Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

ganmo wrote: »
    As long as ya link the cut out tag and the new tag it doesn't matter what age they are

Thanks to all for replies to my question.....I put in all ewe lambs to his flock register on dates they were bought and then ‘retagged’ them all on a date in January and wrote that down in end column.....hope that will be ok if he ever got an inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Cran

Anyone know if much of a market for in lamb ewe lambs this year?

Due to a situation here looking at ways of reducing work load at lambing, and not lambing ewe lambs seems best way of doing that. Saying that these are my best ewe lambs & don’t want to be giving them away........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Cran wrote: »

Due to a situation here looking at ways of reducing work load at lambing, and not lambing ewe lambs seems best way of doing that. Saying that these are my best ewe lambs & don’t want to be giving them away........

Ewe lambs will be a hard sell. Cant imagine youd get too much more than fat lambs:/

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

Lamb them down n let it be the last year of them . It’s my last year lambing them down as yearlings because the lambing just drags on to long for me

Young95 wrote: »
    Lamb them down n let it be the last year of them . It’s my last year lambing them down as yearlings because the lambing just drags on to long for me

Tbh I don’t mind lambing the ewe lambs, it’s just specific situation this year here that looking to reduce workload as once off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Ewe lambs will be a hard sell. Cant imagine youd get too much more than fat lambs:/

Ewes with lambs at foot seem to what the market wants atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Tbh I don’t mind lambing the ewe lambs, it’s just specific situation this year here that looking to reduce workload as once off

Would ya look at getting someone to lamb them for ya?
    Or is it for the full season you're looking for an easier time?

ganmo wrote: »
    Would ya look at getting someone to lamb them for ya?
    Or is it for the full season you're looking for an easier time?

Have lambing help, tbh it’s not many I only put top 40 to the ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭razor8

What would you hope to get for them?

razor8 wrote: »
    What would you hope to get for them?

Not sure tbh, was just a thought but what I’m hearing wouldn’t get anywhere near what I d be willing let them go for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Not sure tbh, was just a thought but what I’m hearing wouldn’t get anywhere near what I d be willing let them go for.

Pedigree or commercial?

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Pedigree or commercial?

Commercial, Mule cross Logies the pedigrees ewe lambs are in lamb as well but they will be kept as all held of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

anyone know what this would be? a pink discharge from a ewe that was about 5-6 days lambed. wasnt much but just wondering shoud she get an injection or is it ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Dickie10 wrote: »
    anyone know what this would be? a pink discharge from a ewe that was about 5-6 days lambed. wasnt much but just wondering shoud she get an injection or is it ok?

Sounds like she picked up an infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,089 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If she's eating and milking well she's usually ok, some will have a discharge.
    If she's off form or lambs look hungry she needs an injection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have a group of ewes and lambs at grass, grass gone very scarce, they are getting beet and was going to introduce oats aswell, would this be enough to keep them going until grass is available again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

give them decent amount of ewe and lamb nuts , you have the hard work done by getting lambs on the ground dont mess it up now for want of feed. keep ewes milking well the ewe is under most pressure 3-5 weeks after lambing

give them decent amount of ewe and lamb nuts , you have the hard work done by getting lambs on the ground dont mess it up now for want of feed. keep ewes milking well the ewe is under most pressure 3-5 weeks after lambing

+1
    I'd be advising building them up to at least 1.5 kgs/day for doubles divided in two feeds, even that wouldn't be as good as giving them enough grass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

wrangler wrote: »
    +1
    I'd be advising building them up to at least 1.5 kgs/day for doubles divided in two feeds, even that wouldn't be as good as giving them enough grass

I would agree, no point in trying to save pennies now...

But I would say beer and oats are good feeding too... sheep will milk well off beet...

To answer your question DJ - If tis oats you have already, you could give them oats, it’s good feeding... if not, you could go with ewe nuts...

But I would still continue with the beet, good feeding in it...

I would agree, no point in trying to save pennies now...

But I would say beer and oats are good feeding too... sheep will milk well off beet...

To answer your question DJ - If tis oats you have already, you could give them oats, it’s good feeding... if not, you could go with ewe nuts...

But I would still continue with the beet, good feeding in it...

I thought beet was high energy low protein, do they milk well on beet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Wrangler, what’s the nuts feeding again with singles and doubles. Have them on bare ground. 4-5 weeks out from start of lambing. Have them all on .5kg ewe nuts plus a shake of maize meal on top, but was going to step up the twins to 1kg a day gradually over next week or two. What you think ?

Wrangler, what’s the nuts feeding again with singles and doubles. Have them on bare ground. 4-5 weeks out from start of lambing. Have them all on .5kg ewe nuts plus a shake of maize meal on top, but was going to step up the twins to 1kg a day gradually over next week or two. What you think ?

That sounds all right, be careful of the singles, grass should be growing now and you mightn't think it, you could have big singles this year due to the growth and mild weather, grass is rocket fuel this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, I'm putting lambs out in t-shirt weather. Some difference compared to last year....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Got all the first colour of raddle ewes in lambing house today and the cameras setup.. couple quick questions do you still leave lick buckets with them inside? I'm feard in a tighter space they might fight over it and get a knock? Also we're this shed is at the bales aren't chopped be ok till use them or just cart over some chopped stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭DJ98

How many lambing pens woud you recommend for 100 ewes?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Lambman wrote: »
    Got all the first colour of raddle ewes in lambing house today and the cameras setup.. couple quick questions do you still leave lick buckets with them inside? I'm feard in a tighter space they might fight over it and get a knock? Also we're this shed is at the bales aren't chopped be ok till use them or just cart over some chopped stuff?

Think the main thing with unchopped is that it can slow down their intake but I'm sure others on here know more.

We leave lick buckets with them. It'll help with the transition inside to a different diet and they're a bit of check/test too on how the ewes are doing: if they start motoring thru the lick buckets, then something might be wrong with whatever you're feeding them.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

DJ98 wrote: »

Official advised ratio is 1:10 but it depends on how fast they lamb. You'll obviously need more if they're all going to lamb within two weeks but less if they'll be two months lambing.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

DJ98 wrote: »

Depends on if ypu have another spot for ewes after they lamb? Id say 15 at least.
    We have about 23 for 110 or thereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭arctictree

Depends on if ypu have another spot for ewes after they lamb? Id say 15 at least.
    We have about 23 for 110 or thereabouts

Sounds like a lot. I have 4 pens for 70 Ewes. Then a group pen of about 150sq ft where they go after a day. Putting them out on day 2 in this weather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

8 pens for 65 ewes. Singles into a group pen straight away and triplets stay in pens until one is falling behind and joins the pets.

Some ewes bond very quickly and can be moved on very quickly into a group pen and you can still mark and keep an eye on the dodgy ones for a few days?

Advertisement