cured their sick.
    When it was evening, the disciples approached him and said,
    “This is a deserted place and it is already late;
    dismiss the crowds so that they can go to the villages
    and buy food for themselves.”
    Jesus said to them, “There is no need for them to go away;
    give them some food yourselves.”
    But they said to him,
    “Five loaves and two fish are all we have here.”
    Then he said, “Bring them here to me,”
    and he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass.
    Taking the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven,
    he said the blessing, broke the loaves,
    and gave them to the disciples,
    who in turn gave them to the crowds.
    They all ate and were satisfied,
    and they picked up the fragments left over—
    twelve wicker baskets full.
    Those who ate were about five thousand men,
    not counting women and children.

Source : http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/
    : https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/daily-readings
    Irish : https://www.catholicireland.net/read...day&lang=irish
    Audio : http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings-audio.cfm

Commentary:
    14:13-21 Jesus' multiplication of loaves appears in every Gospel. The event anticipates the Eucharist, a point that Matthew reinforces by using the same series of verbs (taking . . . blessed . . . broke . . . gave) here (14:19)

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 11890-11891). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Tenth Sunday After Pentecost
    Semi-double
    Commemoration of St John Vianney, Confessor

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Corínthios.

1 Cor xii. 2-11

Fratres: Scitis, quóniam, cum gentes essétis, ad simulácra muta prout ducebámini eúntes. Ideo notum vobisfacio, quod nemo in Spíritu Dei loquens, dicit anáthema Iesu. Et nemo potest dícere, Dóminus Iesus, nisi in Spíritu Sancto. Divisiónes vero gratiárum sunt, idem autem Spíritus. Et divisiónes ministratiónum sunt, idem autem Dóminus. Et divisiónes operatiónum sunt, idem vero Deus, qui operátur ómnia in ómnibus. Unicuíque autem datur manifestátio Spíritus ad utilitátem. Alii quidem per Spíritum datur sermo sapiéntiæ álii autem sermo sciéntiæ secúndum eúndem Spíritum: álteri fides in eódem Spíritu: álii grátia sanitátum in uno Spíritu: álii operátio virtútum, álii prophétia, álii discrétio spirítuum, álii génera linguárum, álii interpretátio sermónum. Hæc autem ómnia operátur unus atque idem Spíritus, dívidens síngulis, prout vult.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson
    Lesson from the first letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians

1 Cor xii. 2-11

B rethren: You know that when you were Gentiles, you went to dumb idols according as you were led. Wherefore I give you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God, says Anathema to Jesus. And no one can say Jesus is Lord, except in the Holy Spirit. Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of ministries, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of workings, but the same God, Who works all things in all. Now the manifestation of the Spirit is given to everyone for profit. To one through the Spirit is given the utterance of wisdom; and to another the utterance of knowledge, according to the same Spirit; to another faith, in the same Spirit; to another the gift of healing, in the one Spirit; to another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another the distinguishing of spirits; to another various kinds of tongues; to another interpretation of tongues. But all these things are the work of one and the same Spirit, Who allots to everyone according as He will.
    R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Lucam.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc xviii. 9-14.

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus ad quosdam, qui in se confidébant tamquam iusti et aspernabántur céteros, parábolam istam: Duo hómines ascendérunt in templum, ut orárent: unus pharisaeus, et alter publicánus. Pharisaeus stans, hæc apud se orábat: Deus, grátias ago tibi, quia non sum sicut céteri hóminum: raptóres, iniústi, adúlteri: velut étiam hic publicánus. Ieiúno bis in sábbato: décimas do ómnium, quæ possídeo. Et publicánus a longe stans nolébat nec óculos ad coelum leváre: sed percutiébat pectus suum, dicens: Deus, propítius esto mihi peccatóri.Dico vobis: descéndit hic iustificátus in domum suam ab illo: quia omnis qui se exáltat, humiliábitur: et qui se humíliat, exaltábitur.

R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Luke.

R. Glory be to Thee, O Lord.

Luke 18:9-14

At that time, Jesus spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves as being just and despised others. Two men went up to the temple to pray, the one a Pharisee and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and began to pray thus within himself: ‘O God, I thank You that I am not like the rest of men, robbers, dishonest, adulterers, or even like this publican. I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I possess.’ But the publican, standing afar off, would not so much as lift up his eyes to heaven, but kept striking his breast, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me the sinner!’ I tell you, this man went back to his home justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled, and he who humbles himself shall be exalted.
    S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

The liturgy for this Sunday seeks to impress on us the true notion of Christian humility, which consists in attributing to the grace of Holy Ghost whatever sanctity we may have attained; for our acts can only be of a supernatural character, if they are inspired by the Holy Ghost whom our Lord sent upon His apostles on the day of Pentecost and whom He never ceases to give to those who ask.

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1940/47, p. 832

Our Lord does not approve of the Pharisee because of his fasting and paying tithes, but because he is lacking in penance and proudly thinks himself superior to others. This is why is fasting and almsgiving are of no avail, and why penitent sinners (like the publican, a common usurer) will precede him into the heavenly kingdom.

The St Jerome Sunday Missal, with liturgical commentary, London & Chicago, 1966, p. 252/

Nineteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 115

Gospel Mt 14:22
    After he had fed the people, Jesus made the disciples get into a boat
    and precede him to the other side,
    while he dismissed the crowds.
    After doing so, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray.
    When it was evening he was there alone.
    Meanwhile the boat, already a few miles offshore,
    was being tossed about by the waves, for the wind was against it.
    During the fourth watch of the night,
    he came toward them walking on the sea.
    When the disciples saw him walking on the sea they were terrified.
    “It is a ghost,” they said, and they cried out in fear.
    At once Jesus spoke to them, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”
    Peter said to him in reply,
    “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.”
    He said, “Come.”
    Peter got out of the boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus.
    But when he saw how strong the wind was he became frightened;
    and, beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!”
    Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught Peter,
    and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”
    After they got into the boat, the wind died down.
    Those who were in the boat did him homage, saying,
    “Truly, you are the Son of God.”

Commentary:
    14:27 it is I: Literally, "I am." • In light of his power over nature, Jesus' statement may allude to God's self-revelation at the burning bush (Ex 3:14; cf. Jn 8:58; 18:5, 6). Jesus thus goes beyond reassuring the disciples and claims for himself a divine identity and authority (14:33).

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 11890-11891). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

Eleventh Sunday After Pentecost

Commemoration of St Joachim, Confessor and Father of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

1 Cor xv. 1-10

Fratres: Notum vobis fácio Evangélium, quod prædicávi vobis, quod et accepístis, in quo et statis, per quod et salvámini: qua ratione prædicáverim vobis, si tenétis, nisi frustra credidístis. Trádidi enim vobis in primis, quod et accépi: quóniam Christus mortuus est pro peccátis nostris secúndum Scriptúras: et quia sepúltus est, et quia resurréxit tértia die secúndum Scriptúras: et quia visus est Cephæ, et post hoc úndecim. Deinde visus est plus quam quingéntis frátribus simul, ex quibus multi manent usque adhuc, quidam autem dormiérunt. Deinde visus est Iacóbo, deinde Apóstolis ómnibus: novíssime autem ómnium tamquam abortívo, visus est et mihi. Ego enim sum mínimus Apostolórum, qui non sum dignus vocári Apóstolus, quóniam persecútus sum Ecclésiam Dei. Grátia autem Dei sum id quod sum, et grátia eius in me vácua non fuit.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson
    Lesson from the first letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians

1 Cor. xv. 1-10

Brethren: I recall to your minds the Gospel that I preached to you, which also you received, wherein also you stand, through which also you are being saved, if you hold it fast, as I preached it to you - unless you have believed to no purpose. For I delivered to you first of all, what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day, according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, and after that to the Eleven. Then He was seen by more than five hundred brethren at one time, many of whom are with us still, but some have fallen asleep. After that He was seen by James, then by the Apostles. And last of all, as by one born out of due time, He was seen also by me. For I am the least of the Apostles, and am not worthy to be called an Apostle, because I persecuted the Church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace in me has not been fruitless.
    R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Marcum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Marc vii. 31-37

I n illo témpore: Exiens Iesus de fínibus Tyri, venitper Sidónem ad mare Galilaeæ, inter médios fines Decapóleos. Et addú**** ei surdum et mutum, et deprecabántur eum, ut impónat illi manum. Et apprehéndens eum de turba seórsum, misit dígitos suos in aurículas eius: et éxspuens, tétigit linguam eius: et suspíciens in coelum, ingémuit, et ait illi: Ephphetha, quod est adaperíre. Et statim apértæ sunt aures eius, et solútum est vínculum linguæ eius, et loquebátur recte. Et præcépit illis, ne cui dícerent. Quanto autem eis præcipiébat, tanto magis plus prædicábant: et eo ámplius admirabántur, dicéntes: Bene ómnia fecit: et surdos fecit audíre et mutos loqui.

R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Mark vii. 31-37

At that time, Jesus departing from the district of Tyre came by way of Sidon to the sea of Galilee, through the midst of the district of Decapolis. And they brought to Him one deaf and dumb, and entreated Him to lay His hand upon him. And taking him aside from the crowd, He put His fingers into the man’s ears, and spitting, He sighed, and said to him, Ephpheta, that is, Be opened. And his ears were at once opened, and the bond of his tongue was loosed, and he began to speak correctly. And He charged them to tell no one. But the more He charged them, so much the more did they continue to publish it. And so much the more did they wonder, saying, He has done all things well. He has made both the deaf to hear and the dumb to speak.

St Paul at first persecuted the Church of Christ. But he was later converted and then ‘he spoke correctly.’ Like St. Paul we should draw our inspiration from Christ and truly rely on his graces which will enable us to be truly fruitful.

St Joseph Daily Missal: The Official Prayers of the Catholic Church for the celebration of daily Mass. Rev. Hugo H. Hoever S.O.Cist., Ph.D., p. 494.

Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 118

Gospel Matt:15-21
    At that time, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon.
    And behold, a Canaanite woman of that district came and called out,
    “Have pity on me, Lord, Son of David!
    My daughter is tormented by a demon.”
    But Jesus did not say a word in answer to her.
    Jesus’ disciples came and asked him,
    “Send her away, for she keeps calling out after us.”
    He said in reply,
    “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”
    But the woman came and did Jesus homage, saying, “Lord, help me.”
    He said in reply,
    “It is not right to take the food of the children
    and throw it to the dogs.”
    She said, “Please, Lord, for even the dogs eat the scraps
    that fall from the table of their masters.”
    Then Jesus said to her in reply,
    “O woman, great is your faith!
    Let it be done for you as you wish.”
    And the woman’s daughter was healed from that hour.

Commentary:
    15:26 the children's bread: i.e., Israel and its inherited right to God's blessings. As in 8:5-13, Jesus heals a faith-filled Gentile despite his intention to minister to Israel first

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 3418-3419). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

• Advertisement

Twelfth Sunday After Pentecost

Commemoration of St Philip Benizi

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

2 Cor 3:4-9

Fratres: Fidúciam talem habémus per Christum ad Deum: non quod sufficiéntes simus cogitáre áliquid a nobis, quasi ex nobis: sed sufficiéntia nostra ex Deo est: qui et idóneos nos fecit minístros novi testaménti: non líttera, sed spíritu: líttera enim occídit, spíritus autem vivíficat. Quod si ministrátio mortis, lítteris deformáta in lapídibus, fuit in glória; ita ut non possent inténdere fili Israël in fáciem Moysi, propter glóriam vultus eius, quæ evacuátur: quómodo non magis ministrátio Spíritus erit in glória? Nam si ministrátio damnátionis glória est multo magis abúndat ministérium iustítiæ in glória.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson
    Lesson from the second letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians

2 Cor 3:4-9

Brethren: Such is the assurance I have through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think anything, as from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God. He also it is Who has made us fit ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the spirit; for the letter kills, but the spirit gives life. Now if the ministration of death, which was engraved in letters upon stones, was inaugurated in such glory that the children of Israel could not look steadfastly upon the face of Moses on account of the transient glory that shone upon it, shall not the ministration of the spirit be still more glorious? For if there is glory in the ministration that condemned, much more does the ministration that justifies abound in glory.
    R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc 10:23-37

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Beáti óculi, qui vident quæ vos videtis. Dico enim vobis, quod multi prophétæ et reges voluérunt vidére quæ vos videtis, et non vidérunt: et audire quæ audítis, et non audiérunt. Et ecce, quidam legisperítus surréxit, tentans illum, et dicens: Magister, quid faciéndo vitam ætérnam possidébo? At ille dixit ad eum: In lege quid scriptum est? quómodo legis? Ille respóndens, dixit: Díliges Dóminum, Deum tuum, ex toto corde tuo, et ex tota ánima tua, et ex ómnibus víribus tuis; et ex omni mente tua: et próximum tuum sicut teípsum. Dixítque illi: Recte respondísti: hoc fac, et vives. Ille autem volens iustificáre seípsum, dixit ad Iesum: Et quis est meus próximus? Suscípiens autem Iesus, dixit: Homo quidam descendébat ab Ierúsalem in Iéricho, et íncidit in latrónes, qui étiam despoliavérunt eum: et plagis impósitis abiérunt, semivívo relícto. Accidit autem, ut sacerdos quidam descénderet eádem via: et viso illo præterívit. Simíliter et levíta, cum esset secus locum et vidéret eum, pertránsiit. Samaritánus autem quidam iter fáciens, venit secus eum: et videns eum, misericórdia motus est. Et apprópians, alligávit vulnera eius, infúndens óleum et vinum: et impónens illum in iuméntum suum, duxit in stábulum, et curam eius egit. Et áltera die prótulit duos denários et dedit stabulário, et ait: Curam illíus habe: et quodcúmque supererogáveris, ego cum redíero, reddam tibi. Quis horum trium vidétur tibi próximus fuísse illi, qui íncidit in latrónes? At lle dixit: Qui fecit misericórdiam in illum. Et ait illi Iesus: Vade, et tu fac simíliter.

R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Luke 10:23-37

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: Blessed are the eyes that see what you see! For I say to you, many prophets and kings have desired to see what you see, and they have not seen it; and to hear what you hear, and they have not heard it. And behold, a certain lawyer got up to test Him, saying, Master, what must I do to gain eternal life? But He said to him, What is written in the Law? How do you read? He answered and said, You shall love the Lord your God with your whole heart, and with your whole soul, and with your whole strength, and with your whole mind; and your neighbor as yourself. And He said to him, You have answered rightly; do this and you shall live. But he, wishing to justify himself, said to Jesus, And who is my neighbor? Jesus answered and said, A certain man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell in with robbers, who after both stripping him and beating him went their way, leaving him half-dead. But, as it happened, a certain priest was going down the same way; and when he saw him, he passed by. And likewise a Levite also, when he was near the place and saw him, passed by. But a certain Samaritan as he journeyed came upon him, and seeing him, was moved with compassion. And he went up to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. And setting him on his own beast, he brought him to an inn and took care of him. And the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper and said, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, I, on my way back, will repay you.’ Which of these three, in your opinion, proved himself neighbor to him who fell among the robbers? And he said, He who took pity on him. And Jesus said to him, Go and do also in like manner.

The good Samaritan (the word means guardian) is our Lord Himself. Having become man He is brought close to us by the great compassion He has shown towards us. The inn is the Church into which our Lord Himself brings man, as the good Samaritan brought in the wounded man on his breast, for no one can take part in the Church unless he is baptised, united to the Body of Christ, and carried like the lost sheep on the shoulder of the Good Shepherd.
    St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1940/47, p. 847.

Twenty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 121

Gospel Matt 16:13

Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi and
    he asked his disciples,
    “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”
    They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah,
    still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
    He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
    Simon Peter said in reply,
    "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
    Jesus said to him in reply,
    “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah.
    For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father.
    And so I say to you, you are Peter,
    and upon this rock I will build my church,
    and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
    I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven.
    Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven;
    and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”
    Then he strictly ordered his disciples
    to tell no one that he was the Christ.

Commentary:
    16:16 Son of the living God: The confession is double-sided: (1) Peter proclaims the mystery of Christ's divinity as the head and spokesman of the Church

Thirteenth Sunday After Pentecost

Commemoration of St Rose of Lima, Virgin

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Gálatas.

Gal iii, 16-22

Fratres: Abrahæ dictæ sunt promissiónes, et sémini eius. Non dicit: Et semínibus, quasi in multis; sed quasi in uno: Et sémini tuo, qui est Christus. Hoc autem dico: testaméntum confirmátum a Deo, quæ post quadringéntos et trigínta annos facta est lex, non írritum facit ad evacuándam promissiónem. Nam si ex lege heréditas, iam non ex promissióne. Abrahæ autem per repromissiónem donávit Deus. Quid igitur lex? Propter transgressiónes pósita est, donec veníret semen, cui promíserat, ordináta per Angelos in manu mediatóris. Mediátor autem uníus non est: Deus autem unus est. Lex ergo advérsus promíssa Dei? Absit. Si enim data esset lex, quæ posset vivificáre, vere ex lege esset iustítia. Sed conclúsit Scriptúra ómnia sub peccáto, ut promíssio ex fide Iesu Christi darétur credéntibus.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson
    Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Galatians

Gal iii, 16-22

Brethren: The promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring. He does not say, And to his offsprings, as of many; but as of one, And to your offspring, Who is Christ. Now I mean this: The Law which was made four hundred and thirty years later does not annul the covenant which was ratified by God, so as to make the promise void. For if the right to inherit be from the Law, it is no longer from a promise. But God gave it to Abraham by promise. What then was the Law? It was enacted on account of transgressions, being delivered by angels through a mediator, until the offspring should come to whom the promise was made. Now there is no intermediary where there is only one; but God is one. Is the Law then contrary to the promises of God? By no means. For if a law had been given that could give life, justice would truly be from the Law. But the Scriptures shut up all things under sin, that by the faith of Jesus Christ the promise might be given to those who believe.
    R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc 17:11-19

In illo témpore: Dum iret Iesus in Ierúsalem, transíbat per médiam Samaríam et Galilaeam. Et cum ingrederétur quoddam castéllum, occurrérunt ei decem viri leprósi, qui stetérunt a longe; et levavérunt vocem dicéntes: Iesu præcéptor, miserére nostri. Quos ut vidit, dixit: Ite, osténdite vos sacerdótibus. Et factum est, dum irent, mundáti sunt. Unus autem ex illis, ut vidit quia mundátus est, regréssus est, cum magna voce magníficans Deum, et cecidit in fáciem ante pedes eius, grátias agens: et hic erat Samaritánus. Respóndens autem Iesus, dixit: Nonne decem mundáti sunt? et novem ubi sunt? Non est invéntus, qui redíret et daret glóriam Deo, nisi hic alienígena. Et ait illi: Surge, vade; quia fides tua te salvum fecit.

R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Luke xvii, 11-19

A t that time, Jesus was going to Jerusalem, He was passing between Samaria and Galilee. And as He was entering a certain village, there He met ten lepers, who stood afar off and lifted up their voice, crying, Jesus, Master, have pity on us. And when He saw them He said, Go, show yourselves to the priests. And it came to pass as they were on their way, that they were made clean. But one of them, seeing that he was made clean, returned, with a loud voice glorifying God, and he fell on his face at His feet, giving thanks; and he was a Samaritan. But Jesus answered and said, Were not the ten made clean? But where are the nine? Has no one been found to return and give glory to God, except this foreigner? And He said to him, Arise, go your way, for your faith has saved you.

Our divine Redeemer remarked sadly that only ‘this stranger’ had thus glorified God, for the others had no thought for Him who had cured them. Probably the commentators are right in thinking our Lord freed the man from the leprosy of soul, which is sin.

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1940/47[/i], p. 854.

Twenty-second Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 124

Mtthw 16-21-27
    Jesus began to show his disciples
    that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer greatly
    from the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes,
    and be killed and on the third day be raised.
    Then Peter took Jesus aside and began to rebuke him,
    “God forbid, Lord! No such thing shall ever happen to you.”
    He turned and said to Peter,
    “Get behind me, Satan! You are an obstacle to me.
    You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do."

Then Jesus said to his disciples,
    “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself,
    take up his cross, and follow me.
    For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it,
    but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
    What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world
    and forfeit his life?
    Or what can one give in exchange for his life?
    For the Son of Man will come with his angels in his Father’s glory,
    and then he will repay all according to his conduct.”

Commentary:
    16:24 take up his cross: Jesus' challenge follows his first Passion prediction (16:21). He indicates that suffering and self-denial are central to the Christian life

Fourteenth Sunday After Pentecost

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Gal v, 16-24

Fratres: Spíritu ambuláte, et desidéria carnis non perficiétis. Caro enim concupíscit advérsus spíritum, spíritus autem advérsus carnem: hæc enim sibi ínvicem adversántur, ut non quæcúmque vultis, illa faciátis. Quod si spíritu ducímini, non estis sub lege. Manifésta sunt autem ópera carnis, quæ sunt fornicátio, immundítia, impudicítia, luxúria, idolórum sérvitus, venefícia, inimicítiæ, contentiónes, æmulatiónes, iræ, rixæ, dissensiónes, sectæ, invídiæ, homicídia, ebrietátes, comessatiónes, et his simília: quæ prædíco vobis, sicut prædíxi: quóniam, qui talia agunt, regnum Dei non consequántur. Fructus autem Spíritus est: cáritas, gáudium, pax, patiéntia, benígnitas, bónitas, longanímitas, mansuetúdo, fides, modéstia, continéntia, cástitas. Advérsus huiúsmodi non est lex. Qui autem sunt Christi, carnem suam crucifixérunt cum vítiis et concupiscéntiis.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson

Gal v, 16-24

Brethren: Walk in the Spirit, and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the spirit, and the spirit against the flesh; for these are opposed to each other, so that you do not do what you would. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are immorality, uncleanness, licentiousness, idolatry, witchcrafts, enmities, contentions, jealousies, anger, quarrels, factions, parties, envies, murders, drunkenness, carousings, and suchlike. And concerning these I warn you, as I have warned you, that they who do such things will not attain the kingdom of God. But of the fruit of the Spirit is: charity, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, long-suffering, mildness, faith, modesty, continency, chastity. Against such things there is no law. And they who belong to Christ have crucified their flesh with its passions and desires.
    R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt vi, 24-33

I n illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Nemo potest duóbus dóminis servíre: aut enim unum ódio habébit, et álterum díliget: aut unum sustinébit, et álterum contémnet. Non potéstis Deo servíre et mammónæ. Ideo dico vobis, ne sollíciti sitis ánimæ vestræ, quid manducétis, neque córpori vestro, quid induámini. Nonne ánima plus est quam esca: et corpus plus quam vestiméntum? Respícite volatília coeli, quóniam non serunt neque metunt neque cóngregant in hórrea: et Pater vester coeléstis pascit illa. Nonne vos magis pluris estis illis? Quis autem vestrum cógitans potest adiícere ad statúram suam cúbitum unum? Et de vestiménto quid sollíciti estis? Consideráte lília agri, quómodo crescunt: non labórant neque nent. Dico autem vobis, quóniam nec Sálomon in omni glória sua coopértus est sicut unum ex istis. Si autem fænum agri, quod hódie est et cras in clíbanum míttitur, Deus sic vestit: quanto magis vos módicæ fídei? Nolíte ergo sollíciti esse, dicéntes: Quid manducábimus aut quid bibémus aut quo operiémur? Hæc enim ómnia gentes inquírunt. Scit enim Pater vester, quia his ómnibus indigétis. Quaerite ergo primum regnum Dei et iustítiam eius: et hæc ómnia adiiciéntur vobis.
    R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew

Matt vi, 24-33

A t that time, Jesus said to His disciples: No man serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will stand by the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. Therefore I say to you, do not be anxious for your life, what you shall eat; nor yet for your body, what you shall put on. Is not the life a greater thing than the food, and the body than the clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they do not sow, or reap, or gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you of much more value than they? But which of you by being anxious about it can add to his stature a single cubit? And as for clothing, why are you anxious? Consider how the lilies of the field grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory was arrayed like one of those. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which flourishes today but tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more you, O you of little faith! Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or, ‘What shall we drink?’ or, ‘What are we to put on?’ -for after all these things the Gentiles seek; - for your Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the Kingdom of God and His justice, and all these things shall be given you besides.
    God’s providence takes care of the birds of the air and the lilies of the field. But we ‘of little faith’ attend with such anxiety to our temporal interests that we even neglect our religious duties. When we seek the supernatural first, we may rely on God’s fatherly help in our daily affairs.

Saint Joseph Daily Missal: The Official Prayers of the Catholic Church for the Celebration of Daily Mass, Completely Revised Edition Including New Mass Rubrics and the Holy Week Liturgy, Edited by Hugo H. Hoever S.O.Cist., Ph.D, Introduction by Rev. Richard Kugelman C.P. S.T.L., S.S.L in according the New Code of Rubrics, New Edition 1963. p. 505.

• Advertisement

Twenty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 127

Matt 18:15-20
    Jesus said to his disciples:
    “If your brother sins against you,
    go and tell him his fault between you and him alone.
    If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.
    If he does not listen,
    take one or two others along with you,
    so that ‘every fact may be established
    on the testimony of two or three witnesses.’
    If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church.
    If he refuses to listen even to the church,
    then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.
    Amen, I say to you,
    whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven,
    and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
    Again, amen, I say to you,
    if two of you agree on earth
    about anything for which they are to pray,
    it shall be granted to them by my heavenly Father.
    For where two or three are gathered together in my name,
    there am I in the midst of them.”

Commentary:
    18: whatever you bind . . . loose: In 16:19, Peter was invested with Christ's authority as the visible head of the Church. A derivative—but subordinate—authority is given also to the apostles as royal ministers in the kingdom. Jesus' authority in this context is related to Church discipline; by extension, it is also a sacramental authority to forgive sins

Fifteenth Sunday After Pentecost
    Semi-double
    Green Vestments

Lectio

Gal v, 25-26; vi, 1-10

Fratres: Si spíritu vívimus, spíritu et ambulémus. Non efficiámur inanis glóriæ cúpidi, ínvicem provocántes, ínvicem invidéntes. Fratres, et si præoccupátus fúerit homo in áliquo delícto, vos, qui spirituáles estis, hujúsmodi instrúite in spíritu lenitátis, consíderans teípsum, ne et tu tentéris. Alter alteríus ónera portáte, et sic adimplébitis legem Christi. Nam si quis exístimat se áliquid esse, cum nihil sit, ipse se sedúcit. Opus autem suum probet unusquísque, et sic in semetípso tantum glóriam habébit, et non in áltero. Unusquísque enim onus suum portábit. Commúnicet autem is, qui catechizátur verbo, ei, qui se catechízat, in ómnibus bonis. Nolíte erráre: Deus non irridétur. Quæ enim semináverit homo, hæc et metet. Quóniam qui séminat in carne sua, de carne et metet corruptiónem: qui autem séminat in spíritu, de spíritu metet vitam ætérnam. Bonum autem faciéntes, non deficiámus: témpore enim suo metémus, non deficiéntes. Ergo, dum tempus habémus, operémur bonum ad omnes, maxime autem ad domésticos fídei.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson

Gal v.25, 26; vi. 1-10

Brethren: If we live by the Spirit, by the Spirit let us also walk. Let us not become desirous of vainglory, provoking one another, envying one another. Brethren, even if a person is caught doing something wrong, you who are spiritual instruct such a one in a spirit of meekness, considering yourself, lest you also be tempted. Bear one another’s burdens, and so you will fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks himself to be something, whereas he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let everyone test his own work, and so he will have glory in himself only, and not in comparison with another. For each one will bear his own burden. And let him who is instructed in the word share all good things with his teacher. Be not deceived, God is not mocked. For what a man sows in the flesh, from the flesh also will reap corruption. But he who sows in the spirit, from the spirit will reap life everlasting. And in doing good let us not grow tired; for in due time we shall reap if we do not relax. Therefore, while we have time, let us do good to all men, but especially to those who are of the household of faith.
    R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc vii,11-16

In illo témpore: Ibat Jesus in civitátem, quæ vocátur Naim: et ibant cum eo discípuli ejus et turba copiósa. Cum autem appropinquáret portæ civitátis, ecce, defúnctus efferebátur fílius únicus matris suæ: et hæc vidua erat: et turba civitátis multa cum illa. Quam cum vidísset Dóminus, misericórdia motus super eam, dixit illi: Noli flere. Et accéssit et tétigit lóculum. - Hi autem, qui portábant, stetérunt. - Et ait: Adoléscens, tibi dico, surge. Et resédit, qui erat mórtuus, et coepit loqui. Et dedit illum matri suæ. Accépit autem omnes timor: et magnificábant Deum, dicéntes: Quia Prophéta magnus surréxit in nobis: et quia Deus visitávit plebem suam.
    R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Luke

Luc vii,11-16

A t that time, Jesus went to a town called Naim; and His disciples and a large crowd went with Him. And as He drew near the gate of the town, behold, a dead man was being carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow; and a large gathering from the town was with her. And the Lord, seeing her, had compassion on her, and said to her, Do not weep. And He went up and touched the stretcher; and the bearers stood still. And He said, Young man, I say to you, arise. And he who was dead, sat up, and began to speak. And He gave him to his mother. But fear seized upon all, and they began to glorify God, saying, A great prophet has risen among us, and God has visited His people.

The harvest we shall reap at death will correspond to the seed we have sown in life; let us sow works full of supernatural spirit and we shall reap eternal life. Let us never fail in doing good, and let us avoid the works of the flesh such as lack of charity, pride, avarice and lust; for those who commit sin are dead to life of grace and will reap only corruption. In short let us escape from death, and live a truly risen life.
    St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1940/47, p. 863.
    The miracle by which the Lord raised the widow’s son from the dead is a figure of the far greater miracle by which man, dead through sin, is brought to eternal life in baptism and the sacraments of penance (rightly called a ‘second baptism’). The mother represents the Church rejoicing in the spiritual rebirth of her children.

The St Jerome Sunday Missal with liturgical commentary, edited by Reverend Thomas McDonough S.T.L, J.D. and Thomas Marren M.A., London & Chicago 1966, p. 268.

Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Gospel MT 18:21-35
    Peter approached Jesus and asked him,
    “Lord, if my brother sins against me,
    how often must I forgive?
    As many as seven times?”
    Jesus answered, “I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times.
    That is why the kingdom of heaven may be likened to a king
    who decided to settle accounts with his servants.
    When he began the accounting,
    a debtor was brought before him who owed him a huge amount.
    Since he had no way of paying it back,
    his master ordered him to be sold,
    along with his wife, his children, and all his property,
    in payment of the debt.
    At that, the servant fell down, did him homage, and said,
    ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay you back in full.’
    Moved with compassion the master of that servant
    let him go and forgave him the loan.
    When that servant had left, he found one of his fellow servants
    who owed him a much smaller amount.
    He seized him and started to choke him, demanding,
    ‘Pay back what you owe.’
    Falling to his knees, his fellow servant begged him,
    ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay you back.’
    But he refused.
    Instead, he had the fellow servant put in prison
    until he paid back the debt.
    Now when his fellow servants saw what had happened,
    they were deeply disturbed, and went to their master
    and reported the whole affair.
    His master summoned him and said to him, ‘You wicked servant!
    I forgave you your entire debt because you begged me to.
    Should you not have had pity on your fellow servant,
    as I had pity on you?’
    Then in anger his master handed him over to the torturers
    until he should pay back the whole debt.
    So will my heavenly Father do to you,
    unless each of you forgives your brother from your heart.”

Commentary:
    18: 22 Denotes limitless mercy and forgiveness

Seventeenth Sunday After Pentecost

Commemoration of St Eustace and companions

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Ephésios.

Ephes iv. 1-6

Fratres: Obsecro vos ego vinctus in Dómino, ut digne ambulétis vocatióne, qua vocáti estis, cum omni humilitáte et mansuetúdine, cum patiéntia, supportántes ínvicem in caritáte, sollíciti serváre unitátem spíritus in vínculo pacis. Unum corpus et unus spíritus, sicut vocáti estis in una spe vocatiónis vestræ. Unus Dóminus, una fides, unum baptísma. Unus Deus et Pater ómnium, qui est super omnes et per ómnia et in ómnibus nobis. Qui est benedíctus in saecula sæculórum. Amen.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Ephesians

Ephes iv. 1-6

Brethren: I, the prisoner in the Lord, exhort you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all humility and meekness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, careful to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace: one body and one Spirit, even as you were called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one Baptism, one God and Father of all, Who is above all, and throughout all, and in us all, Who is blessed forever and ever. Amen..
    R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt xxii. 34-46

I In illo témpore: Accessérunt ad Iesum pharisaei: et interrogávit eum unus ex eis legis doctor, tentans eum: Magíster, quod est mandátum magnum in lege? Ait illi Iesus: Díliges Dóminum, Deum tuum, ex toto corde tuo et in tota ánima tua et in tota mente tua. Hoc est máximum et primum mandátum. Secúndum autem símile est huic: Díliges próximum tuum sicut teípsum. In his duóbus mandátis univérsa lex pendet et prophétæ. Congregátis autem pharisaeis, interrogávit eos Iesus, dicens: Quid vobis vidétur de Christo? cuius fílius est? Dicunt ei: David. Ait illis: Quómodo ergo David in spíritu vocat eum Dóminum, dicens: Dixit Dóminus Dómino meo, sede a dextris meis, donec ponam inimícos tuos scabéllum pedum tuórum? Si ergo David vocat eum Dóminum, quómodo fílius eius est? Et nemo poterat ei respóndere verbum: neque ausus fuit quisquam ex illa die eum ámplius interrogáre.
    R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Matt xxii. 34-46

At that time, the Pharisees came to Jesus and one of them, a doctor of the Law, putting Him to the test, asked Him, Master, which is the great commandment in the Law? Jesus said to him, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with your whole heart, and with your whole soul, and with your whole mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. And the second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets. Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus questioned them, saying, What do you think of the Christ? Whose son is He? They said to Him, David’s. He said to them, How then does David in the spirit call Him Lord, saying, The Lord said to my Lord: Sit at My right hand, till I make Your enemies Your footstool?’ If David, therefore, calls Him ‘Lord,’ how is He his son? And no one could answer Him a word; neither did anyone dare from that day forth to ask Him any more questions. S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

In the Epistle, St. Paul insists on the unity of the Church: one Lord, one faith, one baptism.’
    The Gospel, like that for the preceding Sunday, recounts our Lord’s teaching to the Pharisees; this time it is on the importance of charity towards one’s neighbour, which is really the same as the love of God. He reminds them too, of the great truth which sums up the history of the Jewish people, that the Messias, though He is his son, is greater than David.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year. Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol, O.S.B, The Talbot Press, Dublin 1957, pp 678.

Twenty-fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 133

Gospel MT 20:1-16A
    Jesus told his disciples this parable:
    “The kingdom of heaven is like a landowner
    who went out at dawn to hire laborers for his vineyard.
    After agreeing with them for the usual daily wage,
    he sent them into his vineyard.
    Going out about nine o’clock,
    the landowner saw others standing idle in the marketplace,
    and he said to them, ‘You too go into my vineyard,
    and I will give you what is just.’
    So they went off.
    And he went out again around noon,
    and around three o’clock, and did likewise.
    Going out about five o’clock,
    the landowner found others standing around, and said to them,
    ‘Why do you stand here idle all day?’
    They answered, ‘Because no one has hired us.’
    He said to them, ‘You too go into my vineyard.’
    When it was evening the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman,
    ‘Summon the laborers and give them their pay,
    beginning with the last and ending with the first.’
    When those who had started about five o’clock came,
    each received the usual daily wage.
    So when the first came, they thought that they would receive more,
    but each of them also got the usual wage.
    And on receiving it they grumbled against the landowner, saying,
    ‘These last ones worked only one hour,
    and you have made them equal to us,
    who bore the day’s burden and the heat.’
    He said to one of them in reply,
    ‘My friend, I am not cheating you.
    Did you not agree with me for the usual daily wage?
    Take what is yours and go.
    What if I wish to give this last one the same as you?
    Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money?
    Are you envious because I am generous?’
    Thus, the last will be first, and the first will be last.”

Commentary:
    20:1-16 The parable of the Householder highlights God's generosity (20:15). It refers to Israel's labor throughout salvation history and climaxes with the inclusion of the Gentiles in the New Covenant.

Seventeenth Sunday After Pentecost

Commemoration of SS Cosmas and Damian

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Ephésios.

Ephes iv. 1-6

Fratres: Obsecro vos ego vinctus in Dómino, ut digne ambulétis vocatióne, qua vocáti estis, cum omni humilitáte et mansuetúdine, cum patiéntia, supportántes ínvicem in caritáte, sollíciti serváre unitátem spíritus in vínculo pacis. Unum corpus et unus spíritus, sicut vocáti estis in una spe vocatiónis vestræ. Unus Dóminus, una fides, unum baptísma. Unus Deus et Pater ómnium, qui est super omnes et per ómnia et in ómnibus nobis. Qui est benedíctus in saecula sæculórum. Amen.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson

Ephes iv. 1-6

Brethren: I, the prisoner in the Lord, exhort you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all humility and meekness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, careful to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace: one body and one Spirit, even as you were called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one Baptism, one God and Father of all, Who is above all, and throughout all, and in us all, Who is blessed forever and ever. Amen..
    R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt xxii. 34-46

I In illo témpore: Accessérunt ad Iesum pharisaei: et interrogávit eum unus ex eis legis doctor, tentans eum: Magíster, quod est mandátum magnum in lege? Ait illi Iesus: Díliges Dóminum, Deum tuum, ex toto corde tuo et in tota ánima tua et in tota mente tua. Hoc est máximum et primum mandátum. Secúndum autem símile est huic: Díliges próximum tuum sicut teípsum. In his duóbus mandátis univérsa lex pendet et prophétæ. Congregátis autem pharisaeis, interrogávit eos Iesus, dicens: Quid vobis vidétur de Christo? cuius fílius est? Dicunt ei: David. Ait illis: Quómodo ergo David in spíritu vocat eum Dóminum, dicens: Dixit Dóminus Dómino meo, sede a dextris meis, donec ponam inimícos tuos scabéllum pedum tuórum? Si ergo David vocat eum Dóminum, quómodo fílius eius est? Et nemo poterat ei respóndere verbum: neque ausus fuit quisquam ex illa die eum ámplius interrogáre.
    R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Matt xxii. 34-46

At that time, the Pharisees came to Jesus and one of them, a doctor of the Law, putting Him to the test, asked Him, Master, which is the great commandment in the Law? Jesus said to him, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with your whole heart, and with your whole soul, and with your whole mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. And the second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets. Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus questioned them, saying, What do you think of the Christ? Whose son is He? They said to Him, David’s. He said to them, How then does David in the spirit call Him Lord, saying, The Lord said to my Lord: Sit at My right hand, till I make Your enemies Your footstool?’ If David, therefore, calls Him ‘Lord,’ how is He his son? And no one could answer Him a word; neither did anyone dare from that day forth to ask Him any more questions. S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

In the Epistle, St. Paul insists on the unity of the Church: one Lord, one faith, one baptism.’
    The Gospel, like that for the preceding Sunday, recounts our Lord’s teaching to the Pharisees; this time it is on the importance of charity towards one’s neighbour, which is really the same as the love of God. He reminds them too, of the great truth which sums up the history of the Jewish people, that the Messias, though He is his son, is greater than David.
    The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year. Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol, O.S.B, The Talbot Press, Dublin 1957, pp 678.

PS I posted the wrong Mass, albeit with the correct Commemoration last Sunday. Anyhow don't worry. It's still a good message worth repeating. Don't be flinging around traffic cones like the owner of Damascus Gate was doing this morning, over it, I suppose a lot of business owners are at the fling traffic cones stage. Anyhow.:pac:

Twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 136

Matt 21:28 - 32
    Jesus said to the chief priests and elders of the people:
    "What is your opinion?
    A man had two sons.
    He came to the first and said,
    'Son, go out and work in the vineyard today.'
    He said in reply, 'I will not, '
    but afterwards changed his mind and went.
    The man came to the other son and gave the same order.
    He said in reply, 'Yes, sir, ‘but did not go.
    Which of the two did his father's will?"
    They answered, "The first."
    Jesus said to them, "Amen, I say to you,
    tax collectors and prostitutes
    are entering the kingdom of God before you.
    When John came to you in the way of righteousness,
    you did not believe him;
    but tax collectors and prostitutes did.
    Yet even when you saw that,
    you did not later change your minds and believe him."

Commentary:
    The parable of the Two Sons explains the preceding question about John the Baptist's authority (21:25). The sons (21:28) represent two groups of people: the first are sinners who repent at the preaching of John (21:32); the second are Israel's leaders, who refuse the Baptist's message, even when tax collectors and harlots (21:32) respond to him

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭monara

Glad to have found this forum as our weekly scripture group has been been discontinued because of covid.

An interesting reading. The first son seems to respond rudely to his father, hardly excusable even if he later thinks better of it. The second son is polite but has a change of heart, hardly excusable either having given his word. But my difficulty with the passage is the punch line; a distinction based on order of entry into the kingdom. I would have thought that entry into the kingdom was the important thing and that order of entry did not matter. I also think that mentioning tax collectors and prostitutes together, with the suggestion that they were, ipso facto,
    unworthy of the kingdom smacks of rash judgement.

Twenty-seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 139

Gospel MT 21:33-43
    Jesus said to the chief priests and the elders of the people:
    "Hear another parable.
    There was a landowner who planted a vineyard,
    put a hedge around it, dug a wine press in it, and built a tower.
    Then he leased it to tenants and went on a journey.
    When vintage time drew near,
    he sent his servants to the tenants to obtain his produce.
    But the tenants seized the servants and one they beat,
    another they killed, and a third they stoned.
    Again he sent other servants, more numerous than the first ones,
    but they treated them in the same way.
    Finally, he sent his son to them, thinking,
    'They will respect my son.'
    But when the tenants saw the son, they said to one another,
    'This is the heir.
    Come, let us kill him and acquire his inheritance.’
    They seized him, threw him out of the vineyard, and killed him.
    What will the owner of the vineyard do to those tenants when he comes?"
    They answered him,
    "He will put those wretched men to a wretched death
    and lease his vineyard to other tenants
    who will give him the produce at the proper times."
    Jesus said to them, "Did you never read in the Scriptures:
    The stone that the builders rejected
    has become the cornerstone;
    by the Lord has this been done,
    and it is wonderful in our eyes?
    Therefore, I say to you,
    the kingdom of God will be taken away from you
    and given to a people that will produce its fruit."

Commentary:
    The parable of the Wicked Tenants is an allegory—i.e., each of its details is important and symbolic (cf. Is 5:1-2). The householder is God (21:33) and the vineyard is Jerusalem (21:33). The tenants are Israel's leaders (21:33, 45) while the servants are OT prophets persecuted for warning Israel of its sins (21:34; cf. 23:37). The son is Jesus, who will be thrown out of the vineyard and crucified outside the city

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 3747-3751). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

Eighteenth Sunday After Pentecost

Commemoration of St Francis of Assisi

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Corinthios

1 Cor I, 4-8

Fratres: Grátias ago Deo meo semper pro vobis in grátia Dei, quæ data est vobis in Christo Iesu: quod in ómnibus dívites facti estis in illo, in omni verbo et in omni sciéntia: sicut testimónium Christi confirmátum est in vobis: ita ut nihil vobis desit in ulla grátia, exspectántibus revelatiónem Dómini nostri Iesu Christi, qui et confirmábit vos usque in finem sine crímine, in die advéntus Dómini nostri Iesu Christi.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson

1 Cor I, 4-8

Brethren: I give thanks to my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given you in Christ Jesus, because in everything you have been enriched in Him, in all utterance and in all knowledge; even as the witness to the Christ has been made so firm in you that you lack no grace, while awaiting the appearance of our Lord Jesus Christ, Who will also keep you secure unto the end, unimpeachable in the day of the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt ix, 1-8

I[/COLORn illo témpore: Ascéndens Iesus in navículam, transfretávit et venit in civitátem suam. Et ecce, offerébant ei paralýticum iacéntem in lecto. Et videns Iesus fidem illórum, dixit paralýtico: Confíde, fili, remittúntur tibi peccáta tua. Et ecce, quidam de scribis dixérunt intra se: Hic blasphémat. Et cum vidísset Iesus cogitatiónes eórum, dixit: Ut quid cogitátis mala in córdibus vestris? Quid est facílius dícere: Dimittúntur tibi peccáta tua; an dícere: Surge et ámbula? Ut autem sciátis, quia Fílius hóminis habet potestátem in terra dimitténdi peccáta, tunc ait paralýtico: Surge, tolle lectum tuum, et vade in domum tuam. Et surréxit et ábiit in domum suam. Vidéntes autem turbæ timuérunt, et glorificavérunt Deum, qui dedit potestátem talem homínibus.
    R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Matt ix, 1-8

At that time, Jesus, getting into a boat, crossed over and came to his own town. And behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a pallet. And Jesus, seeing their faith, said to the paralytic, Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven you. And behold, some of the scribes said within themselves, This man blasphemes. And Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, Why do you harbor evil thoughts in your hearts? For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Arise, and walk’? But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins, - then He said to the paralytic - Arise, take up your pallet and go to your house. And he arose, and went away to his house. But when the crowds saw it, they were struck with fear, and glorified God Who had given such power to men. S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

Considered as the day following Ember week, though owing to the movable date of Easter this is not always the case, this Sunday was formerly a vacant Sunday of account of the long ceremonial of the eve. Later it was given a Mass which has been composed for the dedication of the church of St. Michael in Rome.
    The Gospel is connected with the liturgy of the Ember days in that it speaks on the forgiveness of sins.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year. Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol, O.S.B, The Talbot Press, Dublin 1957, p 698

• Advertisement

Nineteenth Sunday After Pentecost

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Commemoration of the Maternity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Ephésios

Ephes iv, 23-28

Fratres: Renovámini spíritu mentis vestræ, et indúite novum hóminem, qui secúndum Deum creátus est in iustítia et sanctitáte veritátis. Propter quod deponéntes mendácium, loquímini veritátem unusquísque cum próximo suo: quóniam sumus ínvicem membra. Irascímini, et nolíte peccáre: sol non occídat super iracúndiam vestram. Nolíte locum dare diábolo: qui furabátur, iam non furétur; magis autem labóret, operándo mánibus suis, quod bonum est, ut hábeat, unde tríbuat necessitátem patiénti.
    R Deo gratias.

Lesson

Ephes iv, 23-28

Brethren: Be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new man, which has been created according to God in justice and holiness of truth. Wherefore, put away lying and speak truth each one with his neighbor, because we are members of one another. Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down upon your anger; do not give place to the devil. He who was wont to steal, let him steal no longer; but rather let him labor, working with his hands at what is good, that he may have something to share with him who suffers need.
    R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt 22:1-14

In illo témpore: Loquebátur Iesus princípibus sacerdótum et pharisaeis in parábolis, dicens: Símile factum est regnum coelórum hómini regi, qui fecit núptias fílio suo. Et misit servos suos vocáre invitátos ad nuptias, et nolébant veníre. Iterum misit álios servos, dicens: Dícite invitátis: Ecce, prándium meum parávi, tauri mei et altília occísa sunt, et ómnia paráta: veníte ad núptias. Illi autem neglexérunt: et abiérunt, álius in villam suam, álius vero ad negotiatiónem suam: réliqui vero tenuérunt servos eius, et contuméliis afféctos occidérunt. Rex autem cum audísset, iratus est: et, missis exercítibus suis, pérdidit homicídas illos et civitátem illórum succéndit. Tunc ait servis suis: Núptiæ quidem parátæ sunt, sed, qui invitáti erant, non fuérunt digni. Ite ergo ad exitus viárum et, quoscúmque invenéritis, vocáte ad núptias. Et egréssi servi eius in vias, congregavérunt omnes, quos invenérunt, malos et bonos: et implétæ sunt núptiæ discumbéntium. Intrávit autem rex, ut vidéret discumbéntes, et vidit ibi hóminem non vestítum veste nuptiáli. Et ait illi: Amíce, quómodo huc intrásti non habens vestem nuptiálem? At ille obmútuit. Tunc dixit rex minístris: Ligátis mánibus et pédibus eius, míttite eum in ténebras exterióres: ibi erit fletus et stridor déntium. Multi enim sunt vocáti, pauci vero elécti.
    R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Matt 22:1-14

At that time, Jesus spoke to the chief priests and the Pharisees in parables, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like a king who made a marriage feast for his son. And he sent his servants to call in those invited to the marriage feast for his son. And he sent his servants to call in those invited to the marriage feast, but they would not come. Again he sent out other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, behold, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and fatlings are killed, and everything is ready; come to the marriage feast.’ But they made light of it, and went off, one to his farm, and another to his business; and the rest laid hold of his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them. But when the king heard of it, he was angry; and he sent his armies, destroyed those murderers, and burnt their city. Then he said to his servants, ‘The marriage feast indeed is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy; go therefore to the crossroads, and invite to the marriage feast whomever you shall find.’ And his servants went out into the roads, and gathered all whom they found, both good and bad; and the marriage feast was filled with guests. Now the king went in to see the guests, and he saw there a man who had not on a wedding garment. And he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?’ But he was speechless. Then the king said to the attendants, ‘Bind his hands and feet and cast him forth into the darkness outside, where there will be the weeping and the gnashing of teeth.’ For many are called, but few are chosen. S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

The Epistle, Gospel and Collect teach us that God requires from those that serve him poverty of spirit and fear of sin.
    The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year. Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol, O.S.B, The Talbot Press, Dublin 1957, p 701.

Twenty-eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 142

Gospel
    MT 22:1-14 OR 22:1-10
    Jesus again in reply spoke to the chief priests and elders of the people
    in parables, saying,
    "The kingdom of heaven may be likened to a king
    who gave a wedding feast for his son.
    He dispatched his servants
    to summon the invited guests to the feast,
    but they refused to come.
    A second time he sent other servants, saying,
    ‘Tell those invited: “Behold, I have prepared my banquet,
    my calves and fattened cattle are killed,
    and everything is ready; come to the feast.”’
    Some ignored the invitation and went away,
    one to his farm, another to his business.
    The rest laid hold of his servants,
    mistreated them, and killed them.
    The king was enraged and sent his troops,
    destroyed those murderers, and burned their city.
    Then he said to his servants, 'The feast is ready,
    but those who were invited were not worthy to come.
    Go out, therefore, into the main roads
    and invite to the feast whomever you find.’
    The servants went out into the streets
    and gathered all they found, bad and good alike,
    and the hall was filled with guests.
    But when the king came in to meet the guests,
    he saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment.
    The king said to him, 'My friend, how is it
    that you came in here without a wedding garment?'
    But he was reduced to silence.
    Then the king said to his attendants, 'Bind his hands and feet,
    and cast him into the darkness outside,
    where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.’
    Many are invited, but few are chosen."

Commentary:
    22:2 marriage feast: An image of rejoicing and communion with God. • The background is probably Is 25:6-9, where the salvation of God's people is portrayed as a joyful banquet.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭monara

Manach wrote: »
    Twenty-eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 142

Gospel
    MT 22:1-14 OR 22:1-10

Go out, therefore, into the main roads
    and invite to the feast whomever you find.’
    The servants went out into the streets
    and gathered all they found, bad and good alike,
    and the hall was filled with guests.
    But when the king came in to meet the guests,
    he saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment.
    The king said to him, 'My friend, how is it
    that you came in here without a wedding garment?'
    But he was reduced to silence.
    Then the king said to his attendants, 'Bind his hands and feet,
    and cast him into the darkness outside,
    where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.’
    Many are invited, but few are chosen."

Commentary:
    22:2 marriage feast: An image of rejoicing and communion with God. • The background is probably Is 25:6-9, where the salvation of God's people is portrayed as a joyful banquet.

A lovely parable but I'm not sure I know what it means. Were all those gathered from the streets in wedding garments? And if someone came inappropriately clad why punish him by binding his hands and feet? He was responding to an invitation after all and no host would have the right to punish any invitee in this way.
    The final sentence is absurd. Many invited but few chosen? Then why invite them? This runs counter to the modern drift towards universalism and I'm not sure if it makes sense.

monara wrote: »
    A lovely parable but I'm not sure I know what it means. Were all those gathered from the streets in wedding garments? And if someone came inappropriately clad why punish him by binding his hands and feet? He was responding to an invitation after all and no host would have the right to punish any invitee in this way.
    The final sentence is absurd. Many invited but few chosen? Then why invite them? This runs counter to the modern drift towards universalism and I'm not sure if it makes sense.

This was part of the Gospel of last Sunday for the traditional Mass. The hand missal has a short commentary that the wedding garments talks of the 'scarlet robe of charity, a robe which should be double-dyed with the love of God and our neighbour,' and that if we forget our neighbour, we forget God. Those with the garment could be taken as, in failing to show the respect of wearing a wedding garment, as lacking that love, so they are put out into the darkness.

Twentieth Sunday After Pentecost

Commemoration of St Luke the Evangelist

Semi-double

White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Ephésios

Ephes v, 15-21

F ratres: Vidéte, quómodo caute ambulétis: non quasi insipiéntes, sed ut sapiéntes, rediméntes tempus, quóniam dies mali sunt. Proptérea nolíte fíeri imprudéntes, sed intellegéntes, quae sit volúntas Dei. Et nolíte inebriári vino, in quo est luxúria: sed implémini Spíritu Sancto, loquéntes vobismetípsis in psalmis et hymnis et cánticis spirituálibus, cantántes et psalléntes in córdibus vestris Dómino: grátias agéntes semper pro ómnibus, in nómine Dómini nostri Iesu Christi, Deo et Patri. Subiecti ínvicem in timóre Christi.
    R Deo gratias.

Lesson

Ephes v, 15-21

B rethren: See to it that you walk with care: not as unwise but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. Therefore, do not become foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not be drunk with wine, for in that is debauchery; but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord, giving thanks always for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father. Be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Ioánnem.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioannes iv, 46-53

In illo témpore: Erat quidam régulus, cuius fílius infirmabátur Caphárnaum. Hic cum audísset, quia Iesus adveníret a Iudaea in Galilaeam, ábiit ad eum, et rogábat eum, ut descénderet et sanáret fílium eius: incipiébat enim mori. Dixit ergo Iesus ad eum: Nisi signa et prodígia vidéritis, non créditis. Dicit ad eum régulus: Dómine, descénde, priúsquam moriátur fílius meus. Dicit ei Iesus: Vade, fílius tuus vivit. Crédidit homo sermóni, quem dixit ei Iesus, et ibat. Iam autem eo descendénte, servi occurrérunt ei et nuntiavérunt, dicéntes, quia fílius eius víveret. Interrogábat ergo horam ab eis, in qua mélius habúerit. Et dixérunt ei: Quia heri hora séptima relíquit eum febris. Cognóvit ergo pater, quia illa hora erat, in qua dixit ei Iesus: Fílius tuus vivit: et crédidit ipse et domus eius tota.
    R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel
    Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to John
    John iv, 46-53

A t that time, there was a certain royal official whose son was lying sick at Capharnaum. When he heard that Jesus had come from Judea into Galilee, he went to Him and besought Him to come down and heal his son, for he was at the point of death. Jesus therefore said to him, Unless you see signs and wonders, you do not believe. The royal official said to Him, Sir, come down before my child dies. Jesus said to him, Go your way, your son lives. The man believed the word that Jesus spoke to him, and departed. But even as he was now going down, his servants met him and brought word saying that his son lived. He asked of them therefore the hour in which he had got better. And they told him, Yesterday, at the seventh hour, the fever left him. The father knew then that it was at that very hour in which Jesus had said to him, Your son lives. And he himself believed, and his whole household. S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

The attitude of the royal official is an example of what our faith ought to be. Our Lord seems to put him off, but once again he implores Him to come and heal his dying son. Jesus does not come, but he assures the official that his child will recover. And, the man believed the word that Jesus had spoken to him,’ although only some time later did h learn that the miracle had happened.

The Saint Jerome Sunday Missal with liturgical commentary, edited by Reverend Thomas B. McDonough S.T.L. J.D. and Joseph Marren M.A., English edition edited by Dr. J. Molloy, Ph.D. Virtue and Company, Limited, London, 1966, p. 283.

Twenty-ninth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 145

Gospel
    MT 22:15-21
    The Pharisees went off
    and plotted how they might entrap Jesus in speech.
    They sent their disciples to him, with the Herodians, saying,
    "Teacher, we know that you are a truthful man
    and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth.
    And you are not concerned with anyone's opinion,
    for you do not regard a person's status.
    Tell us, then, what is your opinion:
    Is it lawful to pay the census tax to Caesar or not?"
    Knowing their malice, Jesus said,
    "Why are you testing me, you hypocrites?
    Show me the coin that pays the census tax."
    Then they handed him the Roman coin.
    He said to them, "Whose image is this and whose inscription?"
    They replied, "Caesar's."
    At that he said to them,
    "Then repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar
    and to God what belongs to God."

Commentary:
    22:21 Caesar's . . . God's: Jesus evades the intended trap (22:17) with a subtle and riddle-like response. His words have several implications. (1) At one level, Jesus plays on the word "likeness" (literally, "image"). Caesar's coins could be given back to him in taxes without religious compromise; after all, he minted the coins with his own image and they were his rightful property. (2) More important, everyone has the duty of giving himself—created in the "image" of God (Gen 1:27)—back to God. Jesus implies that this higher duty is incumbent even upon Caesar.

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 3781-3785). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

Feast of our Lord Jesus Christ the King

Commemoration of the Twentieth First Sunday after Pentecost

Double of the First Class
    White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Colossénses

Col i. 12-20

Sratres: Grátias ágimus Deo Patri, qui dignos nos fecit in partem sortis sanctórum in lúmine: qui erípuit nos de potestáte tenebrárum, et tránstulit in regnum Fílii dilectiónis suæ, in quo habémus redemptiónem per sánguinem eius, remissiónem peccatórum: qui est imágo Dei invisíbilis, primogénitus omnis creatúra: quóniam in ipso cóndita sunt univérsa in cœlis et in terra, visibília et invisibília, sive Throni, sive Dominatiónes, sive Principátus, sive Potestátes: ómnia per ipsum, et in ipso creáta sunt: et ipse est ante omnes, et ómnia in ipso constant. Et ipse est caput córporis Ecclésiæ, qui est princípium, primogénitus ex mórtuis: ut sit in ómnibus ipse primátum tenens; quia in ipso complácuit omnem plenitúdinem inhabitáre; et per eum reconciliáre ómnia in ipsum, pacíficans per sánguinem crucis eius, sive quæ in terris, sive quæ in cœlis sunt, in Christo Iesu Dómino nostro.
    R Deo gratias.

Lesson
    Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Colossians

Col 1. 12-20

Brethren: We give thanks to God the Father Who has made us worthy to share the lot of the saints in light. He has rescued us from the power of darkness, and transferred us into the kingdom of His beloved Son, in Whom we have our redemption through His blood, the remission of sins. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature. For in Him were created all things in the heavens and on the earth, things visible and things invisible, whether Thrones, or Dominations, or Principalities, or Powers. All things have been created through and unto Him, and He is before all creatures, and in Him all things hold together. Again, He is the head of the body, the Church; He, Who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the first place. For it has pleased [God the Father] that in Him all fullness should dwell and that through Him He should reconcile to Himself all things, whether on the earth or in the heavens, making peace through the blood of His Cross, in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Ioánnem.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioann xviii. 33-37

In illo témpore: Dixit Pilátus ad Iesum: Tu es Rex Iudæórum? Respóndit Iesus: A temetípso hoc dicis, an álii dixérunt tibi de me? Respóndit Pilátus: Numquid ego Iudǽus sum? Gens tua et pontífices tradidérunt te mihi: quid fecísti? Respóndit Iesus: Regnum meum non est de hoc mundo. Si ex hoc mundo esset regnum meum, minístri mei útique decertárent, ut non tráderer Iudǽis: nunc autem regnum meum non est hinc. Dixit ítaque ei Pilátus: Ergo Rex es tu? Respóndit Iesus: Tu dicis, quia Rex sum ego. Ego in hoc natus sum et ad hoc veni in mundum, ut testimónium perhíbeam veritáti: omnis, qui est ex veritáte, audit vocem meam.
    R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to John

John xviii. 33 - 37

At that time, Pilate said to Jesus, Are You the King of the Jews? Jesus answered, Do you say this of yourself, or have others told you of Me? Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? Your own people and the chief priests have delivered You to me. What have You done? Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My followers would certainly have fought that I might not be delivered to the Jews. But, as it is, My kingdom is not from here. Pilate therefore said to Him, You are then a King? Jesus answered, You say it: I am a King. This is why I was born, and why I have come into the world, to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice. S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

In his Encyclical of 11th December, 1925, H.H. Pius XI denounced the great modern heresy of laicism. It refuses to recognise the rights of God and His Christ over persons and peoples and organises the lives of individuals, family, and of society itself, as though God did not exist. This laicism ruins society, because in place of God and one’s neighbour, it substitutes pride and egoism. It begets jealousy between individuals, hatred between classes and rivalry between nations.

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1940/47[/i], p. 1533.

Thirtieth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Gospel MT 22:34-40
    When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees,
    they gathered together, and one of them,
    a scholar of the law tested him by asking,
    "Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?"
    He said to him,
    "You shall love the Lord, your God,
    with all your heart,
    with all your soul,
    and with all your mind.
    This is the greatest and the first commandment.
    The second is like it:
    You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
    The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments."

Commentary:
    22:40 : That the commands of the Mosaic law are distilled into Love God and your neighbour.

Feast of All Saints

Commemoration of Twenty First Sunday After Pentecost

Double of the First Class with an Octave

White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio libri Apocalýpsis beáti Joánnis Apóstoli

Apoc vii, 2-12

In diébus illis: Ecce, ego Joánnes vidi álterum Angelum ascendéntem ab ortu solis, habéntem signum Dei vivi: et clamávit voce magna quátuor Angelis, quibus datum est nocére terræ et mari, dicens: Nolíte nocére terræ et mari neque arbóribus, quoadúsque signémus servos Dei nostri in fróntibus eórum. Et audívi númerum signatórum, centum quadragínta quátuor mília signáti, ex omni tribu filiórum Israël, Ex tribu Juda duódecim mília signáti. Ex tribu Ruben duódecim mília signáti. Ex tribu Gad duódecim mília signati. Ex tribu Aser duódecim mília signáti. Ex tribu Néphthali duódecim mília signáti. Ex tribu Manásse duódecim mília signáti. Ex tribu Símeon duódecim mília signáti. Ex tribu Levi duódecim mília signáti. Ex tribu Issachar duódecim mília signati. Ex tribu Zábulon duódecim mília signáti. Ex tribu Joseph duódecim mília signati. Ex tribu Bénjamin duódecim mília signáti. Post hæc vidi turbam magnam, quam dinumeráre nemo póterat, ex ómnibus géntibus et tríbubus et pópulis et linguis: stantes ante thronum et in conspéctu Agni, amícti stolis albis, et palmæ in mánibus eórum: et clamábant voce magna, dicéntes: Salus Deo nostro, qui sedet super thronum, et Agno. Et omnes Angeli stabant in circúitu throni et seniórum et quátuor animálium: et cecidérunt in conspéctu throni in fácies suas et adoravérunt Deum, dicéntes: Amen. Benedíctio et cláritas et sapiéntia et gratiárum áctio, honor et virtus et fortitúdo Deo nostro in sǽcula sæculórum. Amen.
    R Deo gratias.

Lesson
    Lesson from the book of Revelation

Apoc vii, 2-12

Bn those days, behold, I John, saw another angel ascending from the rising of the sun, having the seal of the living God; and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, who had it in their power to harm the earth and the sea, saying, Do not harm the earth or the sea or the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads. And I heard the number of those who were sealed, a hundred and forty-four thousand sealed, out of every tribe of the children of Israel; of the tribe of Juda, twelve thousand sealed; of the tribe of Ruben, twelve thousand; of the tribe of Gad, twelve thousand; of the tribe of Aser, twelve thousand; of the tribe of Nephthali, twelve thousand; of the tribe of Manasses, twelve thousand; of the tribe of Simeon, twelve thousand; of the tribe of Levi, twelve thousand; of the tribe of Issachar, twelve thousand; of the tribe of Zabulon, twelve thousand; of the tribe of Joseph, twelve thousand; of the tribe of Benjamin, twelve thousand sealed. After this I saw a great multitude which no man could number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, and with palms in their hands. And they cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation belongs to our God Who sits upon the throne, and to the Lamb. And all the angels were standing round about the throne, and the elders and the four living creatures; and they fell on their faces before the throne and worshipped God, saying, Amen. Blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honor and power and strength to our God forever and ever. Amen.

R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt vi, 1-12
    In illo témpore: Videns Jesus turbas, ascéndit in montem, et cum sedísset, accessérunt ad eum discípuli ejus, et apériens os suum, docébat eos, dicens: Beáti páuperes spíritu: quóniam ipsórum est regnum cœlórum. Beáti mites: quóniam ipsi possidébunt terram. Beáti, qui lugent: quóniam ipsi consolabúntur. Beáti, qui esúriunt et sítiunt justítiam: quóniam ipsi saturabúntur. Beáti misericórdes: quóniam ipsi misericórdiam consequéntur. Beáti mundo corde: quóniam ipsi Deum vidébunt. Beáti pacífici: quóniam fílii Dei vocabúntur. Beáti, qui persecutiónem patiúntur propter justítiam: quóniam ipsórum est regnum cælórum. Beáti estis, cum maledíxerint vobis, et persecúti vos fúerint, et díxerint omne malum advérsum vos, mentiéntes, propter me: gaudéte et exsultáte, quóniam merces vestra copiósa est in cœlis.
    R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel
    Matt vi, 1-12

At that time, Jesus seeing the crowds, went up the mountain. And when He was seated, His disciples came to Him. And opening His mouth He taught them, saying, Blessed are the poor is spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth. Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for justice, for they shall be satisfied. Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the clean of heart, for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God. Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when men reproach you, and persecute you, and, speaking falsely, say all manner of evil against you, for My sake. Rejoice and exult, because your reward is great in heaven. S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

In the year 610 Pope Boniface IV converted the temple in Rome called the Pantheon, i.e. Temple of All the Gods, into a Christian church dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and all the martyrs, There he had brought from the Catacombs the bones of countless unknown martyrs; so the anniversary of the dedication of this church was kept as a feast in honour of all Christian martyrs. Later, the feast was extended to include all saints of God, and was transferred to November 1st. The Introit is that of the Mass of St Agatha, used later for other feasts: the Gospel, Offertory and Communion are taken from the Common of the Martyrs.
    The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 1197.

• Advertisement

Gospel MT 5:1-12A

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain,
    and after he had sat down, his disciples came to him.
    He began to teach them, saying:
    “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven.
    Blessed are they who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
    Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the land.
    Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be satisfied.
    Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
    Blessed are the clean of heart,
    for they will see God.
    Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.
    Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
    for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven.
    Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you
    and utter every kind of evil against you falsely because of me.
    Rejoice and be glad,
    for your reward will be great in heaven.”

Commentary:
    5:1-7:29 The Sermon on the Mount encapsulates the Law of the New Covenant. It is a collection of Jesus' teachings on Christian living and his perfection of Old Covenant moral laws (5:17).

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament

Advertisement