Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭clonagh

arctictree wrote: »
    First prolapse of the season here. Got it in and strapped her up. Do you lads give a shot of Penicillin too? See it recommended in places.

Had the same myself on Sunday. Gave her a shot of Bextamox.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

orm0nd wrote: »
    is it licensed for sheep ?

nope
    http://www.hpra.ie/img/uploaded/swedocuments/LicenseSPC_10810-009-002_20022014144937.pdf

maybe allowed under the cascade system but greysides would know better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Feckin prolapse was out again at 2pm. Put in a spoon and tightened the straps. Seems to be holding for now. Just my luck, she seems to be the dirtiest ewe I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Feckin prolapse was out again at 2pm. Put in a spoon and tightened the straps. Seems to be holding for now. Just my luck, she seems to be the dirtiest ewe I have.

We use ketofen painkiller, not licensed either, but I've decided that if I get reprimanded I'll stick a spoon in them and see how long the complainant will wait before they look for pain relief.
    Harness usually works, was the prolapse out a while and dried out, some are very persistent.
    We used to give two dispirin after a hard lambing even before it was common for vets to be prescribing pain relief, it really prevents the from falling on the newborn lambs, they let down the milk better too if they're in good form

wrangler wrote: »
    We use ketofen painkiller, not licensed either, but I've decided that if I get reprimanded I'll stick a spoon in them and see how long the complainant will wait before they look for pain relief.
    Harness usually works, was the prolapse out a while and dried out, some are very persistent.
    We used to give two dispirin after a hard lambing even before it was common for vets to be prescribing pain relief, it really prevents the from falling on the newborn lambs, they let down the milk better too if they're in good form

Yeah, looks like it was out a while. Hard to spot them in the field at the early stages of it. Very rarely use the spoon, only in the most persistent cases. Would ye take out the spoon after a few days? She's about 2 weeks from lambing.

• Advertisement

Yeah, looks like it was out a while. Hard to spot them in the field at the early stages of it. Very rarely use the spoon, only in the most persistent cases. Would ye take out the spoon after a few days? She's about 2 weeks from lambing.

Take it out 48hrs at the most, always seem to get an infection with the spoon if in too long, we never use antibiotic for prolapse, never seem to need it, clean it well with very dilute savlon, if it gets hard and dry it's very difficult to cure. Combination of spoon and harness should stop it,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭razor8

orm0nd wrote: »
    is it licensed for sheep ?

No pain killer is licensed for sheep but vets are prescribing it in severe cases

Metacam also works as a antiflametry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just a quick reminder that today is the closing date for the return of the sheep census and can only be done online until midnight tonight if you're registered with Agfood.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

Just a quick reminder that today is the closing date for the return of the sheep census and can only be done online until midnight tonight if you're registered with Agfood.

and if you are on the site please note the number if spelling mistakes and ludicrous breed variations to chose from clearly doesn't have a clue about irish sheep ,no doubt whoever is responsible is waiting for their salary until the matter has been rectified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    and if you are on the site please note the number if spelling mistakes and ludicrous breed variations to chose from clearly doesn't have a clue about irish sheep ,no doubt whoever is responsible is waiting for their salary until the matter has been rectified.
    I just looked in there now and all I can say is WOW.

I'm sure they have the full confidence of the authorities...

• Advertisement

Sure just look at your flock register. The size of the cells have no relation to the data that has to be entered. They are all the same size. The cell for the Tag number especially being way too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭DJ98

How much milk would a pet lamb want to be getting in a day, currently going one a litre a day over 2 feeds, would this be enough?

DJ98 wrote: »
    How much milk would a pet lamb want to be getting in a day, currently going one a litre a day over 2 feeds, would this be enough?

I'd start off at 1 litre over 4 feeds and move up to 2 litres after 2 weeks over 2 or 3 feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Anybody any experience with charrlois x beltex Rams? Neighbour has a few purebred beltex hoggets which he used my charrlois ram on lambing now and lovely looking lambs great length and I'd say will fill out with plenty muscle in the right places.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭roosky

I have finally got the knack of rearing pet lambs without a fancy expensive feeder

so I start them on milk replacer building up to a liter but never more than 350 ml in a feed.

I train them on the bucket so I can feed upto six at a time.....over the course of a few days bring them back to cold milk, this limits stomach issues

Then when you get them on cold milk fill the feeder with cold water and let them suck like guddo and fill them selves with water, then replace with cold milk and keep it topped up everyday

Your lambs are now on ad-lib cold milk that can be fillled just once a day and because they are adlib they wont swell or get sick and because it cold they wont gorge on milk.....

After two weeks give them a cooked ration and keep that ad lib too but give them a fresh bit every other day to keep them interested.

Wean lambs abruptly when they meet these three criteria:

1. Minimum of 10 kg live weight or 2.5 times birth weight whichever is greater
    2. 35 days of age
    3. Consuming 250g of concentrates daily for three consecutive days

then keep the meal to them after this its not economically viable to keep them on milk replacer

roosky wrote: »
    I have finally got the knack of rearing pet lambs without a fancy expensive feeder

so I start them on milk replacer building up to a liter but never more than 350 ml in a feed.

I train them on the bucket so I can feed upto six at a time.....over the course of a few days bring them back to cold milk, this limits stomach issues

Then when you get them on cold milk fill the feeder with cold water and let them suck like guddo and fill them selves with water, then replace with cold milk and keep it topped up everyday

Your lambs are now on ad-lib cold milk that can be fillled just once a day and because they are adlib they wont swell or get sick and because it cold they wont gorge on milk.....

After two weeks give them a cooked ration and keep that ad lib too but give them a fresh bit every other day to keep them interested.

2. 35 days of age

then keep the meal to them after this its not economically viable to keep them on milk replacer

We do the same, great system, never lose a pet with bloat

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Lambman wrote: »
    Anybody any experience with charrlois x beltex Rams? Neighbour has a few purebred beltex hoggets which he used my charrlois ram on lambing now and lovely looking lambs great length and I'd say will fill out with plenty muscle in the right places.

We breed them the other way around use the beltex ram to chase up the pedigree charollais ewes, they turn into great sheep and we have customers come back for rams repeatedly so they must do a good job. You need a good strong square beltex ram to keep good growth rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

We breed them the other way around use the beltex ram to chase up the pedigree charollais ewes, they turn into great sheep and we have customers come back for rams repeatedly so they must do a good job. You need a good strong square beltex ram to keep good growth rates.

Good sheep to improve a light white ewe from wales and make something of her progeny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭DJ98

Is there money to be made from rearing pets or is it better to sell them as Foster lambs on donedeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Sami23

roosky wrote: »

2. 35 days of age

Great post.

What type of cold milk do you give

• Advertisement

Is there money to be made from rearing pets or is it better to sell them as Foster lambs on donedeal?

All depends on the sale price. Selling for 70 or 80 euro will leave you with very little profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

If you’re getting 20 or 25euro for them, they’re gone out of your hair at a busy time... I think it’s the easier money..
    But - you’d want to know where they are going to... they’d be so small, you’d like to be sure they’d be minded properly in their new home... well, I would...

If you’re getting 20 or 25euro for them, they’re gone out of your hair at a busy time... I think it’s the easier money..
    But - you’d want to know where they are going to... they’d be so small, you’d like to be sure they’d be minded properly in their new home... well, I would...

Some of the sold ones meet a horrible end, potbellies, dirty arse and dry wool,
    I've seen too many going that way so never would sell one now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

wrangler wrote: »
    Some of the sold ones meet a horrible end, potbellies, dirty arse and dry wool,
    I've seen too many going that way so never would sell one now

It’s true... that’s why I say you’d want to know where they are going...
    Having said that - we have had pets that ended up like that too Wrangler... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

As far as I know, maize meal is what used to be known as "yellow meal" - old lads used to swear by yellow meal & barley as a finishing ration for lambs...

Anyone actively using it to finish lambs ? Was reading it preforms as good as barley but with less risk of acidosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

25 lambed since Thursday. Going well.no major losses yet thank god. A lot of singles came first though so there was no chance of a wet adoption. Would any of ye bring them in amd try and get them going with a second lamb or is it worth the hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭kk.man

25 lambed since Thursday. Going well.no major losses yet thank god. A lot of singles came first though so there was no chance of a wet adoption. Would any of ye bring them in amd try and get them going with a second lamb or is it worth the hassle?

Adoption crate?

We'd do ewes that are two or three days lambed, we'd put a hand into them and manipulate them as if you were lambing them, they start licking their lips eventually, it could take five or ten minutes, Take out your hand a few times, the ewe should lick it if you put it up to her nose, rub the hand in the wetfoster lamb as well, get as much fluid on the lamb as you can get in the ewe, have the legs tied on the foster lamb, take away her own lamb out of earshot, take off the leg ties after 10 mins........and pray

Anyone actively using it to finish lambs ? Was reading it preforms as good as barley but with less risk of acidosis.

It's in a good few lamb finisher rations already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Sami23

kk.man wrote: »
    Adoption crate?

Do both lambs need to out of sight from the Ewe for adoption crates to work ?

Advertisement