Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

For all the criticism we have for Ray, his interview with Rory/Panti was very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

DarBucks wrote: »
    For all the criticism we have for Ray, his interview with Rory/Panti was very well done.

Didnt hear it all, but was going to say something similar. I expected the worst beforehand, but it turned out to be very good. Shows that he can be a good interviewer when he wants to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

DarBucks wrote: »

Raging I missed that, I'll have to check out the podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,723 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Didnt hear it all, but was going to say something similar. I expected the worst beforehand, but it turned out to be very good. Shows that he can be a good interviewer when he wants to be.

And then he follows up this interview by interviewing John Mooney, who broke the story about the GSOC offices being bugged in the Sunday Times. He actually asked Mooney "did GSOC leak this?".

He seriously asked the journalist who broke to story to confirm if GSOC were his source.

Mooney couldn't believe it, laughed and said something along the lines of "from one journalist to another you should know that I wont reveal my source".

Problem is it isn't from one journalist to another.

Stick to playing all of "I am the Resurrection" first thing on a Monday morning Ray. That's what your good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BPKS wrote: »
    And then he follows up this interview by interviewing John Mooney, who broke the story about the GSOC offices being bugged in the Sunday Times. He actually asked Mooney "did GSOC leak this?".

He seriously asked the journalist who broke to story to confirm if GSOC were his source.

Mooney couldn't believe it, laughed and said something along the lines of "from one journalist to another you should know that I wont reveal my source".

Stick to playing all of "I am the Resurrection" first thing on a Monday morning Ray. That's what your good at.

That was funny, Ray went on to ask him another question and Mooney just said, "I'm still in shock after your last question."

I think he may have been a bit of a drama queen, but the way Ray asked the question may have made Mooney answer it by mistake which would've cost him a whole heap of trouble.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That was funny, Ray went on to ask him another question and Mooney just said, "I'm still in shock after your last question."

I think he may have been a bit of a drama queen, but the way Ray asked the question may have made Mooney answer it by mistake which would've cost him a whole heap of trouble.

Was definitely a question worth asking, could ya imagine the furore if Mooney answered... that'd of been priceless alright.

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Was definitely a question worth asking, could ya imagine the furore if Mooney answered... that'd of been priceless alright.

I think the problem was that Ray didn't ask in a Paxman style way of getting Mooney to spill the beans, he was just trying to understand it himself and it was almost a rhetorical question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Ray immediately said I'm no journalist too Mooney

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Nice one Ray, to Cecelia Ahern, and the recession happened, did it affect you..

Her dad caused it ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Twice!!! He asked Mooney about his source twice!!

Like BaZmO* (That's an annoyin name to type) it wasn't even Paxman style, he was just being nosey. Anybody hear the interview with the lad in Canada, something off about it. I don't want to say Ray was out and out judging him but there definitely wasn't as much sympathy as he'd usually manage to muster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

WTF is an Umbudsman ? He mentioned it about 16 times first thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

BPKS wrote: »

Really showed Ray up for what he is, a very poor interviewer

Really showed Ray up for what he is, a very poor interviewer

Not really. The rest of the interview was fine, and it's a pretty fluffy show at the best of times anyway so the reporter probably should've expected that line of questioning.

That Margaret chick, who is part of the deeply in love bit is one of the best people he's had on in ages. She's fecking well priceless!

That Margaret chick, who is part of the deeply in love bit is one of the best people he's had on in ages. She's fecking well priceless!

Ah, I can't stand her. Her stories are far too rehearsed and they're not even that interesting. I tuned in as she was telling that story about he stones on the beach, what a waste of five minutes.

It sounded like a **** piece anyway. A nice idea in theory but getting people on to talk about how in love they are? Was that the theme? From what I heard it sounded like it.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Ah, I can't stand her. Her stories are far too rehearsed and they're not even that interesting. I tuned in as she was telling that story about he stones on the beach, what a waste of five minutes.

It sounded like a **** piece anyway. A nice idea in theory but getting people on to talk about how in love they are? Was that the theme? From what I heard it sounded like it.

I'll be honest, I wasn't entirely looking forward to it. The other couple were a bit sickening, but I thought she was hilarious. Course he stories were rehearsed, she's probably told them many a time, especially as she said she suffers with depression, so I can imagine they're well talked out, but there was a certain life wisdom in what she said, and I like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

There'll always be a contrarian on a thread like this, I suppose. She managed to take a pretty fluffy nonsense piece and managed to be able go beyond it and make it interesting. I enjoyed it. Fair play to her.

I'll be honest, I wasn't entirely looking forward to it. The other couple were a bit sickening, but I thought she was hilarious. Course he stories were rehearsed, she's probably told them many a time, especially as she said she suffers with depression, so I can imagine they're well talked out, but there was a certain life wisdom in what she said, and I like that.

I can see where you're coming, if I understood her her husband is seriously ill? So I can see why she wanted to maybe gt a platform to talk about what she's going through. But in general my judgment of people who would put themselves forward for a piece about people in love (I don't know how they advertised for people) would be pretty low.

It just seems a little "ooo, look how in love we are"

I can see where you're coming, if I understood her her husband is seriously ill? So I can see why she wanted to maybe gt a platform to talk about what she's going through. But in general my judgment of people who would put themselves forward for a piece about people in love (I don't know how they advertised for people) would be pretty low.

It just seems a little "ooo, look how in love we are"

Doesn't he need a heart transplant. That must be tough for her, but from what she said, she's had it tough anyway from childhood on.

Trust me, I was getting ready to stream something else, I can't stand that type of segment on any radion programme, even if Valentines day is around the corner. I'm far from a romantic (last year best pressie I got was beer in the fridge so it was cold) She just lifted what would have been an otherwise dreary nauseating segment.

Doesn't he need a heart transplant. That must be tough for her, but from what she said, she's had it tough anyway from childhood on.

Trust me, I was getting ready to stream something else, I can't stand that type of segment on any radion programme, even if Valentines day is around the corner. I'm far from a romantic (last year best pressie I got was beer in the fridge so it was cold) She just lifted what would have been an otherwise dreary nauseating segment.

Yeh I think that was it. I trust you :D, as I said I only came in during the beach story and I still think that to call it a "story" is a stretch but I appear to be in the minority. But in all consideration I would rather listen to her than 2 people crooning over each other.

The person who came up with the idea for that piece needs to taken out back ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Yh I think that was it. I trust you :D, as I said I only came in during the beach story and I still think that to call it a "story" is a stretch but I appear to be in the minority. But in all consideration I would rather listen to her than 2 people crooning over each other.

The person who came up with the idea for that piece needs to taken out back ;)

To be fair to Ray he did say "Is this nice or just sickening" about the piece he was undecided as is the group here. He tried something and the jury is out, could be worse he could have hit us with a surprise Jason Byrne on today!!

To be fair to Ray he did say "Is this nice or just sickening" about the piece he was undecided as is the group here. He tried something and the jury is out, could be worse he could have hit us with a surprise Jason Byrne on today!!

:eek:

Have you been hacked?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭PIORUN

Ray is some tit, he was seriously pissed off that Donal Ryan was still working his old job...he almost tried to get him to resign live on the radio...Sanctimonious fecker!

PIORUN wrote: »
    Ray is some tit, he was seriously pissed off that Donal Ryan was still working his old job...he almost tried to get him to resign live on the radio...Sanctimonious fecker!

It was very odd. He wouldn't let it drop at all, would he?

PIORUN wrote: »

Didn't hear it. What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Treated Jennie like a child , "Come on in, go on, go on, ask your question!".

Didn't hear it. What happened?

Donal Ryan has written two books but still works in the civil service probably for the stability of income considering he is married with young children. Ray kept trying to get him to publicly announce that he was resigning from his job. For what reason, it's hard to fathom but he was very persistent…

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭PIORUN

Donal Ryan has written two books but still works in the civil service probably for the stability of income considering he is married with young children. Ray kept trying to get him to publicly announce that he was resigning from his job. For what reason, it's hard to fathom but he was very persistent…
    Ray likes to think at times ( possibly all the time) that he's holier than thou...and it greatly disturbed him that here was this man with 2 incomes whilst there are people out there unemployed..every now and again he would pause and try to make an 'ah um' awkward sound, like there was nothing he really needed to get off his chest!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

So it's grand to present You're A Star, the Rose of Tralee and countless other programmes while also presenting a radio show five days a week but writing two books while having a Civil Service job is a no-no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I never get to hear te show due to wrk but we had a day off today thanks to storm damage.

I heard the intro where Ray seems to be a little put out still by the guy not revealing his sources re GSOC hacking. It sounded very bitchy, using mocking voices and words like "indignant" to describe his guest.

He was going on about how these sources will now have to be revealed if any committees come calling so these sources should have been revealed to Ray.

Unfortunately for Ray,he is a light entertainment show, not the security chief of the State.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement