Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    I'm afraid you're gonna be disappointed if you're planning to pi55 on Nelson's column too..........;)
    I remember when it was blown up ...actually it was done twice..first the IRA and then by the Irish army, to finish it off.

hmmm...were you even born then????:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    Condo131 wrote: »
    I remember when it was blown up ...actually it was done twice..first the IRA and then by the Irish army, to finish it off.

hmmm...were you even born then????:cool:

No 'fraid not.
    We learned in history ;).

PS - hope the (3:15?) training has gone well and that you nail it come Bank holiday Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

3 stars (average)
    robinph wrote: »
    I feel like seeing how the poor people get about for the day and trying this thing I've heard of called public transport. :D

AKA the peasant wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    PS - hope the (3:15?) training has gone well and that you nail it come Bank holiday Monday.
    Everything was 'flyin' until Tuesday - I had an 'incident' (not running related) - and am sore all along the left side - shoulder, arm, hip, thigh, knee and ankle, plus my back is at me! I should be good to run, but it sure has knocked my confidence. We'll see - still have 10 days! Fairly pissed that 12 months training and planning has come so close to going out the window!

Plenty of foam roller and pastry roller on the cards for the next while. wrt 3:15, I'd love to break 3:13:29 - that's my worst time, apart from my first (4:10:03). just praying for good weather conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    Is DART running on the morning (very early morning) of the marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Is DART running on the morning (very early morning) of the marathon?
    luas will be anyway....Where are you coming from on the morning ?.......If you want a lift up sunday am early give us a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

Dart isn't running between Clontarf Rd and Pearse all weekend. If you're going from city centre to RDS then bus might be best option.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=929

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BigBadTom

Hi Guys,

Just finished my last run long run there this morning and it just came to me as I nipped behind a tree in the pheonix park, what is the toilet situation like.
    I guess there is no problem up to about mile 8, (exit the park)

I really don't want to queue for a toilet and mess up my time.
    Is there loads of portaloos?
    Is there loads of queues?
    is there many alternatives, I don't really know the city well.

What is the toilet setup like at the start?
    Aiming at about 3:20?

Regards
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭plodder

4 stars (good)
    BigBadTom wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just finished my last run long run there this morning and it just came to me as I nipped behind a tree in the pheonix park, what is the toilet situation like.

Regards
    Tom
    Loads of queues at the start, and yes there's no problem in the park. But, iirc, there's toilets at most of the water stops and there doesn't tend to be queues for them (certainly not for 3:20 runners anyway). So, you shouldn't have a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

BigBadTom wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Regards
    Tom

i p.issed once during the belfast marathon after about 4 miles. i just hopped a road barrier and let loose. after that i didnt p.iss till i finished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

3 stars (average)
    has anyone got their confirmation e-mail yet with slip to print off yet.no sign of mine yet.

also anyone traveling by train from cork and i'd imagine kerry and limerick the first train stops at thurles and there'll be bus transfers from there on the sunday morning.not overly happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    psychozeb wrote: »
    has anyone got their confirmation e-mail yet with slip to print off yet.

Yes, a week ago. Check your spam filter for mail from racedirector@dublinmarathon.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

psychozeb wrote: »
    has anyone got their confirmation e-mail yet with slip to print off yet.no sign of mine yet.

also anyone traveling by train from cork and i'd imagine kerry and limerick the first train stops at thurles and there'll be bus transfers from there on the sunday morning.not overly happy with that.

when is on

3 stars (average)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Yes, a week ago. Check your spam filter for mail from racedirector@dublinmarathon.ie

nothing there either,can fill out form at rds on the day.i have original online entry with details saved.

3 stars (average)
    paky wrote: »
    when is on

october 24th;
    first train from cork @ 8:30 stops at mallow,charleville,limerick junction and thurles and bus transfers from there due to engineering works.don't think it effects the next train on the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

right to taper madness has now fully got me in it's clutches.

I've got a dilemma.

This is my second marathon - finished DCM09 in 03:56M

My training this year has been reasonably good - my pace in the race series was better than last year. (My Half Marathon was 01:42:18) and I wasn't dead after it!

Based on that McMillan is telling me to shoot for 03:35 for the big one.

My average pace in training is approx. 08:30m per mile (rough) - for very long runs I was probably averaging 9m miles in training.

I'm definitely going to follow a pacing group next week - just not sure whether to go off with the 3.5 hour pacers and see how long I can hang on or if I should go off with the 3.45 pacers and then see if I have enough in the tank mid way to make a push for 3:35.

My heart says go with the 3.5 group but my head says go with the 3.45 group. I think i picked up a little niggle this morning on a short run (why now just a bloody week away!) which isn't helping my confidence about this dilemma.

help!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

Ok, this is a severe case of taper tantrums, but panic has set in. I did my last long run (22 miles) 3 weeks ago (so 4 weeks out from marathon), ran Cork to Cobh 15 miler, v happy with it, then did a 17 mile lsr last week (2 weeks to go) and 11 miles yesterday. The problem?? Feeling absolutely exhausted. i did cut my mileage since the cork to cobh race, allowing for a three week taper, but have I made an absolute mess of my long runs??
    Followed hal higdon programme quite well until the cork to cobh race, when everything just seemed to go out the window in terms of planning. I have done significantly less mileage in the last week, so will I start to feel the benefit of this during the coming week? T
    This is my 3rd marathon, but i don't remember feeling this tired a week before the other two. (I do suffer from complete hypochondria though, so this exhaustion could be a form of that):rolleyes: i presume that, as I am luckily injury free and definitely have the miles in the bank, that adrenalin and endorphins on the day will get me around?? No big time target, would like to go sub 4 (which i did in my last marathon- Half marathon time 1.40 this year, cork to cobh 1.56)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

My opinion would be one of caution and go with the 3'45 pacers. Although a 1'42 half is a good time, I don't think it equates to a 3'35 or 3'30. Go out and make sure you get a new PB and get a bit more experience for running the marathon and then shoot for 3'15 in your next

3 stars (average)
    Corkie100 wrote: »
    Ok, this is a severe case of taper tantrums, but panic has set in. I did my last long run (22 miles) 3 weeks ago (so 4 weeks out from marathon), ran Cork to Cobh 15 miler, v happy with it, then did a 17 mile lsr last week (2 weeks to go) and 11 miles yesterday. The problem?? Feeling absolutely exhausted. i did cut my mileage since the cork to cobh race, allowing for a three week taper, but have I made an absolute mess of my long runs??
    Followed hal higdon programme quite well until the cork to cobh race, when everything just seemed to go out the window in terms of planning. I have done significantly less mileage in the last week, so will I start to feel the benefit of this during the coming week? T
    This is my 3rd marathon, but i don't remember feeling this tired a week before the other two. (I do suffer from complete hypochondria though, so this exhaustion could be a form of that):rolleyes: i presume that, as I am luckily injury free and definitely have the miles in the bank, that adrenalin and endorphins on the day will get me around?? No big time target, would like to go sub 4 (which i did in my last marathon- Half marathon time 1.40 this year, cork to cobh 1.56)

you'll be fine and when you stand on the line monday it'll be more 3:30 than sub 4 you'll be on target for with them times.we all feel the tiredness leading up to the main event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi Corkie, I think this a very normal feeling , just relax for this week, maybe only do a couple of runs to stretch the legs and don't overeat. Go for a swim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

3 stars (average)
    I did a 3.45 marathon for a 1.45 half. If you go out at the wrong pace you run the risk of blowing up, then again if you finish the marathon and you know you could have pushed yourself a bit more you'll be disappointed.
    Tough one

Woddle wrote: »
    My opinion would be one of caution and go with the 3'45 pacers. Although a 1'42 half is a good time, I don't think it equates to a 3'35 or 3'30. Go out and make sure you get a new PB and get a bit more experience for running the marathon and then shoot for 3'15 in your next

cheers Woddle - you are right - a voice of reason as always :)

3.45 pace it is.

might even have enough energy for a somersault across the finish line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

3 stars (average)
    Corkie100 wrote: »
    O as I am luckily injury free and definitely have the miles in the bank,

...and you have got a week to rest.:rolleyes: Classic case of temper tantrums.:D A lot of us would swap what you have got.

Seriously you'll be fine. Take it handy this week, eat properly and get plenty of sleep and let us know what your PB is on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

At the finish of the DCM when you are all happy and thrilled with yourselves, you will be awarded your medal and Tshirt. THESE are MENS sizes , so if you are size12 girlie or even a bit more, then xtra small will do just fine. MIne is even a bit loose/baggy. The lady let me try it on last year as there was a lull in finishers when I came in. I suggested to a few girlies around me who took the small to exchange it for the xtra small. At least 5 came to thank me afterwards. I get great use out of mine when short sleeves arent enough and heavy stuff is too much. They are super for winter training so just a heads up on them , so you will be able to get some use for it.

Jnealon wrote: »
    I did a 3.45 marathon for a 1.45 half. If you go out at the wrong pace you run the risk of blowing up, then again if you finish the marathon and you know you could have pushed yourself a bit more you'll be disappointed.
    Tough one

you've nailed it right there - i think i'm going to start conservatively and then if i've still got some spare in the tank come 20/21 - i'm gonna go for a fast 5-6 mile finish.

it was easier when I was doing the first marathon - goal was to just bloody finish! - now it's all about HOW fast you can finish - different kettle of fish altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Almac06

Hi Guy's.

Looking for a bit of advice. I have only recently registered to boards but have stalked the threads for a long time now and picked up alot of quality help and tips which have really helped me. I'm going for my 2nd DCM and training was really going well. I have completed three 20 Mile LSR's and one 22 mile LSR along with a few other big runs. Last year I ran 3:58, 1:52 for half 1:26 for 10 and 40min for 5 miler. This year 5 Mile was 33 min, 10 Mile 1:12 and half was 1:34. Times have improved and I am chuffed. I done my 22 miler on the 2nd of October and done a recovery 5 miler on the 4th, interval session on the Tuesday and on the Thursday I done 8 miles but did not feel right. On the Saturday (9th) I pulled up after a mile with pain in the thigh area. I have had 3 Physio sessions during the week and despite ruling out the marathon on Thursday and being absolutely devastated, on Friday a Physio found a lower back problem (had me in some sort of wrestling hold and had my back cracking like mad) which caused my Pelvis to be out of line and as a result this was causing pulling on various muscles in the thigh area.

Yesterday I ran a slow 4 miler + walk and today I was ran just over 11 miles and done some miles at 7:40 pace and was fine. If anyone seen me in the park when I finished it was like I won the Marathon but it was just relief as I thought my ten months of tough training was out the window.

I missed just over a week but did get a few miles of walking in, I lost out on a 12 mile run last Saturday and today was down for an 8 but done 11 and obviously I missed out on my interval + lactate session on Tue and Thurs. The legs did feel heavy today and I had a few twinges but they eased and at around mile 10 the legs did feel a little looser. I have had 3 tough Physio sessions + a massage yesterday so the legs took a bit of a bashing so I’m sure they would feel that and would cause the heavy feeling.

Just wondering where I stand now and what effect the loss of run time may have on me and for this week what I should do.... I know it's ridiculous but the confidence has taken a bashing with the loss of one week but as it's so close it has made me even more nervous than before but I do feel very relieved that I should be ok to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

4 stars (good)
    ct_roy wrote: »
    This is my second marathon - finished DCM09 in 03:56M
    My training this year has been reasonably good - my pace in the race series was better than last year. (My Half Marathon was 01:42:18) and I wasn't dead after it!
    Based on that McMillan is telling me to shoot for 03:35 for the big one.
    My half time was 1:39 and i am only going all out for 3:59,after 429 and 410 in DCM 08 and 09..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

4 stars (good)
    hawkwing wrote: »
    My half time was 1:39 and i am only going all out for 3:59,after 429 and 410 in DCM 08 and 09..

Jaybus, you lads have me worried now...I ran the half in 1:45 and was hoping for sub 3:55 in my first attempt this coming Monday....

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

4 stars (good)
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Jaybus, you lads have me worried now...I ran the half in 1:45 and was hoping for sub 3:55 in my first attempt this coming Monday....

Stick your fingers in your ears and start singing "la la la la la".

Never mind other peoples goals, focus on your own race and you'll be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

2 stars (poor)
    Almac06 wrote: »
    Just wondering where I stand now and what effect the loss of run time may have on me and for this week what I should do.... I know it's ridiculous but the confidence has taken a bashing with the loss of one week but as it's so close it has made me even more nervous than before but I do feel very relieved that I should be ok to run it.
    Forget about the lost week, think of it as a weeks rest/recovery. Just be positive now this week (& on the day), as 26.2 miles is tough enough without being negative and worrying about things too much.

Advertisement