Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Gonzo wrote: »
    I reckon this is close to the mildest winter in most of our lifetimes. It's the first winter myself, my friends and family haven't seen a single snow flake all winter. I think i've only seen frost 2 times during daylight hours since November. Even the mild winters of the early to mid 2000's don't hold a candle to this winter in terms of relentless mild and lack of freezing conditions.

Yes its been very mild.
    I have a few indoor plants that I left out last summer.
    I never took them in this year at all, i just moved them closer to the house in the October cold snap but its been mild since and they seem to be doing well now!

I even saw a few potatoes growing in my compost heap there a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The number of air frosts up to February 19th for 2018-19 have been below average for Dunsany, Co. Meath but not exceptionally so (very similar to 2011-12). 2013-14 holds the record for lowest amount at only 6 air frosts whilst 2009-10 had as much as 54 air frosts.

Some Winters have minimum temperature data unavailable for so I did not include them. This data does not include Autumn or Spring frosts in their totals of the respective seasons, only December to February.

Crz1p3l.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Our Daffodils are in full bloom, have been for past few weeks, we normally don't see them till March. Grass is also growing quickly again, normally we don't see much grass growth till April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭pauldry

Had grass growth in December here. Had a week of coldish weather at back end of January the other 70 odd days have all been mild this Winter

Currently 14.3c and fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Feels milder out today to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

so gone is the talk of the unseasonable warmth and record breaking possibilties,saturday could have been class.

12 -14 degrees,alot of cloud,damp misty mank around this weekend.

windy too along the coasts,

at least ill know what to wear. A house.

vile.

ukprec.pngukmaxtemp.png

gas.

6hrprecip.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Today turned nice in Dublin

Tomorrow should be too

And lots of Friday and a good start on Saturday

Good spell of weather for east when all said and done

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

most of Saturday daylight should stay dry in Dublin, with rain in the evening. Once that rain clears, it looks very dry after that. The high temperature extremes are now off the table, not only here but in the UK as well, looks like 16 or 17C will be the max in Ireland/UK over the weekend with most places hitting 14 or 15C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy drizzle again in cork city. Another miserable day it seems

What a weather combo: Fierce jet stream, dartboard low and potentially record breaking warmth.

netweather.tv

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/9417-what-a-weather-combo-fierce-jet-stream-dartboard-low-and-potentially-record-breaking-warmth

its incredible to think now relative to an irish person,summer is begining in southern spain,mid to high teens,unbroken sunshine,dry,calm and low humidity and will continue to the end of october more or less.

25 degrees in Seville on sunday,hard to imagine.
    and there we were getting excited by the possibility of reaching 18 degrees for a day.

what a climate.
    what a lifestyle.

its incredible to think now relative to an irish person,summer is begining in southern spain,mid to high teens,unbroken sunshine,dry,calm and low humidity and will continue to the end of october more or less.

and there we were getting excited by the possibility of reaching 18 degrees for a day.

what a climate.
    what a lifestyle.

I love the southern Spanish climate too but every day you have to prepare and protect yourself from the burning sun or the possibility of someone on your holidays with getting sunstroke. The endless days of blue skies and sunshine is great, but loading on the sun protection several times a day everyday just to go walking or shopping, can be a similar struggle to the Irish climate of always having the correct clothes/rain gear every time you leave the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A lovely afternoon in Castlebar, bright with blue skies, big change from the last 4 days which were wet and dark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

most of Saturday daylight should stay dry in Dublin, with rain in the evening. Once that rain clears, it looks very dry after that. The high temperature extremes are now off the table, not only here but in the UK as well, looks like 16 or 17C will be the max in Ireland/UK over the weekend with most places hitting 14 or 15C.

I think personally that's just as well. Better to get those high temperatures between late spring and early autumn rather than now. Even 14 to 16C is considerably above normal for late Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Come back beast from the east. Come and have another go if u think ur hard enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Are the ensembles still showing a temperature plunge at end of Feb / start of March?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

jArgHA wrote: »
    Are the ensembles still showing a temperature plunge at end of Feb / start of March?

Nothing particularly cold

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Kerry

Southeast winds will reach mean speeds between 50 and 65km/h with gusts between 90 and 100 km/h. High Seas with a risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: Thursday 21 February 2019 16:00 to Friday 22 February 2019 05:00

Issued: Wednesday 20 February 2019 19:00

Updated: Wednesday 20 February 2019 19:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

what a climate.
    what a lifestyle.

I would find that climate boring. The only thing i might like from southern Spain's climate is the intense thunderstorms they get, but summer from now till October, no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got up to 14.8C here near Tralee giving it the feel of a very mild Spring like day , again very mild tonight at 12.9C in a fresh Southerly wind.

txint_uk_hzh7.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Horrible morning windy damp dull only saving grace is that it’s not cold. As a runner give me the lovely warm sunny dry calm climate of the med anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Lovely morning in Dublin 5. Sunny but mild and there's a nice gentle breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Horrible here in Tipp, very dark and damp. It's not even cold, one of those useless February days

an average day at Dunshaughlin, mild and mostly cloudy with the odd glimse of sunshine.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Lovely morning in Dublin 5. Sunny but mild and there's a nice gentle breeze.

Very nice conditions in Dublin 13 too. Perfect for a walk.

XHjp7Ou.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some glimmers of sunshine here. 11c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Sounds like we're very lucky here in Dublin then. The satellite shows that east Dublin has the best weather in the country at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Nice sunshine in D4.

Imagine this time last year we were watching cold upgrades on the FI thread.

This year unseasonal warmth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looks to be much better clear skies pushing into the south east now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Very nice day here in Dublin, would prefer actual winter weather but as others have said this is probably the best alternative if we can't have that.

14.3c and mainly sunny

sun broken through here over the past hour, very nice mild, dry and sunny day. A real taste of Spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Spectacular day. I wonder will Phoenix Park breach the 16.5 recorded last week?

Cloudy day in cork city. Humid though.

warmest conditions look to be in Scotland and towards Northern Ireland.

Meteociel showing a 21C in Northern Ireland which has to be a mistake.
    Looks like 16C near Derry.

temp_uk.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Sunny and Dry here in meath, fairly strong breeze to, great drying out there

Sunny and Dry here in meath, fairly strong breeze to, great drying out there

fantastic day here too, mild despite the strong breeze and very sunny, temperature currently 13C.

Next Monday is looking warm for Meath with 16C forecasted for much of Meath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭lolie

warmest conditions look to be in Scotland and towards Northern Ireland.

Meteociel showing a 21C in Northern Ireland which has to be a mistake.
    Looks like 16C near Derry.

temp_uk.png

Now showing 24°c, must be some big bonfires lit up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

fantastic day here too, mild despite the strong breeze and very sunny, temperature currently 13C.

Next Monday is looking warm for Meath with 16C forecasted for much of Meath.

Clouded over here now, still a fair breeze though

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

lolie wrote: »
    Now showing 24°c, must be some big bonfires lit up there.
    Yep, 12th July came early this year!
    No, Co.down here, no more than 13C today, stiffish breeze tho`

was about the same temp in Cork today as the rest of the week but it feels a lot warmer, the breeze is warmer. Its humid too. Still dull cloud though, 10 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Someone clearly doesn't like us.

There is 4 inches of Snow in Las Vegas.

The world could have a day after tomorrow event and still miss out.

possibly the peak of the warmth next Monday.

102-582UK.GIF?21-12

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Just looking at the ECM this evening and from a cold lover's perspective, the horror show continues. The horror show that was and is winter 2018/2019 shows no sign of abating.

The so called experts got it spectacularly wrong with their predictions.

Lesson learned.

I won't be taking ANY winter forecast next October/November seriously from ANY source and that includes the UK Met Office periodic "outlooks"....... an absolute SHOCKER of a winter.

Roll on Spring...........:D

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oh I love the ignorance of "you can be right twenty times, but be wrong once and I'll say you're always wrong".

Fits nicely to politics too.

derekon wrote: »
    I won't be taking ANY winter forecast next October/November seriously from ANY source and that includes the UK Met Office periodic "outlooks"....... an absolute SHOCKER of a winter.

D

Why take them seriously in the first place? It's all just for fun and pure speculation.

derekon wrote: »
    Just looking at the ECM this evening and from a cold lover's perspective, the horror show continues. The horror show that was and is winter 2018/2019 shows no sign of abating.

The so called experts got it spectacularly wrong with their predictions.

Lesson learned.

Roll on Spring...........:D

D

I think it's safe to say next Winter will be colder than this winter, this winter has been exceptional in terms of model failure and relentless mild and even warmth. We're bound to have more frost and lower temperatures next winter, it would be difficult to achieve another winter as mild as this one so soon.

Winter 2017/2018 and Winter 2018/2019 have been two winters back to back of opposite extremes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Why take them seriously in the first place? It's all just for fun and pure speculation.

A lot of the forecasts are not just for fun and people / companies do make decisions based off them. It seems quite irresponsible for agencies like the Met Office to put out mid / long term forecast with absolutely pathetic accuracy records.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    A lot of the forecasts are not just for fun and people / companies do make decisions based off them. It seems quite irresponsible for agencies like the Met Office to put out mid / long term forecast with absolutely pathetic accuracy records.

It's all about money in that department then if you're going down that road.

EDIT: Plus what JCX BXC said too I guess.

• Advertisement
Advertisement