Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Wonder do any of the tv stations or companies ever tell today fm to tell their email bag senders to get a life. Some idiot has little to worry about in life giving out about an axa ad and a car crash

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

RachaelVO wrote: »
    I would imagine the only reason he actually knew they were 6 months married is cos the emailer is too. Easy to remember.

But you could well be right about the birthday thing ;)

Are you meant to remember when your 6 months married? Ooops - too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

BPKS wrote: »
    Are you meant to remember when your 6 months married? Ooops - too late.

Thank god, we found you... (I should point out I have forgotten my anniversary for the last 3 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

There was a real "saucer of milk" moment earlier when Ray doing a(nother) segment with somebody who wrote a cook book. Somebody text in and said something along the lines of "oh great another middle-class segment". Ray didn't like it at all and kept referring to the texter for the remainder of the piece even though the woman who wrote the book was trying to fob it off. Seemed to really get his back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

DAVID BADDIEL... Always loved him :)

Good overall interview (if you omit the 10 seconds dedicated to Pepa Pigs aul lad (DB kinda agreed with him)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Shave or Dye tomorrow sponsored by Vaultswagon according to our lord Ray, not Eekeya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dr Golden

Shave or dye is very stale at this stage. can they not come up with an new fund raising idea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

Shave or dead as Ray Foley referred to it in a recent podcast.

It has had its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

dr Golden wrote: »
    Shave or dye is very stale at this stage. can they not come up with an new fund raising idea ?

Completely disagree, I know many people who have participated in this event, both in Dublin and at events around the country.

If anything it is getting stronger, there are so many people affected with cancer and it's a way people feel they can help and get involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

lambayire wrote: »

It has had its time.

And if he was still on Today FM, he'd be cheerleading with the rest of them…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

It has had its time.

Ray Foleys opinion on anything is irrelevant because he is a moron

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

dr Golden wrote: »

I also have to disagree, it's once a year and it's for a great cause. Also stale for you means recognisable for Today FM and the more recognisable it is the better.

I tuned in for a few minutes at ten and Ray was talking about how he'd let something slip about Jenny and the kids that he shouldn't have ... anybody catch this

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

It has had its time.

Was just thinking the same,i know its for a good cause and all that but the coverage of it is relentless,the build up has gone on for months and coverage will obviously last for another few months, fair dues to everyone involved. Why don't they pick a different charity every time as in not just a cancer charity*runs for cover*:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I also have to disagree, it's once a year and it's for a great cause. Also stale for you means recognisable for Today FM and the more recognisable it is the better.

I tuned in for a few minutes at ten and Ray was talking about how he'd let something slip about Jenny and the kids that he shouldn't have ... anybody catch this

They're at home with a dose of the sh1ts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Wonder what was said off air during Mail Bag that they all clearly feared had been said on air? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Wonder what was said off air during Mail Bag that they all clearly feared had been said on air? :P

i think it was just caught on air though but it happened so fast i am waiting for the podcast to check :D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Foley48

BPKS wrote: »
    I just caught the end of some guy emailing in about his wedding video.

At the end of the email he said "I would like to wish you and jenny a happy 6 month anniversary".

WTF? I wonder do many of Rays posse of followers actually keep a diary with notes on what he did on certain days.

I bet there are people texting in wishing his kids a happy birthday as they keep those dates on the kitchen wall planner too. Some people.............

If I'm not mistaken that guy (and 2 others) did an in-studio interview with Ray about getting married and they were all getting married the week after on the same day as Ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

was probably somthing along the lines of anyone who writes to email bag is a pedantic **** who cant tell reality from makey upy tv programmes and ads

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i think it was just caught on air though but it happened so fast i am waiting for the podcast to check :D

Don't waster your time. I listened back, nothing.

Although I'm now in **** form having listened to the pedantic ****e they read out. Some lad complaining about RTE passing a pre-recorded interview off as live... who honestly gives a ****. Why does Ray insist on giving them a "platform"

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Don't waster your time. I listened back, nothing.

Although I'm now in **** form having listened to the pedantic ****e they read . Some lad complaining about RTE passing a pre-recorded interview off as live... who honestly gives a ****. Why does Ray insist on giving them a "platform"

The irony of this is that throughout the years Ray would take digs at the Joe Duffy show for giving people such a platform, while feigning a north side accent "ah jaysus it's terrible Joe ". Ray himself is now the biggest moaner on the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The only thing that annoys me about the Shave or Dye thing is the constant "Oh-ho, what world record will we break this year?" gimmick. I get that it probably helps get more people involved with the promise of "You'll get your picture in the GWR book!" and it's an easy way to build hype for a worthy event, I'm just a little tired of what feels like the same thing every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The only thing that annoys me about the Shave or Dye thing is the constant "Oh-ho, what world record will we break this year?" gimmick. I get that it probably helps get more people involved with the promise of "You'll get your picture in the GWR book!" and it's an easy way to build hype for a worthy event, I'm just a little tired of what feels like the same thing every year.

I have to agree with that. Its so bloody repetitive. Dont get me wrong i give my fair share to charity but i switch off every time they start going on about a run/marathon or shaving and dying.i actually hope they don't break any record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I reading here yesterday about old man Darcys rant about the father pig in Pepa pig and was thinking this can't be for real... Then today I heard the last 15 minutes of the show. He had some guest and of course Darcy had to bring up this usual stupid questions of how old he was, and the most boring topic ever... Do you have kids? He then went into a rant about the father in Pepa pig again. Seriously? It's national radio he's on not having a chat with your mates while stoned at 4am. I find it very strange to be bringing this up twice on national radio. I can imagine Pepa pig now banned in the Darcy household because one of his kids called him silly or something.

6781 wrote: »
    I reading here yesterday about old man Darcys rant about the father pig in Pepa pig and was thinking this can't be for real... Then today I heard the last 15 minutes of the show. He had some guest and of course Darcy had to bring up this usual stupid questions of how old he was, and the most boring topic ever... Do you have kids? He then went into a rant about the father in Pepa pig again. Seriously? It's national radio he's on not having a chat with your mates while stoned at 4am. I find it very strange to be bringing this up twice on national radio. I can imagine Pepa pig now banned in the Darcy household because one of his kids called him silly or something.

I don't mind him having a chat with guests, treating them like mates. Graham Norton is very good at this. Unfortunately D'Arcy doesn't have the gift, he comes across as awkward and he can't help let his own views get in the way. Norton also knows to keep the banter focused on the guest whereas Ray tries to talk about whatever is on his mind. I didn't hear the Baddiel interview but he's been on before and I enjoyed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I don't mind him having a chat with guests, treating them like mates. Graham Norton is very good at this. Unfortunately D'Arcy doesn't have the gift, he comes across as awkward and he can't help let his own views get in the way. Norton also knows to keep the banter focused on the guest whereas Ray tries to talk about whatever is on his mind. I didn't hear the Baddiel interview but he's been on before and I enjoyed him.
    Fully agree with what you said there. My point was that it was a ridiculous thing to be talking about on the radio, and if someone you knew brought it up in general conversation you'd tell them to have a word with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

6781 wrote: »

To be fair, he brought up the Peppa Pig thing again to because he was talking to David Baddeil... who is married to Morwenna Banks, the voice of Mummy Pig. They mentioned that twice in the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Jesus the amount of giving out on this thread is unbelievable- now don't get me wrong, I agree with a lot of the basic points people are making. I can't handle the "I'm dancing/crying/laughing around the kitchen/office/van" crowd. I find Ray to be far too quick to dismiss opinions that are different to his own- he's very closed minded. He spends far too much air time on fitness, food and his children. Overall, I think the main problem people have is that it has changed so much from how it originally started out- a fun, light hearted show. It's just so ranty and agenda-driven now.

However- there's a massive amount of nit-picking on this thread about any tiny thing mentioned by Ray. In fairness to him, he can do very little right for a lot of the people who post here, no matter what he does. A few posters give credit where it's due, but most just give out.

And although it's not strictly related to Ray- it's a bit lousy to hope they don't break the record for Shave or Dye. Jesus people are doing a good- and maybe even traumatic- thing for charity, fair play to them. If breaking the record gives either the funds or the participants a boost then that's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Meangadh wrote: »
    And although it's not strictly related to Ray- it's a bit lousy to hope they don't break the record for Shave or Dye. Jesus people are doing a good- and maybe even traumatic- thing for charity, fair play to them. If breaking the record gives either the funds or the participants a boost then that's great.

Agreed, that is pettiness on a whole other level.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

Shave or Dye 2014....... I say it kills Ray that he can't shave his head or dye it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

HooohRaaah wrote: »
    Shave or Dye 2014....... I say it kills Ray that he can't shave his head or dye it
    oi!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement