Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Sunday's Gospel

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Second Sunday of Easter (or Sunday of Divine Mercy)
    Lectionary: 43

Gospel
    Jn 20:19-31
    On the evening of that first day of the week,
    when the doors were locked, where the disciples were,
    for fear of the Jews,
    Jesus came and stood in their midst
    and said to them, “Peace be with you.”
    When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side.
    The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
    Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you.
    As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”
    And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them,
    “Receive the Holy Spirit.
    Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them,
    and whose sins you retain are retained.”
    Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve,
    was not with them when Jesus came.
    So the other disciples said to him, “We have seen the Lord.”
    But he said to them,
    “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands
    and put my finger into the nailmarks
    and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”
    Now a week later his disciples were again inside
    and Thomas was with them.
    Jesus came, although the doors were locked,
    and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.”
    Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands,
    and bring your hand and put it into my side,
    and do not be unbelieving, but believe.”
    Thomas answered and said to him, “My Lord and my God!”
    Jesus said to him, “Have you come to believe because you have seen me?
    Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.”
    Now, Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples
    that are not written in this book.
    But these are written that you may come to believe
    that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God,
    and that through this belief you may have life in his name.

Source : http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/
    Irish : https://www.catholicireland.net/read...day&lang=irish
    Audio : http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings-audio.cfm

Commentary:
    20:20 his hands and his side: The point is that Jesus is raised not simply with a body, but with the same body that was crucified and died only days earlier (20:25, 27). He carries these marks of his earthly sacrifice with him even when he ascends into heaven

Hahn, Scott. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament . Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Dominica II post Pascha

Good Shepherd Sunday

Semi Duplex Semi Double

Commemoration of SS Cletus and Marcellinus, Popes and Martyrs

White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Petri Apóstoli.

1 Petri ii, 21-25.

Caríssimi: Christus passus est pro nobis, vobis relínquens exémplum, ut sequámini vestígia ejus. Qui peccátum non fecit, nec invéntus est dolus in ore ejus: qui cum male dicerétur, non maledicébat: cum paterétur, non comminabátur: tradébat autem judicánti se injúste: qui peccáta nostra ipse pértulit in córpore suo super lignum: ut, peccátis mórtui, justítiæ vivámus: cujus livóre sanáti estis. Erátis enim sicut oves errántes, sed convérsi estis nunc ad pastórem et epíscopum animárum vestrárum.
    R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the first letter of St John the Apostle

1 Peter ii, 21-25.

Dearly beloved, Christ suffered for us, leaving you an example, that you should follow His steps who did no sin, neither was guile found in His mouth. Who when He was reviled, did not revile: when He suffered, He threatened not, but delivered Himself to him that judged Him unjustly: who His own self bore our sins in His body upon the tree: that we, being dead to sins, should live to justice; by whose stripes you were healed. For you were as sheep going astray: but you are now converted to the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Ioánnem.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioannes X, 11-16.

In illo témpore: Dixit Jesus pharisaeis: Ego sum pastor bonus. Bonus pastor ánimam suam dat pro óvibus suis. Mercennárius autem et qui non est pastor, cujus non sunt oves própriæ, videt lupum veniéntem, et dimíttit oves et fugit: et lupus rapit et dispérgit oves: mercennárius autem fugit, quia mercennárius est et non pértinet ad eum de óvibus. Ego sum pastor bonus: et cognósco meas et cognóscunt me meæ. Sicut novit me Pater, et ego agnósco Patrem, et ánimam meam pono pro óvibus meis. Et alias oves hábeo, quæ non sunt ex hoc ovili: et illas opórtet me addúcere, et vocem meam áudient, et fiet unum ovíle et unus pastor.
    R. Laus tibi, Christe!

S. Per Evangelica dicta, deleantur nostra delicta.

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to John

R. Glory be to Thee, O Lord.

John X. 11-16

At that time Jesus said to the Pharisees: I am the good Shepherd. The good Shepherd giveth his life for his sheep. But the hireling, and he that is not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming and leaveth the sheep and flieth: and the wolf catcheth and scattereth the sheep: and the hireling flieth, because he is a hireling, and he hath no care for the sheep. I am the good Shepherd: and I know Mine, and Mine know Me, as the Father knoweth Me, and I know the Father: and I lay down My life for My sheep. And other sheep I have that are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear My voice, and there shall be one fold and one shepherd.

R.
    Praise be to Thee, O Christ.

S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

‘The Good Shepherd’ says St Gregory, ‘gave His life for His sheep, that in our sacrament He might change His Body and Blood into food with which to fill all whom He had ransomed. He has shown us the way we must follow, and set before our eye the example to which we must conform.’
    ‘Our first duty is to give our external goods on behalf of Christ’s sheep; but further if necessary, we must give our life for them. If a man will not give his goods for the sheep of Christ, will he sacrifice for them his life?’ (Matins)

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sundays and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre O.S.B. of the Abbey of S. André, Bruges, 1947, p. 657.

Third Sunday of Easter
    Lectionary: 46

GospelLK 24:13-35
    That very day, the first day of the week,
    two of Jesus’ disciples were going
    to a village seven miles from Jerusalem called Emmaus,
    and they were conversing about all the things that had occurred.
    And it happened that while they were conversing and debating,
    Jesus himself drew near and walked with them,
    but their eyes were prevented from recognizing him.
    He asked them,
    “What are you discussing as you walk along?”
    They stopped, looking downcast.
    One of them, named Cleopas, said to him in reply,
    “Are you the only visitor to Jerusalem
    who does not know of the things
    that have taken place there in these days?”
    And he replied to them, “What sort of things?”
    They said to him,
    “The things that happened to Jesus the Nazarene,
    who was a prophet mighty in deed and word
    before God and all the people,
    how our chief priests and rulers both handed him over
    to a sentence of death and crucified him.
    But we were hoping that he would be the one to redeem Israel;
    and besides all this,
    it is now the third day since this took place.
    Some women from our group, however, have astounded us:
    they were at the tomb early in the morning
    and did not find his body;
    they came back and reported
    that they had indeed seen a vision of angels
    who announced that he was alive.
    Then some of those with us went to the tomb
    and found things just as the women had described,
    but him they did not see.”
    And he said to them, “Oh, how foolish you are!
    How slow of heart to believe all that the prophets spoke!
    Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things
    and enter into his glory?”
    Then beginning with Moses and all the prophets,
    he interpreted to them what referred to him
    in all the Scriptures.
    As they approached the village to which they were going,
    he gave the impression that he was going on farther.
    But they urged him, “Stay with us,
    for it is nearly evening and the day is almost over.”
    So he went in to stay with them.
    And it happened that, while he was with them at table,
    he took bread, said the blessing,
    broke it, and gave it to them.
    With that their eyes were opened and they recognized him,
    but he vanished from their sight.
    Then they said to each other,
    “Were not our hearts burning within us
    while he spoke to us on the way and opened the Scriptures to us?”
    So they set out at once and returned to Jerusalem
    where they found gathered together
    the eleven and those with them who were saying,
    “The Lord has truly been raised and has appeared to Simon!”
    Then the two recounted
    what had taken place on the way
    and how he was made known to them in the breaking of bread.

Commentary:
    24:19 mighty in deed and word: Moses is described in these terms in Acts 7:22. The implication is that Jesus is the awaited prophet-like-Moses announced in Deut 18:15 (Acts 3:22-23; 7:37). Jesus was often viewed as a prophet by his contemporaries

Hahn, Scott. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament . Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

Dominica III post Pascha

Semi Duplex Semi Double

Commemoration of the finding of the Holy Cross

White Vestments

Lectio

1 Petri ii, 11-19.

Caríssimi: Obsecro vos tamquam ádvenas et peregrínos abstinére vos a carnálibus desidériis, quæ mílitant advérsus ánimam, conversatiónem vestram inter gentes habéntes bonam: ut in eo, quod detréctant de vobis tamquam de malefactóribus, ex bonis opéribus vos considerántes, gloríficent Deum in die visitatiónis. Subiécti ígitur estóte omni humánæ creatúræ propter Deum: sive regi, quasi præcellénti: sive dúcibus, tamquam ab eo missis ad vindíctam malefactórum, laudem vero bonórum: quia sic est volúntas Dei, ut benefaciéntes obmutéscere faciátis imprudéntium hóminum ignorántiam: quasi líberi, et non quasi velámen habéntes malítiæ libertátem, sed sicut servi Dei. Omnes honoráte: fraternitátem dilígite: Deum timéte: regem honorificáte Servi, súbditi estóte in omni timóre dóminis, non tantum bonis et modéstis, sed étiam dýscolis. Hæc est enim grátia: in Christo Iesu, Dómino nostro.
    R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the first letter of St Peter the Apostle

1 Peter ii, 11-19.

D early beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, to refrain yourselves from carnal desires which war against the soul, Having your conversation good among the Gentiles: that whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by the good works, which they shall behold in you, glorify God in the day of visitation. Be ye subject therefore to every human creature for God's sake: whether it be to the king as excelling; Or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of the good: For so is the will of God, that by doing well you may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men: As free, and not as making liberty a cloak for malice, but as the servants of God. Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king. Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear, not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward. For this is thankworthy, if for conscience towards God, a man endure sorrows, suffering wrongfully.
    Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioannes xvi, 16-22

I n illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Módicum, et iam non vidébitis me: et íterum módicum, et vidébitis me: quia vado ad Patrem. Dixérunt ergo ex discípulis eius ad ínvicem: Quid est hoc, quod dicit nobis: Módicum, et non vidébitis me: et íterum módicum, et vidébitis me, et quia vado ad Patrem? Dicébant ergo: Quid est hoc, quod dicit: Modicum? nescímus, quid lóquitur. Cognóvit autem Iesus, quia volébant eum interrogáre, et dixit eis: De hoc quaeritis inter vos, quia dixi: Modicum, et non vidébitis me: et íterum módicum, et vidébitis me. Amen, amen, dico vobis: quia plorábitis et flébitis vos, mundus autem gaudébit: vos autem contristabímini, sed tristítia vestra vertétur in gáudium. Múlier cum parit, tristítiam habet, quia venit hora eius: cum autem pepérerit púerum, iam non méminit pressúræ propter gáudium, quia natus est homo in mundum. Et vos igitur nunc quidem tristítiam habétis, íterum autem vidébo vos, et gaudébit cor vestrum: et gáudium vestrum nemo tollet a vobis.
    R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

John xvi. 16-22

An that time: Jesus said to his disciples: A little while, and now you shall not see me; and again a little while, and you shall see me: because I go to the Father. Then some of the disciples said one to another: What is this that he saith to us: A little while, and you shall not see me; and again a little while, and you shall see me, and, because I go to the Father? They said therefore: What is this that he saith, A little while? we know not what he speaketh. And Jesus knew that they had a mind to ask him; and he said to them: Of this do you inquire among yourselves, because I said: A little while, and you shall not see me; and again a little while, and you shall see me? Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy. A woman, when she is in labour, hath sorrow, because her hour is come; but when she hath brought forth the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world. So also you now indeed have sorrow; but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice; and your joy no man shall take from you.

R.

The Church rejoices because Christ has risen and has delivered us (Alleluia) and so sends up cries of joy (Introit) and sings the praises of God (Offertory).

St Augustine comments: ‘When he said: A little while and now you shall not see me, our Lord is speaking to those who at that moment saw Him body present, and He spoke to them in this way because He had to go to His Father, and because after His ascension His disciples would see Him no more as a mortal man, such as they saw Him to be while He was saying these things to them. This ‘little time’ seems long to us because it is still going on; but when it is finished we shall realise how short it was. Therefore let not our joy be like the worlds’. While the desire of eternity is being born within us, let not our sadness be without joy. In the words of the apostle, let us show ourselves ‘rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation (Matins).’

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sundays and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre O.S.B. of the Abbey of S. André, Bruges, 1940/47, p. 661.

Fourth Sunday of Easter
    Lectionary: 49

GospelJN 10:1-10
    Jesus said:
    “Amen, amen, I say to you,
    whoever does not enter a sheepfold through the gate
    but climbs over elsewhere is a thief and a robber.
    But whoever enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep.
    The gatekeeper opens it for him, and the sheep hear his voice,
    as the shepherd calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
    When he has driven out all his own,
    he walks ahead of them, and the sheep follow him,
    because they recognize his voice.
    But they will not follow a stranger;
    they will run away from him,
    because they do not recognize the voice of strangers.”
    Although Jesus used this figure of speech,
    the Pharisees did not realize what he was trying to tell them.

So Jesus said again, “Amen, amen, I say to you,
    I am the gate for the sheep.
    All who came before me are thieves and robbers,
    but the sheep did not listen to them.
    I am the gate.
    Whoever enters through me will be saved,
    and will come in and go out and find pasture.
    A thief comes only to steal and slaughter and destroy;
    I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly.”

Commentary:
    10:1 the sheepfold: Probably a stone wall enclosure with a single entryway, used to protect flocks at night from thieves and predators. Only the shepherd would be recognized and admitted by the designated gatekeeper (10:3). The whole illustration gives a realistic portrayal of pastoral conditions in ancient Palestine (10:1-16).

• Advertisement

Dominica IV post Pascha

Semi Duplex

White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Jacobi Apóstoli.

Ias i 17-21

Caríssimi: Omne datum óptimum, et omne donum perféctum desúrsum est, descéndens a Patre lúminum, apud quem non est transmutátio nec vicissitúdinis obumbrátio. Voluntárie enim génuit nos verbo veritátis, ut simus inítium áliquod creatúræ eius. Scitis, fratres mei dilectíssimi. Sit autem omnis homo velox ad audiéndum: tardus autem ad loquéndum et tardus ad iram. Ira enim viri iustítiam Dei non operátur. Propter quod abiiciéntes omnem immundítiam et abundántiam malítiæ, in mansuetúdine suscípite ínsitum verbum, quod potest salváre ánimas vestras.
    R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the first letter of St James the Apostle

Ias i. 17-21

Dearly beloved: Every best gift, and every perfect gift, is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no change, nor shadow of alteration. For of his own will hath he begotten us by the word of truth, that we might be some beginning of his creatures. You know, my dearest brethren. And let every man be swift to hear, but slow to speak, and slow to anger. For the anger of man worketh not the justice of God. Wherefore casting away all uncleanness, and abundance of naughtiness, with meekness receive the ingrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
    Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioannes xvi, 5-14

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Vado ad eum, qui misit me: et nemo ex vobis intérrogat me: Quo vadis? Sed quia hæc locútus sum vobis, tristítia implévit cor vestrum. Sed ego veritátem dico vobis: expédit vobis, ut ego vadam: si enim non abíero, Paráclitus non véniet ad vos: si autem abíero, mittam eum ad vos. Et cum vénerit ille. árguet mundum de peccáto et de iustítia et de iudício. De peccáto quidem, quia non credidérunt in me: de iustítia vero, quia ad Patrem vado, et iam non vidébitis me: de iudício autem, quia princeps huius mundi iam iudicátus est. Adhuc multa hábeo vobis dícere: sed non potéstis portáre modo. Cum autem vénerit ille Spíritus veritátis, docébit vos omnem veritátem. Non enim loquétur a semetípso: sed quæcúmque áudiet, loquétur, et quæ ventúra sunt, annuntiábit vobis. Ille me clarificábit: quia de meo accípiet et annuntiábit vobis.
    R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

John xvi. 5-14

A n that time: But I told you not these things from the beginning, because I was with you. And now I go to him that sent me, and none of you asketh me: Whither goest thou? But because I have spoken these things to you, sorrow hath filled your heart. But I tell you the truth: it is expedient to you that I go: for if I go not, the Paraclete will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. And when he is come, he will convince the world of sin, and of justice, and of judgment. Of sin: because they believed not in me. And of justice: because I go to the Father; and you shall see me no longer. And of judgment: because the prince of this world is already judged. I have yet many things to say to you: but you cannot bear them now. But when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will teach you all truth. For he shall not speak of himself; but what things soever he shall hear, he shall speak; and the things that are to come, he shall shew you. He shall glorify me; because he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it to you.

R.

Today’s liturgy exalts the justice of God which is shown forth by our Lord’s triumph, and by the sending of the Holy Ghost. ‘The right hand of the Lord hath wroth strength’ in raising Christ from the dead (Alleluia) and in causing Him to go into heaven on the day of His ascension. It is expedient for us that Jesus should leave the earth, for from heaven He will send to His Church the spirit of truth (Gospel) that best gift which comes from the Father of lights.

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sundays and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre O.S.B. of the Abbey of S. André, Bruges, 1940, p. 703.

Fifth Sunday of Easter
    Lectionary: 52

GospelJN 14:1-12
    Jesus said to his disciples:
    “Do not let your hearts be troubled.
    You have faith in God; have faith also in me.
    In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places.
    If there were not,
    would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?
    And if I go and prepare a place for you,
    I will come back again and take you to myself,
    so that where I am you also may be.
    Where I am going you know the way.”
    Thomas said to him,
    “Master, we do not know where you are going;
    how can we know the way?”
    Jesus said to him, "I am the way and the truth and the life.
    No one comes to the Father except through me.
    If you know me, then you will also know my Father.
    From now on you do know him and have seen him.”
    Philip said to him,
    “Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.”
    Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you for so long a time
    and you still do not know me, Philip?
    Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.
    How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
    Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?
    The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own.
    The Father who dwells in me is doing his works.
    Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me,
    or else, believe because of the works themselves.
    Amen, amen, I say to you,
    whoever believes in me will do the works that I do,
    and will do greater ones than these,
    because I am going to the Father.”

Commentary:

14:1 Let not your hearts: Jesus wants to protect his disciples from despair at his death and from discouragement when persecution comes their way (14:27; 16:33). Only the peace of God that surpasses understanding can calm their anxieties

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 11876-11877). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

Dominica V post Pascha

Semi Duplex Semi Double

Commemoration of St. Pascal Baylon

White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Jacobi Apóstoli.

Ias i. 22-27

Caríssimi: Estóte factóres verbi, et non auditóres tantum: falléntes vosmetípsos. Quia si quis audítor est verbi et non factor: hic comparábitur viro consideránti vultum nativitátis suæ in spéculo: considerávit enim se et ábiit, et statim oblítus est, qualis fúerit. Qui autem perspéxerit in legem perfectam libertátis et permánserit in ea, non audítor obliviósus factus, sed factor óperis: hic beátus in facto suo erit. Si quis autem putat se religiósum esse, non refrénans linguam suam, sed sedúcens cor suum, huius vana est relígio. Relígio munda et immaculáta apud Deum et Patrem hæc est: Visitáre pupíllos et viduas in tribulatióne eórum, et immaculátum se custodíre ab hoc saeculo.
    R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the first letter of St James the Apostle

Ias i. 22-27

D early beloved: But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. For if a man be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he shall be compared to a man beholding his own countenance in a glass. For he beheld himself, and went his way, and presently forgot what manner of man he was. But he that hath looked into the perfect law of liberty, and hath continued therein, not becoming a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work; this man shall be blessed in his deed. And if any man think himself to be religious, not bridling his tongue, but deceiving his own heart, this man's religion is vain. Religion clean and undefiled before God and the Father, is this: to visit the fatherless and widows in their tribulation: and to keep one's self unspotted from this world.
    Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioannes xvi, 23-30

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Amen, amen, dico vobis: si quid petiéritis Patrem in nómine meo, dabit vobis. Usque modo non petístis quidquam in nómine meo: Pétite, et accipiétis, ut gáudium vestrum sit plenum. Hæc in provérbiis locútus sum vobis. Venit hora, cum iam non in provérbiis loquar vobis, sed palam de Patre annuntiábo vobis. In illo die in nómine meo petétis: et non dico vobis, quia ego rogábo Patrem de vobis: ipse enim Pater amat vos, quia vos me amástis, et credidístis quia ego a Deo exívi. Exívi a Patre et veni in mundum: íterum relínquo mundum et vado ad Patrem. Dicunt ei discípuli eius: Ecce, nunc palam loquéris et provérbium nullum dicis. Nunc scimus, quia scis ómnia et non opus est tibi, ut quis te intérroget: in hoc crédimus, quia a Deo exísti.
    R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

John xvi. 23-30

An that time, Jesus said to His disciples: And in that day you shall not ask me any thing. Amen, amen I say to you: if you ask the Father any thing in my name, he will give it you. Hitherto you have not asked any thing in my name. Ask, and you shall receive; that your joy may be full. These things I have spoken to you in proverbs. The hour cometh, when I will no more speak to you in proverbs, but will shew you plainly of the Father. In that day you shall ask in my name; and I say not to you, that I will ask the Father for you: For the Father himself loveth you, because you have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God. I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again I leave the world, and I go to the Father. His disciples say to him: Behold, now thou speakest plainly, and speakest no proverb. Now we know that thou knowest all things, and thou needest not that any man should ask thee. By this we believe that thou camest forth from God.

R.

The chants of the Mass ring with joy and thanksgiving. In the Epistle St. James proclaims the need for good works, especially works of mercy to those in need; and in the Gospel our Lord teaches the marvellous efficacy of prayer in His name. The speaking of prayer to His Father and in His Name impressed the disciples with the most definite statement of Christ’s divine sonship.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 603.

Sixth Sunday of Easter
    Lectionary: 55

GospelJN 14:15-21
    “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.
    And I will ask the Father,
    and he will give you another Advocate to be with you always,
    the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot accept,
    because it neither sees nor knows him.
    But you know him, because he remains with you,
    and will be in you.
    I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.
    In a little while the world will no longer see me,
    but you will see me, because I live and you will live.
    On that day you will realize that I am in my Father
    and you are in me and I in you.
    Whoever has my commandments and observes them
    is the one who loves me.
    And whoever loves me will be loved by my Father,
    and I will love him and reveal myself to him.”

Commentary:
    14:15 If you love me: Our commitment to Christ is proved by works and not merely by words

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 11890-11891). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

Sunday Within the Octave of the Ascension

Dominica Infra Octavam Ascenionis

Semi-duplex Semi Double

White Vestments

Lectio

1 Pet 4:7-11

Caríssimi: Estóte prudéntes et vigiláte in oratiónibus. Ante ómnia autem mútuam in vobismetípsis caritátem contínuam habéntes: quia cáritas óperit multitúdinem peccatórum. Hospitáles ínvicem sine murmuratióne: unusquísque, sicut accépit grátiam, in altérutrum illam administrántes, sicut boni dispensatóres multifórmis grátiæ Dei. Si quis lóquitur, quasi sermónes Dei: si quis minístrat, tamquam ex virtúte, quam adminístrat Deus: ut in ómnibus honorificétur Deus per Iesum Christum, Dóminum nostrum.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

1 Pet 4:7-11

Beloved: Be prudent and watchful in prayers. But above all things have a constant mutual charity among yourselves: for charity covers a multitude of sins. Be hospitable to one another without murmuring. According to the gift that each has received, minister it to one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. If anyone speaks, let it be as with words of God. If anyone ministers, let it be as from the strength that God furnishes; that in all things God may be honored through Jesus Christ our Lord.

R. Thanks be to God

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioannes 15:26-27; 16:1-4

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Cum vénerit Paráclitus, quem ego mittam vobis a Patre, Spíritum veritátis, qui a Patre procédit, ille testimónium perhibébit de me: et vos testimónium perhibébitis, quia ab inítio mecum estis. Hæc locútus sum vobis, ut non scandalizémini. Absque synagógis fácient vos: sed venit hora, ut omnis, qui intérficit vos, arbitrétur obséquium se præstáre Deo. Et hæc fácient vobis, quia non novérunt Patrem neque me. Sed hæc locútus sum vobis: ut, cum vénerit hora eórum, reminiscámini, quia ego dixi vobis.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Continuation ☩ of the Holy Gospel according to John

John 15:26-27; 16:1-4.

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: When the Advocate has come, Whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth Who proceeds from the Father, He will bear witness concerning Me. And you also will bear witness, because from the beginning you are with Me. These things I have spoken to you that you may not be scandalized. They will expel you from the synagogues. Yes, the hour is coming for everyone who kills you to think he is offering worship to God. And these things they will do because they have not known the Father nor Me. But these things I have spoken to you, that when the time for them has come you may remember that I told you.

R. Praise be to Thee, O Christ.

The Church wishes us to be united in charity and prayer during these days, as were the Apostles in the Cenacle awaiting the gift of the Paraclete. The Gospel of the Mass, makes clear how the Paraclete, the Spirit of Truth, is given in order that we in turn shall give testimony to the Truth, even at danger of our lives.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 615.

• Advertisement

MATTHEW 28:16-20
    16Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17And when they saw him they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age."

: https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/daily-readings

Commentary:
    28:20 I am with you always: Jesus' parting words further elucidate Isaiah's prophetic name for the Messiah, "Emmanuel . . . God with us" (1:23). The risen Christ's ongoing presence in the Church is both ecclesial (18:20) and eucharistic (26:26-28); he thus directs and empowers the world-wide mission of the Church throughout history

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 11890-11891). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

Pentecost

Station at St Peter's

Indulgence of 30 years and 30 quarantines
    Double of the First Class with privileged Octave

Red Vestments
    Lectio

Léctio Actuum Apostolórum.

Acts 2:1-11

Cum compleréntur dies Pentecóstes, erant omnes discípuli pariter in eódem loco: et factus est repéente de coelo sonus, tamquam adveniéntis spíritus veheméntis: et replévit totam domum, ubi erant sedentes. Et apparuérunt illis dispertítæ linguæ tamquam ignis, sedítque supra síngulos eórum: et repléti sunt omnes Spíritu Sancto, et coepérunt loqui váriis linguis, prout Spíritus Sanctus dabat éloqui illis. Erant autem in Ierúsalem habitántes Iudaei, viri religiósi ex omni natióne, quæ sub coelo est. Facta autem hac voce, convénit multitúdo, et mente confúsa est, quóniam audiébat unusquísque lingua sua illos loquéntes. Stupébant autem omnes et mirabántur, dicéntes: Nonne ecce omnes isti, qui loquúntur, Galilaei sunt? Et quómodo nos audívimus unusquísque linguam nostram, in qua nati sumus? Parthi et Medi et Ælamítæ et qui hábitant Mesopotámiam, Iudaeam et Cappadóciam, Pontum et Asiam, Phrýgiam et Pamphýliam, Ægýptum et partes Líbyæ, quæ est circa Cyrénen, et ádvenæ Románi, Iudaei quoque et Prosélyti, Cretes et Arabes: audívimus eos loquéntes nostris linguis magnália Dei.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the Acts of Apostles

Acts 2:1-11.

When the days of Pentecost were drawing to a close, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a violent wind blowing, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. And there appeared to them parted tongues as of fire, which settled upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy spirit and began to speak in foreign tongues, even as the Holy Spirit prompted them to speak. Now there were staying at Jerusalem, devout Jews, from every nation under heaven. And when this sound was heard, the multitude gathered and were bewildered in mind, because each heard them speaking in his own language. But they were all amazed and marvelled saying, Behold, are not all these that are speaking Galileans? And how have we heard each his own language in which he was born? Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and inhabitants of Mesopotamia, Judea, and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphilia, Egypt and the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, Jews also and proselytes, Cretens and Arabians, we have heard them speaking in our own languages of the wonderful works of God.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioannes 14:23-31

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Si quis díligit me, sermónem meum servábit, et Pater meus díliget eum, et ad eum veniémus et mansiónem apud eum faciémus: qui non díligit me, sermónes meos non servat. Et sermónem quem audístis, non est meus: sed eius, qui misit me, Patris. Hæc locútus sum vobis, apud vos manens. Paráclitus autem Spíritus Sanctus, quem mittet Pater in nómine meo, ille vos docébit ómnia et súggeret vobis ómnia, quæcúmque díxero vobis. Pacem relínquo vobis, pacem meam do vobis: non quómodo mundus dat, ego do vobis. Non turbátur cor vestrum neque formídet. Audístis, quia ego dixi vobis: Vado et vénio ad vos. Si diligere tis me, gaudere tis utique, quia vado ad Patrem: quia Pater maior me est. Et nunc dixi vobis, priúsquam fiat: ut, cum factum fúerit, credátis. Iam non multa loquar vobíscum. Venit enim princeps mundi huius, et in me non habet quidquam. Sed ut cognóscat mundus, quia díligo Patrem, et sicut mandátum dedit mihi Pater, sic fácio.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

John 14:23-31.

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: If anyone love Me, he will keep My word, and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. He who does not love Me, does not keep My words. And the word that you have heard is not Mine, but the Father’s Who sent Me. These things I have spoken to you while yet dwelling with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My Name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your mind whatever I have said to you. Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, or be afraid. You have heard Me say to you, ‘I go away and I am coming to you.’ If you loved Me, you would indeed rejoice that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you before it comes to pass, that when it has come to pass you may believe. I will no longer speak much with you, for the prince of the world is coming an in Me he has nothing. But he comes that the world may know that I love the Father, and that I do as the Father has commanded Me.

The gift of Wisdom is an illumination of the Holy Ghost, thanks to which our intellect is able to look at revealed truths in their more sublime light, to the great joy of our souls.
    St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sundays and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre O.S.B. of the Abbey of S. André, Bruges, Liturgical Apostolate, 1940, 1947, p. 703.

Mass during the Day
    Lectionary: 63

Mass during the Day
    Mass during the Day
    Mass during the Day
    Lectionary: 63 GospelJN 20:19-23
    On the evening of that first day of the week,
    when the doors were locked, where the disciples were,
    for fear of the Jews,
    Jesus came and stood in their midst
    and said to them, “Peace be with you.”
    When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side.
    The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
    Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you.
    As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”
    And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them,
    “Receive the Holy Spirit.
    Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them,
    and whose sins you retain are retained.”

Commentary:
    20:20 his hands and his side: The point is that Jesus is raised not simply with a body, but with the same body that was crucified and died only days earlier (20:25, 27). He carries these marks of his earthly sacrifice with him even when he ascends into heaven (Rev)

Trinity Sunday

Double of the First Class

White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Romános

Rom 11:33-36.

O altitúdo divitiárum sapiéntiae et sciéntiæ Dei: quam incomprehensibília sunt iudícia eius, et investigábiles viæ eius! Quis enim cognovit sensum Dómini? Aut quis consiliárius eius fuit? Aut quis prior dedit illi, et retribuétur ei? Quóniam ex ipso et per ipsum et in ipso sunt ómnia: ipsi glória in saecula. Amen.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Romans

Rom. Xi, 33-36

Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and of the knowledge of God! How incomprehensible and His judgments and how unsearchable His ways! For Who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been His counsellor? Or who has first given to Him, that recompense should be made him? For from Him and through Him and unto Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever, Amen.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt 28:18-20

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Data est mihi omnis potéstas in coelo et in terra. Eúntes ergo docéte omnes gentes, baptizántes eos in nómine Patris, et Fílii, et Spíritus Sancti: docéntes eos serváre ómnia, quæcúmque mandávi vobis. Et ecce, ego vobíscum sum ómnibus diébus usque ad consummatiónem saeculi.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew

Matt xxviii, 18-20

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: All power in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and behold, I am with you all days, even unto the consummation of the world.

During the 'Time of Pentecost' Mother Church urges her children to be more docile to the promptings of the Holy Spirit Who desires to live in us and animate us with divine love, so that we shall grow in virtue and become ever more like the Holy One of God, our Lord Jesus Christ.

St Joseph Daily Missal: The Official Prayers of the Catholic Church for the celebration of daily Mass. Rev. Hugo H. Hoever S.O.Cist., Ph.D., New ed., 1963, p. 451.

The doctrine of the one nature and three persons in God is not an abstract metaphysical tenet, but a fundamental doctrine of the Church, which is repeatedly taught throughout the liturgy. We adore God the Father, Creator of the World; God the Son, Saviour of mankind; God the Holy Ghost, Sanctifier of souls. We see in the Holy Trinity the mystery of eternal life of the Divine Being, Knowledge and Love. We should adore, bless and thank the Holy and Undivided Trinity, on which all depend, from which all truth, goodness and beauty proceed.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., 1938, p. 652.

The Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity
    Lectionary: 164

GospelJN 3:16-18
    God so loved the world that he gave his only Son,
    so that everyone who believes in him might not perish
    but might have eternal life.
    For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world,
    but that the world might be saved through him.
    Whoever believes in him will not be condemned,
    but whoever does not believe has already been condemned,
    because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

Commentary:
    3:16 gave his only-begotten Son: The earthly mission of Jesus is part of the heavenly plan of the Father, who displays the depth of his love through the sacrifice of his Son (Rom 5:8; 1 Jn 3:16; CCC 219). This verse marks a transition from the dialogue between Jesus and Nicodemus (3:1-15) to an extended monologue by either Jesus or the evangelist himself (3:16-21).

Second Sunday after Pentecost

Commemoration of St Basil Confessor and Doctor of the Church

Semi-Double

White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Ioánnis Apóstoli

1 John iii, 13-18

Caríssimi: Nolíte mirári, si odit vos mundus. Nos scimus, quóniam transláti sumus de morte ad vitam, quóniam dilígimus fratres. Qui non díligit, manet in morte: omnis, qui odit fratrem suum, homícida est. Et scitis, quóniam omnis homícida non habet vitam ætérnam in semetípso manéntem. In hoc cognóvimus caritátem Dei, quóniam ille ánimam suam pro nobis pósuit: et nos debémus pro frátribus ánimas pónere. Qui habúerit substántiam huius mundi, et víderit fratrem suum necessitátem habére, et cláuserit víscera sua ab eo: quómodo cáritas Dei manet in eo? Filíoli mei, non diligámus verbo neque lingua, sed ópere et veritáte.

R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the first letter of St John the Apostle

1 John iii, 13-18.

Beloved: Do not be surprised if the world hates you. We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love abides in death. Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer. And you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. In this we have come to know His love, that He laid down His life for us; and we likewise ought to lay down our life for the brethren. He who has the goods of this world and sees his brother in need and closes his heart to him, how does the love of God abide in him? My dear children, let us not love in word, neither with the tongue, but in deed and in truth.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Lucam.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc xiv, 16-24

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus pharisaeis parábolam hanc: Homo quidam fecit coenam magnam, et vocávit multos. Et misit servum suum hora coenæ dícere invitátis, ut venírent, quia iam paráta sunt ómnia. Et coepérunt simul omnes excusáre. Primus dixit ei: Villam emi, et necésse hábeo exíre et vidére illam: rogo te, habe me excusátum. Et alter dixit: Iuga boum emi quinque et eo probáre illa: rogo te, habe me excusátum. Et álius dixit: Uxórem duxi, et ídeo non possum veníre. Et revérsus servus nuntiávit hæc dómino suo. Tunc irátus paterfamílias, dixit servo suo: Exi cito in pláteas et vicos civitátis: et páuperes ac débiles et coecos et claudos íntroduc huc. Et ait servus: Dómine, factum est, ut imperásti, et adhuc locus est. Et ait dóminus servo: Exi in vias et sepes: et compélle intrare, ut impleátur domus mea. Dico autem vobis, quod nemo virórum illórum, qui vocáti sunt, gustábit coenam meam

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Luke

At that time, Jesus spoke to the Pharisees this parable: A certain man gave a great supper, and he invited many. And he sent his servant at supper time to tell those invited to come, for everything is now ready. And they all with one accord began to excuse themselves. The first said to him, ‘I have bought a farm, and I must go out and see it; I pray you hold me excused.’ And another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I am on my way to try them; I pray you hold me excused.’ And another said, ‘I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.’ And the servant returned, and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house was angry and said to his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in here the poor, and the crippled, and the blind, and the lame.’ And the servant said, ‘Sir, your order has been carried out, and still there is room.’ Then the master said to the servant, ‘Go out into the highways and hedges, and make them come in, so that my house may be filled. For I tell you that none of those who were invited shall taste of my supper.’

The Mass of this Sunday is most appropriate to the Octave, for the Epistle treats of the supreme law of Charity and the Gospel gives the remarkable parable of the banquet. That parable shows how men would seek excuses to decline God’s gifts as they were a nuisance. So, in fact, men find excuses to avoid Mass and Communion.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day of the year, conforming with the latest decrees of the Holy See, edited by an Irish bishop, with supplements for Ireland and other English speaking countries, Dublin, M.H. Gill and Son, Ltd., p. 665.

Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ
    Lectionary: 167

Gospel JN 6:51-58
    Jesus said to the Jewish crowds:
    "I am the living bread that came down from heaven;
    whoever eats this bread will live forever;
    and the bread that I will give
    is my flesh for the life of the world."

The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying,
    "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"
    Jesus said to them,
    "Amen, amen, I say to you,
    unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood,
    you do not have life within you.
    Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood
    has eternal life,
    and I will raise him on the last day.
    For my flesh is true food,
    and my blood is true drink.
    Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood
    remains in me and I in him.
    Just as the living Father sent me
    and I have life because of the Father,
    so also the one who feeds on me
    will have life because of me.
    This is the bread that came down from heaven.
    Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died,
    whoever eats this bread will live forever."

Commentary:
    6:51 I shall give: The future tense points both to the Cross, where Jesus surrenders his life for human sins, and to the eucharistic liturgy, where Jesus offers himself as living bread to a starving world.

Third Sunday after Pentecost

Double

Commemoration of St Aloysius Gonzaga, Confessor
    White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Petri Apóstoli

1 Pet V. 6-11

Caríssimi: Humiliámini sub poténti manu Dei, ut vos exáltet in témpore visitatiónis: omnem sollicitúdinem vestram proiiciéntes in eum, quóniam ipsi cura est de vobis. Sóbrii estote et vigiláte: quia adversárius vester diábolus tamquam leo rúgiens circuit, quærens, quem dévoret: cui resístite fortes in fide: sciéntes eándem passiónem ei, quæ in mundo est, vestræ fraternitáti fíeri. Deus autem omnis grátiæ, qui vocávit nos in ætérnam suam glóriam in Christo Iesu, módicum passos ipse perfíciet, confirmábit solidabítque. Ipsi glória et impérium in saecula sæculórum. Amen.
    R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the first letter of St Peter the Apostle

1 Pet V, 6-11

Beloved: Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in the time of visitation; cast all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you. Be sober, be watchful! For your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goes about seeking someone to devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same suffering befalls your brethren all over the world. But the God of all grace, Who has called us unto His eternal glory in Christ Jesus, will Himself, after we have suffered a little while, perfect, strengthen and establish us. To Him is the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc XV, 1-10

In illo témpore: Erant appropinquántes ad Iesum publicáni et peccatóres, ut audírent illum. Et murmurábant pharisaei et scribæ, dicéntes: Quia hic peccatóres recipit et mandúcat cum illis. Et ait ad illos parábolam istam, dicens: Quis ex vobis homo, qui habet centum oves: et si perdíderit unam ex illis, nonne dimíttit nonagínta novem in desérto, et vadit ad illam, quæ períerat, donec invéniat eam? Et cum invénerit eam, impónit in húmeros suos gaudens: et véniens domum, cónvocat amícos et vicínos, dicens illis: Congratulámini mihi, quia invéni ovem meam, quæ períerat? Dico vobis, quod ita gáudium erit in coelo super uno peccatóre poeniténtiam agénte, quam super nonagínta novem iustis, qui non índigent poeniténtia. Aut quæ múlier habens drachmas decem, si perdíderit drachmam unam, nonne accéndit lucérnam, et evérrit domum, et quærit diligénter, donec invéniat? Et cum invénerit, cónvocat amícas et vicínas, dicens: Congratulámini mihi, quia invéni drachmam, quam perdíderam? Ita dico vobis: gáudium erit coram Angelis Dei super uno peccatóre poeniténtiam agénte.

R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

A t that time, the publicans and sinners were drawing near to Him to listen to Him. And the Pharisees and the Scribes murmured, saying, This man welcomes sinners and eats with them. But He spoke to them this parable, saying, What man of you having a hundred sheep, and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the desert, and go after that which is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it upon his shoulders rejoicing. And on coming home he calls together his friends and neighbours, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, because I have found my sheep that was lost.’ I say to you that, even so, there will be joy in heaven over one sinner who repents, more then over ninety-nine just who have no need of repentance. Or what woman, having ten drachmas, if she loses one drachma, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbours, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the drachma that I had lost.’ Even so, I say to you, there will be joy among the angels of God over one sinner who repents.

Two parables in today’s Gospel speak of the joy of regaining what had been lost, as a symbol of the joy in heaven at the conversion of one sinner. Christ came to regain souls that had wandered away. He lived, taught, suffered, and died to regain what was lost.

St Joseph Daily Missal: The Official Prayers of the Catholic Church for the celebration of daily Mass. Rev. Hugo H. Hoever S.O.Cist., Ph.D., p. 467.

Let us admire the work of the Holy Ghost in the soul of the holy queen whom He chose for the furtherance of Christ’s Kingdom in Scotland and let us invoke her for the return of Scotland to Roman Unity.

St Andrew Daily Missal: with Vespers for Sundays and feasts, Liturgical Apostolate, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, 1940/1947, p. 1234.

Let us pray that this will be the last Mass, or last but one, which can only be read through or watched online.

Twelfth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 94

GospelMT 10:26-33
    Jesus said to the Twelve:
    “Fear no one.
    Nothing is concealed that will not be revealed,
    nor secret that will not be known.
    What I say to you in the darkness, speak in the light;
    what you hear whispered, proclaim on the housetops.
    And do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul;
    rather, be afraid of the one who can destroy
    both soul and body in Gehenna.
    Are not two sparrows sold for a small coin?
    Yet not one of them falls to the ground without your Father’s knowledge.
    Even all the hairs of your head are counted.
    So do not be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
    Everyone who acknowledges me before others
    I will acknowledge before my heavenly Father.
    But whoever denies me before others,
    I will deny before my heavenly Father.”

Commentary:
    10:28 do not fear: Human agents of persecution are not to be feared. Men can impose suffering and death on the body but cannot force spiritual death on the soul. Jesus uses this distinction between body and soul to contrast the relative value of earthly life with the absolute good of eternal life in heaven

Fourth Sunday after Pentecost

Commemoration of St Irenaeus, bishop and martyr

Semi-Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Romános

Rom 8:18-23.

Fratres: Exístimo, quod non sunt condígnæ passiónes huius témporis ad futúram glóriam, quæ revelábitur in nobis. Nam exspectátio creatúræ revelatiónem filiórum Dei exspéctat. Vanitáti enim creatúra subiécta est, non volens, sed propter eum, qui subiécit eam in spe: quia et ipsa creatúra liberábitur a servitúte corruptiónis, in libertátem glóriæ filiórum Dei. Scimus enim, quod omnis creatúra ingemíscit et párturit usque adhuc. Non solum autem illa, sed et nos ipsi primítias spíritus habéntes: et ipsi intra nos gémimus, adoptiónem filiórum Dei exspectántes, redemptiónem córporis nostri: in Christo Iesu, Dómino nostro. Amen.
    R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

1 Pet 5:6-11

Brethren: I reckon that the sufferings of the present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory to come that will be revealed in us. For the eager longing of creation awaits the revelation of the sons of God. For creation was made subject to vanity - not by its own will but by reason of Him Who made it subject - in hope, because creation itself also will be delivered from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the sons of God. For we know that all creation groans and travails in pain until now. And not only it, but we ourselves also who have the first-fruits of the Spirit - we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption as sons of God, the redemption of our body, in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc 5:1-11

In illo témpore: Cum turbæ irrúerent in Iesum, ut audírent verbum Dei, et ipse stabat secus stagnum Genésareth. Et vidit duas naves stantes secus stagnum: piscatóres autem descénderant et lavábant rétia. Ascéndens autem in unam navim, quæ erat Simónis, rogávit eum a terra redúcere pusíllum. Et sedens docébat de navícula turbas. Ut cessávit autem loqui, dixit ad Simónem: Duc in altum, et laxáte rétia vestra in captúram. Et respóndens Simon, dixit illi: Præcéptor, per totam noctem laborántes, nihil cépimus: in verbo autem tuo laxábo rete. Et cum hoc fecíssent, conclusérunt píscium multitúdinem copiósam: rumpebátur autem rete eórum. Et annuérunt sóciis, qui erant in ália navi, ut venírent et adiuvárent eos. Et venérunt, et implevérunt ambas navículas, ita ut pæne mergeréntur. Quod cum vidéret Simon Petrus, prócidit ad génua Iesu, dicens: Exi a me, quia homo peccátor sum, Dómine. Stupor enim circumdéderat eum et omnes, qui cum illo erant, in captúra píscium, quam céperant: simíliter autem Iacóbum et Ioánnem, fílios Zebedaei, qui erant sócii Simónis. Et ait ad Simónem Iesus: Noli timére: ex hoc iam hómines eris cápiens. Et subdúctis ad terram návibus, relictis ómnibus, secuti sunt eum.
    R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Luke 5:1-11.

At that time, while the crowds were pressing upon Jesus to hear the word of God, He was standing by Lake Genesareth. And He saw two boats moored by the lake, but the fishermen had left them and were washing their nets. And getting into one of the boats, the one that was Simon’s. He asked him to put out a little from the land. And sitting down, He began to teach the crowds from the boat. But when He had ceased speaking, He said to Simon, Put out into the deep, and lower your nets for a catch. And Simon answered and said to Him, Master, the whole night through we have toiled and have taken nothing; but at Thy word I will lower the net. And when they had done so, they enclosed a great number of fishes, but their net was breaking. And they beckoned to their comrades in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink. But when Simon Peter saw this, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord. For he and all who were with him were amazed at the catch of fish they had made; and so were also James and John, the sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, Do not be afraid; henceforth you shall catch men. And when they had brought their boats to land, they left all and followed Him.

It was from Peter’s boat that Our Lord chose to preach; it was Simon Peter that He told to launch out into the deep, and it was he who, at the Master’s word of command, laid down the nets which became so full that they broke. Finally, it was Peter who overcome with astonishment and fear, adored His Master and was chosen by Him as a fisher of men.
    St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feast, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1947, p. 799.

• Advertisement

Thirteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 97

GospelMT 10:37-42
    Jesus said to his apostles:
    “Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me,
    and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me;
    and whoever does not take up his cross
    and follow after me is not worthy of me.
    Whoever finds his life will lose it,
    and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

"Whoever receives you receives me,
    and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.
    Whoever receives a prophet because he is a prophet
    will receive a prophet’s reward,
    and whoever receives a righteous man
    because he is a righteous man
    will receive a righteous man’s reward.
    And whoever gives only a cup of cold water
    to one of these little ones to drink
    because the little one is a disciple—
    amen, I say to you, he will surely not lose his reward.”

Commentary:
    10:38 take his cross: A striking image of the demands and consequences of discipleship. Jews needed no explanation of it, since the Romans utilized crucifixion as a torturous means of execution for many criminals during NT times. Jesus here assures us that faithfulness will entail self-denial, suffering, and possibly death.

Fifth Sunday after Pentecost
    Commemoration of St Anthony Mary Zaccaria
    Semi-Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

1 Pet 3:8-15

Caríssimi: Omnes unánimes in oratióne estóte, compatiéntes, fraternitátis amatóres, misericórdes, modésti, húmiles: non reddéntes malum pro malo, nec maledíctum pro maledícto, sed e contrário benedicéntes: quia in hoc vocáti estis, ut benedictiónem hereditáte possideátis. Qui enim vult vitam dilígere et dies vidére bonos, coérceat linguam suam a malo, et lábia eius ne loquántur dolum. Declínet a malo, et fáciat bonum: inquírat pacem, et sequátur eam. Quia óculi Dómini super iustos, et aures eius in preces eórum: vultus autem Dómini super faciéntes mala. Et quis est, qui vobis nóceat, si boni æmulatóres fuéritis? Sed et si quid patímini propter iustítiam, beáti. Timórem autem eórum ne timuéritis: et non conturbémini. Dóminum autem Christum sanctificáte in córdibus vestris. R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Beloved: Be all like-minded in prayer, compassionate, lovers of the brethren, merciful, reserved, humble; not rendering evil for evil, or abuse for abuse, but contrariwise, blessing; for unto this were you called that you might inherit a blessing. For, He who would love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no deceit. Let him turn away from evil and do good, let him seek after peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are upon the just, and His ears unto their prayers; but the face of the lord is against those who do evil. And who is there to harm you, if you are zealous for what is good? But even if you suffer anything for justice’ sake, blessed are you. So have no fear of their fear and do not be troubled. But hallow the Lord Christ in your hearts. R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum..

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt 5:20-24

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Nisi abundáverit iustítia vestra plus quam scribárum et pharisæórum, non intrábitis in regnum coelórum. Audístis, quia dic tum est antíquis: Non occídes: qui autem occídent, re us erit iudício. Ego autem dico vobis: quia omnis, qu iráscitur fratri suo, reus erit iudício. Qui autem díxerit fratri suo, raca: reus erit concílio. Qui autem díxerit, fatue: reus erit gehénnæ ignis Si ergo offers munus tuum ad altáre, et ibi recordátus fúeris, quia frater tuus habet áliquid advérsum te: relínque ibi munus tuum ante altáre et vade prius reconciliári fratri tuo: et tunc véniens ófferes munus tuum.
    R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew

Matt. 5:20-24.

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: Unless your justice exceeds that of the Scribes and Pharisees, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven. You have heard that it was said to the ancients, ‘You shall not kill’; and that whoever shall kill shall be liable to judgment. But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; and whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ shall be liable to the Sanhedrin; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’, shall be liable to the fire of Gehenna. Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar, and there remember that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift before the altar and go first to be reconciled to your brother; and then come and offer your gift.

‘The true sacrifice is reconciliation with our brother’ says St John Chrysostom ‘The first sacrifice is necessary to offer to God’ adds Bossuet ‘is a heart set free from coldness and unfriendliness towards one’s brother.’ (Meditations, 14th day).

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sundays and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre O.S.B. of the Abbey of S. André, Bruges, 1940-1947, p. 807.

Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 100

GospelMT 11:25-30
    At that time Jesus exclaimed:
    “I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth,
    for although you have hidden these things
    from the wise and the learned
    you have revealed them to little ones.
    Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will.
    All things have been handed over to me by my Father.
    No one knows the Son except the Father,
    and no one knows the Father except the Son
    and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him.”

“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
    and I will give you rest.
    Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
    for I am meek and humble of heart;
    and you will find rest for yourselves.
    For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

Commentary:
    11:28-30 Jesus invites disciples to follow and learn from him as the model of perfect obedience to the Father (11:27; CCC 520). • Jesus evokes "wisdom's" invitation to the humble in the OT.

Sixth Sunday after Pentecost
    Commemoration of St Pius I, Pope and Martyr
    Semi-Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Romános.

Rom 6:3-11

Fratres: Quicúmque baptizáti sumus in Christo Iesu, in morte ipsíus baptizáti sumus. Consepúlti enim sumus cum illo per baptísmum in mortem: ut, quómodo Christus surréxit a mórtuis per glóriam Patris, ita et nos in novitáte vitæ ambulémus. Si enim complantáti facti sumus similitúdini mortis eius: simul et resurrectiónis érimus. Hoc sciéntes, quia vetus homo noster simul crucifíxus est: ut destruátur corpus peccáti, et ultra non serviámus peccáto. Qui enim mórtuus est, iustificátus est a peccáto. Si autem mórtui sumus cum Christo: crédimus, quia simul étiam vivémus cum Christo: sciéntes, quod Christus resurgens ex mórtuis, iam non móritur, mors illi ultra non dominábitur. Quod enim mórtuus est peccáto, mórtuus est semel: quod autem vivit, vivit Deo. Ita et vos existimáte, vos mórtuos quidem esse peccáto, vivéntes autem Deo, in Christo Iesu, Dómino nostro. R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Brethren: All we who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death. For we were buried with Him by means of Baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ has arisen from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we also may walk in newness of life. For if we have been united with Him in the likeness of His death, we shall be so in the likeness of His resurrection also. For we know that our old self has been crucified with Him, in order that the body of sin may be destroyed, that we may no longer be slaves to sin; for he who is dead is acquitted of sin. But if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live together with Christ; for we know that Christ, having risen from the dead, dies now no more, death shall no longer have dominion over Him. For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all, but the life that He lives, He lives unto God. Thus do you consider yourselves also as dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord. R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Marcum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Marc 8:1-9

I n illo témpore: Cum turba multa esset cum Iesu, nec haberent, quod manducárent, convocatis discípulis, ait illis: Miséreor super turbam: quia ecce iam tríduo sústinent me, nec habent quod mandúcent: et si dimísero eos ieiúnos in domum suam, defícient in via: quidam enim ex eis de longe venérunt. Et respondérunt ei discípuli sui: Unde illos quis póterit hic saturáre pánibus in solitúdine? Et interrogávit eos: Quot panes habétis? Qui dixérunt: Septem. Et præcépit turbæ discúmbere super terram. Et accípiens septem panes, grátias agens fregit, et dabat discípulis suis, ut appónerent, et apposuérunt turbæ. Et habébant piscículos paucos: et ipsos benedíxit, et iussit appóni. Et manducavérunt, et saturáti sunt, et sustulérunt quod superáverat de fragméntis, septem sportas. Erant autem qui manducáverant, quasi quatuor mília: et dimísit eos.
    R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Mark.

Matt. 5:20-24.

A At that time, when there was a great crowd with Jesus, and they had nothing to eat, He called His disciples together and said to them, I have compassion on the crowd, for behold, they have now been with Me three days, and have nothing to eat; and if I send them away to their homes fasting, they will faint on the way, for some of them have come from a distance. And His disciples answered Him, How will anyone be able to satisfy these with bread, here in a desert? And He asked them, How many loaves have you? And they said, Seven. And He bade the crowd recline on the ground. Then taking the seven loaves, He gave thanks, broke them and gave them to His disciples to distribute; and they set them before the crowd. And they had a few little fishes; and He blessed them, and ordered them to be distributed. And they ate and were satisfied; and they took up what was left of the fragments, seven baskets. Now those who had eaten were about four thousand. And He dismissed them.

Easter time has passed, but its spirit should never pass. Christ died once and now lives His glorious unending life. We also should remain dead to sin and continue to live together with Christ, the new life of holiness, nourished by the Holy Eucharist which is typified by the miraculous multiplication of loaves.
    This divine bread is viaticum or food for the way, both for our journey through this life and for that of the souls into eternity. Hence the name viaticum given to the Eucharist when received in danger of death.

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1940/47[/i], 813.

Fifteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 103

Gospel MT 13:1-23
    On that day, Jesus went out of the house and sat down by the sea.
    Such large crowds gathered around him
    that he got into a boat and sat down,
    and the whole crowd stood along the shore.
    And he spoke to them at length in parables, saying:
    “A sower went out to sow.
    And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path,
    and birds came and ate it up.
    Some fell on rocky ground, where it had little soil.
    It sprang up at once because the soil was not deep,
    and when the sun rose it was scorched,
    and it withered for lack of roots.
    Some seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it.
    But some seed fell on rich soil, and produced fruit,
    a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold.
    Whoever has ears ought to hear.”

The disciples approached him and said,
    “Why do you speak to them in parables?”
    He said to them in reply,
    “Because knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven
    has been granted to you, but to them it has not been granted.
    To anyone who has, more will be given and he will grow rich;
    from anyone who has not, even what he has will be taken away.
    This is why I speak to them in parables, because
    they look but do not see and hear but do not listen or understand.
    Isaiah’s prophecy is fulfilled in them, which says:
    You shall indeed hear but not understand,
    you shall indeed look but never see.
    Gross is the heart of this people,
    they will hardly hear with their ears,
    they have closed their eyes,
    lest they see with their eyes
    and hear with their ears
    and understand with their hearts and be converted,
    and I heal them.

“But blessed are your eyes, because they see,
    and your ears, because they hear.
    Amen, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people
    longed to see what you see but did not see it,
    and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

“Hear then the parable of the sower.
    The seed sown on the path is the one
    who hears the word of the kingdom without understanding it,
    and the evil one comes and steals away
    what was sown in his heart.
    The seed sown on rocky ground
    is the one who hears the word and receives it at once with joy.
    But he has no root and lasts only for a time.
    When some tribulation or persecution comes because of the word,
    he immediately falls away.
    The seed sown among thorns is the one who hears the word,
    but then worldly anxiety and the lure of riches choke the word
    and it bears no fruit.
    But the seed sown on rich soil
    is the one who hears the word and understands it,
    who indeed bears fruit and yields a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold.”

Commentary:
    13:11 to you: Jesus speaks parables to the "great crowds" (13:2) but explains them only to his disciples. While the illustrations are clear enough—drawn from everyday life—the underlying truths remain obscure to the faithless

Seventh Sunday after Pentecost

Commemoration of St Vincent de Paul, Confessor

Semi-Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Rom vi.19-23

Fratres: Humánum dico, propter infirmitátem carnis vestræ: sicut enim exhibuístis membra vestra servíre immundítiæ et iniquitáti ad iniquitátem, ita nunc exhibéte membra vestra servíre iustítiæ in sanctificatiónem. Cum enim servi essétis peccáti, líberi fuístis iustítiæ. Quem ergo fructum habuístis tunc in illis, in quibus nunc erubéscitis? Nam finis illórum mors est. Nunc vero liberáti a peccáto, servi autem facti Deo, habétis fructum vestrum in sanctificatiónem, finem vero vitam ætérnam. Stipéndia enim peccáti mors. Grátia autem Dei vita ætérna, in Christo Iesu, Dómino nostro.

Lesson

Rom vi. 19-23

1 Pet v, 6-11

Brethren: I speak in a human way because of the weakness of your flesh; for as you yielded your members as slaves of uncleanness and iniquity unto iniquity, so now yield your members as slaves of justice unto sanctification. For when you were slaves of sin, you were free as regards justice. But what fruit had you then from those things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of these things is death. But now set free from sin and become slaves to God, you have your fruit unto sanctification, and as your end, life everlasting. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is life everlasting in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt vii, 15-21

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Atténdite a falsis prophétis, qui véniunt ad vos in vestiméntis óvium, intrínsecus autem sunt lupi rapáces: a frúctibus eórum cognoscétis eos. Numquid cólligunt de spinis uvas, aut de tríbulis ficus ? Sic omnis arbor bona fructus bonos facit: mala autem arbor malos fructus facit. Non potest arbor bona malos fructus fácere: neque arbor mala bonos fructus fácere. Omnis arbor, quæ non facit fructum bonum, excidétur et in ignem mittétur. Igitur ex frúctibus eórum cognoscétis eos. Non omnis, qui dicit mihi, Dómine, Dómine, intrábit in regnum coelórum: sed qui facit voluntátem Patris mei, qui in coelis est, ipse intrábit in regnum coelórum. R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Mark.

Matt. vii, 15-21

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. By their fruits you will know them. Do men gather grapes from thorns, or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore, by their fruits you will know them. Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the will of My Father in heaven shall enter the kingdom of heaven.

In words addressed to the Holy Ghost, ‘sevenfold’ in grace, the Church prays in the sequence for Pentecost:
    ‘Grant to thy faithful, dearest Lord,
    Whose only hope is Thy Word,
    Thy sevenfold gift of grace.’
    The first of these gifts is fear of God which is the found of all the others (Gradual); the seventh is the gift of wisdom, an enlightening from the Holy Ghost, thanks to which our intelligence is able to contemplate the truth of faith, set in a glorious light and in doing so may find great joy.
    The sacred number seven which is borne by this Sunday (the seventh after Pentecost), suggests that it is this gift of wisdom that is the object of today’s liturgy, and that with the Church itself, we ought to ask for it from the Holy Ghost. St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1947, p. 815.

Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 106

GospelMT 13:24-43 OR 13:24-30
    Jesus proposed another parable to the crowds, saying:
    “The kingdom of heaven may be likened
    to a man who sowed good seed in his field.
    While everyone was asleep his enemy came
    and sowed weeds all through the wheat, and then went off.
    When the crop grew and bore fruit, the weeds appeared as well.
    The slaves of the householder came to him and said,
    ‘Master, did you not sow good seed in your field?
    Where have the weeds come from?’
    He answered, ‘An enemy has done this.’
    His slaves said to him,
    ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’
    He replied, ‘No, if you pull up the weeds
    you might uproot the wheat along with them.
    Let them grow together until harvest;
    then at harvest time I will say to the harvesters,
    “First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles for burning;
    but gather the wheat into my barn.”’”

He proposed another parable to them.
    “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed
    that a person took and sowed in a field.
    It is the smallest of all the seeds,
    yet when full-grown it is the largest of plants.
    It becomes a large bush,
    and the ‘birds of the sky come and dwell in its branches.’”

He spoke to them another parable.
    “The kingdom of heaven is like yeast
    that a woman took and mixed with three measures of wheat flour
    until the whole batch was leavened.”

All these things Jesus spoke to the crowds in parables.
    He spoke to them only in parables,
    to fulfill what had been said through the prophet:
    I will open my mouth in parables,
    I will announce what has lain hidden from the foundation
    of the world.

Then, dismissing the crowds, he went into the house.
    His disciples approached him and said,
    “Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field.”
    He said in reply, “He who sows good seed is the Son of Man,
    the field is the world, the good seed the children of the kingdom.
    The weeds are the children of the evil one,
    and the enemy who sows them is the devil.
    The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.
    Just as weeds are collected and burned up with fire,
    so will it be at the end of the age.
    The Son of Man will send his angels,
    and they will collect out of his kingdom
    all who cause others to sin and all evildoers.
    They will throw them into the fiery furnace,
    where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.
    Then the righteous will shine like the sun
    in the kingdom of their Father.
    Whoever has ears ought to hear.”

Commentary:
    13:32 becomes a tree: The parable of the Mustard Seed illustrates the contrast in size between the seed and the mature shrub, reaching nearly ten feet in height. Jesus likewise sows the kingdom in a small band of disciples, expecting it to grow into a worldwide Church.

Eighth Sunday after Pentecost

Commemoration of St Anne, mother of Our Lady
    Semi-Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Rom viii, 12-17

Fratres: Debitóres sumus non carni, ut secúndum carnem vivámus. Si enim secúndum carnem vixéritis, moriémini: si autem spíritu facta carnis mortificavéritis, vivétis. Quicúmque enim spíritu Dei aguntur, ii sunt fílii Dei. Non enim accepístis spíritum servitútis íterum in timóre, sed accepístis spíritum adoptiónis filiórum, in quo clamámus: Abba - Pater. - Ipse enim Spíritus testimónium reddit spirítui nostro, quod sumus fílii Dei. Si autem fílii, et herédes: herédes quidem Dei, coherédes autem Christi.
    R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Rom 8:12-17

Rom viii, 12-17

Brethren: We are debtors, not to the flesh, that we should live according to the flesh, for if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the spirit you put to death the deeds of the flesh, you will live. For whoever are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. Now you have not received a spirit of bondage so as to be again in fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons, by virtue of which we cry, Abba! Father! The Spirit Himself gives testimony to our spirit that we are sons of God. But if we are sons, we are heirs also: heirs indeed of God and joint heirs with Christ.

R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc xvi, 1-9

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis parábolam hanc: Homo quidam erat dives, qui habébat víllicum: et hic diffamátus est apud illum, quasi dissipásset bona ipsíus. Et vocávit illum et ait illi: Quid hoc audio de te? redde ratiónem villicatiónis tuæ: iam enim non póteris villicáre. Ait autem víllicus intra se: Quid fáciam, quia dóminus meus aufert a me villicatiónem? fódere non váleo, mendicáre erubésco. Scio, quid fáciam, ut, cum amótus fúero a villicatióne, recípiant me in domos suas. Convocátis itaque síngulis debitóribus dómini sui, dicébat primo: Quantum debes dómino meo? At ille dixit: Centum cados ólei. Dixítque illi: Accipe cautiónem tuam: et sede cito, scribe quinquagínta. Deínde álii dixit: Tu vero quantum debes? Qui ait: Centum coros trítici. Ait illi: Accipe lítteras tuas, et scribe octogínta. Et laudávit dóminus víllicum iniquitátis, quia prudénter fecísset: quia fílii huius saeculi prudentióres fíliis lucis in generatióne sua sunt. Et ego vobis dico: fácite vobis amicos de mammóna iniquitátis: ut, cum defecéritis, recípiant vos in ætérna tabernácula.

R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Luke xvi, 1-9

At that time, Jesus spoke to His disciples this parable: There was a certain rich man who had a steward, who was reported to him as squandering his possessions. And he called him and said to him, ‘What is this that I hear of you? Make an accounting of your stewardship, for you can be steward no longer.’ And the steward said within himself, ‘What shall I do, seeing that my master is taking away the stewardship from me? To dig I am not able; to beg I am ashamed. I know what I shall do, that when I am removed from my stewardship they may receive me into their houses.’ And he summoned each of his master’s debtors and said to the first, ‘How much do you owe my master?’ And he said, ‘A hundred jars of oil.’ He said to him, ‘Take your bond and sit down at once and write fifty.’ Then he said to another, ‘How much do you owe?’ He said, ‘A hundred kors of wheat.’ He said to him, ‘Take your bond and write eighty.’ And the master commended the unjust steward, in that he had acted prudently; for the children of this world, in relation to their own generation, are more prudent than the children of the light. And I say to you, make friends for yourselves with the mammon of wickedness, so that when you fail they may receive you into the everlasting dwellings.
    At Pentecost the Church received the outpouring of the Holy Ghost and to-day’s liturgy shows us its happy results. This blessed Spirit makes us children of God since we are led by Him to say in simple truth: Our Father. Therefore we are assured of our heavenly inheritance (Epistle). But to obtain this assurance we must live for God, in living by Him (Collect) letting ourselves be led in by all things by the Spirit of God (Epistle) so shall we be one day welcomed by God into everlasting dwellings (Gospel).

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1947, p. 815.

Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
    Lectionary: 109

GospelMT 13:44-52 OR 13:44-46
    “The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure buried in a field,
    which a person finds and hides again,
    and out of joy goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
    Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant
    searching for fine pearls.
    When he finds a pearl of great price,
    he goes and sells all that he has and buys it.
    Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net thrown into the sea,
    which collects fish of every kind.
    When it is full they haul it ashore
    and sit down to put what is good into buckets.
    What is bad they throw away.
    Thus it will be at the end of the age.
    The angels will go out and separate the wicked from the righteous
    and throw them into the fiery furnace,
    where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.

“Do you understand all these things?”
    They answered, “Yes.”
    And he replied,
    “Then every scribe who has been instructed in the kingdom of heaven
    is like the head of a household
    who brings from his storeroom both the new and the old.”

Commentary:
    13:44-46 Two parables, the Hidden Treasure (13:44) and the Pearl of Great Value (13:45-46), that underscore the same point. Both stress that the kingdom's value is inestimable, and surrendering earthly attachments is required to obtain it (19:21, 29; Phil 3:8). This may entail literal poverty (religious) or spiritual poverty

• Advertisement

Ninth Sunday after Pentecost

Commemoration of St Alphonsus Marie de Liguori

Semi Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Corinthios

1 Cor x. 6-13

Fratres: Non simus concupiscéntes malórum, sicut et illi concupiérunt. Neque idolólatræ efficiámini, sicut quidam ex ipsis: quemádmodum scriptum est: Sedit pópulus manducáre et bíbere, et surrexérunt lúdere. Neque fornicémur, sicut quidam ex ipsis fornicáti sunt, et cecidérunt una die vigínti tria mília. Neque tentémus Christum, sicut quidam eórum tentavérunt, et a serpéntibus periérunt. Neque murmuravéritis, sicut quidam eórum murmuravérunt, et periérunt ab exterminatóre. Hæc autem ómnia in figúra contingébant illis: scripta sunt autem ad correptiónem nostram, in quos fines sæculórum devenérunt. Itaque qui se exístimat stare, vídeat ne cadat. Tentátio vos non apprehéndat, nisi humána: fidélis autem Deus est, qui non patiétur vos tentári supra id, quod potéstis, sed fáciet étiam cum tentatióne provéntum, ut póssitis sustinére.asi lucérnæ lucénti in caliginóso loco, donec dies elucescat et lucifer oriátur in córdibus vestris.
    R. Deo gratias.

Lesson
    Lesson from the first letter of St Paul to the Corinthians

1 Cor x. 6-13

2 Pet. 1:16-19

Brethren: We should not lust after evil things even as they lusted. And do not become idolaters, even as some of them were, as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play. Neither let us commit fornication, even as some of them committed fornication, and there fell in one day twenty-three thousand. Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them tempted, and perished by the serpents. Neither murmur, as some of them murmured, and perished at the hands of the destroyer. Now all these things happened to them as a type, and they were written for our correction, upon whom the final age of the world has come. Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. May no temptation take hold of you but such as man is equal to. God is faithful and will not permit you to be tempted beyond your strength, but with the temptation will also give you a way out that you may be able to bear it.

R.
    Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc xix, 41-47

I n illo témpore: Cum appropinquáret Jesus Jerúsalem, videns civitátem, flevit super illam, dicens: Quia si cognovísses et tu, et quidem in hac die tua, quæ ad pacem tibi, nunc autem abscóndita sunt ab óculis tuis. Quia vénient dies in te: et circúmdabunt te inimíci tui vallo, et circúmdabunt te: et coangustábunt te úndique: et ad terram prostérnent te, et fílios tuos, qui in te sunt, et non relínquent in te lápidem super lápidem: eo quod non cognóveris tempus visitatiónis tuæ. Et ingréssus in templum, coepit ejícere vendéntes in illo et eméntes, dicens illis: Scriptum est: Quia domus mea domus oratiónis est. Vos autem fecístis illam speluncam latrónum. Et erat docens cotídie in templo.

R.
    Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Luc xix, 41-47

A t that time, when Jesus drew near to Jerusalem and saw the city, He wept over it, saying, If you had known, in this your day, even you, the things that are for your peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes. For days will come upon you when your enemies will throw up a rampart about you, and surround you and shut you in on every side, and will dash you to the ground and your children within you, and will not leave in you one stone upon another, because you have not known the time of your visitation. And He entered the temple, and began to cast out those who were selling and buying in it, saying to them, It is written, ‘My house is a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a den of thieves. And He was teaching daily in the temple.

Today’s liturgy lays stress on the terrible punishments which will one day be inflicted on those who denied Christ. They will all perish and not one of them will enter the kingdom of heaven. Those who will have been faithful to Him through all the adversities of this life, will one also one day, be saved from the hands of their enemies and will follow him into heaven, whither he went at His Ascension, whose feast the Church celebrates at Paschaltide. These thoughts about God’s justice are suggested on this ninth Sunday after Pentecost by the story of the Prophet Elias which the Church reads in the Breviary at this time.
    St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1947, p. 826.

Advertisement