Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I used my slow cooker for the first time in ages today and made a minced beef stew. It was yum.

20210512-183638.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Chilli peanut beef, as recommended by the good people of boards :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Spag bol and garlic bread tonight.

That mince beef stew looks mighty Dizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Shepherd's pie trying out a photography backdrop we got on Amazon

IMG-20210512-211505.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Looks fab cefh17!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

cefh17 wrote: »
    Shepherd's pie trying out a photography backdrop we got on Amazon

looks fab - love the potato swirl.. pardon my ignorance but whats the backdrop?

sporina wrote: »
    looks fab - love the potato swirl.. pardon my ignorance but whats the backdrop?

Thanks! It's the grey marble looking bit in the back.. the pot was too hot to put directly onto it today :P We bought this one , mostly as we've nowhere nice looking to take pics in our dainty kitchen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Pasta Boscaiola

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I used my slow cooker for the first time in ages today and made a minced beef stew. It was yum.

That looks so rich and juicy; I can never make stew like that. I hope you enjoyed it! :p

cee_jay wrote: »
    Pasta Boscaiola

That looks so tasty... I had to Google Boscaiola....

My OH makes a pasta with a creamy tomato and ham sauce (delicious!), but he calls it Milanese.
    Is it similar?

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    That looks so rich and juicy; I can never make stew like that. I hope you enjoyed it! :p

I did!. This is the way I make it. If you haven't got a slow cooker, double the amount of stock and put it in the oven in a casserole dish at 170C for 2 hours.

1lb/500g of lean minced beef
    A handful of pearl barley
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 carrots, diced
    1 stick of celery, diced
    A crushed clove of garlic
    A tablespoon of flour
    Half a tin of chopped tomatoes
    A mug of hot water mixed with a beef Oxo cube (or a pint with 2 cubes if you're cooking it in the oven)
    A tablespoon of tomato purée
    A dash of Worcestershire sauce
    Salt & black pepper
    A good pinch of Italian herbs or mixed herbs

Sauté the veg in a little oil until it starts to soften, then add the mince and garlic and fry until the mince has browned, breaking it up as it cooks. Lower the heat and stir in the flour, let it cook for a minute. Then add the stock, tomatoes and purée, stirring well. Add the Worcestershire sauce and herbs, and salt & black pepper. Put it all into the slow cooker for 3-4 hours on high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

That looks so tasty... I had to Google Boscaiola....

My OH makes a pasta with a creamy tomato and ham sauce (delicious!), but he calls it Milanese.
    Is it similar?

Sounds similar! This is the recipe I use:
    https://cooklybookly.com/recipes/0545f6ea-19d7-11eb-b7d6-4b58d3666b26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thanks! It's the grey marble looking bit in the back.. the pot was too hot to put directly onto it today :P We bought this one , mostly as we've nowhere nice looking to take pics in our dainty kitchen

A little bit of back lighting really helps lift food photography. Doesn't have to be a photography light but some bit of light from above and behind does wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The whole house had a vegetarian Indian meal tonight, I made a tarka dahl, red lentil curry from scratch, with assorted sides of samosas, pakoras etc (shop bought) with pilau rice and naan.

Curry made with red and white onions finely chopped, garlic,ginger and chilli, lentils chopped tomatoes (fresh not tinned,) and coconut milk. Spices - green saffron spice blend.

I know the curry isn't much to look at, but it was bloody delicious, there wasn't a scrap left on anyone's plate!

IMG-20210515-164311.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Fajitas and Nachos.

IMG-1930.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Barbecue chicken wings (lemon and cumin), potato salad and tomato salad.

20210515-181349.jpg

Kielbasa sausage with sweet potato mash, spinach and tomato sauce yesterday.

IMG-20210515-211541.jpg

Stuffed turkey breast and stuffing balls, all wrapped in parma ham with roasties and veg.

IMG-1940.jpg

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Stuffed turkey breast and stuffing balls, all wrapped in parma ham with roasties and veg.

lovvvvve stuffing - but not sausage meat stuffing.. sage and onion is sufficient for me.. wrapping it with parma is a great idea.. stuffing and ham of any sort - delish..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Marinated Minute Steak in a Ciabatta with homemade Onion Rings, Caramelised Onions, Cashel Blue Cheese, Brown Sauce and Mayonnaise.

9183-F097-C272-4009-9-D95-EE449-E2087-AD.jpg

Crepe Suzette to follow

B2-D6784-B-B1-DF-4-C76-8425-95463-DB0-FF2-A.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We had burritos - the picture is from before it was rolled up.
    Wholemeal wrap, cheese, brown rice with lime, black bean stew, guacamole, tomato and coriander salsa and a bit of lettuce.
    We stuffed ourselves, but luckily, there's enough left for black bean burgers sometime this week. :D

553289.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

[IMG][/img]http://imgur.com/a/N87s3wP

Lamb neck tagine type thing with couscous and grilled courgette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Pan-fried hake with lemon/garlic/chilli spinach and cumin pepper roast potatoes.
    yBoAtyx.jpg
    zb98bcZ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

We had a courgette, green bean and butter bean risotto with roasted asparagus drizzled in garlic, parsley and lemon butter then coated in pecorino. Also had a salad with olives, beetroot and gherkins.

553380.jpg

Pan-fried hake with lemon/garlic/chilli spinach and cumin pepper roast potatoes

that looks delicious.. you seem to be a bit of a dinger in the kitchen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

He's not baaaaaaad.

Matter Paneer, jeera rice and fresh, buttery chapattis

553403.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Just a fat b*stard that likes unhealthy things.

Just a fat b*stard that likes unhealthy things.

nothing too unhealthy about your Hake dish.. v well balanced and we all need some fat in our diet.. hmm hmm

Fried sea bass fillets with mash, baby carrots and tenderstem broccoli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Recliner

Looks messy but chilli, with guacamole, soured cream and kind of a taco/Marie Rose sauce.
    Served with grated cheese on top and chips.

Twas delish!!

"Sausage" rolls.
    The filling is finely chopped and fried up mushrooms, onions and garlic, mixed with cheese, breadcrumbs, miso paste, a drop of dark soy sauce and an egg.
    The side salad is quinoa with tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions and olives, mixed with a nice bit of peri peri sauce.

553506.jpg

Shenshen wrote: »
    "Sausage" rolls.
    The filling is finely chopped and fried up mushrooms, onions and garlic, mixed with cheese, breadcrumbs, miso paste, a drop of dark soy sauce and an egg.
    The side salad is quinoa with tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions and olives, mixed with a nice bit of peri peri sauce

that sounds and looks fab.. fair play - a lot of work went into that I bet..

that sounds and looks fab.. fair play - a lot of work went into that I bet..

Not all that much, really. The puff pastry was shop bought, and for chopping the filling I have something like this here. It's one of my favourite low-tech gadgets, it saves an awful lot of time. :)

Had the (fully vaccinated! Yay! :D) in-laws over for dinner. As usual failed to snap a photo. We had Moroccan style lamb meatballs in a tomato sauce, lemon and coriander couscous with pomegranate, roasted baby potatoes, cooking club garlic sauce and a lovely salad. It was a hit and they even took the leftovers home. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Fired up the pizza oven while the sun was still shining

Pizza.jpg

Spag bol.. a little early for a glass of wine, but hey it's Thursday :D

IMG-1965.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Giant bowl of carbonara for me.
    Eating nowt but Comfort food these days

Roast chicken with veggie rice - I've probably posted photos this dinner lots of times already.

20210520-183143.jpg

Roast chicken with veggie rice - I've probably posted photos this dinner lots of times already.

Looks lovely.

I must have a go at making that rice, but it'll probably turn to mush :(
    Any tips? :)

Chorizo/butterbean/tomato stew with spinach.

• Advertisement

Gyudon (Beef rice bowl), sliced up some ribeye super thin with onions, homemade dashi stock and some nice ever so slightly runny eggs

r.jpg

Looks lovely.

I must have a go at making that rice, but it'll probably turn to mush :(
    Any tips? :)

Here's the recipe I use (serves 2):
    *1 cup of rice
    *2 cups of boiling water
    1 finely chopped onion
    1 crushed clove of garlic
    ½ a finely chopped red pepper
    ½ a finely chopped green pepper
    1 finely chopped tomato
    *1 chicken stock cube
    A handful of frozen peas
    ½ tsp cumin
    ½ tsp turmeric
    ½ tsp paprika
    A pinch of chilli powder
    Olive oil

Sauté the chopped onion, garlic and chopped peppers in the oil in a large saucepan for a few minutes then add the tomato, cumin, turmeric, chilli powder and paprika cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
    Add rice and boiling water along with the peas and stock cube.
    Bring to the boil and them simmer until all of the water is almost absorbed, then turn off the heat and leave for 10 minutes. You'll need to stir it regularly as it sticks to the bottom of the pan and burns very easily.

*Lately though, I often cook everything but the rice in a pan. I cook a bag of Aldi boil-in-the-bag rice separately with the stock cube thrown into that pot, then drain it and add to the rest when it's all cooked. The rice isn't as wet that way.

testing...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Gyudon (Beef rice bowl), sliced up some ribeye super thin with onions, homemade dashi stock and some nice ever so slightly runny eggs

Is there room in your house for one more.. that looks aaaamazing!

Comforting, warm, creamy spicy pasta bake with mushrooms, peppers, olives and a good bit of garlic. The sauce was made with 2 tbsp of ajvar and 2 tbsp of garlic and herb cream cheese, thinned down with a bit of stock. Topped with mozzarella and baked until bubbling and browned... there were no leftovers.

553671.jpg

Pancake Cannelloni with ricotta, spinach and basil pesto.

IMG-1973.jpg

IMG-1976.jpg

so pretty - whats pancake cannelloni?

so pretty - whats pancake cannelloni?

Making up normal pancakes in place of pasta. Two recipes: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pancake-cannelloni or https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/recipes/2013/0131/745906-pancake-cannelloni-with-spinach-and-four-cheeses/

The RTE one looks interesting as it uses Cashel blue. I loosely followed the BBC one, but added parmesan into mix and added it with mozzarella over the top.I also changed the tomato sauce part and added in a shallot with the grated garlic, sauted both in the pan then added the passata and a heaped teaspoon of roasted tomato pesto.
    Pancakes need to be thin, mine were a little too thick.

Pics of the second batch I did for the kids.

IMG-1979.jpgIMG-1980.jpgIMG-1981.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Some Pork Belly

• Advertisement

Tesco's firepit lime tequila chicken steaks, cut into strips and stir fried with veg, noodles, sesame oil, soy sauce and sweet chilli, with some black garlic peanut rayu on top.

Advertisement