Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭kk.man

Sami23 wrote: »
    Do both lambs need to out of sight from the Ewe for adoption crates to work ?

I put them in the 'body' of the crate for the 1st day and then transfer them to where her head is on a few times each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    It's in a good few lamb finisher rations already

I suppose I’m just open minded to learning about all the possible ingredients out there for finishing lambs and feeding ewes. I was looking at a ewe nut I’m feeding atm., €310 a tonne. Has maize as the number one ingredient, but then has a some cheap fillers like Palm in it as well. Same with lamb fatteners. Have good and poor ingredients mixed together. I find it curious that sometimes buy the good ingredients as straights a lot cheaper then rations, that have a lot of rubbish included, that you don’t really want. As I said just open minded to trying different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

Sami23 wrote: »
    Great post.

What type of cold milk do you give

Lamblac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭DJ98

Some of the ewes in the shed are gone very lame, scalds and an odd case of footrot, footbathing doesn't seem to be helping, they are due to lamb from March 1st on, could they be injected with alymicin or would this do harm to the lambs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i have a lamb gone off drinking the ewe he was part of a triplet i pulled him off last night , his belly seems bloated he was not cold but left him under the lamp all day, gave him 100 ml of milk in a tube last night and thought he woud be mad for milk today but barely got 250 ml into him all day seems bloated still , gave him a shot of betamox an hour ago any ideas what it is ? hes very lethargic and just wants to lie down , hes not bawling or anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i have a lamb gone off drinking the ewe he was part of a triplet i pulled him off last night , his belly seems bloated he was not cold but left him under the lamp all day, gave him 100 ml of milk in a tube last night and thought he woud be mad for milk today but barely got 250 ml into him all day seems bloated still , gave him a shot of betamox an hour ago any ideas what it is ? hes very lethargic and just wants to lie down , hes not bawling or anything

Had a twin like that last year for a few days, he was mad to suck though. I had him in a pen beside the ewe, I think 20 mls liquid paraffin 4 times a day and drop him into the ewe four times a day for a small suck each time. He was flying after 3 or 4 days.

would u think hes bound up? i gave him liquid parfin yesterday 20mls. is that enough? also gave him warm water with fairy liquid in it heard it was great to get stomach moving. amyoone ever hear of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I’d say he is bound up. Shake him and see does he rattle. If so then tube feed with lectade only for a few days. Give him scourhalt and oxygen and syringe a bit of warm soapy water up rear. Not many live but an odd one does. You have to try.

jaysus i gave warm soapy water down the neck! what do u mean by oxegyn?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Maybe oxytocin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

DJ98 wrote: »
    Some of the ewes in the shed are gone very lame, scalds and an odd case of footrot, footbathing doesn't seem to be helping, they are due to lamb from March 1st on, could they be injected with alymicin or would this do harm to the lambs?

What you footbathing with? I use 10:1 bluestone mix with a bit of formalin, leave them stand for a minute, works well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭DJ98

What you footbathing with? I use 10:1 bluestone mix with a bit of formalin, leave them stand for a minute, works well

Formalin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Oxtytetracycline antibiotic.

Have some paddocks put aside since November. Nice cover of grass. Would I be mad letting ewes in now and fertilizing after grazing or would ye keep them locked out. Not lambing until last week of March onwards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Have some paddocks put aside since November. Nice cover of grass. Would I be mad letting ewes in now and fertilizing after grazing or would ye keep them locked out. Not lambing until last week of March onwards ?

First reaction - "mad" :)

However - if you could strip graze, then it might work out. If you cant, then I'd leave for ewes and lambs...

Interested to hear others opinions tho.

You have saved it this long i would keep it for post lambing and strip graze it then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

To get grass growing for the year, it needs to be grazed earlier than most are currently doing. The target, though not set in stone, is to get around 30% of the ground grazed by the end of February. Then fertilise it. That ground will have greened up nicely by the start of April and grass will be growing there where the stuff grazed later will still be sluggish to get going.

I'd be inclined to let that cover alone for ewes and lambs and go into some lighter covers now so you will have that ready for grazing in early/mid April?

Again, that's the angle being pushed for growing more grass atm. You could go half and half and graze some of it now and see how both halves do this spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

7 weeks till first week of april. Id be inclined to give it a quick graze,dont go too hard on it.

Hard to know what to do lads. Will be up at 15 degrees by the weekend. Everything their eating atm is from the mill. Prefer to spend it on a bag of fert then a bag of meal if possible. Could be worse, never usually have grass this early.

Lads will ye settle a bit, I really hope I'm wrong but we might not be out of the woods yet....the talk of graze now and graze again in early April and 30% grazed by end of Feb is all grand until ye think back to last year when the beast from the east didnt hit until March

See the images below:

https://www.thejournal.ie/photos-of-snow-ireland-3881088-Mar2018/

• Advertisement

roosky wrote: »
    Lads will ye settle a bit, I really hope I'm wrong but we might not be out of the woods yet....the talk of graze now and graze again in early April and 30% grazed by end of Feb is all grand until ye think back to last year when the beast from the east didnt hit until March

See the images below:

I was looking at the met uk webcast yesterday and they compared this day last year when the beast was brewing up and now. Completely opposites. They are now talking of feb record tempatures being broken across the water, expecting up to 18degrees. Also predicted mild weather for the rest of this month. We’re more on the edge of it here and mightn’t be as warm, but you never know, but all the signs are positive as far as the eye can see.

roosky wrote: »

See the images below:

Should we also pump meal into lambs in may because there will be a lack of grass in june and july.
    Grazed grass is by far the cheapest feed available and isnt it the Same thing to feed in april if you have to rather than definitely feed now because your "saving" the grass. Grass cant grow if you dont eat it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Interesting...

You have to keep us informed as to what you do Green_farmer - given there has been such varied responses ;):D

Should we also pump meal into lambs in may because there will be a lack of grass in june and july.
    Grazed grass is by far the cheapest feed available and isnt it the Same thing to feed in april if you have to rather than definitely feed now because your "saving" the grass. Grass cant grow if you dont eat it

No obviously not but like the chances of frost and poor growth in march is a hell of a lot higher than having no grass in June and July!

We all know grass is best but like if you have ewes heavy in lamb which was the original question they cant take in enough grass to meet demand anyway so in my view its better to leave them in and feed them till lambing then when their intake ability is at its optimum and their feed demand is peaking you have more than enough grass in front of them and cut out the meal feeding to ewes post lambing.

I don’t know lads, flip a coin. The weather is all over the place , totally unpredictable, but luckily on the right side of that unpredictablility.
    Edit,
    Actually I’m going to see if I can tighten them up further and fertilise a paddock or two and see what growth is coming. If it’s shooting up, might then leave ewes in to others, on a limited basis.

I don’t know lads, flip a coin. The weather is all over the place , totally unpredictable
    Edit,
    Actually I’m going to see if I can tighten them up further and fertilise a paddock or two and see what growth is coming. If it’s shooting up, might then leave ewes in to others, on a limited basis.

What county are you in?

What county are you in?

Midwest

Its up to yourself,buts its a ling time till april to have grass just sitting in fields
    Dairy men will be starting their 2nd round then...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

You’ll be feeding lambs all winter if you haven’t any grass when they lamb. Good green grass is rocket fuel for a milking ewe

Letting a batch of ewes into lush grass could cause prolapses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I don’t know lads, flip a coin. The weather is all over the place , totally unpredictable, but luckily on the right side of that unpredictablility.
    Edit,

I'd agree - The British Met got their Winter forecast badly wrong this season

Advertisement