Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2010

1202122232426»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

He is a bit of a hypocrite tbh:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2007/1215/1197543944612.html
    That's what is wrong with the Negril marathon in Jamaica and most other town and city marathons around the world. This once great distance, made sacred by Philippides and Spiridon Louis and made famous by Emil Zatopek and Abebe Bikila, is now a phoney test of endurance, an achievement fraud. It doesn't matter anymore if you run under three hours or over six hours, but it's nice to say you ran quicker than Katie Holmes.

The marathon was never intended as a fun run, but that's what places like Negril have turned it into. Maybe there's no harm in that and who cares how long it takes when we can all share fresh coconut milk at the finish before moving on to the rum and Cokes.
    But there's a big difference between finishing a marathon and running it, and Negril really proved that. The line between the two has somehow been blurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    I liked this bit:
    wrote:
    Even if it was just for one day, to witness so many people intoxicated by endorphins – rather than alcohol – was a welcome relief from the frightening tales of budget cutbacks, crumbling house prices, etc. Perhaps marathon running is the secret to turning this country around. It certainly made my week, refreshed my ambitions and hope for the future, and I didn’t even run the thing.

He should have came into keoghs at about 11pm last monday before making that point :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    copacetic wrote: »

+1,000,000 O'Riordan is a complete hypocrite, he's even more of a "fraud" than the "fun" runners he used to ridicule in that he has now written a book for them to make himself a few quid.

A joke of a journalist.
    I expect this to be censored by his fanboys on here as has happened before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

3 stars (average)
    I'm no great fan of O'Riordan. Far too often his articles are basically a reasonably well written summary of Letsrun's news. Although he used to run to a high level I think that the fact that his primary duty is as a GAA reporter shines through in the lack of insight and analysis in most of his articles.

All that said it's only fair to point out that in between the two articles cited he did write one where he talked about his being brought around to the value of running slower marathons. It could have been that his editor told to stop pretending that he was an American collegiate athlete but more likely it was because he had just run or was just about to run a marathon in over 3 hours.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that in this instance at least he is not a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 di75

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but a big thanks to all the pacers, especially the sub 4 guys I wouldn't have reached my goal without them. I was running my own race and started a bit behind the black balloons. Passed them out before halfway. The sub 4 group then passed me on Roebuck Road, and I was determined not to let them get more the a few meters ahead of me. Crossed the line in 3:58 :)
    I have to say, it's a pretty selfless thing to help complete strangers in something so tough. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

4 stars (good)
    Has anyone ever bought any marathon day photos from MarathonFoto? I got an email from them showing me at various stages of the marathon but when I go to click on the thumbnail it doesn't display the photo of me properly. Any feedback welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

4 stars (good)
    BarneyMc wrote: »
    Has anyone ever bought any marathon day photos from MarathonFoto? I got an email from them showing me at various stages of the marathon but when I go to click on the thumbnail it doesn't display the photo of me properly. Any feedback welcome.

I have. If you mean they only show you a low-quality image, the pictures are better quality when you buy them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)

If you just click on the thumbnail on the page with loads of shots of you on it won't show you a bigger picture. To see a bigger version click on the "Buy" button and then on the next page click on the thumbnail, not the other buttons below it, you will then get a popup with a larger version of the picture displayed. That window disappears after a few seconds, so if you are hitting print screen to grab it you'll need to be quick. ;)

If you actually buy the full versions of the pictures digitally they will be bigger than that again so suitable for actually printing out yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

What browser are you using? I've found that they don't display correctly in Chrome, but when I use Internet Explorer they show up fine...

Bought from them last year, not cheap but a nice memento of my first marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    xebec wrote: »
    What browser are you using? I've found that they don't display correctly in Chrome, but when I use Internet Explorer they show up fine...
    I found that as well, with Chrome getting the alignment wrong so you could only see the top corner of the picture. If it is Chrome getting it wrong, or their messing about with invisible jpg's over the top of the image to try and stop people grabbing the pictures is another matter entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

robinph wrote: »
    I found that as well, with Chrome getting the alignment wrong so you could only see the top corner of the picture. If it is Chrome getting it wrong, or their messing about with invisible jpg's over the top of the image to try and stop people grabbing the pictures is another matter entirely.

Yeah, not saying it's Chrome's fault, just that it doesn't display correctly. Didn't have the time/inclination to go searching through the source code to see what the problem was - Marathon Foto should have a team doing that anyway...

3 stars (average)
    They certainly won't have anyone trying to figure out how to get the pictures to display properly so we can screen grab them. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

4 stars (good)
    Thanks guys, yes it's a Chrome issue... tried in Internet Explorer and the photos show up fine. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Getonwithit

Was Linda Byrne running in the marathon, thought I saw her in Phoneix park??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

4 stars (good)
    Was Linda Byrne running in the marathon, thought I saw her in Phoneix park??

Dropped out at half way I heard.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    In the absence of any telly coverage over here I've resorted to YouTube. This is apparently about 10km to go:

The 3hr pace group goes through the shot at about 2:10 and I'm just on the back of the group having a drink at that point. I must have made up some time as the 4th or 5th person going past at the beginning of the clip I know I was only just over a minute behind by the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    Good coverage in the Indo today. Pacers get a nice mention.

2 small but memorable things from yesteday's race. A guy from Eagle AC was running with a sign 'cancer survivor'. After Roebuck he was constantly having to stop and stretch as he must have had cramp. He kept getting back into his stride and running on. He was getting huge shouts of encouragement from the crowd. Everyone knew his name. On the front of his vest he had John - Cancer surivor. Fair play to you John. You are a lesson to the rest of us.

In the closing stages I saw Johnny Donnelly stop mid stride to assist a runner that had gone into cramp. A selfless act of kindness.
    Only spotted this post today.....Thanks Slogger J!......That was me!

As you say, I got absolutely fabulous support all the way round - It certainly gave me a lift......and hopefully give boost to others dealing with Cancer in their lives - that was the primary point of the 'cancer survivor' strips.

Got a 'bulging muscle cramp' about 19.5 miles ...thought I'd have my first ever DNF, but managed to get going again. However the constant 'stop start' got to me and I jogged/walked the last few miles.

I probably was too ambitious, but what the hell, I felt like giving it a good lash. Anyway....a month later...having licked my wounds....I'm wondering can I break 3 again??? Hmmmm....we'll see.:rolleyes::D:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Dropped out at half way I heard.

Went out way too fast. Cant understand it. She wasnt the only one either. Did she not look at her watch?

3 stars (average)
    Just got my copies from ExpensiveRaceFotos.com. Although the one running under the clock is what I was really after, this is a pretty good one I thought:
    5277381574_508d4dfdac.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

3 stars (average)
    Just got my copies from ExpensiveRaceFotos.com. Although the one running under the clock is what I was really after, this is a pretty good one I thought:
    Cracking photo. And nice to have your own personal pacer. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

3 stars (average)

Excellent foto alright..Pacer ( cant remember his name but helped alot of us out ) looks like he could run another 26 miles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)

I can't help but notice you looking absolutely knackered and Jason looking rather relaxed and slightly amused at your effort ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

That pacer looks like he could do a lap of honour

3 stars (average)
    I can't help but notice you looking absolutely knackered and Jason looking rather relaxed and slightly amused at your effort ...

What... no... you've got us mixed up... I'm the one on the left who looks like he's out for a relaxing Monday morning stroll. Dunno who the knackered looking chap on the right is. None of that is true. :D

I think that might be misty_floyds elbow sneaking into the shot on the far right as well.

Here's someone else who sneaked their way into my pictures as well: ;)

5276769245_95ccb4fa34.jpg

5277378532_5e43b0a2f0.jpg

4 stars (good)
    How about this one:
    -dublin+2+033.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Any link for Company doing the photos please ?

4 stars (good)
    anymore wrote: »
    Any link for Company doing the photos please ?
    Company?? Company?? :):cool:
    Joe Murphy of Eagle AC
    Finish Line
    Approx. 4 Miles

More from Alan Bannon, Eagle AC, from Walkinstown.
    This is my one.

.....Oh!......... and the official Marathon photographs are available here. Select race and enter your last name and/or bib no.

3 stars (average)
    ...not forgetting Racepix.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

4 stars (good)
    I'm absolutely shocked at how fresh the pacer looks...

3 stars (average)
    I was just looking as knackered as I could in that picture to make him look good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

4 stars (good)
    I was just looking as knackered as I could in that picture to make him look good.

No better way to thank a pacer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

4 stars (good)
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    I'm absolutely shocked at how fresh the pacer looks...

Two short years ago he ran DM in a (then) pb 2:55- and decided he could up his game a little, started applying proper training techniques. He's a total inspiration as a runner, and is coming on in leaps and bounds. Looking to get closer to 2:30 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Condo131 wrote: »
    Company?? Company?? :):cool:
    Joe Murphy of Eagle AC
    Finish Line
    Approx. 4 Miles

More from Alan Bannon, Eagle AC, from Walkinstown.
    This is my one.

.....Oh!......... and the official Marathon photographs are available here. Select race and enter your last name and/or bib no.

Thanks for info -photos are good.

Advertisement