Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    Has anyone else noticed that on the countdown clock on DCM website, they have us starting the race at 10:00am?
    (Think thet might have gotten the summertime ending weekend mixed up)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

xebec wrote: »
    yr.no is giving 10 degrees, partly cloudy with a light north westerly - couldn't hope for better!! But a week out it's probably still too much to hope for...

as long as there's little or no wind, I'll be a happy man. Don't mind the cold too much, actually enjoyed '08. Which reminds me, I must get to Penney's to pick up my disposable's from the bargain bins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

Speedy44 wrote: »
    as long as there's little or no wind, :D

I agree. I can take the cold. I don't even really mind the rain but I hate wind. As a friend said it is like running in strawberry jam. I fish a lot and use a website for wind forecasting which is generally quite accurate which is unfortunate when you look at Mondays forecast. I have however found that over five or six days it can loose a day so we might get somewhere between Sunday and Mondays forecasts. I'd prefer Sundays wind cause Monday looks nasty.

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

4 stars (good)
    How do people plan to get to start line from o'connell st, walk/jog, taxi, just seems like long walk before running 26 miles:eek:???

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jacky08

4 stars (good)
    What do folk plan to wear to keep warm before the start- cheap Penny's tracksuit and then discard ??? any suggestions appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

4 stars (good)
    Jacky08 wrote: »
    What do folk plan to wear to keep warm before the start- cheap Penny's tracksuit and then discard ??? any suggestions appreciated

I'll be wearing a cheap top and gloves from Penneys, that I'll discard just before the off - afaik they collect all the clothes and give them to the homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)

That's my plan. Bin bag on top if it's raining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    ronnie085 wrote: »
    How do people plan to get to start line from o'connell st, walk/jog, taxi, just seems like long walk before running 26 miles:eek:???
    Taxi....Taxi??? Most walk. Some, including me, jog.
    Wear something cheap and disposable. Big bags are popular - but for heaven's sake, dispose of it properly - MAJOR trip hazard!!!

I'll probably wear a bin bag, or, if I can find one, one of those white suits you see the Garda forensic squad wearing (on telly, of course ;) ). Remember to wear something on your head too - gets cold standing around - hat/cap/whatever. Pair of light gloves too - you can get a cheap pair in most pharmacies - allergy sufferers wear them. Old raggy t-shirt (probably your favourite :rolleyes: ) is handy to have underneath.

You'll want to get rid of the bin bag just before the start, but don't get rid of the rest - hat/gloves/cap too soon. I'll wear these for a few miles before throwing to the side of the road. Might even hang onto them a while after removing, before discarding. - hard to go back for them if you've got shot of them too early!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    Was planning on just the bin bag, but with all this talk of hats and gloves you've all gone and made me nervous about the temperature now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

4 stars (good)
    Condo131 wrote: »
    Taxi....Taxi??? Most walk. Some, including me, jog.
    Dont mind me, the madness is really getting me, taxi...... what was i thinking.....

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    robinph wrote: »
    Was planning on just the bin bag, but with all this talk of hats and gloves you've all gone and made me nervous about the temperature now.
    Minus 1 forecast tonight! It's the wind I'm most bothered about.

....and I forgot to mention that we'll all need a hat/gloves/change for AFTER the event. Every year you can see people shuffling along home, miles away from the finish, still in their t-shirt & shorts. You get cold very quickly afterwards!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Defrost

4 stars (good)
    Afternoon folks, My first marathon on Monday and it's all I can think about . I have dropped all carbs since yesterday as recommended in the marthon edition of the Irish Runner so I can load up at the weekend but the body is going "Hey" what the hell ??:eek: ZZZzzzzz

Does anyone know if the Luas is running monday and if the service will be affected by the race ?. I was thinking of the park and ride from the Red Cow.
    A long walk from O'Connel street to Fitzwilliam Square ?? don't know about that the biggest problem coming up O'Connell street will be keeping the adrenaline in check.

Best of Luck!!
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog or as I read in a gym a few weeks back my ambition in life is to die of exhaustion not boredom.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

4 stars (good)
    I have still yet to receive my letter or email saying that I've to collect my number at the expo etc. Has everyone got theirs or am I the only one not to?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pdiddyw

RubyK wrote: »
    I'll be wearing a cheap top and gloves from Penneys, that I'll discard just before the off - afaik they collect all the clothes and give them to the homeless.

you prob know but there will be baggage area provided....see belwo from official website

What do I wear on race day at the start?
    On race day, we suggest you wear old clothes or a bin liner before reporting to the Start. Yes, a bin liner! With holes cut for the head and arms, it will provide you with neat, disposable, waterproof protection.

Where can I leave baggage?
    A baggage area will be provided in Merrion Square South and will be open from 07:00 hrs. The area will be divided up according to your race number. Please leave your bag in the assigned area where you can collect it after the race. Under absolutely no circumstances will the baggage area accept anything other than the official kit bag, which should display your running number on the supplied label stuck onto your bag. You will be advised by our Public Address when to hand in your kit bag. At the Finish, you will be able to collect your kit bag from the same area, on production of your running number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

3 stars (average)
    Defrost wrote: »
    Afternoon folks, My first marathon on Monday and it's all I can think about . I have dropped all carbs since yesterday as recommended in the marthon edition of the Irish Runner so I can load up at the weekend but the body is going "Hey" what the hell ??:eek: ZZZzzzzz

I've read & heard some conflicting reports on this process. (Carb depletion a week before the marathon for a couple of days, then carb-loading for the last few days)

I read that it is good practice somewhere online, and was also told about doing it by 2 friends who are both personal trainers.

But I also read somewhere else online that it doesn't actually work. I remember reading it in one of Hal Higdon's books also, where he mentions that it was standard practice in the 80's but that research has moved on (however the book was written & published in the late 90's - early 00's)

So I'm completely thrown off and not sure what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Forget about the Carb depletion thing, it doesnt work. 80s thinking. does nothing for you.
    This is based on personal experience and speaking to other distance runners.

4 stars (good)
    I have still yet to receive my letter or email saying that I've to collect my number at the expo etc. Has everyone got theirs or am I the only one not to?

If you have your original acceptance mail you should be okay, but you could ring the marathon office to confirm if you're worried.
    Or just check your spam folder.

4 stars (good)
    RayCun wrote: »
    If you have your original acceptance mail you should be okay, but you could ring the marathon office to confirm if you're worried.
    Or just check your spam folder.

I don't even have that. There are a load of us doing it from work, and they entered us all. It's been confirmed through them, but I haven't got any personal emails confirming it.

One of the lads just text me saying he got his number in the post? Is this how it works? I thought you collected your number at the expo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

On the basis of not trying something new in the days before a marathon, I wouldn't recommend the carb depletion approach. Have you ever in your life gone a few days without carbs? Why would you try it for the first time in the week before you put your body through a massive physical strain.

I've never done it, and never plan to. As posted above, there's too much conflicting advice about it. Fair enough if you've done a few marathons and want to try something different this time to see if it gives you an "edge". I think Donothop is a guinea pig for the carb depletion approach this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

4 stars (good)
    I don't even have that. There are a load of us doing it from work, and they entered us all. It's been confirmed through them, but I haven't got any personal emails confirming it.

One of the lads just text me saying he got his number in the post? Is this how it works? I thought you collected your number at the expo.
    Maybe, he got notified by post what his number was. But, you have to go to the expo to get the number itself as far as I know. If someone else entered you, then they probably got the emails.

Anyway, if you're sure you're entered (and have a receipt or something to prove it), then you shouldn't have a problem. They'll sort it out at the expo.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    I don't even have that. There are a load of us doing it from work, and they entered us all.

Well then those guys should have the emails with the details. They would have received the email with your number as soon as they entered, and they should have received a confirmation with your acceptance slip a few weeks ago. Time to go down to their desks and see what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

3 stars (average)
    plodder wrote: »
    Maybe, he got notified by post what his number was. But, you have to go to the expo to get the number itself as far as I know. If someone else entered you, then they probably got the emails.

Anyway, if you're sure you're entered (and have a receipt or something to prove it), then you shouldn't have a problem. They'll sort it out at the expo.

If someone else entered you, I'd be more worried about that than running the marathon.

**Boom Boom - 1,000th Post**

I'd say you aren't entered. That happened to me last year. Arrived up and discovered I wasn't entered. You should do what I did. I managed to hit the National History Museum and went to a lovely mass in that small church off Dawson Street.

Only joking!!!!!!

Last year I had to get the organisers to fax me my entry confirmation. Assuming they still do it they are very organised and helpful in the office.

4 stars (good)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Well then those guys should have the emails with the details. They would have received the email with your number as soon as they entered, and they should have received a confirmation with your acceptance slip a few weeks ago. Time to go down to their desks and see what the story is.
    plodder wrote: »

Sound, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

4 stars (good)
    Is anyone else getting nervous about the Marathon next week?

Its my 5th and I am totally kacking it.

I need to think about something else cos i am burnign up some serious mental energy!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Badbark

Defrost wrote: »

If you've never tried it then as others have said I'd strongly recommend not restricting your carbs before the loading phase. Eat a normal healthy diet until Thursday and then increase your carb percentage in your diet to about 75-80% for Friday to Sunday.

Also don't make the mistake of a lot of novices and increase your overall calorie intake significantly. This will only make you feel bloated for the race. Just drop some fat and protein from your diet and replace it with extra carbs. Aim for about 9g of carbs per KG of body weight a day.

I find snacking on bread/fruit/energy bars or taking sports drinks throughout the day easier to consume that a few large meals.

I did this in my last two marathons and ran PB's running negative splits feeling strong at the end.

Would anyone know which are the better carbs. I'm told wholegrain rice is supposed to be good but how does pasta or even the good old potato compare.

4 stars (good)
    Moycullen1 wrote: »
    Would anyone know which are the better carbs. I'm told wholegrain rice is supposed to be good but how does pasta or even the good old potato compare.
    You'll be fine with any of those - don't worry about which is better. I prefer wholegrain rice. Remember to take vitamin C in some form and water to maximise glycogen production in the body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Moycullen1 wrote: »

Have a read of this. Low GI foods release the energy slowly and are better in teh carb loading phase but higher GI foods are better just before the race. The database allows you to see how many carbs are in a given amount of a food and how fast they will be released versus any other food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

4 stars (good)
    Badbark wrote: »
    I did this in my last two marathons and ran PB's running negative splits feeling strong at the end.

How difficult is it to do negative splits?
    I'm unsure about what pace to run at as I've bombed on previous ocassions and am tempted to run conservatively this time. However I also don't want to undersell myself so I've been thinking about going with a pacer group and maybe upping the pace in the second half. Trying to make up 5mins or more in the last 10miles is what I'd have in mind but would that be too ambitious?

Advertisement