Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

I would agree, no point in trying to save pennies now...

But I would say beer and oats are good feeding too... sheep will milk well off beet...

To answer your question DJ - If tis oats you have already, you could give them oats, it’s good feeding... if not, you could go with ewe nuts...

But I would still continue with the beet, good feeding in it...

r u recommending I have guinness with my porridge?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    A good start to the morning:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Lano Lynn wrote: »

Sure what else would you have with yer porridge? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭DJ98

Whats the knack to stomach tubing lambs, allways affraid to try it in case its done wrong (get someone else to do it), is there any tricks to ensure its done right?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭joe35

plus 1 on this DJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

https://youtu.be/mz85pKsgQ0c
    If you or the lamb in uncomfortable with the way its gone down try again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

DJ98 wrote: »
    Whats the knack to stomach tubing lambs, allways affraid to try it in case its done wrong (get someone else to do it), is there any tricks to ensure its done right?

take the plunger out of the syringe,wash the tube in warm water to soften it and push it slowly down, put the barrel of the syringe to your ear, if you hear breathing take it out and try again, 9 out of ten 10 times it goes down right, You'll hear stomach gurgling noises if it's right or breathing if it's not right,
    It's important to get a chilled lamb over 35 degrees celsuis before you tube him,because the oesaphagus is closed over when they're cold, So it's good to have a thermometer. a thermometer is useful in that if you think a lamb doesn't look great and take his temperature, it'll be below normal, sometimes they're only hungry and too far gone to suck, heat them up give them a feed and they;ll be off , ewe just might have an infection
    Normal temperature in a lamb is 39=40 degrees celsius

Just edited to say I never use the plunger, I let the milk flow by gravity into the lamb, I would add a drop of warm water to the milk/biestings if it was thick

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Watch the video and read Wrangler's post, then try it yourself. Once you do it the first time, you'll never get it wrong.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, have a ewe that was scanned for 2. She had the first about an hour ago. Nice big lamb doing well. She's making no effort for the second and seems to be happy enough. Would ye go in and check? My gut Is telling me there is nothing there and I'd only be messing with her needlessly.

As above, once you've done it a couple of times, should be no bother to you. I have two very small pet lambs here only a couple of days old and have to give them a tube as well as a suck at each feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭roosky

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads, have a ewe that was scanned for 2. She had the first about an hour ago. Nice big lamb doing well. She's making no effort for the second and seems to be happy enough. Would ye go in and check? My gut Is telling me there is nothing there and I'd only be messing with her needlessly.

ya just handle her and then you can forget about her and move onto next job !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'd leave her another 15-20 minutes and then handle her to check. Not a huge deal to put your hand in gently and then inject with penicillin afterwards.

On the other hand, is there any chance she had one lamb before you saw her? And the lamb you're looking at is the second? We had this last year when the first lamb had stumbled out into another pen and was drinking a ewe that had just lambed a single herself.

It was like fecking Eastenders trying to figure out who was related to who!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

How many lambing pens woud you recommend for 100 ewes?

I lamb down quickly so like 95% to first service so 90% in 10 days, for a 100 ewes i would want 20 pens or at least the option to go to 20 pens.

Its all grand saying 1:10 but you will have a sick one, a triplet, a weak one, a foster, and a few akward ones that hold pens up for a few days

I'd leave her another 15-20 minutes and then handle her to check. Not a huge deal to put your hand in gently and then inject with penicillin afterwards.

On the other hand, is there any chance she had one lamb before you saw her? And the lamb you're looking at is the second? We had this last year when the first lamb had stumbled out into another pen and was drinking a ewe that had just lambed a single herself.

It was like fecking Eastenders trying to figure out who was related to who!

Just checked her and there is another lamb on the way. Seems to be presented fine. It's just unusual for the second lamb to be so long after the first. She lambs the first at 9am. How long would ye give her until the lamb is in trouble and you need to pull? Maybe a shot of Oxytocin?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Just checked her and there is another lamb on the way. Seems to be presented fine. It's just unusual for the second lamb to be so long after the first. She lambs the first at 9am. How long would ye give her until the lamb is in trouble and you need to pull? Maybe a shot of Oxytocin?

I'd only leave her half an hour, I'd be getting the lamb out, it'll be good experience for you, he must be big or something

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Anyone going to lleyn dispersal sale in tullow? could let us know what trade is like

wrangler wrote: »
    I'd only leave her half an hour, I'd be getting the lamb out, it'll be good experience for you, he must be big or something

Drama over, she lambed it herself a few minutes ago. Nice big lamb. Yeah, I've pulled many a lamb at this stage but sometimes it's probably better just to leave alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Anyone going to lleyn dispersal sale in tullow? could let us know what trade is like

Nice ewes,small money enough. My father bought a pen of them for 135 scanned with 2 lambs mixed ages, he said that was about the average they made, tops of 145 or that

Nice ewes,small money enough. My father bought a pen of them for 135 scanned with 2 lambs mixed ages, he said that was about the average they made, tops of 145 or that

Sound value so, was there easycares sold too? What sorta money they get? Would have went only in the thick of lambing

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Sound value so, was there easycares sold too? What sorta money they get? Would have went only in the thick of lambing

Was 30 2 year olds scanned at 1.8 around 150-160 he said. Wasnt there myself but the leyns seem very good value due from now on,prob would have picked up a few myself if i was there. Was over 200 in lamb there again today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Foster ewe vs selling pet lambs??? Do you sell pet lambs or buy a foster ewe? I never bought a foster ewe yet and never will for the main reason off scared of bringing in disease especially at lambing time. Having a strange ewe in the yard trying till get pet lambs on her when other lambs are being born and at high risk off infection... Not knowing there dosing regime or resistances doesn't make sense till me... Not running a closed flock here buy in old ewes off the hill every year but are run separate from main flock... Bought in hoggets aswell last few years but same thing ran separate with different ram. What's your opinions on buying foster ewes?

Lambman wrote: »
    Foster ewe vs selling pet lambs??? Do you sell pet lambs or buy a foster ewe? I never bought a foster ewe yet and never will for the main reason off scared of bringing in disease especially at lambing time. Having a strange ewe in the yard trying till get pet lambs on her when other lambs are being born and at high risk off infection... Not knowing there dosing regime or resistances doesn't make sense till me... Not running a closed flock here buy in old ewes off the hill every year but are run separate from main flock... Bought in hoggets aswell last few years but same thing ran separate with different ram. What's your opinions on buying foster ewes?

Got scab in one we bought. Havent bought one since. Theres a reson they have no lamb and usually a bad one. Sell the lambs in my opinion. In lamb ewes would be more genuine

Just had a ewe lamb down with Triplets and she's no milk whatsoever. Hard elders. Knew my lucky streak would end!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Just wondering. Feeding ewes 20% protein before lambing. Should that continue out into the field, if so how long would you feed for after going to field. Would the 18% nuts do? I know it depends on grass. We have a decent cover of grass atm.

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Just wondering. Feeding ewes 20% protein before lambing. Should that continue out into the field, if so how long would you feed for after going to field. Would the 18% nuts do? I know it depends on grass. We have a decent cover of grass atm.

Some would say to not feed them after lambing!
    18% should be fine though

Found a ewe this morning with a droopy ear and im sure its the signs of listeria.

I got the full shebang off the vet and filled her with all, whats her chances of pulling through.

Lambing in 3 weeks, lively and alert and still eating

roosky wrote: »
    Found a ewe this morning with a droopy ear and im sure its the signs of listeria.

I got the full shebang off the vet and filled her with all, whats her chances of pulling through.

Lambing in 3 weeks, lively and alert and still eating

Usually recover quickly when got in time

MeTheMan wrote: »

Not feeding outside here, straight out to grass after 12hrs or so

Usually recover quickly when got in time

Ya i think im as early as i could be and good sign she is still eating but some sources say its nearly a waste of antibiotics.....

• Advertisement

roosky wrote: »
    Ya i think im as early as i could be and good sign she is still eating but some sources say its nearly a waste of antibiotics.....

No def not, even engemycin I’ll bring them round

Advertisement